shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you watch Prince William and Kate's wedding?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1304105889|2908161 said:
Although Catherine is now a princess, she is not, and never will be, "Princess Catherine". Lady Diana was never, "Princess Diana". To have one's first name used after the title, "Princess", one has to be born a princess, to be a princess in one's own right. Catherine was not born a princess. In certain, rare cases the monarch may grant a woman the right to use the style "Princess First Name", but there has to be a compelling reason for her doing so.

Finally, there is the matter of whether she will be called, "Princess Catherine". I can guarantee that she will be, because people are ignorant. It grates on my ears and my nerves just as it always did to hear, "Princess Diana", but we may as well all get used to it!

Deb/AGBF

Deb explained that well. I suppose, even worse, she will be called by the media, "Princess Kate." That really grates on the ears! I hated "Princess Di" as I'm sure she did. The HRH was the big deal with the Duke of Windsor, too -- more so even than with Diana. He was incensed that his brother did not allow it for Wallis -- apparently Queen Elizabeth (the QM later) pushed George VI to be firm on that, angry as she was with Edward for abdicating. The Duke insisted that everyone call the Duchess "Your Royal Highness" & curtsey anyway, all his life.

Re the MOH in white: it's very unusual in Britain to have an adult attendant in the first place, isn't it? I don't recall seeing it done before.

I noticed many guests dressed in BLACK, which surprised me. Not considered great form in the U.S., as if the wedding were cause for mourning, don't know about the Olde Country.

--- Laurie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this Prince/Princess/Duke/Duchess thing a little better. Its no longer mud,
just dirty water...and heaven forbid I have to explain it to someone else!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1304104515|2908151 said:
NewEnglandLady|1304103936|2908143 said:
In regards to Pippa in white, I think I read that in British culture the bridesmaids wear the same color as the bride.

I read years ago that the purpose of the bridesmaid is to confuse evil spirits (I think?) so that they don't know which woman is the bride. If that is the case, then traditionally-speaking, bridesmaids should wear the same color as the bride.

Now it's just the chosen color of evil MILs!

Hahaha. If Pippa were my BM I'd stick her in a mustard yellow potato sack :twisted: I'm sure she'd still look stunning.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having the bridal party all in white is really lovely, in my opinion. And I just loved the shot of the adorable "frowning flower girl." Priceless!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well personally I LOVED the veil. It was english net and stunning. I thought she looked very 'Maid Marian' and loved the fact that it wasn't poofy. Her tiara was perfect as well... William is not the heir yet and it was his grandmother's. Sentiment and class, not pomp and ceremony. I loved how understated all of her jewelry was. SHE was the real jewel. And as she is stunning and the bride I thought it was very fitting that everything framed her but didn't outshine.

As for her Grace Kelly dress... I thought it was very classic and safe. In my mind's eye when I think of a royal wedding gown Grace's is the one that comes to my mind. So no, it wasn't original, but really a royal wedding isn't the right time to re-invent the wheel. The dress suited her. The lace was stunning the brocade looked heavenly and I loved the train!!! That HUGE aisle in Westminster needs a long train. She looked like a cross between Maid Marian and Grace Kelly. And it worked for her.

I thought Pippa looked great. Actually it was the Queen's yellow suit that was a bit of an eyesore for me. But then again, compared to Sarah Fergeson's daughters (OMG did they escape from Whosville?) everything was tasteful. Who dresses those two?

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like we have a lot of experts here so I have a question. Does Kate, or really anyone that marries into that part of the royal family, change her name? Would she still be Catherine Middleton or Windsor or Whales or just no last name, just her various titles? I loved the wedding even if my husband is just celebrating that it is over!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do I see her name spelled with K sometimes and C other times?
Is this some Royal thing?

