shape
carat
color
clarity

Would greatly appreciate advice: buying a ring after 12 years of marriage

himni

Shiny_Rock
Your hands are not big! You are such a lovely person to feel guilty, I would be online searching for my ring, guilt free with a smile on my face LOL. Seriously though, congrats on 4 children and 12 years! I am so excited for you!! I am sure that with the help of PS you will find something Amazing!:cool2:

Victor Canera makes beautiful cushions, if you like antique cuts, and his settings are hand forged and beautiful!

But if you want to upgrade your stone later on, go with White Flash and get the setting with Victor Canera. I regret not knowing about upgrading options before.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My best advice for you is to take your time. And try EVERYTHING on. Do comprehensive shopping trips at a couple local jewelers with GREAT selection-- especially ones that are known for well cut diamonds. NOTHING impacts a diamond's appearance as much as cut.

I've seen so many lovely rings on PS (I used to be Gypsy, so I've been on here for thirteen years. This new screen name is only a year old) over the years.

SO MANY. And I've been blessed to try on many rings I've seen on here at PS GTG's, at vendors I've visited. And I've helped people shop for diamonds on here and in person.

Here's one example: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/joe-escobar-trip.223575/

You will be SHOCKED at how things look on your hand. Things you've never considered will look amazing. And things you adore online will leave you unmoved.

See what looks best on your hands. See what looks best to your eyes. And then once you've narrowed things down, then come back and the folks on here will be able to help you better.
:wavey:

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One of the most gorgeouse solitaire ring that I have ever seen is in the 2-3 carat world is a heart shape diamond on the hand of a customer.....she is a larger woman with larger hands and her ring mesmerizes me each time I look at it. And I don't care for heart shape...except when they are large and gorgeous like hers.

My 2 cents.

FM

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@farrahlyn @ILikeShiny I never got around to starting a 2017 JAWS thread with the tons of pics I took but these are for you (and obviously for the OP too!)....as you can see I totally had a love affair with her :love::love::love: I reallyyyyyy wanted to take her home with me but my new house prevents that for now....I hope she can go to a PSer so I know she's loved!
IMG_5426.JPG
IMG_5472.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ac117 WOW! That is gorgeous, impressive finger coverage! :love::love:

as a side note, that asscher in the temp holder is beautiful, how many carats?! :drool:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 WOW! That is gorgeous, impressive finger coverage! :love::love:

as a side note, that asscher in the temp holder is beautiful, how many carats?! :drool:

Hmmm it's been a while but I believe it was 4.5ish and icy white and I think the price tag was like $70-80k or something! But it was gorgeousssss!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 - Good gracious. How did you ever manage to walk away without buying it??!!! Truly stunning :geek2:. The gorgeous cut, the creamy color... just all of it. Wow. I was never a big fan of yellow diamonds but this one is just the bees knees :roll2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 - Good gracious. How did you ever manage to walk away without buying it??!!! Truly stunning :geek2:. The gorgeous cut, the creamy color... just all of it. Wow. I was never a big fan of yellow diamonds but this one is just the bees knees :roll2:

My (in process) brand new kitchen is the only really that baby ain't on my finger!!! :cry2: The only shinies I'm getting this year are my polished nickel knobs and pulls!! :lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My (in process) brand new kitchen is the only really that baby ain't on my finger!!! :cry2: The only shinies I'm getting this year are my polished nickel knobs and pulls!! :lol:
Lol hey that’s still something to look forward to!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The first engagement ring that ever caught my eye was a three stone with a fancy yellow center. Oh gosh it looked so gorgeous in the window surrounded by navy blue velvet. I was like... 19?

I went in and the nice people let me try it on. I was so sad to see how it looked against my skin (light olive). I just can't wear yellow diamonds unless they are set with white metal bezel or diamonds around them.

But oh my goodness, they still catch the eye and heart.

If they catch yours too, make sure you try some on and see how the look on you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's true. One time I bought a peach sapphire I was excited about. But it looked so blah against my skin, did not complement.
I'm excited for your search Valleyforge!

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
30K for everything. We might have a little wiggle room, but I would prefer to keep the whole thing under 30K.

Whiteflash ACA or High Performance diamonds are the way to go. Is the 30k just for the stone, or for the stone and setting? I would not go as low as J, but an H or I color would suit you very well.

