shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally AM a science experiment!
:lol:

Per my study coordinator I'm supposed to be notified about the booster about mid month they said.

In the meantime they decided it would be fun to take 12 tubes of blood from me today.:roll2:

Thank you for your service. Seriously.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Moderna third dose for immune compromise is 100 mcg. The "booster" dose may be 50 mcg (pending approval). So if you wanted to get a third dose you could get 100 mcg. I realize that would involve lying, which you may be opposed to. However, I will say that I see it as pretty harmless (except for potential increased side effects) in that so many doses are just being discarded. Back in Februaryyou would have been taking a dose from someone who really needed/wanted one but now there is plenty of availability.

Thank you @wildcat03 I’m so afraid of a Covid I can lie..:lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what I did , not going to lie. I want maximum protection before I step back into the classroom as a teacher who travels the building and sees every student.

Where did you get it @Asscherhalo_lover? They didn’t ask you what immune disorder you had? I know you said you didn’t have one. I don’t blame you at all. I’m older so I feel I need to protect myself too.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get it @Asscherhalo_lover? They didn’t ask you what immune disorder you had? I know you said you didn’t have one. I don’t blame you at all. I’m older so I feel I need to protect myself too.

CVS and no, the pharmacist didn't give two cahoots. He said he was glad people were getting them since they have to have it thawed and ready for walk ins and what doesn't get used gets tossed anyway.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made an appointment for Sunday! I had a glass of wine tonight so I pushed it off a day. I read no alcohol 24 hours before or after a shot. It was hard for me to click yes that I am immunocompromised…but I did it. I hope it all works out. My husband won’t go..If this works I will set one up for my son. My husband will probably go to the doctor friend of his brother.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck @MamaBee!

U.S. President Joe Biden’s plan to begin distributing boosters for most American adults by Sept. 20 is facing resistance, as members of a key panel that advises the government on vaccines said this week they were concerned that politics was getting ahead of the process.
With less than three weeks until the proposed booster rollout, U.S. public health advisers and regulators are still yet to sign off on the plans. Meanwhile, many doctors and nurses are already administering the additional shots.
It’s “very frightening to me that health-care providers are trying to do the best job that they can, and are taking guidance from HHS and the White House,” Helen Talbot, a Vanderbilt University professor of medicine, said Monday in a meeting of CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
mail

President Joe Biden
Photographer: Susan Walsh/AP
The need for boosters is still being debated. Advocates see them as a potential tool for controlling the coronavirus surge spurred by the delta strain. Short-term data from Israel suggesting the efficacy of initial vaccinations wanes in a matter of months has been cited by the White House in making the case to act fast. In the European Union, health authorities said there's no urgent need for boosters, though some countries have decided to offer them. The World Health Organization, concerned about vaccine supplies, has pleaded for a moratorium.
Vaccine maker Moderna said Wednesday that it had filed initial data with the FDA for clearance of a booster of its Covid-19 shot, adding fuel to the debate. Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE filed initial booster data with the agency last month.
For some, the rollout has already started. Almost a million Americans have received an additional vaccine dose since Aug. 13, according to CDC data. It’s unclear how many of those doses went to those with weak immune systems, for whom extra shots have been recommended by the FDA and CDC. White House medical adviser Anthony Fauci said three doses might become the standard regimen for mRNA Covid vaccines.
However, the CDC’s vaccine panel is still waiting for more data to determine the best booster dose approach, said Camille Kotton, a CDC vaccine adviser. For now, the majority of vaccinated Americans are well protected against severe disease, despite the delta variant’s potency.
During a White House briefing Tuesday briefing, CDC director Rochelle Walensky acknowledged that while data reviewed by the the agency’s advisers was currently insufficient, she was confident that there would be enough to support a recommendation prior to the start of the booster plan.—Fiona Rutherford

Track the virus​

More Than 5.4 Billion Shots Have Now Been Given Globally
The latest rate was roughly 41 million doses a day. In total, more than 5.43 billion doses have been administered across 183 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. Read the full story here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Potential delays in approval for Moderna booster.