I thought her dress directed too much attention to her boobs, and I'm not even a guy who notices boobs, unless they're muscular and hairy. :bigsmile:

In certain pics they looked very separate and pointy, like that style in those racy 1950s low-brow fashions.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
indecisive|1304120620|2908295 said:
It looks like we have a lot of experts here so I have a question. Does Kate, or really anyone that marries into that part of the royal family, change her name? Would she still be Catherine Middleton or Windsor or Whales or just no last name, just her various titles? I loved the wedding even if my husband is just celebrating that it is over!

According to convention, her last name is no longer,"Middleton". As a member of the royal family, she will not use a surname. The current family name, if the family is pressed to give one, is Mountbatten-Windsor. When The Princess Royal, formerly known as The Princess Anne, was married to Captain Mark Phillips one of the left-wing newspapers in Great Britain reported that Anne Windsor's wedding had tied up traffic downtown. (I believe it was, but am not sure, the Communist Party newspaper.)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maid Marian played by Grace Kelly!!! And I heard that some of the motivation behind B and E's outrageous outfits and accessories was to return the snub directed at their mother when she wasn't invited. Apparently they're pissed at the grandmother and this was their passive aggressive "eff you granny and the corgi you rode in on" move.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I loved the wedding even if my husband is just celebrating that it is over!

Sounds just like home! DH loves to sneer at that stuff. He is from Holland & sneers at the Dutch RF too.

The main members of royal family don't use a last name. Farther down the line, such as Lady Helen Windsor, they do, but not the big cheeses. Kate will be HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. Probably popularly known as Princess Catherine.

On documents the Queen signs "Elizabeth R" (for Regina, Latin for Queen); Charles signs "Charles P" for Prince (Principe?), I guess. Diana seemed, from the little I've seen, simply to use Diana as a signature.

I thought the wedding dress was just great. She can hardly make a big fashion "statement" at a State wedding, gosh. (Diana went more in that direction & her dress was awful! Later, even she thought it way too fussy.) I only see coincidental resemblance to P. Grace's dress (lace sleeves). The neckline was totally different, the skirt not at all the same shape, and Grace's had a fairly wide sash. I doubt Catherine or the designer ever thought of Grace.

A pic of Kate's dress for the after-party. Can't say it's as well done as the wedding dress. I HATE that angora whatchamacallit & think white satin (or whatever it is) is kind of a strange choice. The bodice looks like she could hurt somebody, a bit pointy in the bust! :nono: But if she feels pretty in it, that's what counts.

--- Laurie

P.S. Yeah, those girls of Andrew & Sarah need fashion college. Or a fashion jailor!!!!!

kateseconddress2x.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh My! . . . another frock right out of Fredricks of the Hollywood catalog. :-o

So this is the new modern image the royal family wants to project? :nono:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1304121802|2908307 said:
Maid Marian played by Grace Kelly!!! And I heard that some of the motivation behind B and E's outrageous outfits and accessories was to return the snub directed at their mother when she wasn't invited. Apparently they're pissed at the grandmother and this was their passive aggressive "eff you granny and the corgi you rode in on" move.

ROFLMAO. Really? I hope that's not true. Cause all it did was make them look ridiculous. I think better revenge would have been to show up dressed WELL and outshine the rest of the royals, putting them all to shame. Instead of being petty and re-affirming everything that the Queen thinks of their mum.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved every single thing about this wedding! When I woke up a little after 5 am, west coast time, I saw her on the balcony and
thought, blah, blah, blah, but when I saw her get out of the car-stunning! You really have to see the whole thing for the full effect.

Fergie and Andrews daughters are the oddest looking girls. They need some help.

The pomp of all the coachmen and horses was incredible to see.

Here's to hoping they are blissfully happy for 60 or more years.

Thank goodness for DVR's!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Not crazy about the after-party dress and the fuzzy shrug. She should have borrowed Pippa's bridesmaid's dress.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a ton of details wrong btw.

To edit my post: his 'great grandmother's' tiara not his grandmother's. Her veil was silk tulle (although I DO think it looks like silk english net not silk tulle) and the skirt is not brocade. Just looked that way. It's embriodered all over with lace. Just doesn't show up very well in the pics.

