carat
color
clarity

Would greatly appreciate advice: buying a ring after 12 years of marriage

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Any opinions on this stone?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3905122.htm
I'd put in in a simple 6-prong platinum setting.
(thank you!)
The videos are a blessing and a curse. I end up focusing on slight blemishes and not loving the stone, but in real life, who knows if I would even see the blemishes?

For example, someone here recommended this stone-- it's gorgeous but it looks like it has some feathering or something-- I don't know the technical term- on the face. In the video, when the front view is shown, I can see something there-- but I have NO idea if this would drive me crazy in real life, or if I wouldn't notice it. If I lived closer to Texas I'd go and check out the stones in person. I suppose I could buy one and return it, but I hate to buy something unless I'm really sure I want it.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3893624.htm

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Yes! We live near Valley Forge and go walking there frequently. (Right now it's WAY too cold!)

What fabulous suggestions! I have a size 8 and a three stone, love the coverage. Do you live near Valley Forge? I’m originally from out there!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All the numbers and scopes look good. And it's eye clean...so I doubt you can see anything IRL.

The inclusions on the table are mainly crystals, not feathers. Anyway, you won't be able to see anything on the stone without magnification IRL.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not ring related but hubby is coming out there for the SuperBowl. Tickets from Chicago to Philly are running $600 each way that weekend!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find. I don't think that you will IRL really notice those pinpoints and tiny crystals, and other than that it looks very clean and the numbers show a great performing stone with lots of fire. I think it would be very beautiful. As a fyi, you may be able to notice a tint, especially from the side. I am fine with a bit of a tint to get a nicer/bigger stone, but just something to be aware of.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find. I don't think that you will IRL really notice those pinpoints and tiny crystals, and other than that it looks very clean and the numbers show a great performing stone with lots of fire. I think it would be very beautiful. As a fyi, you may be able to notice a tint, especially from the side. I am fine with a bit of a tint to get a nicer/bigger stone, but just something to be aware of.

Fabulous stone! Prices are so good right now, too! I’ve seen m-2-b’s I colored ACA studs and e-ring and they were soft white. I can’t say that I really noticed any tint.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put in in a simple 6-prong platinum setting.
(thank you!)
The videos are a blessing and a curse. I end up focusing on slight blemishes and not loving the stone, but in real life, who knows if I would even see the blemishes?

For example, someone here recommended this stone-- it's gorgeous but it looks like it has some feathering or something-- I don't know the technical term- on the face. In the video, when the front view is shown, I can see something there-- but I have NO idea if this would drive me crazy in real life, or if I wouldn't notice it. If I lived closer to Texas I'd go and check out the stones in person. I suppose I could buy one and return it, but I hate to buy something unless I'm really sure I want it.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3893624.htm

The 2.46 is gorgeous! Cant go wrong with an ACA.

The 3.1...you can ask for a picture of these 2 stones together to look at color/size difference. Also ask for a picture at regular viewing distance to see
if the inclusion would bother you...

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Update: First, I just want to give a huge thank you to everyone who gave advice-- I really appreciate it. I've lurked here for years, but never got a log-in until recently because I didn't think I'd be getting a new ring! (Fun fact: The ring that I kept coming back to was "Reena's Ring"-- it was (is!) absolutely gorgeous and had a Leon Mege setting that was to die for-- and while I would have thought I'd want something in that style, I'm going for the ultra-plain look instead! If I regret it, I'll be back here in 12 years to ask for opinions on haloes. :)

So-- I first started out thinking I'd buy a ring from Costco. I love their rotisserie chicken and their huge blocks of parmesan cheese, so why not throw a ring in the cart too? But thanks to this forum, I realized that there was a lot more to consider than the 4Cs. Once I started looking at table and depth %s, and crown and pavilion angles-- I realized I was way out of my comfort zone. I am about to spend more money than I have ever spent on ANYTHING (including all my cars in my life, put together!)-- so this whole process has been more terrifying than fun. So-- I came here and asked for help. (THANK YOU!!!)

I looked at some nice stones from Whiteflash (I had never seriously considered this company before seeing it recommended here)-- then looked at some from GOG-- then when I was back surfing the Whiteflash page at 1am I found a new stone that I hadn't seen before. (I have all the stones that I've "looked" at entered in an Excel spreadsheet along with a few notes of anything that seemed to stand out in a good or bad way.)

