shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you watch Prince William and Kate's wedding?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
janinegirly|1303564810|2903322 said:
A British friend on FB just posted a shot of Regent Street - decked out in Union Jacks...so exciting!! (nothing like a royal wedding or a soccer match to bring out the flags, lol). I did happen to wake up at 5am today to use the bathroom and it felt TOO early, we'll see how it goes next week. I personally prefer to watch live if I can...

I think it's amazing how many of us watched Charles and Di's, even those who were very young. I seriously wonder how my DH didn't watch it..does anyone else know anyone who simply just didn't watch?! I think this wedding will be toned down (in comparison) based on their personalities (Kate is also 10 years older than Di was) and that it's not 80's anymore. I also can't imagine Wills won't be thinking of his mother. Sill the build up and anticipation/feel good element is hard to not get swept away with!

Any guesses on what the style of her dress will be? I see something elegant (not poofy), lots of lace/A-line or maybe in the spirit of Grace Kelly's wedding look. Definitely will be wearing a beautiful crown on loan from the Queen.

I didn't watch it then -I would have been 7 or 8, I think? Not sure what year it was. None of my friends or family did either, as far as I recall. I don't actually know anyone in real life who did watch. My grandmother, maybe? She was quite interested in the monarchy, I think.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why but I'm completely uninterested and won't be watching.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Any guesses on what the style of her dress will be? I see something elegant (not poofy), lots of lace/A-line or maybe in the spirit of Grace Kelly's wedding look. Definitely will be wearing a beautiful crown on loan from the Queen.

Me too -- think she'll have something simple with clean elegant lines. From her style in general I don't think she'll go in for much lace either, maybe a touch somewhere, maybe some embroidery. But I'll bet it will be really simple & elegant for its simplicity.

According to the Daily Mail, Kate wants to wear flowers on her noggin instead of a tiara. They say William & the Queen are pushing for the tiara -- hope she goes for the sparklies. Diamonds with her dark hair will be a knockout & HM has several beautiful tiaras to choose from. I'd be happy to take one off her hands!

--- Laurie

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
My best friend is coming over to spend the night Thursday night and we'll be up early (I'll probably try for 4 am, she will probably not budge until at least 5 though)... :mrgreen: we'll have our tiaras on and have a yummy breakfast and of course tea in my vintage English tea cups! Can't wait! We've been looking forward to this for months! =)

I also watched Charles and Diana's wedding, but with my Dad! His parents were from London, and I was just getting interested in our family history at that time, so it was very interesting to me to watch the Royals and how they 'do things.' My dad will be in Florida for this wedding...I wish he and I could watch this one together too. :| But I can call him at least...not at 4 am though! ;))

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I just don't find royals all that interesting. They don't make movies or music like my favorite celebrities and they don't have an impact on world politics or industry (huge fan of Above the Law's Legal Eagle wedding watch though!)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for the fashion cues. Otherwise I'm totally uninterested.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine and Jennifer -- Charles and Diana's wedding was in '81.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1303585073|2903479 said:

did i ask this? sorry, maybe my posts were confusing, lol. I remember it well, summer of '81 watching it with my parents.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
janinegirly|1303590302|2903550 said:

did i ask this? sorry, maybe my posts were confusing, lol. I remember it well, summer of '81 watching it with my parents.

Oops, no, sorry. It was Jennifer who said she couldn't remember what year it was. I think I mentioned you because she was replying to your post earlier.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I CAN'T WAIT! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I LOVE this kind of stuff :love:

Tiaras, crowns, carriages, horses, pomp, circumstance, it's all right up my alley. :cheeky:

If we don't have this kind of fantasy in our lives, what do we really have? Microwave ovens, tract homes, and dust bunnies. Toilet scrubbing, car repairs and fax machines. BOOORRRRINNGG!

Aside from my brief brush with being royalty (see April Fool's thread :bigsmile: ) this is as close as I'm going to get.

The TIVO is set! :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander -- I love pomp and circumstance too. I've been watching a few programs about the preparations being made (I love behind the scenes stuff). It's pretty interesting.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Zoe|1303593059|2903590 said:
janinegirly|1303590302|2903550 said:

Oops, no, sorry. It was Jennifer who said she couldn't remember what year it was. I think I mentioned you because she was replying to your post earlier.

Thanks! I was 7. It seems like such a long time ago now (feeling ooooold)!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I'm not watching it and I don't even know when it is. lol

The only royality I've been facinated with is the old gruesome King Henry VIII stuff...

ETA - Not sure what time the wedding will be on here on the West Coast. Because I drive my kids to school, they possibly would be having to stay home so I wouldn't miss anything. lol

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1303594060|2903613 said:
iLander -- I love pomp and circumstance too. I've been watching a few programs about the preparations being made (I love behind the scenes stuff). It's pretty interesting.

WHERE? Where are these shows? I want to see! :wavey:

If you give me the title, maybe the TIVO will find a rerun!

Did you ever see that PBS series about behind-the-scenes at Buckingham Palace? They had a guy whose job it was to measure the space between the place settings at the banquets. It was awesome.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1303596265|2903638 said:
Zoe|1303594060|2903613 said:

WHERE? Where are these shows? I want to see! :wavey:

If you give me the title, maybe the TIVO will find a rerun!