And I don't think a size 8 is all that large, but maybe that's because I'm a 6.5 /7 lol.

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this advice!
I'm going to order some solitaires to get a better idea of size. I really appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!

slightly over budget and no, it's not a colorless stone but its BIG so i thought i'd throw it out there:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/4-71ct-antique-light-yellow-emerald-cut-diamond-ring-gia-wx-vs
I have no stone suggestions to add but wanted to wish you well on your hunt! Don’t feel guilty about spending the money on something that’s just for your enjoyment... you’ve waited a long time to have something you love on your finger and I have no doubt that seeing you stare at your new ring will bring your husband great enjoyment too =)2

Oh, I’d also second buying cheap CZ rings from amazon - both solitaires in various sizes as well as three-stone settings. Wear them during everyday life and soon you’ll figure out what works best for you. Keep in mind DSS is a real thing! I have an 8mm stone that felt huge and heavy at first; now I barely feel it on my hand and there are times I actually think “Eh, I could go larger....” :lol:

valleyforge

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berricle is a great source of experimentation rings. They frequently have 25-40% off and there are all styles including 3 stones.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you set on a solitaire, @valleyforge ? Or are you considering a 3-stone for more finger coverage?

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
You posed some questions about how color sensitive I am-- I think I am NOT color sensitive. Heck, I even wear black pants and navy tops together (cringing) because I just don't care. I only notice whites have faded when I throw brand new shirts into the mix... otherwise, I just don't see it or care. So-- I guess that's good and bad. :)

I am still undecided about a classic solitaire versus a three-stone, but I think I'm leaning towards the classic solitaire because I can get a bigger stone.

Thank you again!

Your hands are so NOT big. I'm an 10.5!

A 2+ carat stone after wearing nothing is going to be a big adjustment. Have you tried wearing a CZ solitaire of the same size? If not, I'd start with that. With 4 kids and a busy life, if you have not, you should test out "diamond" sizes. Here are two rings that won't fall apart the first time you wear them and come in a range of finger sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PX3Y83O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Round-CZ-Ele...srs=9399664011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516616720&sr=8-31

I'd also stick with WF and HighPerformanceDiamonds if sparkle is your goal.

Some questions. How color sensitive/acute are you? Are you someone who will search and search for just the right color nail polish/hair color/shoes? Can you see the slightest tint of yellow in the laundry? Do you obsess forever on paint color to find just the right shade of paint? Are you an artist/painter/quilter?

You posted a three stone setting. Do you think you'd rather have a solitiare for your budget or a three-stone? As someone with a larger finger myself, I greatly prefer 3-stone settings. They give you some width for coverage and they help make the center a little less prominent as they step down the height. It makes if feel less ginormous. Plus, 3 diamonds is better than one, right? This is whiteflash's butterflies setting. It usually made in diamonds, but I thought this sapphire picture from a PS member showed it off well.

upload_2018-1-22_5-34-36.png

The sides don't need to be the same shape either.
83aa178aa7b2944780f79786bbac8d27--cushion-cut-diamond-ring-cushion-cut-diamonds.jpg

upload_2018-1-22_5-37-38.png

For daily wear, a bezel might be quite pretty and functional.
upload_2018-1-22_5-40-42.png

So, give it some thought and give us some feedback.

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Hi! I think at this point I'm 75% for solitaire and 25% for a three-stone ring.
I used to love halos, but I am not as taken with them anymore, and I'm worried I'll stop liking the three-stone too. Right now I love the look of a plain old-fashioned solitaire the best. Darned TV commercials!

Are you set on a solitaire, @valleyforge ? Or are you considering a 3-stone for more finger coverage?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What fabulous suggestions! I have a size 8 and a three stone, love the coverage. Do you live near Valley Forge? I’m originally from out there!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I think at this point I'm 75% for solitaire and 25% for a three-stone ring.
I used to love halos, but I am not as taken with them anymore, and I'm worried I'll stop liking the three-stone too. Right now I love the look of a plain old-fashioned solitaire the best. Darned TV commercials!

I think it makes sense! It sounds like you had a family heirloom, but a small and dark/dull (?) ring compared to what you’re about to get. You will be amazed at the diamond.... we all joke about distracted driving with how the rings sparkle! Wear your diamond responsibly! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results