shape
carat
color
clarity

Wire flower setting idea help

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know we are supposed to like it because it's VCA but I do not. At all. The stone is lovely. The setting, no thank you.

I know right?! It looks like a bird’s nest!!! It’s so lovely from the front...but woah!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I played around with some drawings to blend some of the ideas that were given..different tweaks - sorry if they are a little sloppy!

1621454567483.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how well a bezel would work with this setting. Just sharing because I think it is really beautiful:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I played around with some drawings to blend some of the ideas that were given..different tweaks - sorry if they are a little sloppy!

1621454567483.png

I have a suspicion that handforged may not be the best method of manufacture for this. Maybe it would be ok, but the “fluidity” you seem to want might be a lot hard to accomplish, and casting may be better.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have a suspicion that handforged may not be the best method of manufacture for this. Maybe it would be ok, but the “fluidity” you seem to want might be a lot hard to accomplish, and casting may be better.

That's great to know - I am not sure of the differences, honestly, except that I was under the impression that hand forged is a bit sturdier and it's nice to have handmade...but if it doesn't make sense I won't go for it

I wonder if VC casts some of his more "fluid" pieces?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how well a bezel would work with this setting. Just sharing because I think it is really beautiful:

That is very pretty. I wonder how it would look without the pave!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very pretty. I wonder how it would look without the pave!

That’s right, sorry, I forgot you don’t want a lot of stones. Completely understandable by the way. Maybe plain petals with milgrain edges.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I like this idea! I don't see why you couldn't add an internal bezel of some kind into the design of what is essentially a modified buttercup setting by the sketches.
Julia B actually loves making buttercups and has several examples with profile pics showing how they attach to the shank in her profile pics on Etsy, as on her IG as well I expect.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/155474...query=buttercup&ref=shop_items_search_9&frs=1
Good way to see to get some ideas!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That’s right, sorry, I forgot you don’t want a lot of stones. Completely understandable by the way. Maybe plain petals with milgrain edges.

That could be lovely...so many choices! How does one ever decide?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like this idea! I don't see why you couldn't add an internal bezel of some kind into the design of what is essentially a modified buttercup setting by the sketches.
Julia B actually loves making buttercups and has several examples with profile pics showing how they attach to the shank in her profile pics on Etsy, as on her IG as well I expect.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/155474...query=buttercup&ref=shop_items_search_9&frs=1
Good way to see to get some ideas!

Thank you! Yes I guess it is a sort of buttercup looking style. I looked at more classic buttercups, but I haven't seen any of these!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Yes I guess it is a sort of buttercup looking style. I looked at more classic buttercups, but I haven't seen any of these!

She has some other more wire work type settings as well. It can't hurt to take a gander :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cerulean I've got a ring that's got a floral center!! Mine's much more organic unstructured than what you want, I think, but this is totally doable!

Original vendor pics of mine -
J_RDG_1.png
J_RDG_3.png

It's very three-dimensional IRL -
1621458485723.png
1621458612431.png

I actually took the center diamond out of this ring, and when I did I toyed with the idea of building the flower up more and bezelling a smaller stone in the interior of the petals. It was more rework than I wanted to do on an already-existant piece, but I think what you want is TOTALLY doable.

But here's my question:
Would you want the crown of the diamond to be visible from side-view? Or would you want the floral theme to come up high enough to obfuscate the bezel in profile?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if part of the appeal is the 3D nature of the petals. I love how the prong seems like it travels down into the petal and only one edge is on the stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with this - and I would go a step further and say that it might be better to find a vendor who's comfortable casting at least the flower itself in parts. You probably don't want the whole head cast as one unit - because it'll be really really difficult to shape the nooks and crannies precisely, and get in between design elements to polish...

I normally take a pretty strong stance of "find a vendor you trust and trust them" but I think... Finding the vendor will be key, for this project, and part of finding that vendor is probably going to need to involve conversations about just how painstaking you want the workmanship to be! I can see most vendors not undertanding how precisely and cleanly you're going to want it finished.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I've got a ring that's got a floral center!! Mine's much more organic unstructured than what you want, I think, but this is totally doable!

J_RDG_1.png
J_RDG_3.png

1621458485723.png
1621458612431.png

I actually took the center diamond out of this ring, and when I did I toyed with the idea of building the flower up more and bezelling a smaller stone in the interior of the petals. It was more rework than I wanted to do on an already-existant piece, but I think what you want is TOTALLY doable.

But here's my question:
Would you want the crown of the diamond to be visible from side-view? Or would you want the floral theme to come up high enough to obfuscate the bezel in profile?

This is...SERIOUSLY...a work of art! Do my eyes deceive me...or is there white, yellow and rose gold?

Good to know my dreams are not too farfetched!

To answer your question, I actually do like the crown peeking out in the side view. Now, how that's going to be done tastefully...I have no idea. I just know I love seeing the puffy crown if possible. Is that going to throw a wrench in things?

The other possibility that I haven't explored are tab prongs. Or something..really flat. Somehow. I am not even sure what would satiate my need for comfort and nothing snaggy whatsoever. I have seen so few examples outside of Edwardian rings and it may not even be needed or aesthetically pleasing here.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I agree with this - and I would go a step further and say that it might be better to find a vendor who's comfortable casting at least the flower itself in parts. You probably don't want the whole head cast as one unit - because it'll be really really difficult to shape the nooks and crannies precisely, and get in between design elements to polish...

I normally take a pretty strong stance of "find a vendor you trust and trust them" but I think... Finding the vendor will be key, for this project, and part of finding that vendor is probably going to need to involve conversations about just how painstaking you want the workmanship to be! I can see most vendors not undertanding how precisely and cleanly you're going to want it finished.

I think you are spot on. I want really want stellar workmanship here, which is why I defaulted to thinking about handforged, but I will certainly go with what the vendor recommends.