This is the stone that I saw- it's currently on reserve for me:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3954406.htm

I ran it through the HCA and it scored 1.1 -- so I didn't throw it out.
Then I looked at the video and really liked the way it looked (or I was tired... it was 1 am and I'd be up all day & the previous night with a sick toddler.)
The size (2.5 carats) seems perfect to me. I keep forgetting to post a pic of my old ring, but I know that a new ring will seem spectacular to me after the heirloom ring (which didn't sparkle much).
I was looking more for a VS2 than a VS1, but hey, a VS1 is fine. There's a pretty big crystal off to one side (around 9 o'clock according to the diamond report) but I think I must be going blind because I can't see it on the close-up of the diamond. I know it must be there, but I'm just not registering it. (so this stone way exceeds my expectations because usually, the inclusions seem super-visible to me under magnification).
I'm not sensitive to color, so an "I should be fine.
I care most about a good cut, so I decided to focus on ACA diamonds.

Here's the one I found--

Diamond specifications:

2.518 ct I VS1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
AGS-104093821005
Depth % 61.5
Table % 55.0
Crown Angle 34.3
Star 50.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 15.3
Lower Girdle % 77.0

So.... before I blow ~$30K on a chunk of carbon that isn't saving the world or finding a cure for cancer... can any of you give an honest opinion of the stone above?

Also-- I have never seen the Vatche U-113 setting in real life, but I like the pictures. Any advice on how to proceed (once I get the stone-- which I'm hoping is the one above but willing to reconsider if anyone throws up red flags)-- I'll contact Whiteflash to ask, but as they are closed on Sundays... Would it be weird to buy the setting, try it (and make sure the size is right-- I thought I was an 8 but I think I'm closer to a 7.75), see how it looks without the stone in it, and then ship it back so they can place the stone it in? I tried to google to see if I could see it locally (PA/DE area) but I'm coming up empty in my (limited) Google searching-- the Vatche website says "Vatche engagement rings can only be viewed through the brand’s website however you can purchase from one of their fully authorized retailers including Whiteflash and Since 1910." I'm not in any rush.

A million thank yous. I get scared the more I search because I realize how little I know, so any advice is greatly appreciated. :shifty: Thanks!

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
AGS-104093821005_Sarin-Report.jpg

Note sure if this is helpful-- it's the Sarin report that I got from Whiteflash for this stone.
I also got a *.gem file that I ran through a free GemAdvisor program. I've only run one stone through there, so I didn't know what the cut-offs should be-- but nothing jumped out at me as being too bad.

I think that Whiteflash has the psychological attack down pretty well... Liza (who's been great to work with) emailed me some pictures of finished rings with similar specs. I fell in love with pictures, even though they are not of the stone I'm considering getting.

valleyforge

Rough_Rock
Update... I bought the 2.518 carat stone from Whiteflash-- I'm having it set in a simple platinum solitaire setting with 6 prongs (Vatche U-113). I keep seeing photos of everyone else's gorgeous setting and am already second-guessing myself about going so plain with the band.... but I've already decided that I'll live with it for 5 years, and if I want a change, I'll come back here for advice and change things up.
The hardest part right now is the waiting... it takes about 6 weeks for the ring to be made-- and I think I probably check email 10 times a day "just in case" things magically accelerated. What's special to me is that the day that it's supposed to arrive just happens to be our wedding anniversary.
My daughter is super excited about my new ring-- I've shown her some pictures of what it will look like-- my husband just laughs at us (in a good way)-- he says that being attracted to sparkly things must be genetic.
I still can't believe that I'm getting a ring after all these years.... I think until I go to FedEx to pick it up, it won't seem real. Anyhow... I'll post a photo after it arrives-- thanks again for the encouragement & help!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update—I can’t wait to see it on your finger! That’s sweet about your daughter. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cant wait to see some pictures! I know the wait is excruciating...it will be worth it in the end!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fantastic!! I just looked at the diamond you chose and it’s GLORIOUS. I love that your daughter is so excited too =)2

Looking forward to hand shots!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll love the U-113. You will have lots of flexibility with stacking ring options. We're waiting with you! Can't wait to see pics!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valleyforge your new ring will be stunning. What a gorgeous diamond and classic setting! I am very excited for you and I am glad that your entire family is cheering you on this purchase! We look forward to seeing pictures of this magnificent ring on your wedding anniversary! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jackpot!:love:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sharon is saving her “cheers” for the official SMTB thread. :lol-2:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you're going to love your ring. My "I" ACA is white as can be. The U113 is simply perfection. I can't wait to see if finished! But ew, 6w is a long time!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting!! Can't wait to see photos when you get it!! :appl:

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is all great news! Very happy for you.. I received my ring the day after our anniversary too. I think I waited about 6 weeks or so as well.. might really have been 5 felt like 12.....
Just try to stop thinking about it... it might make the time fly faster.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results