carat
color
clarity

Will you get the Coronavirus vaccine?

Will you get the Covid 19 vaccine?

• Total voters

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
(I know there are a few threads on COVID 19 already, so please merge if need be.)

Otherwise, will you or won't you be getting a vaccine against Covid 19 in the near future? And what are you reasons why/why not?

I'll start: I won't be getting one. I have had Covid and it didn't affect me badly at all. But I have underlying health conditions that a relatively untested vaccine could potentially exacerbate (even the stress of having to have a vaccine I don't want could cause major issues for a year). I am not prepared to risk a major relapse when I know I will recover from the virus itself.

Otherwise I am fully up to date on vaccinations. And once the long term implications of the Covid one are know I may well get it. Just not yet. My partner feels the same.

My mum is going to get it, as she is 70, has a chronic lung condition, and hasn't had Covid, so doesn't know how she would react.

How does everyone else feel? Will you get it, or not?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I plan on going back to work in person after my maternity leave so I qualify in the second tier of people to get it (right after medical workers).

Do you know where I can find a listing of those tiers? Also, are you in the US?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t plan on getting it, DH will get it if his employer requires it. They will probably make it mandatory for our kids to attend public school, I will worry about that when the time comes.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I don’t plan on getting it, DH will get it if his employer requires it. They will probably make it mandatory for our kids to attend public school, I will worry about that when the time comes.

Do you mind me asking, are you against vaccines in general? Or just this one?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind me asking, are you against vaccines in general? Or just this one?

I don’t get any vaccines myself, the last one I got was a tetanus shot 21 years ago. My older son is partially vaccinated, the younger one is not vaccinated (apart from vitamin K) the older one did not tolerate his shots well, he was very low birth weight...I have shared this on the forum before so I don’t want to sound like a broken record.

As far as the COVID shot, it’s a completely new shot and vaccine manufacturers have immunity from lawsuits so that makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to dig deep into available studies before I get vaccinated. There hasn't been sufficient time to gather statistically significant results across a broad spectrum of the population. My concern at this point is what, if any, long term effects may show up after 2 or more years after vaccination.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I don’t get any vaccines myself, the last one I got was a tetanus shot 21 years ago. My older son is partially vaccinated, the younger one is not vaccinated (apart from vitamin K) the older one did not tolerate his shots well, he was very low birth weight...I have shared this on the forum before so I don’t want to sound like a broken record.

Thank you for replying, especially as you have done so before (fairly new here).

I will say, I do think vaccinations are a good thing, provided they are tried and tested (like any medication/treatment). In terms of newer vaccines, I do think they should be a choice, and not forced on people in any way.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to dig deep into available studies before I get vaccinated. There hasn't been sufficient time to gather statistically significant results across a broad spectrum of the population. My concern at this point is what, if any, long term effects may show up after 2 or more years after vaccination.

Thank you for saying this! This is my exact worry. I don't want to rush into getting a vaccine against something I know doesn't affect me, only to end up with said vaccine exacerbating my preexisting conditions.

I am in a massive panic about it TBH. I am so worried that employers will insist on it, and then I won't be able to work, because I really do not want to get it

My partner thinks I am being insane, I don't. I can see it becoming compulsory because of political reasons

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for replying, especially as you have done so before (fairly new here).

I will say, I do think vaccinations are a good thing, provided they are tried and tested (like any medication/treatment). In terms of newer vaccines, I do think they should be a choice, and not forced on people in any way.

Of course, you know the great thing about PS is being able to share different viewpoints and perspectives.

If my kids grow up and decide to be vaccinated that is totally their call and I will support that. To be honest though I don’t think we will have a choice, I fully expect that if you want to participate in society it will be mandatory to prove you’ve had a COVID shot.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i don't think so, no covid vaccination for us, just yet ...

we are not considered high risk and without pre-existing conditions

as far as we know, we have not had covid

not enough clinical trials, insufficient data, inconclusive long term effects

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I would get it, as I work in health. But if there was a choice, I wouldn't get the first available vaccine for the sake of it. Happy to get it after more evidence that it actually works and minimal side effects.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
To be honest though I don’t think we will have a choice, I fully expect that if you want to participate in society it will be mandatory to prove you’ve had a COVID shot.

