shape
carat
color
clarity

Wire flower setting idea help

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone who gave me such wonderful ideas. It is much appreciated and I have thought on it a lot.

I am going to probably step back from this for a bit.

I requested a few quotes and realized for something fully custom like this:
  1. I feel out of my depth and it's very expensive (well, duh!) - I am not ready to do a trust fall and end up with a setting I don't like that was my idea
  2. I want this to be my "forever setting" (see point #1, LOL)
  3. I have always coveted Erika Winters' work, assumed it was out of budget, but once I realized fully custom with a high-end jeweler isn't far off...why not just use EW? EW is always the comparison I use for quality of finish and I love, love, LOVE her work...it also takes the mystery out of it (I would not pursue this design, I'd pick a stock setting, probably the Mariana with the cut bead halo)
Anyways...that's where I am at now. It will mean all other projects are on kibosh if I go the EW route. TBH I am a little nervous about working with her directly given recent posts about her terseness, so may defer to a retailer. I prefer to work directly with designers, but once I get a bad taste in my mouth there will be no going back, and the quality and aesthetic of her work is truly unrivaled to me, hence my dilemma.

To be continued!

Thanks to everyone who gave me such wonderful ideas. It is much appreciated and I have thought on it a lot.

I am going to probably step back from this for a bit.

I requested a few quotes and realized for something fully custom like this:
  1. I feel out of my depth and it's very expensive (well, duh!) - I am not ready to do a trust fall and end up with a setting I don't like that was my idea
  2. I want this to be my "forever setting" (see point #1, LOL)
  3. I have always coveted Erika Winters' work, assumed it was out of budget, but once I realized fully custom with a high-end jeweler isn't far off...why not just use EW? EW is always the comparison I use for quality of finish and I love, love, LOVE her work...it also takes the mystery out of it (I would not pursue this design, I'd pick a stock setting, probably the Mariana with the cut bead halo)
Anyways...that's where I am at now. It will mean all other projects are on kibosh if I go the EW route. TBH I am a little nervous about working with her directly given recent posts about her terseness, so may defer to a retailer. I prefer to work directly with designers, but once I get a bad taste in my mouth there will be no going back, and the quality and aesthetic of her work is truly unrivaled to me, hence my dilemma.

To be continued!

Best wishes on your journey. I totally understand wanted to give your top choice in designer a first shot at making your dream forever ring. Plus, everyone gels differently. You may have an awesome time working with her! But alas, first we gotta tackle that pesky budget/saving-money thing. Hurrumph.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Best wishes on your journey. I totally understand wanted to give your top choice in designer a first shot at making your dream forever ring. Plus, everyone gels differently. You may have an awesome time working with her! But alas, first we gotta tackle that pesky budget/saving-money thing. Hurrumph.

Thank you kindly. It's true, many people do gel differently.

I also know I am borrowing trouble. :lol:

I should probably have money in my bank account before I go batty anticipating interpersonal dynamics months or even years from now...LOL

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cerulean I think you’re very wise to recognize when you’re feeling overwhelmed and step back rather than forging ahead into something you might later regret. I wish I’d had this sort of restraint in the past, as I could have spared myself some very pricey mistakes!

You know I’ve got a few pieces from Erika and I adore her work. Feel free to find me off forum if you decide to go this route and want to chat more - or just want to chat regardless! ::)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I think you’re very wise to recognize when you’re feeling overwhelmed and step back rather than forging ahead into something you might later regret. I wish I’d had this sort of restraint in the past, as I could have spared myself some very pricey mistakes!

You know I’ve got a few pieces from Erika and I adore her work. Feel free to find me off forum if you decide to go this route and want to chat more - or just want to chat regardless! ::)

It took a few times of me steaming ahead to learn my lesson! Luckily, nothing was terribly expensive, but it was money wasted and extra stress all the same! I will be much more trepidatious in the future, or only let myself be impulsive with "fun" projects that I care less about.

And that is very kind of you! :))Your collection of her work is exquisite. Your french cut earrings are my favorite - I love a dramatic dangle, and fell in love with FCs when I saw those. Maybe I will have to incorporate a FC band into my stack...but who knows at this juncture!

It might be some time...but I will probably take you up on that as your input would undoubtedly be helpful. Can I ask what is the best way to reach you for future reference?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, I *think* I found a designer.

He is not someone anyone on PS has worked with to my knowledge, and the wait is at least 6-8 months.

So far he’s been wonderful to chat with, and the end result will be quite different than my original inspiration, but keeping with the floral / vegetal motif.

I am so, so excited.

I am reluctant to share his information as our project hasn’t started!

This is VERY very roughly what we are basing my ring off of aesthetically, and it will be platinum. The plan is to create a band as well. I will absolutely share his details and my experience when the project is underway!

