carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Coronavirus vaccine?

Will you get the Covid 19 vaccine?

• Total voters

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
90% effective is actually amazing and better than the bar the regulatory authorities set (which was 50%). The crazy strict storage regulations are because these are RNA vaccines.

what does RNA mean please ?
and yes i fully intend to get the vacine to do my part for heard imunity

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Australian here - very healthy but I would get the immunization in a heartbeat. My father has stage 4 cancer, my father in law has advanced Parkinson’s plus along with them our mothers are also in their late 70’s. They live next door to us so I would get our whole family done just so we wouldn’t accidentally spread any chance of Covid to them.

I would also like to say yo people who have had Covid - there is no proof you can’t get it a second time plus there are cases where the illness has morphed into a different strain.

Our family prior to this year travelled at least once a year to Hawaii - I would love if their restrictions of not allowing people who cannot prove they are Covid clear or alternatively that they are immunized before entry was put in place permanently.

Im actually hoping Australia will put these restrictions into place as well.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
what does RNA mean please ?
and yes i fully intend to get the vacine to do my part for heard imunity

In the central dogma of biology, DNA is transcribed into RNA and RNA is translated into proteins. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are RNA molecules. When injected as a vaccine, the RNA is translated by the patient’s body into a protein or protein segment from the coronavirus. I believe one if not both translate the spIke protein of the virus, which is the protein which the virus uses to enter the host cell. The spike protein is foreign, so the patient’s body develops an immune response to it. Then if the patient comes across the coronavirus, his or her body is already primed to mount an immune response to it. Note that the vaccine only makes one protein from the virus - it cannot infect you with the virus. RNA is a very sensitive molecule that can easily be degraded. Thus it must be kept cold to minimize degradation.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest worry is not related to side effects. I’m more worried that if 30-50% of Americans here get vaccinated, it’s not enough for herd immunity, but people who get it will be understandably impatient to get back to normal non restricted life. And i think govt would find it hard to maintain lockdowns at that point. And then those that are unvaccinated will likely continue to not shelter in place due to lack of belief in covid in the first place, poor understanding of herd immunity, or just burnout and difficulty resisting going back to normal when they are seeing other people and parts of the country unrestricted. And covid will continue to wreak havoc amid areas that have lower vaccination rates. :(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My biggest worry is not related to side effects. I’m more worried that if 30-50% of Americans here get vaccinated, it’s not enough for herd immunity, but people who get it will be understandably impatient to get back to normal non restricted life. And i think govt would find it hard to maintain lockdowns at that point. And then those that are unvaccinated will likely continue to not shelter in place due to lack of belief in covid in the first place, poor understanding of herd immunity, or just burnout and difficulty resisting going back to normal when they are seeing other people and parts of the country unrestricted. And covid will continue to wreak havoc amid areas that have lower vaccination rates. :(

if that happens once again its the most valuable at risk.
what kind of society are we to put our most valuable citizens at risk

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the central dogma of biology, DNA is transcribed into RNA and RNA is translated into proteins. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are RNA molecules. When injected as a vaccine, the RNA is translated by the patient’s body into a protein or protein segment from the coronavirus. I believe one if not both translate the spIke protein of the virus, which is the protein which the virus uses to enter the host cell. The spike protein is foreign, so the patient’s body develops an immune response to it. Then if the patient comes across the coronavirus, his or her body is already primed to mount an immune response to it. Note that the vaccine only makes one protein from the virus - it cannot infect you with the virus. RNA is a very sensitive molecule that can easily be degraded. Thus it must be kept cold to minimize degradation.

thank you

The last time the question was asked I said I would rush to get the vaccine as soon as it was offered. Now, the only thing that has changed is that I’d like to volunteer to be literally the very first one so I can just get this damn vaccine already and stop stressing about all my loved ones catching Covid from me.

The science is quite clear for whoever wants to take a look, vaccines (in general) work, and the two Covid vaccines that have currently reported 90%+ efficacy have not undergone any major shortcuts in testing (they clubbed some stages together and expedited all the paperwork but they still have held large scale clinical trials and inoculated tens or hundreds of thousands with very few, if any, major side effects). I’m pretty okay with having some soreness and mild fever for a couple days if it means I don’t cause myself or someone I love to suffer like some of my family members have. I had an uncle in his early 40s who had a full check up (which included a heart checkup) a few months before he caught Covid, no pre-existing conditions. He was hospitalised for nearly a month (including in intensive care) and while he did make it out of the hospital and was beginning to recover, he suffered a heart attack and didn’t make it (and it was the opinion of his doctors that Covid weakened his body and heart). So yes, while we won’t know about some super long term effects of this vaccine - I can’t think of any vaccine that caused serious health implications to pop up 2-3 years later (in the rare rare chance of an adverse effect, it’s pretty immediate), and we have much more data about the possible long term effects of Covid, so, for me, it’s a no brainer. If you have an allergy to any component of the vaccine - absolutely DO NOT take it. But if you can, I believe it’s my moral duty to do so.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I will get the vaccine as soon as I am able to. I have several risk factors and have been living very conservatively this year. I think a vaccine is the best hope for our country to overcome the coronavirus, and will do my part.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
just back from the grocery store to fill up the additional freezer that we ordered so that we can minimize our usual weekly trips ... the hoarding of toilet paper has started ... lots of empty shelves