"

Federal health officials are asking the White House to push back the start of a planned Covid-19 booster campaign, at least for theModerna Inc. MRNA 4.79% and Johnson & Johnson JNJ 0.06%vaccines, people familiar with the discussions said.

The Food and Drug Administration needs more time to collect and assess the data on safety and efficacy, the people said. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky and Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock made the recommendation Thursday in a meeting with Jeffrey Zients, the White House coronavirus coordinator, one of the people said.

One official said the process for Pfizer remains on track but Moderna and J&J are likely to be pushed back beyond the week of Sept. 20. Last month, the Biden administration said people who had been vaccinated for eight months or longer should get a booster starting Sept. 20.

The White House said it is awaiting a full review, clearance by the FDA and a recommendation by the CDC’s expert advisory panel.

“We always said we would follow the science, and this is all part of a process that is now under way,” said Chris Meagher, a White House spokesman. “When that approval and recommendation are made, we will be ready to implement the plan our nation’s top doctors developed so that we are staying ahead of this virus.”

The New York Times earlier reported the recommendation.

Asked this past week about concerns the booster campaign was premature, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said, “This was a recommendation made by our nation’s leading health experts based on mounds and mounds of data.”

The Biden administration has sought boosters to counter contagious variants such as Delta and correct signs of waning immunity among the vaccinated, though evidence supporting the need for an extra dose, at least in the general public, isn’t conclusive.

Federal health officials told the White House on Thursday they may not be able by Sept. 20 to make a decision clearing boosters for vaccines other than the one from Pfizer Inc. and its partnerBioNTech SE.

The initial Pfizer campaign, if it does start the week of Sept. 20, may also need to be limited to higher risk groups such as nursing-home residents, healthcare workers and those over 65, the people said.

A Pfizer spokeswoman directed questions on the Biden administration’s booster discussions to the U.S. government. J&J said it is engaging with the FDA and CDC regarding boosting with its vaccine. Moderna didn’t respond to a request for comment but said on Twitter Friday that it had completed its booster application to the FDA, which it began Wednesday.

One issue stalling the discussions, one of the people said, is trying to figure out whether the Moderna vaccine booster should be a 50 microgram dose or the 100 microgram dose used for the first two shots. The Wall Street Journal reported that Moderna is advocating for 50 micrograms while some in government favor 100 micrograms amid uncertainty because of durability concerns.

The second issue, the person said, is figuring what the right boosting interval for the single dose J&J shot is.

Federal health officials hope they can make recommendations about Moderna and J&J in October, the person said.

According to CDC data, 94.6 million people have been fully vaccinated with Pfizer’s vaccine, 65.8 million people with Moderna’s vaccine and 14.2 million with J&J’s single-dose vaccine.

Boosters are currently authorized for immunocompromised people who received the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Roughly 955,000 people have received an additional Covid-19 vaccine dose since Aug. 13, according to the CDC. At least 10 million people in the U.S. take immunosuppressants that would likely already make them eligible for boosters, according to Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

"

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cancelled mine during the night..I’m not afraid to get it..I also don’t think it’s wrong to get it now..If I had to just think about myself I would get it without hesitation. If we could just walk up somewhere to get it we would..We have a unique situation with our son. We have guardianship and other things for him. I especially have to be completely truthful concerning him. I would have had to lie for David so he could get the shot. I won’t get it without him. I was up all night. I finally got out of bed and cancelled it. We can possibly get one without all the questions with eligibility. If that works out we may get it through the doctor.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cancelled mine during the night..I’m not afraid to get it..I also don’t think it’s wrong to get it now..If I had to just think about myself I would get it without hesitation. If we could just walk up somewhere to get it we would..We have a unique situation with our son. We have guardianship and other things for him. I especially have to be completely truthful concerning him. I would have had to lie for David so he could get the shot. I won’t get it without him. I was up all night. I finally got out of bed and cancelled it. We can possibly get one without all the questions with eligibility. If that works out we may get it through the doctor.

