shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
No choice. Unless I want to live as a hermit without a job. Where I live unless you have a medical exemption (serious grounds only) you MUST be vaccinated to access public spaces (offices, malls, restaurants etc.). And even then you need a PCR every month. And once it’s been over 6 months you need a booster or another vaccine to still be considered as “vaccinated”.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why 8 (or possibly 6) months? It is expected that these booster doses will be offered to those who received their second dose of Pfizer or Moderna eight months earlier, although on August 26, 2021, the Wall Street Journal reported that, according to an unnamed official, the doses might be given as early as six months after the second dose (this was not confirmed by the White House or the FDA). Research shows that the vaccines protect against severe infection and hospitalizationthrough six months, but there is evidence that efficacy against infection may begin to decline at around six months after the second dose — although having a longer duration between vaccine doses may help provide stronger and more persistent immunoprotection, as it gives the immune system time to mature (i.e., improve the quality of antibodies). According to the COVID-19 Response Team, "eight months after the second dose" is not a "magical" number, but rather was chosen after reviewing published evidence and trends in declining efficacy observed in other countries, and using their own and other expert clinical judgement.

KEY POINTS:

• Unless contraindicated, strongly consider getting any of the vaccines after talking with your doctor — current data shows they can help protect you
    To find out more about who can get the vaccine and who should not be vaccinated, read about whether pre-existing conditions should stop you from getting the vaccine.
  • The vaccine is free (for now)
    The cost of the vaccine will be covered by Medicare and most insurance plans, some even if received outside your network. However, certain alternative healthcare plans (ex: short-term limited duration insurance) may charge a copay. People who are uninsured can be vaccinated for free. Their healthcare providers will need to submit a reimbursement claim to the Provider Relief Fund.
  • You can't get COVID or spread it from the vaccine
    The mRNA vaccines don't contain virus. They instruct your body to make a protein found on the virus that triggers an immune reaction, creating immunity to the virus. The mRNA never enters the cell's nucleus, so it never interacts with or becomes part of your DNA. It also doesn't stick around inside the body — it's broken down once the protein is made. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses a genetically-modified adenovirus (which cannot replicate in humans) to carry a piece of DNA into the nuclei of cells, where it is read and copied into mRNA, which then, like the mRNA vaccines, instructs the cell to make the SARS-Cov-2 spike protein. DNA from the genetically-modified adenovirus (Ad26.COV2.S) is not integrated into the genome of the person being vaccinated.
  • Get the 2nd shot if you get an mRNA vaccine!
    While the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine requires only one shot, the mRNA vaccines require two shots. You may only get about 52% protection between the first and second mRNA shot but 94% to 95% after the second. Come back about 21 days later for Pfizer and 28 days later for Moderna second doses (while the second dose should be given as close to this recommended interval as possible, it's okay to get it up to 4 days early or up to 6 weeks after the first dose. Even if you miss the extended interval, you should still get your second shot, although you'll have less protection during that time). If you get a first shot, use v-safeto set a reminder on a smartphone for when to get second shot, as well as to reports side effects.
  • Don't assume you're protected from COVID-19 immediately after receiving a shot
    High protection occurs about 2 weeks after a single dose of the J&J vaccine (although additional protection may occur at 4 weeks or later) or 2 weeks after the 2nd dose of mRNA vaccine. Don't assume you're protected during the 21 to 28 days between the first and second mRNA COVID-19 vaccine shots.
  • Be prepared for side effects, but don't worry if you don't experience any
    Injection site pain (typical for any vaccine) and flu-like symptoms are the most common side effects for any of the vaccines. These side effects are typically short-lived, and some people don't experience any. Rarely, severe side effects occur.
  • Get the booster 8 months (or possibly 6 months) after your 2nd shot of Pfizer or Moderna, due to waning immunity
    Boosters will be available starting the week of September 20, 2021.

Experts have stated that people who received the J&J vaccine will likely need to receive a booster dose, and separate booster recommendations are expected for these individuals. Early studies among people who already received one dose of the J&J vaccine showed that a full booster dose of the J&J vaccine given six months after the first dose induced a nine-fold increase in spike-binding antibody levels compared to levels four weeks after the original dose. Even just a one-quarter dose was able to increase levels six- to eight-fold (Sadoff, medRxiv 2021 – preprint).

As of August 9, 2021, out of the more than 351 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered, 6,631 deaths following vaccination have been reported to VAERS (0.0019%). However, reviews of death certificates, autopsies, and medical records associated with these reports have found no causal link to the COVID-19 vaccines (Selected Adverse Events Reported after COVID-19 Vaccination, 8/9/21).