I know you've worked with a few wonderful vendors...

Do you think VC, SK, or anyone else may be up to the task? I imagine I'd ask around and see who I click with. Leon Mege and Hannah Maytal have also crossed my mind (but there is less in her portfolio that resonates with me, although the craftsmanship seems lovely)

If it is rude to ask for a direct recommendation, no sweat!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if part of the appeal is the 3D nature of the petals. I love how the prong seems like it travels down into the petal and only one edge is on the stone.

Exactly!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of thoughts!
Back in a few!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly!!!

Your drawing is all one level (minor variations) for the metal petals. If you have one end meet the middle of the next petal/prong vertically as opposed to the top, that would be closer to the original.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

J_RDG_1.png
J_RDG_3.png

1621458485723.png
1621458612431.png

But here's my question:

screaming, is this your rdg setting that never got its own thread? will you ever do one for it? It's stunning.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts That's the one! ::) These are old pics though, now it's got a red not-allowed-in-RT - Sako fixed the prongs up for me last year, I need to get some decent photos for the other subforum!

To answer your question, I actually do like the crown peeking out in the side view. Now, how that's going to be done tastefully...I have no idea. I just know I love seeing the puffy crown if possible. Is that going to throw a wrench in things?

The other possibility that I haven't explored are tab prongs. Or something..really flat. Somehow. I am not even sure what would satiate my need for comfort and nothing snaggy whatsoever. I have seen so few examples outside of Edwardian rings and it may not even be needed or aesthetically pleasing here.

Mine's actually YG and two alloys of unplated 18k WG - totally different colours though! I'm still surprised by how different they look and I've had this ring nearly a decade now!

So my first thought is - if you know you don't care for catchy and you know you've been happy with a bezel then it's probably best to keep the bezel. No good trying and possibly-disliking a different type of stone-holder right?

If you want the crown visible from the side - the petals can’t rise too far above the bezel. I love the idea of a bezel that sits right on top of a flower, the tips of the petals extending horizontally past the diameter of the bezel - your bottom left no cathedral version, lower the petals vertically and add a bezel on top?Sorry in advance for the sketch massacre... ;(

8382D9BB-8E7C-44F1-B58D-1DF674A25383.jpeg

I love Anabela Chan’s designs. So dimensional. She’s perfected multilayer florals, I think. What do you think of this sort of thing? On much smaller and simpler scale of course. But the asymmetry is so natural... But is this sort of petal too organic for what you want? I went more stylized, myself.

1621466480409.png

1621466514080.png

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean there is a designer in Melbourne that does a very beautiful floral ring.
959FD010-A56A-47E6-AC73-871BA02170ED.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@distracts That's the one! ::) These are old pics though, now it's got a red not-allowed-in-RT - Sako fixed the prongs up for me last year, I need to get some decent photos for the other subforum!

Mine's actually YG and two alloys of unplated 18k WG - totally different colours though! I'm still surprised by how different they look and I've had this ring nearly a decade now!

So my first thought is - if you know you don't care for catchy and you know you've been happy with a bezel then it's probably best to keep the bezel. No good trying and possibly-disliking a different type of stone-holder right?

If you want the crown visible from the side - the petals can’t rise too far above the bezel. I love the idea of a bezel that sits right on top of a flower, the tips of the petals extending horizontally past the diameter of the bezel - your bottom left no cathedral version, lower the petals vertically and add a bezel on top?Sorry in advance for the sketch massacre... ;(

I love Anabela Chan’s designs. So dimensional. She’s perfected multilayer florals, I think. What do you think of this sort of thing? On much smaller and simpler scale of course. But the asymmetry is so natural... But is this sort of petal too organic for what you want? I went more stylized, myself.

1621466480409.png

1621466514080.png

Running errands but I’ll sign back in later! You’ve given me lots of food for thought

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think VC, SK, or anyone else may be up to the task? I imagine I'd ask around and see who I click with. Leon Mege and Hannah Maytal have also crossed my mind (but there is less in her portfolio that resonates with me, although the craftsmanship seems lovely)

If it is rude to ask for a direct recommendation, no sweat!
I'm working with Leon right now and I must say, he loves projects that veer into art. Which something like this certainly could! He isn't cheap... But it's also totally not-overly-expensive given the calibre of workmanship... If that makes sense? I feel like his pricing (for projects he wants) is very reasonable for the quality you'll get. For projects he doesn't want - I do think he sometimes takes the ol' "charge the sun and hope they go away" tactic :lol: I've personally found him to be a pleasure to work with ::)

The other vendors I think of right away are Green Lake and Hunt Country. I've not worked with either, but I've asked both about projects and they were helpful, communicative, and honest - I'd happily take a project to either in future!

I've not worked with SK so I can't comment. I think if you prefer a less organic, more symmetric and stylized look - VC would be a good fit as well.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is a really hard style to search for! The closest I could get was this one-maybe with a bezel inside and no pave? But maybe not floral enough?

FD5A4DAD-BB9F-4A64-A3E4-15234595FDD2.jpeg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
This vendor has very flowy metalwork that is tension set, but a heavier look. Maybe talk to him?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

1621466480409.png

1621466514080.png

Looking at these - wow they are stunning. I imagine I might want less totally organic, but I am open to some amount of asymmetry, if that makes sense.

I am looking for a bit of a workhorse ring, functionally. Something everyday and sturdy. This was helpful to better understand just how sculptural a ring I am really looking for.

Your revised sketch is exactly it. I love the diamond peeking out over the edge.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This vendor has very flowy metalwork that is tension set, but a heavier look. Maybe talk to him?

Oh I LOVE Leen Heyne's work...I wonder if this project would even be executable, as its much more detailed than his work...but I do love his style.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results