E33ED5C5-BB2B-42F5-9E3C-3C8AB79ED2BF.jpeg

molecule

Brilliant_Rock

He is not someone anyone on PS has worked with to my knowledge, and the wait is at least 6-8 months.

So far he’s been wonderful to chat with, and the end result will be quite different than my original inspiration, but keeping with the floral / vegetal motif.

I am so, so excited.

This is VERY very roughly what we are basing my ring off of aesthetically, and it will be platinum. The plan is to create a band as well. I will absolutely share his details and my experience when the project is underway!

I think someone on the CS board was working with this designer.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think someone on the CS board was working with this designer.

Oooh that’s good to know! Do you happen to remember who? I couldn’t find anything…

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock

I am so, so excited.

This is different from your starting point, but it is stunningly beautiful! The texture and organicism! :kiss2:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is different from your starting point, but it is stunningly beautiful! The texture and organicism! :kiss2:

I can’t wait! I’ve always loved anything art nouveau but lemme tell ya, not exactly a common design style anymore, hah! Was thrilled when I found this artist…

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

I am so, so excited.

I LOVE the direction you've going in with this. That is all.
*I can't wait for the nitty gritty details to come.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well, here’s why waiting and seeing how you feel makes sense. I was resolved until I kept perusing and dreaming up ideas.

I am torn. Happy to hear anyone’s 2 cents.

option 1: I mocked up something I really like. Do I see if DK can bring it to life? I have design elements I pulled from he could base a ring off of. It’s out of the scope of his normal work, but then, this type of style is unusual for most designers. (DESIGN IDEA BELOW)

option 2: do I go with the artist I shared a screenshot of, and let him steer the ship. His work is impeccable, but I feel a little weird relinquishing control. I think because I’m an artist it’s hard to let go. And it feels like I’m onto something with my design. But then I’ll never know what he could’ve come up with…

this option is also likely more than double the cost...which is not anything to ignore

DESIGN IDEA

DA99C153-11A9-43E1-9B46-52718ADD3A70.jpeg

a head sort of like this with the dark patina, but with flower petals instead of leaves

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 6.22.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 6.22.45 PM.png

(petals)

IMG-7786.jpg

a shank like this, no diamonds

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 6.25.44 PM.png

Details like this on the leaves and petals

IMG-7785.PNG

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You already know what I'll say ::)

Are you crystal clear on every detail of your concept? Or do you want a desiger to help you fill design gaps?

Have you seen Seven Fingers' work?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the texture, patina, detail and ‘life’ of what you already see in DK’s Instagram (of what he’s produced) in pics that are of the same ballpark idea design - then head there.
If you are looking for something nit-picky that isn’t already shown there - this is where my hesitation would lay If ‘getting it right’ the first time is of importance with you. If it’s a guinea pig learning situation that all parties are on board with and are aware of up front - that may be a different scenario.
And I don’t mean nit-picky in a bad way towards you.
I’m nitpicky.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

If you are crystal clear on every detail of your concept, David Klass is a great choice.

Otherwise, go with a designer who will be able to take your inspirations and fill in the design gaps.

I sure have...they are eerily similar to the designer I have selected (if I go with option 2). I love love love their portfolio of projects. Dare I say, I think the designer I found has tighter workmanship (and Seven Fingers is staggeringly beautiful). Thanks for sharing.

It's hard for me to know what etiquette is for working with an artist...I don't want to offend by sharing such specific design ideas. But I am certain that their portfolio demonstrates the right capabilities to execute on my idea, but I want their input too.

This is tricky! I am SO used to having full design control.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
If you like the texture, patina, detail and ‘life’ of what you already see in DK’s Instagram (of what he’s produced) in pics that are of the same ballpark idea design - then head there.
If you are looking for something nit-picky that isn’t already shown there - this is where my hesitation would lay If ‘getting it right’ the first time is of importance with you. If it’s a guinea pig learning situation that all parties are on board with - that may be a different scenario.
And I don’t mean nit-picky in a bad way towards you.
I’m nitpicky.

I am absolutely nitpicky, so no offense taken :lol:

I know I want something almost sculptural, harkening to art nouveau, and exquisitely made. I know it's a tall order.

I do think that DK can execute really incredible work, but that "sculptural" look is not something I have seen him do much of. He did an orchid ring recently that is lovely, but it was a direct replica of something I believe.

I think it might be a bit of a guinea pig scenario...hmm...food for thought.

I want this setting to be my last setting for this diamond, hah! I think if I don't move on to another project my husband might throw me off a cliff. :lol: (Just kidding, he's been very supportive, but has shared his sentiments...this is the LAST reset for this stone and I agree)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure have...they are eerily similar to the designer I have selected (if I go with option 2). I love love love their portfolio of projects. Dare I say, I think the designer I found has tighter workmanship (and Seven Fingers is staggeringly beautiful). Thanks for sharing.