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my booster! It was my third Moderna. The pharmacist warned me that most are reporting a similar reaction to their second shot. I'm expecting to feel it in about 12 hours and hopefully sleep through most of it. I'll let you know how it goes!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'll likely get it.

cheers--Sharon

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’ll get it, for sure. I had some scary symptoms after my second Pfizer dose, but I feel my best choice is to get the booster when available.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes for me. I am a nurse in long term care and the vaccine is mandated. We are currently dealing with a bit of an outbreak in my facility so I’d rather have the booster than not.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my booster! It was my third Moderna. The pharmacist warned me that most are reporting a similar reaction to their second shot. I'm expecting to feel it in about 12 hours and hopefully sleep through most of it. I'll let you know how it goes!

How are you feeling today @Asscherhalo_lover? I hope you are through the worst of the symptoms and on the upswing to feeling well again. And happy in the knowledge that soon you will be as best protected as possible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes for me. I am a nurse in long term care and the vaccine is mandated. We are currently dealing with a bit of an outbreak in my facility so I’d rather have the booster than not.

Thank you @Diamond*Dana for all you do to help others and I hope you can get the booster ASAP. Stay safe and be well.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you feeling today @Asscherhalo_lover? I hope you are through the worst of the symptoms and on the upswing to feeling well again. And happy in the knowledge that soon you will be as best protected as possible.

I just woke up, I still had a strong reaction but not as bad as last time! Sore arm as usual. About 12 hours from getting the shot I started with the chills and feeling off. I snuggled myself into bed as best as possible and the fever broke at about 2am (last time it was much longer). I did not have the body aches or the crushing headache this time. I'm pretty much feeling normal this morning, last time it was over 36 hours until I felt better (from the shot). This time, only about 18 hours.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'm booked for my booster tomorrow and quite frankly I am anxious about it. I'll eat beforehand this time, so I don't feel faint post shot like I did last time. I feel like a science experiment; hope I don't grow a third toe.

cheers--Sharon

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Diamond*Dana for all you do to help others and I hope you can get the booster ASAP. Stay safe and be well.

How nice of you, thank you! I hope you stay safe and well also!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
No choice. Unless I want to live as a hermit without a job. Where I live unless you have a medical exemption (serious grounds only) you MUST be vaccinated to access public spaces (offices, malls, restaurants etc.). And even then you need a PCR every month. And once it’s been over 6 months you need a booster or another vaccine to still be considered as “vaccinated”.

everyone has a choice

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I'm booked for my booster tomorrow and quite frankly I am anxious about it. I'll eat beforehand this time, so I don't feel faint post shot like I did last time. I feel like a science experiment; hope I don't grow a third toe.

cheers--Sharon

Good luck Sharon! I hope it goes smoothly!

How nice of you, thank you! I hope you stay safe and well also!

Thank you! ❤️

everyone has a choice

I agree. Everyone has a choice. Make the right choice. Please.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not immune compromised so I don't qualify for a third dose. So I'm waiting for official approval of the 8 month "booster" to go through. Because my job requires vaccination, I don't want to get it early and then have to get a FOURTH dose to be in compliance. HURRY UP CDC!!!

Husband got Pfizer (I had Moderna) and is self employed. So I think I'm sending him for a third dose this week given the data on Delta efficacy.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I’d have the choice to not be able to enter any building outside my own home. I don’t really call that a choice.
I’m tired of the unvaccinated preventing me from entering buildings outside my home. I don’t really call that a choice either. I call it eugenics.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not immune compromised so I don't qualify for a third dose. So I'm waiting for official approval of the 8 month "booster" to go through. Because my job requires vaccination, I don't want to get it early and then have to get a FOURTH dose to be in compliance. HURRY UP CDC!!!

Husband got Pfizer (I had Moderna) and is self employed. So I think I'm sending him for a third dose this week given the data on Delta efficacy.

@wildcat03 Do you think they will come out with a booster soon that helps more with the Delta variant? I will get the first one I can…I‘m not comfortable with the half dose they are considering…I want the full 100 mcg because I’m older.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m tired of the unvaccinated preventing me from entering buildings outside my home. I don’t really call that a choice either. I call it eugenics.

Oh don’t get me wrong, personally I’m quite happy to take the vaccine. I’ve had my two first back at the beginning of the year and getting another two this month. I was just pointing out that in my country of residence if you DONT want to be vaccinated you cannot enter any public space whatsoever or indeed your workplace or school (if over 12). So it’s as close to being mandatory as you can get without the authorities openly saying “it’s mandatory”.

