shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone here is going to be asking about the expiration date now. I would have never thought about it before mrs-b’s post.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think everyone here is going to be asking about the expiration date now. I would have never thought about it before mrs-b’s post.

When I went to my health department for my shots..all the syringes were lined up on a tray. Two girls were filling the syringes at a table. I could have asked them..but it never crossed my mind.
@mrs-b I’m happy you thought to ask him about the expiration date.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get a booster literally the very first moment I can. If I could have talked a pharmacist into it, I would have already gotten one.
You can if you do it in a sneaky way. :bigsmile: :silenced::shhh:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan to get a booster. I don't know what to expect from Moderna as I had a very unpleasant response to 2nd Pfizer, but whatever.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The science supporting the booster.

"
U.S. health officials laid out the scientific rationale for a third dose of the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines for all U.S. adults on Wednesday, relying on published and unpublished CDC data, as well as a preprint study.

Overall, they said that there is evidence that vaccine effectiveness against infection -- both symptomatic and asymptomatic -- has been decreasing over time, but that protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death remains relatively high.

In anticipation of further waning of immunity amid the ongoing Delta variant-fueled surge -- which is posing additional challenges -- pulling the trigger on booster shots could help the U.S. stay ahead of the virus, they said.

During a White House COVID-19 task force briefing, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, MD, offered five pieces of evidence to support the move: three new studies that were published Wednesday in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), one previously published on medRxiv, and unpublished CDC data on the Delta variant.

Protection Against Infection

Walensky cited new MMWR data from New York that showed a decline in vaccine effectiveness against infection, from 91.7% to 79.8% during the period of May 3 to July 25.

Eli Rosenberg, PhD, of the New York State Department of Health, and colleagues linked data from several New York surveillance systems on immunization, lab testing, and hospitalization.

During that time period, they found that a total of 9,675 new cases of COVID-19 occurred among fully vaccinated adults compared with 38,505 cases among unvaccinated adults (1.31 vs 10.69 per 100,000 person-days).

In addition, data from the Mayo Clinic, published previously on medRxiv, similarly found a decrease in vaccine efficacy in preventing infection in Minnesota, Walensky said. For the Moderna vaccine, effectiveness against infection fell from 86% in January-July, down to 76% during the month of July, while it fell from 76% down to 42% for Pfizer during that time.

Finally, new data from MMWR from a national network of nursing homes showed a reduction in protection against infection, from 75% in March to 53% as of August 1, Walensky said.

Srinivas Nanduri, MD, of the CDC, and colleagues assessed weekly data on nursing homes and skilled nursing facilities reported by CMS to the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network.

They found that the adjusted effectiveness against infection during the "pre-Delta" period (March 1 to May 9) was 74.7% (based on 17,407 weekly reports from 3,862 facilities), which fell to 67.5% in the "intermediate" period (May 10 to June 20; based on 33,160 weekly reports from 11,581 facilities), and ultimately to 53.1% during the Delta dominant period (June 21 to August 1; based on 85,593 weekly reports from 14,917 facilities).

Nanduri and colleagues noted that estimates of effectiveness were similar for both vaccines.

"Taken together, you can see that while the exact percentage of vaccine efficacy differs depending on the cohort and setting studied, the data consistently demonstrate a reduction in protection from infection over time," Walensky said.

Protection Against Severe Illness and Hospitalization

Walensky noted that despite the waning in efficacy against infection, data suggest that the vaccines are still highly protective against severe illness and hospitalization.

The New York MMWR data showed that from May 3 to July 25, the overall age-adjusted vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization was relatively stable (91.9% to 95.3%).

Additionally, there were a total of 1,271 new hospitalizations among fully vaccinated people, compared with 7,308 hospitalizations among the unvaccinated (0.17 vs 2.03 per 100,000 person-days), Rosenberg and colleagues reported.

Hospitalization rates declined through the week of July 5, but increased during the weeks of July 12 and July 19, they added. Hospitalization rates were also higher among those 65 and up, they found.

The Mayo Clinic preprint found that from January to July in Minnesota, both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were effective at protecting against COVID-associated hospitalization (91.6% vs 85%, respectively) and ICU admission (93.3% vs 87%, respectively). There were no deaths in either cohort.

Finally, new MMWR data from CDC's IVY (Influenza and Other Viruses in the Acutely Ill) Network reported by Mark Tenforde, MD, PhD, of the CDC, and colleagues showed no decline in vaccine efficacy against hospitalization over 24 weeks -- though Walensky noted that the cohort was short on Delta infections.