Kenny... she doesn't really HAVE boobs. That's why she's got that bullet-proof bustier sown into both gowns. I don't think it looks bad or risque. I think it just looks like the result of some amazing engineering. At least she looks like she's wearing underpinnings. Unlike the dress from Whosville which looks like it would greatly benefit from well... a bra to say the least.

Her after-party dress was okay. My cats would love loved her shrug. I think she should have gone with something else over it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! Everyone hates the shrug! And I was so delighted when I saw it because *I* wore a cream cropped angora shrug with my dress! Oh well ... :tongue:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1304123060|2908322 said:
Hudson_Hawk|1304121802|2908307 said:
And I heard that some of the motivation behind B and E's outrageous outfits and accessories was to return the snub directed at their mother when she wasn't invited. Apparently they're pissed at the grandmother and this was their passive aggressive "eff you granny and the corgi you rode in on" move.

ROFLMAO. Really? I hope that's not true. Cause all it did was make them look ridiculous. I think better revenge would have been to show up dressed WELL and outshine the rest of the royals, putting them all to shame. Instead of being petty and re-affirming everything that the Queen thinks of their mum.

Well we know for sure that that is not the case since we have plenty of evidence (photo-evidence) that they were oddly dressed for years before this wedding! I know that I uploaded a picture of one of them in a fantastic hat into one of the old Pricescope threads myself!

(I wonder why the royal wedding is bringing out the worst in me? Why am I suddenly so judgmental about stupid things like appearance? Something to ponder!)

Deb/AGBF

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1304114192|2908242 said:
In regards to Pippa in white, I think I read that in British culture the bridesmaids wear the same color as the bride.

I read years ago that the purpose of the bridesmaid is to confuse evil spirits (I think?) so that they don't know which woman is the bride. If that is the case, then traditionally-speaking, bridesmaids should wear the same color as the bride.

Hahaha. If Pippa were my BM I'd stick her in a mustard yellow potato sack :twisted: I'm sure she'd still look stunning.

Too funny, NEL. One of our most famous national designers did a post-wedding dissection of the fashion and said that you'd have to REALLY love your sister to put her in that dress on your wedding day :bigsmile: I think that's probably a pretty astute observation!

Someone said it a few pages back in the thread, but it didn't appear to be a joyful occasion. Surely the couple and the guests could have SMILED at some point? As a woman getting married in 9 weeks, I hope I have a perma-smile that splits my face open by the end of the day. Maybe everyone was just nervous and concentrating on getting everything right?!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the second dress and the shrug.

Gypsy -- Whoville! hahahaha :bigsmile:

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Echidna|1304133198|2908424 said:

Too funny, NEL. One of our most famous national designers did a post-wedding dissection of the fashion and said that you'd have to REALLY love your sister to put her in that dress on your wedding day :bigsmile: I think that's probably a pretty astute observation!

Someone said it a few pages back in the thread, but it didn't appear to be a joyful occasion. Surely the couple and the guests could have SMILED at some point? As a woman getting married in 9 weeks, I hope I have a perma-smile that splits my face open by the end of the day. Maybe everyone was just nervous and concentrating on getting everything right?!

They did smile, a lot. Just look through the photos of the day and you will see it.

But as to a perma-smile, that would IMO have been totally inappropriate to the solemnity and formality of the occasion. This was not just 2 people's wedding, it was a state event of great social and historic importance to the royal family and the entire British nation, the wedding of the heir to the throne and the future king.

To be smiling during the hymns, the readings, the vows (although if you watch video of the vows Will was fighting back a smile) the processionals would have downplayed the seriousness of the proceedings.

This was not just a regular, everyday wedding.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
MishB|1304161783|2908512 said:
Echidna|1304133198|2908424 said:

They did smile, a lot. Just look through the photos of the day and you will see it.

But as to a perma-smile, that would IMO have been totally inappropriate to the solemnity and formality of the occasion. This was not just 2 people's wedding, it was a state event of great social and historic importance to the royal family and the entire British nation, the wedding of the heir to the throne and the future king.

