shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Covid 19 Booster vaccine when it is available to you?

Will you get the booster?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 181 82.3%
  • 2. No

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 3. Undecided

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yes, will get the booster. Was hoping the US would spend some time on looking at mixing brands, but that looks doubtful. Allergic reaction within 4 hours to both shots here and anticipate the booster will be the same again, but hopefully not worse. Was hoping to not take something I know I'm allergic to though- but doubtful this is approved in the US in the near term.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I GOT MINE TODAY! Moderna #3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me there's no question about getting the booster, it would be done.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.
I accept science.

Following smart people, instead of the others, is wise.

Oh yeah, wisdom is a GOOD thing.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I will get it after the CDC recommends it for everyone. I think there is evidence two shots already helps in resisting variant infection. I think there is such a thing as vaccine overkill if the benefits of a third shot are minimal.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have only recently been fully vaccinated so I will wait out the six months or so. I wonder if it there will be a tweaked version for upcoming variants within the next six months. I'd be very happy to receive one of those, if possible.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will definitely get it. I would love to get the Delta tweaked booster..but will take the regular vaccine if it’s offered to me first.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!

@AprilBaby, I hope you have an easier time with the vaccine this time. Please keep us posted.

I hope you didn’t mind me asking @AprilBaby, did you have to do anything special to get it? Was it just a matter of talking to your doctor to get the shot?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the J&J vax a week before they stopped it, back in April 2021. Idk if there's a booster specifically for it? If anyone knows I'm interested in more information. I will MOST DEFINITELY get a booster if that's the recommendation.

As an aside I had no side effects from the vax. Sore injection site and that was it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the J&J vax a week before they stopped it, back in April 2021. Idk if there's a booster specifically for it? If anyone knows I'm interested in more information. I will MOST DEFINITELY get a booster if that's the recommendation.

As an aside I had no side effects from the vax. Sore injection site and that was it.

Yes I believe it will be approved to get either Moderna or Pfizer as your booster/supplemental shot @monarch64. Though it is still up in the air as no final decisions have been made yet.
Here you go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only recently been fully vaccinated so I will wait out the six months or so. I wonder if it there will be a tweaked version for upcoming variants within the next six months. I'd be very happy to receive one of those, if possible.

My guess is yes within that time frame probably there will be a variant specific booster offered. Just my best guess though.

I will definitely get it. I would love to get the Delta tweaked booster..but will take the regular vaccine if it’s offered to me first.

I think if they offer you a third shot of what you already had that will be sufficient. It will increase your antibodies and help protect you against the variants. What would be even better (my opinion) is to get Pfizer as your third if you had Moderna as your first two. But that probably won't be approved by the time you are offered your third. So I would just get what they offer you Joanne.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will get it after the CDC recommends it for everyone. I think there is evidence two shots already helps in resisting variant infection. I think there is such a thing as vaccine overkill if the benefits of a third shot are minimal.

Evidence suggests that after 6 months protection wanes. One is still 37% protected against getting Covid 19 but 84% protected against getting severe disease. (Numbers I am quoting are from memory so might not be exact). So while one is protected against severe disease the protection against getting Covid goes down dramatically.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess is yes within that time frame probably there will be a variant specific booster offered. Just my best guess though.

I think if they offer you a third shot of what you already had that will be sufficient. It will increase your antibodies and help protect you against the variants. What would be even better (my opinion) is to get Pfizer as your third if you had Moderna as your first two. But that probably won't be approved by the time you are offered your third. So I would just get what they offer you Joanne.

@missy I know you would prefer to take the Pfizer as your third if you have a choice. What are your thoughts on this? I know you’ve done a lot of research..My first absolute choice would be a Delta tweaked booster.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!

@AprilBaby, I hope you have an easier time with the vaccine this time. Please keep us posted.

I hope you didn’t mind me asking @AprilBaby, did you have to do anything special to get it? Was it just a matter of talking to your doctor to get the shot?