You have to do what is best for you and be able to be comfortable with your decision. Hopefully they will approve boosters soon though it does look like the third dose of moderna has been pushed back for most people for now.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

Hope you can figure out how to get one.

I just sent my husband to get his third Pfizer. He finished his series back in May. He has a big business event to run (that he can't cancel - he was outvoted by his two partners) in late September and I am desperate to protect our 3 year old and our newborn. He always masks but our state no longer has an indoor mask mandate and our county executive has said he's not reinstating one despite our state meeting CDC criteria for high transmission - so no one else wears masks. Ugh. I hate how the CDC and FDA have basically thrown children to the wolves.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just sent my husband to get his third Pfizer. He finished his series back in May. He has a big business event to run (that he can't cancel - he was outvoted by his two partners) in late September and I am desperate to protect our 3 year old and our newborn. He always masks but our state no longer has an indoor mask mandate and our county executive has said he's not reinstating one despite our state meeting CDC criteria for high transmission - so no one else wears masks. Ugh. I hate how the CDC and FDA have basically thrown children to the wolves.

@wildcat03 I’m happy your husband got
his third vaccine today. I don’t know how you guys handle the stress with young children. I hope your husband stays well on his trip. I told my son and daughter-in-law that I am so impressed over how they managed raising a newborn to fifteen months old during this scary time..They also have a four year old. My daughter-in-law was amazing having the baby during the early days of Covid. She had five months maternity leave….It was tough for her because she was so isolated with the newborn…with no adult contact. I got zoom calls every day from her.
My son recently had to fly to San Diego for a conference. When he flew home he went right into a airbnb to isolate. He took many tests over the course of a week when his doctor said he could safely go home and hug his children.
I’m not sure what they are going to do when the four year old becomes eligible. I wouldn’t want to have to make that decision.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made an appointment for Sunday! I had a glass of wine tonight so I pushed it off a day. I read no alcohol 24 hours before or after a shot. It was hard for me to click yes that I am immunocompromised…but I did it. I hope it all works out. My husband won’t go..If this works I will set one up for my son. My husband will probably go to the doctor friend of his brother.

Maybe I am pickled so the vaccine won't work on me. I didn't read the "no wine anywhere"!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I am pickled so the virus won't work on me. I didn't read the "no wine anywhere"!

:lol: It said something about more pronounced side effects…I don’t think it has anything to do with the vaccine not taking!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll hey the the booster when it's available and recommended for me.

I have a question regarding legal aspects in the US: here , if you're not supposed to be getting the vaccine per official guidelines and manage to get it anyway, you waive your insurance for possible side effects.
For example in Germany it used to be the case for people who'd had Covid: they had to wait 6 months after infection before they could get vaccinated. It was the case for my sister. We knew the data from the us strongly suggested that vaccination would be fine and would protect her from Delta. Has she lied on the form and gotten the shot, apparently her insurance wouldn't have paid in case of any side effects.

Same goes for the booster. One could go in and tell them it was a first shot theoretically. But in case of severe side effects (yes very very very rare!!) the bills are significant and can be up in the millions. Usually that risk is covered 100% by our insurance, if one goes against the guidelines, though, that's not the case.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll hey the the booster when it's available and recommended for me.

I have a question regarding legal aspects in the US: here , if you're not supposed to be getting the vaccine per official guidelines and manage to get it anyway, you waive your insurance for possible side effects.
For example in Germany it used to be the case for people who'd had Covid: they had to wait 6 months after infection before they could get vaccinated. It was the case for my sister. We knew the data from the us strongly suggested that vaccination would be fine and would protect her from Delta. Has she lied on the form and gotten the shot, apparently her insurance wouldn't have paid in case of any side effects.