To be smiling during the hymns, the readings, the vows (although if you watch video of the vows Will was fighting back a smile) the processionals would have downplayed the seriousness of the proceedings.

This was not just a regular, everyday wedding.

I appreciate your points, MishB. I certainly did not intend to be disrespectful.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1304123805|2908333 said:
My cats would love loved her shrug.

It looks like it was made from somebody's cats. Oh dear, I apologize for being...um...catty. Not nice.

kenny|1304122083|2908314 said:
Oh My! . . . another frock right out of Fredricks of the Hollywood catalog. :-o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304121923|2908310 said:
P.S. Yeah, those girls of Andrew & Sarah need fashion college. Or a fashion jailor!!!!!

Princess Eugenie actually made the cover of a magazine with this photograph. She and Princess Beatrice are very pretty, some people might say beautiful, girls under all that black eye makeup. They just ruin their natural, youthful beauty by the way they dress and choose their cosmetics!

Deb/AGBF

PrincessEugenieOfYorkAGBF.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little surprised at many of the comments here. Well, all except for the observations and WTH comments about Beatrice and Eugenia . . .

She was lovely. Understated. Classic. In other words, the perfect royal bride. Her personality, dress, etc. did not upstage the ceremony, the pomp, the traditions, or the "moment". And he thought she was beautiful. That's really all that matters anyway.

She was not trendy. Daring. Or even close to as stunning a bride as she might have been. But she is smart enough to realize that the very last thing William, or his family, (particularly the Queen), wants is for her to be The New Celebrity Princess.

She knows, far better than Diana (a 'titled' woman, who should have known), how to comport herself as a member of the Royal Family. Everything that she does, every move she makes, every understated gesture, her composed demeanor - - all of it - - is because she truly loves William. She knows what this marriage (job) will entail, and she's willing to be a member of the family, not the Star of the Show. There is a difference. And it will make all the difference in their marriage.

As for the person who thought everyone was so solemn . . . weddings are happy occasions, yes. But, at least in the church, you are pledging a lifelong commitment. Remember the words spoken at the beginning of the Anglican service (same words spoken at my own):

DEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought, in Cana of Galilee; and is commended of Saint Paul to be honourable among all men: and therefore is not by any to be enterprised, nor taken in hand, unadvisedly, lightly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God; duly considering the causes for which Matrimony was ordained.

The ceremony was NOT a state affair. Presidents and Prime Ministers from around the globe would have been in attendance, as they were for Prince Charles and Diana. The vast majority of the guests were their friends and family. It was, even on its grand scale, a family wedding.

The clothes weren't important to me. What I loved about this wedding was the obvious love and affection between this couple. Go back and watch the vows again. See the way he looks at her? THAT is the stuff of fairytales. How wonderful for them that it is their reality.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And for clarification:

Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall, and is not considered to be the Princess of Wales. She will not be Queen. The Anglican Church, which the monarchy must abide by, will not allow her to be Queen. She was divorced. Charles was divorced. Their marriage was a civil ceremony, and then 'blessed' in the Church, and unrecognized when it comes to bestowing the title of Queen. It might happen, maybe, but it would take a lot of behind the scenes wrangling and jangling in the Church to allow it. I doubt it will happen. But, of course, there will be many people who won't know any better, and they'll call her Queen anyway.

No matter the 'talk' about William ascending the throne instead of Charles - - it won't happen. Neither of them would want that. The lineage ensures that Charles will be King when his mother passes. William will be King when Charles passes. William's first born, if all of his children are girls, will be Queen someday. Or his first born son, no matter how many daughters, will be King.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1304181381|2908598 said:
I'm a little surprised at many of the comments here. Well, all except for the observations and WTH comments about Beatrice and Eugenia . . .

She was lovely. Understated. Classic. In other words, the perfect royal bride. Her personality, dress, etc. did not upstage the ceremony, the pomp, the traditions, or the "moment". And he thought she was beautiful. That's really all that matters anyway.