It is available nation wide at Walgreens if you are immunocomprmised. It was just walk in. You fill out some papers and they give you the shot.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: so 1 st shot I got a lymph node on day 8 ( January) that I still have. It’s been tested and tested but they are not worried. That was my only reaction.
2nd shot I got really sick. Vaccine at 10 am ,sick at 2 am the next morning for about 24 hrs. Severe headache, body aches, fever for a short time maybe 1/2 hr.
Booster: got at 11, about 8 pm my arm started to hurt, then body. Went to bed but didn’t sleep, got a fever and chills for about 2 hrs, bad headache, every muscle in my body hurts. The lymph node is bigger. I’m miserable but seriously not as bad as shot 2. Mostly pain everywhere. I’m not as tired as last time even tho I didn’t sleep. If it wasn’t for the headache and muscle pain I would be fine today.
For me it’s all worth it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My husband got the vaccine in October- so pretty early - bc he was a study participant and got the real thing and not the placebo. I’m worried since it’s been so long and hope a booster can be available soon.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your response @AprilBaby. I am sorry you aren’t feeling well today but am so glad you were able to get the 3rd shot. I have three family members that qualify for the 3rd vaccine. They were asking me yesterday if I had heard how soon they would be able to get one. Thank you so much for posting about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I know you would prefer to take the Pfizer as your third if you have a choice. What are your thoughts on this? I know you’ve done a lot of research..My first absolute choice would be a Delta tweaked booster.

I would mix the vaccines.

The 2 MRNA vaccines are similar but slightly different and perhaps mixing them would give a better antibody response. Would that translate into better protection? No one knows for sure yet.

I know in Canada they are recommending to take whatever is available so if you had Pfizer you could get your second as Moderna. They had a delay in their Pfizer shipment last month and advised those who got Pfizer as their first and were due for their second to get Moderna. I don't see a downside but of course no definitive evidence exists right now as this is still evolving. That is what I would do if possible.

And definitely if one got Astrazeneca the evidence indicates you could get better protection getting Pfizer as your second. That I think we know already. The question remains what would be best for the booster and no one knows for sure yet.

I do think a real booster will be available at some point in the fall for those who want to get a shot directed at some of the variants. But for the most part if a booster (ie third shot) becomes available to you before the true booster does I wouldn't hesitate to get that either.

Just some of my thoughts as they are now...and I reserve the right to change my mind when new evidence arises.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The case for mixing Astrazeneca as the first and Pfizer as the second.

Mixing Pfizer and Moderna.

People are already doing it so it is a big experiment happening right now.

Just a snip.

"
Scientists across the globe are studying the method through a different lens. Can receiving a different COVID-19 shot for your second dose provide extra protection against more contagious coronavirus variants?

Although preliminary, data on mixing shots, scientifically known as “heterologous prime-boost vaccination,” offers some positive news.

Mixing and matching is a promising avenue to increase the efficacy of vaccines. It does appear that it may be effective and help improve vaccine efficacy and develop second-generation vaccines,” Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar with the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told McClatchy News in an email, speaking of the concept in relation to the delta variant.

Dr. Dan Barouch, an immunologist at Harvard Medical School who helped develop the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, agrees.

Infectious disease experts say the method appears to work because the studied vaccines function differently, suggesting the mix-and-match method could teach the immune system to recognize the coronavirus in more ways than one.

Despite the positive evidence collected so far, federal and international health officials say it’s too early to officially recommend mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines to receive extra protection against variants.

The National Institutes of Health announced June 1 that it started a clinical trial to study the method.

"

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would mix the vaccines.

The 2 MRNA vaccines are similar but slightly different and perhaps mixing them would give a better antibody response. Would that translate into better protection? No one knows for sure yet.

I know in Canada they are recommending to take whatever is available so if you had Pfizer you could get your second as Moderna. They had a delay in their Pfizer shipment last month and advised those who got Pfizer as their first and were due for their second to get Moderna. I don't see a downside but of course no definitive evidence exists right now as this is still evolving. That is what I would do if possible.

And definitely if one got Astrazeneca the evidence indicates you could get better protection getting Pfizer as your second. That I think we know already. The question remains what would be best for the booster and no one knows for sure yet.

I do think a real booster will be available at some point in the fall for those who want to get a shot directed at some of the variants. But for the most part if a booster (ie third shot) becomes available to you before the true booster does I wouldn't hesitate to get that either.

Just some of my thoughts as they are now...and I reserve the right to change my mind when new evidence arises.

@missy I read that Moderna was considering halving the dose and adding the flu vaccine. I would rather have the full dose. I don’t know..but it seems like the full dose would give us more protection..

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I will. I am hoping for a variant-specific booster instead of just a third shot. I think that we will probably end up getting yearly COVID variant shots for the foreseeable future (and maybe forever).

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
@missy I read that Moderna was considering halving the dose and adding the flu vaccine. I would rather have the full dose. I don’t know..but it seems like the full dose would give us more protection..

There was a Mayo Clinic study this week that showed fewer breakthroughs in Moderna vs Pfizer (with the caveat being that the vaccines were originally approved to prevent severe infection/hospitalizations/death, so the massive reduction in infection was a surprise bonus). I wonder if that will change the approach to dosing since the Moderna dosing was 100 mcg while Pfizer was 30 mcg.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results