Same goes for the booster. One could go in and tell them it was a first shot theoretically. But in case of severe side effects (yes very very very rare!!) the bills are significant and can be up in the millions. Usually that risk is covered 100% by our insurance, if one goes against the guidelines, though, that's not the case.

That’s a good question and I think the short answer is no. Follow guidelines or don’t follow them the health insurance won’t be invalidated. If your health insurance covers something it covers it regardless of whether or not one received the vaccine according to official guidelines.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake We may be able to get it through my husband’s brother’s friend..a physician..I hope so!
Did you get your third shot?

Not yet but like you, I want one as soon as I am able to get one.

Truthfully I have been more concerned with my brother getting his. He has a transplant and the drugs he is on for rejection make the vaccine much less effective. Thankfully he got his booster shot on Thursday.

I’m sorry to hear about what is going on at the nursing home your mom is at. I hope it’s safe to visit her soon. How anyone could step foot in a home for the elderly without being vaccinated boggles my mind.

I will be so happy when I can relax about all of this. My grandniece is in school now and even though they are required to wear masks it worries me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Truthfully I have been more concerned with my brother getting his. He has a transplant and the drugs he is on for rejection make the vaccine much less effective. Thankfully he got his booster shot on Thursday.

I’m sorry to hear about what is going on at the nursing home your mom is at. I hope it’s safe to visit her soon. How anyone could step foot in a home for the elderly without being vaccinated boggles my mind.

I will be so happy when I can relax about all of this. My grandniece is in school now and even though they are required to wear masks it worries me.
I know @Calliecake..I feel the same about my grandchildren. The little one is too young to wear a mask. Fortunately all the caregivers are vaccinated.
I may be able to get a vaccine at Rite Aid. They didn’t ask the millions of questions like CVS and Walgreens. One question was do you have an immune disorder. I replied no. I still got my appointment. I do have immune disorders but not moderate to severe. It didn’t ask that. I have an appointment for Wednesday.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This was my main motivation. I'm not so much worried about myself but I am worried about my own children (5yo and 8mo) and my students. I'm around too many people who can't vaccinate and I would honestly feel so terribly guilty if I brought it home to them.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
@MamaBee, @kipari and others, I read this article earlier tonight. It addresses the topic of getting booster shots that are not yet approved and answers some of the questions posed above. Here is a brief excerpt.

"Some Americans are already lining up for COVID-19 booster shots, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning that administering doses of the vaccine in ways that aren't OK'd by the federal government could put health care providers at risk of lawsuits and leave patients with unexpected bills.
These so-called "off-label" uses include giving the vaccine out as a booster shot to people who are not immunocompromised, or using it to vaccinate children under the age of 12 for whom the shot is not yet authorized.
In fact, more than 1.1 million people have already received unauthorized shots of a COVID-19 vaccine, according to numbers provided by the CDC in mid-August."

And the article:

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee, @kipari and others, I read this article earlier tonight. It addresses the topic of getting booster shots that are not yet approved and answers some of the questions posed above. Here is a brief excerpt.

"Some Americans are already lining up for COVID-19 booster shots, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning that administering doses of the vaccine in ways that aren't OK'd by the federal government could put health care providers at risk of lawsuits and leave patients with unexpected bills.
These so-called "off-label" uses include giving the vaccine out as a booster shot to people who are not immunocompromised, or using it to vaccinate children under the age of 12 for whom the shot is not yet authorized.
In fact, more than 1.1 million people have already received unauthorized shots of a COVID-19 vaccine, according to numbers provided by the CDC in mid-August."

And the article:

Ah, ok, thank you @BMI . So they say it's "likely" pretty much the same situation as in Europe.

I also knew about the risk for healthcare providers. Here they could risk losing their approbation as doctors altogether.