because we have reservations with the vaccine, we are prepared and willing to continue our lockdown, shelter in place life(style). if one chooses not to get vaccinated, it is important to be responsible and remain in self quarantine

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
without getting political i do in no way shape or forn like our government but thankfully they do listen to their advisers - the same advisors who would be advising my lot if we were in power

This!!!!

We have the beginnings of an outbreak in SA right now and it's very obvious how much the government listens to their Chief Health Officer. She is the one making the calls (as she should be). I don't know which party is actually in power but I'm pretty confident that they all listen to their scientists no matter which party they belong to.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Mellow Yellow I think the SA government is Liberal? But even so I think every Premier here are now taking the utmost effort to not have another Victoria outbreak happen. Even with the Ruby Princess disaster NSW had lower rates of death then the poor Victorians have suffered through.
I think we are pretty blessed to be in Australia with smaller population and governments who in the whole remain focussed on the greater good of the whole rather then a few.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mellow Yellow I think the SA government is Liberal? But even so I think every Premier here are now taking the utmost effort to not have another Victoria outbreak happen. Even with the Ruby Princess disaster NSW had lower rates of death then the poor Victorians have suffered through.
I think we are pretty blessed to be in Australia with smaller population and governments who in the whole remain focussed on the greater good of the whole rather then a few.

I've just realised they are not allowed to leave their property for exercise (correct me if I'm wrong). It is only for 6 days though and I think they are trying to avoid the months long lockdown Victoria had.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've just realised they are not allowed to leave their property for exercise (correct me if I'm wrong). It is only for 6 days though and I think they are trying to avoid the months long lockdown Victoria had.

i shoock my head at that initial UK lock down
all that exercise and dog walking
and not surprising it wasn't nearly as affective as how we did it in our part of the world.
Although we know we got lucky, we had geography, a tiny bit of time on our sids plus governments who for the most part got the buy in of the people to do what ever we had to for the safety of our old and at risk.

We didn't do it with out fault and its still a daily fight but thank God we don't have hospitals and morgues over flowing like in some other places

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
My husband had it so bad it almost killed him, he still has fairly serious effects from it. He's been told he won't be able to get the vaccine because if it causes him even a mild case it would kill him now. I probably won't be able to get it either, unless I were to isolate from him for a couple weeks afterward. Going to have a long talk with his docs before I even consider it.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read all the replies, but yes, I will. I work in a hospital and my husband and I have 2 very elderly parents who are not in great health. Vaccine research and development is well established, and while there are rare side effects (which are devastating if it’s you who gets one, I know), the vast majority of people will be fine.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@barbie86 , you say you've had COVID. You're aware that immunity from an infection doesn't last very long - contrary to what scientific research hoped in the beginning.

Iirc you haven't been tested either. So it's not certain you had COVID.

We had a person with COVID symptoms in my immediate family.

She had ALL the symptoms for about three days. (Severe muscle pain, headache, stuffed nose, high fever, cough, fatigue and one day of loss of taste/smell...cough persisited about 3-4 weeks).

She was tested three times - you need to take one test when having symptoms, then 7 days after that one to be clear from isolation and as she went home to her grandparents three days later she chose to be tested again.

We all self isolated and were tested as well , because she had symptoms and three of my kids got some of the symptoms(runny nose, cough,headache) a few days after she fell ill. No positive tests .. Even with the possible 30% false negatives rate, one out if the 12 tests conducted would have shown positive.

It was just an ordinary, bad cold. It's still out there. Like it used to be b4 C19

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes I probably will, I am getting covid tested tomorrow due to exposure from someone who is currently very ill and inpatient...my entire family is high risk, we all have asthma, my youngest son has it the worst, I am 60 and have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure...I am currently living everyday in fear till I reach day 14 from exposure (which is this Saturday) or I get my test results...if getting the vaccine helps with my overwhelming anxiety that I feel then oh yeah I will be getting it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes I probably will, I am getting covid tested tomorrow due to exposure from someone who is currently very ill and inpatient...my entire family is high risk, we all have asthma, my youngest son has it the worst, I am 60 and have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure...I am currently living everyday in fear till I reach day 14 from exposure (which is this Saturday) or I get my test results...if getting the vaccine helps with my overwhelming anxiety that I feel then oh yeah I will be getting it

best wishes you test negative and your family are all ok
i think the vacine will be good for covid anxiety
i look forward to just taking my time at the supermarket or not being paranoid when someone gets too close