She was not trendy. Daring. Or even close to as stunning a bride as she might have been. But she is smart enough to realize that the very last thing William, or his family, (particularly the Queen), wants is for her to be The New Celebrity Princess.

She knows, far better than Diana (a 'titled' woman, who should have known), how to comport herself as a member of the Royal Family. Everything that she does, every move she makes, every understated gesture, her composed demeanor - - all of it - - is because she truly loves William. She knows what this marriage (job) will entail, and she's willing to be a member of the family, not the Star of the Show. There is a difference. And it will make all the difference in their marriage.

As for the person who thought everyone was so solemn . . . weddings are happy occasions, yes. But, at least in the church, you are pledging a lifelong commitment. Remember the words spoken at the beginning of the Anglican service (same words spoken at my own):

DEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought, in Cana of Galilee; and is commended of Saint Paul to be honourable among all men: and therefore is not by any to be enterprised, nor taken in hand, unadvisedly, lightly; but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God; duly considering the causes for which Matrimony was ordained.

The ceremony was NOT a state affair. Presidents and Prime Ministers from around the globe would have been in attendance, as they were for Prince Charles and Diana. The vast majority of the guests were their friends and family. It was, even on its grand scale, a family wedding.

The clothes weren't important to me. What I loved about this wedding was the obvious love and affection between this couple. Go back and watch the vows again. See the way he looks at her? THAT is the stuff of fairytales. How wonderful for them that it is their reality.

Wonderful post!!!!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I came on here to see if anyone was discussing her evening dress. I'm not a fan. I think this is where she could have gone a little trendier. Whoever said she should have borrowed Pippa's dress is genius! :appl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1304182942|2908602 said:
HollyS|1304181381|2908598 said:

Wonderful post!!!!

Ditto that! When did it become some requirement that a royal bride be this agressive trendsetter or push somebody else's idea of the "fashion envelope"? I thought she looked lovely and classic and understated, and an OTT wedding would have been hugely inappropriate right now, given the economic conditions, and in light of the utter circus that was Charles and Diana. I think the tone was just right. And I too was glad to see the obvious love between them. I hope they start a fresh era for the British royals, who've certainly had their share of emotional pain over the last 30.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I'm impressed that

1) the Queen and the Middletons are picking up a huge portion of the overall cost of this wedding, not the taxpayers,
2) the couple wanted as small an affair as possible while inviting as many friends, co-workers, and people from her small hometown as they could,
3) that their friends and family were seated closest to the altar, while the 'dignitaries' and socialites were relegated to seats further away,
4) they asked for donations to charity instead of any gifts, which has resulted in millions of pounds already donated to many worthy causes,
5) they kept everything as low key as is possible for a royal wedding, being well aware of the economic difficulties facing most of the population.

It wasn't a stunningly gorgeous affair as far as royal weddings go. But it was absolutely right for this couple, at this time. This couple is reminding me of William's great-great grandfather and the Queen Mum. How stoic they were during WWII, and how their example of behavior went a long way toward bolstering the courage and conviction of their subjects.

As they say in GB: "Good show!"

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone is outright criticizing Kate's dress or expecting her use the occassion to be an aggressive trendsetter - some people just have different preferences on dresses and with such incredible build up and speculation, there are bound to be a few disappointed people. Of course Kate could care less what we think as she should, but it's still fun to chat amongst ourselves, isn't it?
I for one think she looked beautiful and classic, and would not have wanted some avant garde dress, but still..it was a dress I feel I have seen before and therefore wasn't wowed considering all the options she must have had (many I'm sure which tstill could have stayed within the realm of elegance and tastefulness,etc). I think ultimately it's true that she dressed for her style and also wanted to be respectful of the occassion on a bigger level (ie the Queen as head of Church, covering arms in the Abbey, ensuring it was a British designer,etc).

And on slight tanget, have you all heard that Beatrice's ridiculous hat / fascinator (torture device?) has it's own FB page with 78000 followers. Ha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results