Reactions: BMI

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, ok, thank you @BMI . So they say it's "likely" pretty much the same situation as in Europe.

I also knew about the risk for healthcare providers. Here they could risk losing their approbation as doctors altogether.

I don't think it will hold up in the USA. An excerpt from the article shared by @BMI

"
Experts in health care law told NPR that the CDC's threats are vague, and it's not clear that they would hold up in court. "Off-label prescribing [for other drugs] happens every single day," says Ana Santos Rutschman, assistant professor at the Saint Louis University School of Law. "Probably a fifth to a quarter of drugs being administered go through that pathway." This approach to prescribing is common with some adult medicines given to children, or with people who are pregnant if they were not included in clinical trials.

"At the end of the day, this might be less of a legal problem and more of a policy problem," with the CDC trying to dissuade people from getting unauthorized vaccines en masse, now that the Pfizer vaccine is fully approved, she says.
"

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

And the article:

Honestly I don't really believe the CDC on this one. We use SO many meds off label every single day. In fact, even the use of the vaccine in pregnant and lactating women is off label, I think, yet it is widely and publicly supported by ACOG, SMFM, and 20+ other organizations.

I did ask my child's pediatrician about the possibility of them offering it off label. Knowing their practice, I suspected they would not offer the vaccine off label and I was correct about that. There are likely other pediatricians who will, though.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it will hold up in the USA. An excerpt from the article shared by @BMI

"
Experts in health care law told NPR that the CDC's threats are vague, and it's not clear that they would hold up in court. "Off-label prescribing [for other drugs] happens every single day," says Ana Santos Rutschman, assistant professor at the Saint Louis University School of Law. "Probably a fifth to a quarter of drugs being administered go through that pathway." This approach to prescribing is common with some adult medicines given to children, or with people who are pregnant if they were not included in clinical trials.

"At the end of the day, this might be less of a legal problem and more of a policy problem," with the CDC trying to dissuade people from getting unauthorized vaccines en masse, now that the Pfizer vaccine is fully approved, she says.
"

Ok, read that but too. They cite several health care providers who don't administer those shots at this point now out of caution.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out the differences. Funny how the systems differ. Here we don't pay a single cent out of pocket for most things, but in that specific instance the insurances wouldn't cover anything. And in the US, where people seem to be paying so much out of pocket that same scenario is covered.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, read that but too. They cite several health care providers who don't administer those shots at this point now out of caution.

Anyway, thank you for pointing out the differences. Funny how the systems differ. Here we don't pay a single cent out of pocket for most things, but in that specific instance the insurances wouldn't cover anything. And in the US, where people seem to be paying so much out of pocket that same scenario is covered.

Yeah I wish there was a perfect healthcare system.

Good healthcare should be a right and not a privilege but sadly there is much lacking in the USA healthcare.

I cannot speak to other countries healthcare because I know there is both good and bad and since I am not living it my impression is only from anecdotal evidence and not real life experience.

But I will say we all deserve to have excellent healthcare. No matter our socioeconomic factors, age, religion, disability, sex, gender, expression, gender identity, or sexual orientation etc.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Got the third dose of Moderna already at a clinic at the end of the day when the last few doses in the vial would have to have been discarded. Had the same side effects as I had with dose 2. Really grateful and feeling a little guilty for jumping in line, but like I say, they would have gone in the trash can.

Vaccines save lives.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the third dose of Moderna already at a clinic at the end of the day when the last few doses in the vial would have to have been discarded. Had the same side effects as I had with dose 2. Really grateful and feeling a little guilty for jumping in line, but like I say, they would have gone in the trash can.

Vaccines save lives.

I’m glad you were able to get vaccinated. ❤️
And yes vaccines do save lives.
I just wish we had a vaccine against ignorance.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@Calliecake I’m happy your brother got his vaccine. I’m wondering if doctors test for antibodies after the vaccine for people like your brother. It would be really good information to know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results