shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I read that Moderna was considering halving the dose and adding the flu vaccine. I would rather have the full dose. I don’t know..but it seems like the full dose would give us more protection..

I don’t think we know. Moderna’s side effects were slightly worse than Pfizer’s especially for women. But did that extra confer slightly greater protection? Or is it unnecessary? I would be ok with half the Moderna with the flu vaccine as long as the flu vaccine is preservative free. The same flu vaccine I get yearly.

And if we’re getting a yearly Covid vaccine perhaps we don’t need to go full on with the dose?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The idea of doing this every year is not real appealing to me today , I still hurt like hell in every muscle in my body but if it protects me and it’s only 24 hrs I can do it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grammie has just had a brilliant idea! I’m going to take pot gummies to try to knock me out for a bit :devil:. Finally I can get some sleep I hope!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grammie has just had a brilliant idea! I’m going to take pot gummies to try to knock me out for a bit :devil:. Finally I can get some sleep I hope!

I love my CBD gummies. Sweet dreams zzz

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t think we know. Moderna’s side effects were slightly worse than Pfizer’s especially for women. But did that extra confer slightly greater protection? Or is it unnecessary? I would be ok with half the Moderna with the flu vaccine as long as the flu vaccine is preservative free. The same flu vaccine I get yearly.

And if we’re getting a yearly Covid vaccine perhaps we don’t need to go full on with the dose?

Moderna also has more vaccine in the shot than Pfizer. Maybe we don’t need as much..

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, when it is recommended for me. My employers will give me the heads-up. The people making the decision for my employers are more knowledgeable about this than I am and I will go with their recs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning I feel great! A bit tired but the gummies helped tremendously. They helped me relax and took most of the pain. When I woke up the pain is gone. All in all about 30 hrs of misery. Well worth it!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I want a booster! My DH is a college professor and will be required to teach in person in Sept at a major university. Unfortunately our TX governor says there can't be mask oe vaccine requirements. :(. So DH and I are feeling very vulnerable. We got vaccinated in the early spring so I think its been over six months already. I know several people IRL who have had breakthrough infections and while they didn't land in the hospital thankfully, the infections weren't mild, and the folks were healthy middle aged adults like us. So we are worried and definitely want a booster.

We were flying home from CA recently and while we were queuing up for our flight, the in-airport health center people where coming around asking if anyone wanted a free, quick J&J one dose vaccine. I have to admit DH and I were very tempted. I know that that would be diving into the unknown since we already have had our two doses of Moderna. But knowing he's going into a large classroom of unmasked and probably unvaccinated teenagers very soon made getting a third dose extremely appealing. We didn't do it but still wonder if maybe we should have.

We did think too, that giving people shots right before they got onto an airplane was a little weird and not the best idea (what if they had a reaction while in the air?)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never quit wearing my masks when I went inside to stores. I knew many unvaccinated people were walking around without them. I knew the honor system wouldn’t work, unfortunately. So I just always put mine on.

Me too!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven’t stopped wearing our masks either, and there are still a lot of other people still wearing theirs in shops. It’s mainly younger people we’re seeing not wearing masks anymore.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having my booster in precisely 5 hours. Moderna x 3.

I have Crohn's disease and am on heavy duty immunosuppressant drugs, so the load of antibodies I have on board after two shots will be markedly lower than for a person who isn't on immunosuppressant drugs. - possibly close to zero. If we produce antibodies at all after the second shot, it's markedly less than the average, healthy person. (I believe the average antibody load for a twice vaccinated person on immunosuppressant drugs is between 4 and 30 percent that of a fully vaccinated person who is NOT on IS drugs). A lot of people on Immunosuppressant drugs don't produce ANY antibodies in response to the first two shots, but about a third of those did produce an appreciable antibody load after a third shot.

So, for me, having a third shot is like a healthy person having their first or second shot. I'm just not fully vaccinated as yet, and may well not be after the third shot either; for those who produced no antibodies after the first or second shots, 2/3 remain fully unvaccinated after a third shot. So a third shot for the immunocompromised is not just an indulgence. We're playing serious catch-up compared to other people.

ETA This is the latest science as it's been presented to me. But studies are being run all the time and I'm sure this information will morph and change over time. The general thrust of it, tho, will remain the same.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck @mrs-b, I am glad you are getting the booster today!

We haven’t stopped wearing our masks either, and there are still a lot of other people still wearing theirs in shops. It’s mainly younger people we’re seeing not wearing masks anymore.

We stopped wearing masks for a few weeks after we received both doses. But we started again as soon as we realized the variants were raging and we will be doing so for the rest of the pandemic. The evidence is clear nothing is 100% so every thing we do helps.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the Federal Government will be recommending a booster shot for everyone who has received two shots or is fully vaccinated.

"

The U.S. is expected to recommend that Americans get a Covid-19 booster shot eight months after the second dose of the vaccine, people familiar with the matter say​

"

"
WASHINGTON—The Biden administration is expected to announce that Americans who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 should receive a booster shot to ensure continued protection, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The booster shot would be administered eight months after the second dose of the vaccine was received, the people said.

Senior Biden administration health and medical officials have been discussing the possibility of calling for booster shots for weeks and are nearing agreement on the issue, said the people, who added that a final decision hasn’t been made. A formal announcement could come as soon as later this week.
The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that the Biden administration was preparing a booster-shot strategy, and that the shots could be needed as soon as in the next few weeks for people who were first to be vaccinated.