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband had it so bad it almost killed him, he still has fairly serious effects from it. He's been told he won't be able to get the vaccine because if it causes him even a mild case it would kill him now. I probably won't be able to get it either, unless I were to isolate from him for a couple weeks afterward. Going to have a long talk with his docs before I even consider it.

does your hubby have long covid ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not reading any of the responses just yet. We will get the vaccine once I feel it is safe to do so. When will that be? IDK. Time will tell and I will evaluate the situation when the vaccine is available and will know when I know if you kwim. But we do hope to get the vaccine at some point.

We also get the flu vaccination every year. The one year I did not get it I got the flu and it was horrible. As in I was afraid I was going to die (it was that bad) and I was afraid I wasn't going to die (since I felt so horrible I felt like I wanted to be put out of my misery if you kwim) so yeah we plan on getting the Covid vaccine yearly if need be. As long as I feel it is safe and again time will tell. We won't be rushing to get it til I feel it is safe to do so.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not reading any of the responses just yet. We will get the vaccine once I feel it is safe to do so. When will that be? IDK. Time will tell and I will evaluate the situation when the vaccine is available and will know when I know if you kwim. But we do hope to get the vaccine at some point.

We also get the flu vaccination every year. The one year I did not get it I got the flu and it was horrible. As in I was afraid I was going to die (it was that bad) and I was afraid I wasn't going to die (since I felt so horrible I felt like I wanted to be put out of my misery if you kwim) so yeah we plan on getting the Covid vaccine yearly if need be. As long as I feel it is safe and again time will tell. We won't be rushing to get it til I feel it is safe to do so.

yes Missy.
a case of the real flu was enough for us to be convinved of the merits of the flu vacine
i was getting better but Gary ended up with pneumonia
i can see how the flu kills people
thankfully this year withbquareteen on the boarder NZ only got a handful of flu cases this winter
they say something like 1,600 more people are alive due to not catching the flu this year
people who laugh off the flu have never actually had the flu just a bad cold

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for saying this! This is my exact worry. I don't want to rush into getting a vaccine against something I know doesn't affect me, only to end up with said vaccine exacerbating my preexisting conditions.

I am in a massive panic about it TBH. I am so worried that employers will insist on it, and then I won't be able to work, because I really do not want to get it

My partner thinks I am being insane, I don't. I can see it becoming compulsory because of political reasons

I just don't think they can make you get it. I could be wrong but I just do not see forcible vaccinations happening for the general population. I was a healthcare worker and we had to get yearly vaccinations for certain things however, if one is in the general population and not working with the public per se I don't see it happening. If you have school age children they might have to get vaccinated unless they get an exemption for whatever reason would be allowed. Try not to stress about this now. Don't worry about this yet IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have time frames for those stages
..... or did i miss it in another post ?

edit
holy cow
looking at those fingers i forget what a huge country you guys have

Yeah it's hard to extrapolate data from other countries to ours as we are huge in size. I don't think there is a hard time line yet. There's a lot of info I linked however and I haven't read the entire thing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes Missy.
a case of the real flu was enough for us to be convinved of the merits of the flu vacine
i was getting better but Gary ended up with pneumonia
i can see how the flu kills people
thankfully this year withbquareteen on the boarder NZ only got a handful of flu cases this winter
they say something like 1,600 more people are alive due to not catching the flu this year
people who laugh off the flu have never actually had the flu just a bad cold

Yup. I have preexisting conditions and the flu was quite horrible for me. I cannot even imagine how bad Covid could be. It has killed many without any preexisting conditions. Healthy and young individuals. I don't care a fig for statistics in this case because this disease is too new IMO for statistics to be relevant. If it happens to you (proverbial you) statistics don't matter. In this case safety and precautions and being proactive is critical so you (proverbial you) don't find out where you fall within these so called statistics re Covid 19.

Prevention is best here IMO. Are you familiar with that quote "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No not at all. I actually had no idea it would take two years for anything sinister to appear. I assumed that by a few months it would wreak havoc with your system if it was going to do that!

Or longer. Not being facetious here. We won't know until we know if you kwim. For me, within a reasonable amount of time I hope to decide to get it. Maybe 2 years. Maybe less. Maybe longer. Or if bad side effects become evident maybe never. Unfortunately, like with many things, there is no perfect solution/cure so there will most likely be a calculated risk no matter when one decides to get it or not get it.

Either way it is a calculated risk. And just because one had Covid and didn't have severe symptoms doesn't mean if one gets it again they will have the same mild symptoms.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results