It's hard for me to know what etiquette is for working with an artist...I don't want to offend by sharing such specific design ideas. But I am certain that their portfolio demonstrates the right capabilities to execute on my idea, but I want their input too.

This is tricky! I am SO used to having full design control.
I used to be the same way.
But every time I've used a designer's design talent, the end result has been more beautiful than what I would have envisioned.
Like. Every single time.
So now I won't do anything else.

I'm a better jewellery designer than a LOT of people who claim to be jewellery designers.
But I'm (thankfully) not better than the best jewellery designers.
So if I want the best-designed jewellery, then I need to go to the best designers.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I used to be the same way.
But every time I've used a designer's design talent, the end result has been more beautiful than what I would have envisioned.
Like. Every single time.
So now I won't do anything else.

I'm a better jewellery designer than a LOT of people who claim to be jewellery designers.
But I'm (thankfully) not better than the best.
If I want the best, then I need to go to the best designers.

I think deep down, I know you are right. I appreciate your candor.

I am a painter, and I've honestly trained with some of the best living painters. (Not to strut my stuff...but I know a LOT about good design and craft.) I've dabbled in sculpture and metalwork, but I'm a 2D girl at heart.

But all of that knowledge doesn't mean I am a jewelry designer. I never will be. Although with time and experience I expect my knowledge to improve.

I am curious...how have you kicked off projects with designers for a fully bespoke project? Happy to reach out directly if that's easier.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always known that you've had formal art training @Cerulean. I don't know how I knew that, because I actually didn't know that you were a painter... It's just very clear from your post history.

The challenge with jewellery comes mostly in the form of transforming a visual into a three-dimensional representation that's safe for regular wear, I think. There are infinite ways to do that but only ever a very small number of "great" ways!

I normally send an email with a summary of what sort of piece I want (ring, earrings, etc.) and all my inspirations collaged into one single picture. And if a designer doesn't have anything in his or her portfolio that belongs in my inspiration collage, I cross that designer off my shortlist for that project (easy way for me to sort my options). One collage rather than multiple attachments because I usually don't want the artist inspecting each inspiration individually - I want him or her to take an "overall look and feel". If there are specifics that I know I want I'll highlight them in later messages, but up front it's most important to me to choose designers who understand my aesthetic, and soliciting their feedback on my inspiration collage gives me good ideas of whether they bothered to look at my collage and actually think about it, whether they're willing to help me design, whether they jump straight into mechanics of timelines and payment schedules...

Happy to chat more offline as always!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your idea!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you crystal clear on every detail of your concept? Or do you want a desiger to help you fill design gaps?

lol I just saw @Cerulean 's latest post and thought "I wonder if she knows about seven fingers!"

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I've always known that you've had formal art training @Cerulean. I don't know how I knew that, because I actually didn't know that you were a painter... It's just very clear from your post history.

The challenge with jewellery comes mostly in the form of transforming a visual into a three-dimensional representation that's safe for regular wear, I think. There are infinite ways to do that but only ever a very small number of "great" ways!

I normally send an email with a summary of what sort of piece I want (ring, earrings, etc.) and all my inspirations collaged into one single picture. And if a designer doesn't have anything in his or her portfolio that belongs in my inspiration collage, I cross that designer off my shortlist for that project (easy way for me to sort my options). One collage rather than multiple attachments because I usually don't want the artist inspecting each inspiration individually - I want him or her to take an "overall look and feel". If there are specifics that I know I want I'll highlight them in later messages, but up front it's most important to me to choose designers who understand my aesthetic, and soliciting their feedback on my inspiration collage gives me good ideas of whether they bothered to look at my collage and actually think about it, whether they're willing to help me design, whether they jump straight into mechanics of timelines and payment schedules...

Happy to chat more offline as always!

Thanks @yssie.

You've nailed it. The translation from 2D to 3D is my personal gulf of execution. It is lost on me, and all of my missteps in evaluating design have been functional.

You've given me some ideas on how to pursue the next correspondence with the artist I am considering. I didn't give much direction at all during our communications...and I am realizing now, that it is giving me some anxiety because I don't know what the end result might even look like. So I am comparing a tangible idea I concocted to...a ghost! I know his work is great, but I don't know what my ring will look like. The next time I correspond with him, I will send more images describing what I am after.

I will need to mull more...no impulse choices here! :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
lol I just saw @Cerulean 's latest post and thought "I wonder if she knows about seven fingers!"

I spend a little too much time on their site! It was a great recommendation. I may have to buy one of their yummy gold bands in the future...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If there is a designer with your vision that already does the work, that gets my vote. If it was me, I would send photos and general ideas and let them take it from there. However, I have zero artistry in me. I don't paint, draw, sculpt, etc., so that influences my vote.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
If there is a designer with your vision that already does the work, that gets my vote. If it was me, I would send photos and general ideas and let them take it from there. However, I have zero artistry in me. I don't paint, draw, sculpt, etc., so that influences my vote.

You might be right! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results