The authors assessed IVY-collected data on 3,089 hospitalized adults from 21 hospitals in 18 states from March 11 to July 14. Of these, 1,194 were COVID-19 patients and 1,895 were controls who didn't have COVID-19. Overall, 11.8% of cases were fully vaccinated, as were 52.1% of controls.

The efficacy rate against hospitalization was 86% overall and 90% among adults without immunocompromising conditions, they reported.

Additionally, of the 1,129 patients who'd received two doses of an mRNA vaccine, there was no decline in efficacy against hospitalization during a 24-week period, with an efficacy rate of 86% from 2 to 12 weeks after vaccination compared with 84% at 13 to 24 weeks post vaccination.

However, of the 454 samples that had whole genome sequencing, just 16.3% turned out to be the Delta variant, which now accounts for the vast majority of cases. More than half (53.3%) were of the Alpha lineage.

"Taken together, these data confirm that while protection against infection may decrease over time, protection against severe disease and hospitalization is currently holding up pretty well," Walensky said. "As we make decisions about boosters, though, we also have to look at vaccine efficacy in the specific context of the Delta variant."

Double Whammy: Waning Immunity and Delta

Walensky then highlighted preliminary unpublished data from two of the CDC's vaccine effectiveness cohorts that included more than 4,000 healthcare workers, first responders, and other frontline workers from eight locations across the U.S.

Data through August 6 showed waning effectiveness against symptomatic and asymptomatic infection in the context of the Delta variant, from 92% prior to Delta, to 64% with Delta.

She noted that the analysis didn't show differences over time, which suggests that vaccine efficacy is diminished against Delta independent of when a person was vaccinated -- meaning full vaccination may be less effective against Delta than against previous variants, she said.

Immunological Basis for Boosters

Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, provided the immunological evidence supporting the case for a third shot during the briefing.

Antibody levels decline over time, he said, but mRNA booster shots would increase antibody titers by at least 10-fold.

Higher levels of antibodies are associated with better vaccine effectiveness and are likely required to protect against the Delta variant, he noted.

A paper published in Science showed that antibody levels peaked around 43 days after the second dose of Moderna, but fell by 209 days regardless of the variant involved.

Additionally, a preprint published in medRxiv based on phase III data from the Moderna trial looked at "correlates of immunity," finding that a serum neutralizing titer of 1:100 produces a vaccine efficacy rate of 91%. Thus, the higher the neutralizing titer, the higher the efficacy of the vaccine, Fauci explained.

The Science paper, as well as Pfizer data published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed diminished levels of neutralizing antibody titers with Delta compared with other variants, Fauci noted.

Finally, another medRxiv preprint showed that a third dose of Moderna increased antibody titers at least 10-fold, he said, and Pfizer recently announced similar data.

The Moderna study showed a "remarkable increase in titers" 15 days after the third dose against wild-type virus, the Beta variant, and the Gamma variant, Fauci said, adding that Pfizer data also showed a good boost in levels against the Delta variant, which is expected to be similar for Moderna.

"All of this supports the use of a third booster mRNA immunization to increase the overall level of protection," Fauci concluded.

"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my first dose!!!! Wooooohoooooo

I'm going to apologize in advance because I'm going to be annoying and post this randomly in every Covid thread!!!!! :razz:

Congratulations @mellowyellowgirl! Which vaccine did you get? Remember you are not protected yet as it takes a few weeks from the final dose so of course be careful and you are well on your way!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Booster shots starting in September in the USA.

Booster shots to ramp up protection against COVID-19 infection are slated to begin the week of Sept. 20, the Biden administration announced at a press briefing Wednesday.
Those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines would be eligible to get a booster shot 8 months after they received the second dose of those vaccines, officials said. Information on boosters for those who got the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be forthcoming.
"We anticipate a booster will [also] likely be needed," said U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, MD. The J&J vaccine was not available in the U.S. until March, he said, and ''we expect more data on J&J in the coming weeks, so that plan is coming."

The plan for boosters for the two mRNA vaccines is pending the FDA's conducting of an independent review and authorizing the third dose of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, as well as an advisory committee of the CDC making the recommendation.
"We know that even highly effective vaccines become less effective over time," Murthy said. "Having reviewed the most current data, it is now our clinical judgment that the time to lay out a plan for the COVID-19 boosters is now."
Research released Wednesday shows waning effectiveness of the two mRNA vaccines.
At the briefing, Murthy and others continually reassured listeners that while effectiveness against infection declines, the vaccines continue to protect against severe infections, hospitalizations, and death.

"If you are fully vaccinated, you still have a high degree of protection against the worst outcomes," Murthy said.