Did you ever see that PBS series about behind-the-scenes at Buckingham Palace? They had a guy whose job it was to measure the space between the place settings at the banquets. It was awesome.

CNN has been showing a lot royal specials (CNN International too)-

And I agree, I love pomp and cirucmstance! Graduations, weddings, showers, formalities, high teas - I mean these things are dying out fast and then what are we left with, reality TV and natural disaster coverage?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander -- One of the shows I just watched is "William and Kate: A Royal Wedding." It was on PBS at 8:00 EST last night. I've seen a few other shows but I can't remember their names.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be watching for sure, but I have it set to record, then I'll watch later in the day.

I am really interested in what her dress will look like--I kind of work in the fashion industry so I am really into fabrics and patterns, etc. She may want simple, but given the size and grandness of the church she will have to wear something that fills that space--maybe a simple-ish Grace Kelley-ish ball gown look???? I am hoping she will have taken a piece of Princess Diana's gown and her own mother's gown and sewn it into her gown somewhere. I hope she has a bit of hand embroidery and beading that represents both her and Prince William's interests.

Hugs,
MDS

JewelFreak|1303570661|2903360 said:

Me too -- think she'll have something simple with clean elegant lines. From her style in general I don't think she'll go in for much lace either, maybe a touch somewhere, maybe some embroidery. But I'll bet it will be really simple & elegant for its simplicity.

According to the Daily Mail, Kate wants to wear flowers on her noggin instead of a tiara. They say William & the Queen are pushing for the tiara -- hope she goes for the sparklies. Diamonds with her dark hair will be a knockout & HM has several beautiful tiaras to choose from. I'd be happy to take one off her hands!

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, I will not watch it. After the Charles and Diana wedding, Charles and Diana divorce, Diana death, and Charles and Camilla wedding, I'm done. I've seen a lot of media hype about how this is true love, Kate is so beautiful, blah, blah. All I can say is I'm glad I'm an American and we don't have a monarchy. I think the idea that one family should have hereditary rule is a fiction and an affront to democracy, even in a watered down "constitutional democracy" and symbolic form. If I lived in the UK, I'd be for abolishing the monarchy, I'd let Prince William and Kate have a private wedding, and I'd let them pay for it themselves. I wish them well, I hope they have a happier life together than Prince William's parents, but, no, I really don't feel very connected to it and have no desire to watch it.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
MC|1303594809|2903622 said:
The only royality I've been facinated with is the old gruesome King Henry VIII stuff...l

There something to be said for that. :bigsmile:

I'd add the Elizabeth I/ Mary, Queen of Scots stuff is interesting history and makes good historical fiction too.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1303648952|2903963 said:
No, I will not watch it. After the Charles and Diana wedding, Charles and Diana divorce, Diana death, and Charles and Camilla wedding, I'm done. I've seen a lot of media hype about how this is true love, Kate is so beautiful, blah, blah. All I can say is I'm glad I'm an American and we don't have a monarchy. I think the idea that one family should have hereditary rule is a fiction and an affront to democracy, even in a watered down "constitutional democracy" and symbolic form. If I lived in the UK, I'd be for abolishing the monarchy, I'd let Prince William and Kate have a private wedding, and I'd let them pay for it themselves. I wish them well, I hope they have a happier life together than Prince William's parents, but, no, I really don't feel very connected to it and have no desire to watch it.

But Danny, there might be Tiaras! :appl:

Surely the sighting of a tiara, in it's proper context, is worth Something. :lol:

Glad to see you posting, BTW :bigsmile:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Danny. After all the let down of Charles and Diana's failed marriage I have no interest in watching another royal wedding. The fairytale ended up being a big fat lie. I was about Diana's age and married about the same time and so excited. I don't want to see the whole mess happen again. I hate Charles and Camilla, The Royals are a mess, and the Monarchy a joke. Let them get married quietly and live their lives in peace.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1303661269|2904037 said:
Imdanny|1303648952|2903963 said:

But Danny, there might be Tiaras! :appl:

Surely the sighting of a tiara, in it's proper context, is worth Something. :lol:

Glad to see you posting, BTW :bigsmile:

There better be one! I don't want none of this "flowers in the hair" stuff. Fine for banging a bottle on a ship and what not but I would like to see the jewels. You got me there!

I'm glad to see you posting, too, iLander. :wavey:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so who's up at a crazy hour?

I'm watching already.

I'll be looking out for my patient who will be attending (he is a Lord) we had a good chat in clinic this week :))

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I am, but I should have made some scones for sustenance!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I will watch ( but I won't take time off work). I will watch another "royal" couple become oppressors of a class who doesn't seem to realize that's what's going on. Yup...I said it! Best wishes to Katherine and William.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm up and watching. I think it's boring so far; can't wait to see some of the foreign royals arrive.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, I'm really watching for the jewels and the dress only if I'm honest!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I'm awake - anyone else? Woke and saw William and Harry arrive, awwww. Honestly this is a big part of the draw, having watched him grow up and now he's grown up and looks so dashing through it all. Not all dress and jewels for me, but of course can't wait to see...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've got my cup of English breakfast tea in my hand, and scones with clotted cream next to me.

Can't wait to see what she chose for a gown!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Yay oupear! I see the dress, looks like I wasn't too far off = lace on top and very similar to grace kelly's..but I only can see a glimpse from what I can see! I don't see flowers on the head at least ;-).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results