Pfizer Inc. and partnerBioNTech SE, the companies behind a two-dose Covid-19 vaccine, are seeking clearance from the Food and Drug Administration to provide booster shots to the general public. If the FDA greenlights the shots, the first doses could be distributed in September, the people said, as the first Americans who were vaccinated reach the eight-month window.
Pfizer is furthest along in the regulatory approval process, so the initial booster shots could go to Americans who received that vaccine. Moderna Inc., which also produces a two-dose vaccine, has said it plans to ask regulators next month to authorize its booster shots. Johnson & Johnson is expected to release data about the efficacy of two doses of its single-shot vaccine later this month.
The question of whether additional shots are needed to protect people against Covid-19 has come into focus amid a surge of infections caused by the Delta variant. Although breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated people are rare, some data has indicated the immunity provided by the vaccines wanes over time.

"

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm having my booster in precisely 5 hours. Moderna x 3.

I have Crohn's disease and am on heavy duty immunosuppressant drugs, so the load of antibodies I have on board after two shots will be markedly lower than for a person who isn't on immunosuppressant drugs. - possibly close to zero. If we produce antibodies at all after the second shot, it's markedly less than the average, healthy person. (I believe the average antibody load for a twice vaccinated person on immunosuppressant drugs is between 4 and 30 percent that of a fully vaccinated person who is NOT on IS drugs). A lot of people on Immunosuppressant drugs don't produce ANY antibodies in response to the first two shots, but about a third of those did produce an appreciable antibody load after a third shot.

So, for me, having a third shot is like a healthy person having their first or second shot. I'm just not fully vaccinated as yet, and may well not be after the third shot either; for those who produced no antibodies after the first or second shots, 2/3 remain fully unvaccinated after a third shot. So a third shot for the immunocompromised is not just an indulgence. We're playing serious catch-up compared to other people.

ETA This is the latest science as it's been presented to me. But studies are being run all the time and I'm sure this information will morph and change over time. The general thrust of it, tho, will remain the same.

Yes @mrs-b.. I was hoping you would be getting your shot soon. I knew you had Crohn’s…My friend’s husband is also immunocompromised because of the meds he’s taking. He will be getting his booster shot soon too.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like there may be a recommendation for an 8 months booster for all. I got Moderna #2 on 1/26 so that puts me at 9/26. I'll go get it as soon as the recommendation is official. My job requires me to be fully vaccinated.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well here's an interesting thing.....

I turned up for my third shot today and the pharmacist was running late. When I finally got in, I asked him what the hold up (1/2 an hour) had been. He said he'd "just needed to check something."

A light went off for me and I said....

"Do these vaccines have an expiration date?

"Funny you should ask that," he said. "That's what I was checking."

So one thing lead to another and - turns out, he assured me the expiration date for the vaccine he was about to give me was November this year.

"So what was the confusion?" I asked.

"Well, on the paperwork for the shots, the head pharmacist had written *this*," he said - and showed me the piece of paper identifying the shots for this particular CVS:

"Expires 8/6/2021"

I'm fully aware that people offering vaccinations get reimbursed for the shots in arms, not the vials of vaccine they're sent. Chances of my CVS pulling a swift (as we say in Australia) - very low. But there it was, in big, bold, black letting - August 6th, and no matter which way you cut it, I couldn't unsee that date.

"I think I'm going to take a pass for now," says I.

Came home and made an appointment for this evening, elsewhere.

So today's PSA is....

CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE ON YOUR VACCINE BEFORE YOU ACCEPT IT.

And if it doesn't seem right to you - go elsewhere.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I turned up for my third shot today and the pharmacist was running late. When I finally got in, I asked him what the hold up (1/2 an hour) had been. He said he'd "just needed to check something."

So one thing lead to another and - turns out, he assured me the expiration date for the vaccine he was about to give me was November this year.

"Well, on the paperwork for the shots, the head pharmacist had written *this*," he said - and showed me the piece of paper identifying the shots for this particular CVS:

"Expires 8/6/2021"

I'm fully aware that people offering vaccinations get reimbursed for the shots in arms, not the vials of vaccine they're sent. Chances of my CVS pulling a swift (as we say in Australia) - very low. But there it was, in big, bold, black letting - August 6th, and no matter which way you cut it, I couldn't unsee that date.

So today's PSA is....

Thank you! That is kind of scary. Can you tell me which CVS I should a avoid?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

"Expires 8/6/2021"

So today's PSA is....

@mrs-b Wow!! That’s crazy!! When we got ours..they were preloaded syringes in a tray..How could we even check? TG the pharmacist was honest!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

"Expires 8/6/2021"

So today's PSA is....

In the words of my toddler, "Um, maybe not today..."

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like there may be a recommendation for an 8 months booster for all. I got Moderna #2 on 1/26 so that puts me at 9/26. I'll go get it as soon as the recommendation is official. My job requires me to be fully vaccinated.

Great news @wildcat03! I had my last one on 3/22. That would put me into November. I’m 67 so not sure if that changes anything.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your comments @mrs-b. My family was having a discussion about this a few days ago as one of my family member is also on many drugs to suppress their immune system.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will get a booster literally the very first moment I can. If I could have talked a pharmacist into it, I would have already gotten one.

Same!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Third shot now on board. Here's hoping I've actually developed some antibodies!

@mrs-b That’s great. I hope you develop an army of antibodies…Did you ask about the expiration date? ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results