Data Driving the Plan

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky, MD, cited three research studies published today in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report that helped to drive the decision to recommend boosters.
Analysis of nursing home COVID-19 data from the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network showed a significant decline in the effectiveness of the full mRNA vaccine against lab-confirmed COVID-19 infection, from 74.7% before the Delta variant (March 1-May 9, 2021) to 53% when the Delta variant became predominant in the U.S. The analysis during the Delta dominant period included 85,000 weekly reports from nearly 15,000 facilities.

Another study looked at more than 10 million New York adults who had been fully vaccinated with either the Moderna, Pfizer, or J&J vaccine by July 25. During the period from May 3 to July 25, overall, the age-adjusted vaccine effectiveness against infection decreased from 91.7% to 79.8%.

Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization remains high, another study found. An analysis of 1,129 patients who had gotten two doses of an mRNA vaccine showed vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization after 24 weeks. It was 86% at weeks 2-12 and 84% at weeks 13-24.

Immunologic Facts

Immunologic information also points to the need for a booster, said Anthony Fauci, MD, the chief medical advisor to the president and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"Antibody levels decline over time," he said, "and higher antibody levels are associated with higher efficacy of the vaccine. Higher levels of antibody may be needed to protect against Delta."

A booster increased antibody levels by ''at least tenfold and possibly more," he said. And higher levels of antibody may be required to protect against Delta. Taken together, he said, the data supports the use of a booster to increase the overall level of protection.

Booster Details

"We will make sure it is convenient and easy to get the booster shot," said Jeff Zients, the White House COVID-19 response coordinator. As with the previous immunization, he said, the booster will be free, and no one will be asked about immigration status.

The plan for booster shots is an attempt to stay ahead of the virus, officials stressed

Big Picture

Not everyone agrees with the booster dose idea. At a World Health Organization briefing Wednesday, WHO's Chief Scientist Soumya Swaminathan, MD, an Indian pediatrician, said that the right thing to do right now ''is to wait for the science to tell us when boosters, which groups of people, and which vaccines need boosters."

Like others, she also broached the ''moral and ethical argument of giving people third doses, when they're already well protected and while the rest of the world is waiting for their primary immunization."

Swaminathan does see a role for boosters to protect immunocompromisedpeople but noted that ''that's a small number of people." Widespread boosters ''will only lead to more variants, to more escape variants, and perhaps we're heading into more dire situations."

SOURCES:

White House press briefing, Aug. 18, 2021.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations @mellowyellowgirl! Which vaccine did you get? Remember you are not protected yet as it takes a few weeks from the final dose so of course be careful and you are well on your way!

Thanks Missy!!!

Also remember when you wore a mask and shield to a funeral at the height of your outbreak?

Well guess who has been stealing that idea to go grocery shopping (only once a week). I social distance and gear up!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you @missy I’ve been reading about Israel’s Covid struggle and seeing this questioning of a booster. I must admit finding out that the CEO of Pfizer has not been vaccinated is a little offputting tbh.
Fauci and Biden discussed recommending the booster at five months today. First it was eight, then six and now five. Idk how this conflicting guidance helps us convince people already vaccine hesitant. Frustrating.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy I’ve been reading about Israel’s Covid struggle and seeing this questioning of a booster. I must admit finding out that the CEO of Pfizer has not been vaccinated is a little offputting tbh.
Fauci and Biden discussed recommending the booster at five months today. First it was eight, then six and now five. Idk how this conflicting guidance helps us convince people already vaccine hesitant. Frustrating.

There are no black and white answers. Studies show that antibodies decrease each month starting probably around month 3. But does that translate to less protection? Would getting a booster translate to more protection or just more antibodies? One thing is clear though. From seeing what’s happening in Israel. For the vulnerable population getting a third shot does offer additional protection in many cases. We’re still learning as we go.

If the vaccine had gotten us to herd immunity (if most people had gotten the vaccines) we would not be in the situation we are now with variants occurring that we are not (as) protected from getting. That’s what the vaccine was initially intended to do. Give us herd immunity.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you’re questioning whether more antibodies do or do not offer more immunity? That’s an interesting question and I have no idea what the answer is but as a non-medical person I always assumed that more antibodies would equal more immunity. I’d love to hear the opinion of some of the medical folks on the forum.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you’re questioning whether more antibodies do or do not offer more immunity? That’s an interesting question and I have no idea what the answer is but as a non-medical person I always assumed that more antibodies would equal more immunity. I’d love to hear the opinion of some of the medical folks on the forum.

Antibody levels are one piece of the puzzle when it comes to fighting Covid, but they don't tell the whole story when it comes to immunity.