I do not disagree with this approach at all - in fact I welcome it. I’m extremely pro vaccination for Covid (and indeed everything else you can vaccinate against). The reason I got my first round of shots this year wasn’t because I had personal worries about catching Covid (being relatively young and very healthy) it was because I felt it was my duty to get the vaccination to help protect my community.

I do however hesitate when it comes to my children. The Education Council here has now said that children over 4 should be vaccinated, or else they have to have a PCR test every 2 weeks to attend school. While I’m completely willing, as an adult, to vaccinate myself, for my own benefit and to protect others, I am very reluctant to vaccinate my 9 year old given the lack of long term studies into the possible health ramifications in future years. I will be getting the two week tests for my kids. Not the vaccine yet.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
@wildcat03 Do you think they will come out with a booster soon that helps more with the Delta variant? I will get the first one I can…I‘m not comfortable with the half dose they are considering…I want the full 100 mcg because I’m older.
I heard 2022 for a Delta specific booster but I'm not sure if both Pfizer and Moderna are working on it (I would assume so).

To be honest, I think the 50 mcg is probably enough of a booster for Moderna. The Pfizer studies showed a HUGE antibody response to a third dose of 30 mcg (the same for all 3 doses). And there was that recent Mayo Clinic study that suggested better Delta protection from Moderna (unclear why - dose vs timing of 2nd shot vs slight differences in mRNA sequence). But if you want 100 mcg you can just sign up for a 3rd dose as "immune compromised"

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard 2022 for a Delta specific booster but I'm not sure if both Pfizer and Moderna are working on it (I would assume so).

To be honest, I think the 50 mcg is probably enough of a booster for Moderna. The Pfizer studies showed a HUGE antibody response to a third dose of 30 mcg (the same for all 3 doses). And there was that recent Mayo Clinic study that suggested better Delta protection from Moderna (unclear why - dose vs timing of 2nd shot vs slight differences in mRNA sequence). But if you want 100 mcg you can just sign up for a 3rd dose as "immune compromised"

Thank you @wildcat03..I would walk in tomorrow if I could get that third dose of 100mcg..I’m not immune compromised according to CDC descriptions. I do have some maladies that mean I’m mildly immune compromised..but not anywhere near that degree…

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @wildcat03..I would walk in tomorrow if I could get that third dose of 100mcg..I’m not immune compromised according to CDC descriptions. I do have some maladies that mean I’m mildly immune compromised..but not anywhere near that degree…

The Moderna third dose for immune compromise is 100 mcg. The "booster" dose may be 50 mcg (pending approval). So if you wanted to get a third dose you could get 100 mcg. I realize that would involve lying, which you may be opposed to. However, I will say that I see it as pretty harmless (except for potential increased side effects) in that so many doses are just being discarded. Back in Februaryyou would have been taking a dose from someone who really needed/wanted one but now there is plenty of availability.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So far no extra toes, but it is early. Just a mild sore arm. Hope that is all she wrote.

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I literally AM a science experiment!
:lol:

Per my study coordinator I'm supposed to be notified about the booster about mid month they said.

In the meantime they decided it would be fun to take 12 tubes of blood from me today.:roll2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just waiting for the timeframe for my booster, I had my original Vac in May.

I had the Pfizer, I wonder, does it matter what your booster is? Do you get the same one or does it matter?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Moderna third dose for immune compromise is 100 mcg. The "booster" dose may be 50 mcg (pending approval). So if you wanted to get a third dose you could get 100 mcg. I realize that would involve lying, which you may be opposed to. However, I will say that I see it as pretty harmless (except for potential increased side effects) in that so many doses are just being discarded. Back in Februaryyou would have been taking a dose from someone who really needed/wanted one but now there is plenty of availability.

This is what I did , not going to lie. I want maximum protection before I step back into the classroom as a teacher who travels the building and sees every student.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got my third dose I had to sign exactly why I am immune compromised so lying was not an option if I didn’t want to be caught.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got my third dose I had to sign exactly why I am immune compromised so lying was not an option if I didn’t want to be caught.

Where did you go? I just made an appointment online at CVS, they are widely available in my area.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of physicians in my various Facebook groups have sought out boosters (off label). Seems like some places are asking questions and some aren't. I figure I'll wait to be eligible (assuming it gets approved) since my 2nd dose was 1/26 and 9/26 isn't far off. That being said, I'm not working right now so if I were seeing multiple COVID patients a day I would probably feel slightly less patient.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally AM a science experiment!
:lol:

Per my study coordinator I'm supposed to be notified about the booster about mid month they said.

In the meantime they decided it would be fun to take 12 tubes of blood from me today.:roll2:

I've purchased extra nail polish just in case.:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results