Our immune system is complicated, and doesn't just have one weapon. There are neutralizing antibodies, other kinds of antibodies, memory B cells and T cells.

Antibodies are important. They bind to and coat the surface of the virus to prevent it from invading a cell. But they don’t last long (no definitive data on how long yet) and it’s not clear to what extent Covid antibodies protect us.

Then there are B and T cells which are special white blood cells (lymphocytes) that work together to fight an infection and can remember how to fight it off in the future. And they outlast antibodies.

It’s complicated but basically antibodies aren’t the end all be all. There’s a whole team to fight infections.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
If you have already had a Covid vaccine(s) will you get a booster when it becomes available to you?

If yes, why?
If no, why?
If you are undecided what will help you make up your mind?

Myself my husband my step mom my sisters their families and my own children thats my why

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I must admit finding out that the CEO of Pfizer has not been vaccinated is a little offputting tbh.

That info appear to be incorrect. The CEO of Pfizer was vaccinated back in March:

CLAIM: The CEO of Pfizer had to cancel a planned trip to Israel because he was not fully vaccinated.
AP’S ASSESSMENT: Missing context. The Aug. 5 post making this claim lacks the critical context that the trip was canceled in early March, before many people had been vaccinated. Albert Bourla, the chairman and CEO of Pfizer, announced on Twitter that he received his second dose of the vaccine on March 10.
THE FACTS: A screenshot of a tweet shared widely on Instagram on Thursday implies the CEO of the pharmaceutical company Pfizer has neglected for months to take his own company’s COVID-19 vaccine.
“The CEO of Pfizer had to cancel a planned trip to Israel because he was not fully vaccinated,” read the Aug. 5 tweet from Newsmax White House Correspondent Emerald Robinson. “Let me repeat: BECAUSE HE WAS NOT VACCINATED.”
However, the trip to Israel that Bourla had to cancel was in early March, according to news reports at the time.
Bourla announced in December that, at 59 years old, he would wait his turn to receive the vaccine after frontline workers and seniors had a chance. He received the second shot of his two-dose vaccine on March 10, according to his Twitter account.
Robinson acknowledged this in a later tweet, saying, “Update: The CEO of Pfizer announced on social media that he got his second vaccination shot on March 10.”
Pfizer didn’t immediately respond to an inquiry about why Bourla canceled his March trip. Bourla’s visit was set to begin 15 days before Israel’s March 23 national election and had been criticized as potentially influencing the results in favor of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
___
This is part of AP’s effort to address widely shared misinformation, including work with outside companies and organizations to add factual context to misleading content that is circulating online. Learn more about fact-checking at AP.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely will get a booster.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s still hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that we are talking about booster shots for the general public when there are many places where the general public still does not have access to the initial doses of this life- and economy- and possibly nation-saving vaccine. But I also understand why we writ large are doing this, so I’ll probably get the booster when it’s my turn come December.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The best vaccination that most so call medical experts don't want you to know about. Don't tell the millions of Covid survivors that their natural immunity system is stronger than the vaccinated. :shhh:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...greater-immunity-vaccine-no-infection-parties
If you survive or, it will kill you.
Still means millions dead by Covid roulette without vaccination. I'd rather have a breakthrough after a vaccine and live, than to possibly die or be permanently disabled by the disease.
It is also only effective for the variant you are infected with- so another variant comes along and your immunity is lessened. It is the unvaccinated population who are causing said mutations to occur.
This study only appears to apply to the Pfizer vaccine. It also would indicated that a vaccine booster shot for those that have been previously infected is recommended.
That's a spot of good news for the Delta infected wave, but you should still be vaccinated.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BSI_UKCIC_resource_NaturalvVaccineImmunity.png

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pondering what ones immunity is if they’ve had the vaccine (2) and is then infected. Asking because DH came home sick yesterday, and if he wakes up ill, we will get him a test. Curious how protected he, and possibly I, will be if we are infected after vaccine. :read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pondering what ones immunity is if they’ve had the vaccine (2) and is then infected. Asking because DH came home sick yesterday, and if he wakes up ill, we will get him a test. Curious how protected he, and possibly I, will be if we are infected after vaccine. :read:

Hopefully he doesn't have Covid. But if he does his infection will hopefully be mild since he is fully vaccinated. Sending you and your DH bucketloads of healing vibes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Case for boosters​

It’s the Privilege Scientists Say Will Curb Delta

The roll out of a third dose of Covid vaccine has sparked debate on ethical and political grounds, since a large swath of the human population is yet to receive any inoculation. But the case for boosters on scientific grounds is building. Read Jason Gale’s story here.
mail

Photographer: Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure I'll be getting it. I believe I'm due in early October.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results