This is my concern. As I said, my partner thinks I am being insane, but so far, I have predicted every move from our government (whether I agree or not), so yeah...

If they make it mandatory I still will not get it. I would rather lose money than my health.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
i don't think so, no covid vaccination for us, just yet ...

we are not considered high risk and without pre-existing conditions

as far as we know, we have not had covid

not enough clinical trials, insufficient data, inconclusive long term effects

This is basically how I feel, only added to that I have had Covid and it was a complete non issue for me personally; and I have pre existing conditions which put me at risk of an untested vaccine.

I guess I am just being sensitive because everyone in the media is saying how a vaccine is amazing and we should all jump at it, and if you don't you're a selfish arse. And it's like no, that isn't the case.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i will happily get it
the NZ govt has ordered 1.5 million doses so i wont be front of the line but Gary will
i have mild asthma but no way do i want to risk my luck with covid.
i am more than happy to pay my part as part of the herd, so people who for whatever reason- do not want to or cannot have the vacine

the major political parties here have said it will not be compulsory nor do i beleave it will be compulsory in America
but i totally understand and suoport any organisation or country who wants to restrict entry to people who have been vaccinated

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
yes, i will happily get it
the NZ govt has ordered 1.5 million doses so i wont be front of the line but Gary will
i have mild asthma but no way do i want to risk my luck with covid.
i am more than happy to pay my part as part of the herd, so people who for whatever reason- do not want to or cannot have the vacine

Does it not concern you at all that it is relatively untested?

NB: this is a genuine question: not criticizing or trying to start a debate, just curious.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yes - my grandmother is missing part of her lung (it was removed last year due to cancer), has asthma, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I see her yearly. She’s had cancer three times at this point (and they found something they think might be cancer again) so I don’t think I have much longer. Last year I flew home to take care of her after her surgery. I haven’t been able to see her this year and next year is up in the air. If this vaccine means it would be safe to see her, I’m more than happy to take it. I’m young and healthy. I’ll take my chances.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

NB: this is a genuine question: not criticizing or trying to start a debate, just curious.

well i have faith in the govt - not the elected part, but the govt advisors (science) who are the ones who are really keeping us safe right now
also i beleave by the time we get it here other countries will have gone first, certainly by the time i get it
i find the stress of covid much much higher than the stress of a vaccine and im afraid of needles!
my other half had pnumona years ago and no one in this house enjoyed that

i have no judgement toward people who do not want it - i know they all have their reasons

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes - my grandmother is missing part of her lung (it was removed last year due to cancer), has asthma, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I see her yearly. She’s had cancer three times at this point (and they found something they think might be cancer again) so I don’t think I have much longer. Last year I flew home to take care of her after her surgery. I haven’t been able to see her this year and next year is up in the air. If this vaccine means it would be safe to see her, I’m more than happy to take it. I’m young and healthy. I’ll take my chances.

best wishes for your grandma
i hope you get to see her soon

inne

Shiny_Rock
I will absolutely get it when it is available. I think it's essential to protecting me and those around me, and I'm very lucky to not have any health issues that would prevent me from being vaccinated. Without mass vaccination, we're never going to get out of this.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ahh craps is it two years?

I was hoping to wait for three months or so before getting vaccinated.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
best wishes for your grandma
i hope you get to see her soon

Thank you. I hope so too. We purchased a much larger house so she could come stay for extended visits and be comfortable with her own, dedicated space but then covid happened and then the possible 4th cancer finding happened shortly after. She has so many doctors appointments now but I’m hoping that after the vaccine she can safely travel and stay with us for a bit.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
well i have faith in the govt - not the elected part, but the govt advisors (science) who are the ones who are really keeping us safe right now
also i beleave by the time we get it here other countries will have gone first, certainly by the time i get it
i find the stress of covid much much higher than the stress of a vaccine and im afraid of needles!
my other half had pnumona years ago and no one in this house enjoyed that

i have no judgement toward people who do not want it - i know they all have their reasons

That's fair enough.

I personally have little faith in the UK government as they have given huge contracts to people who have not delivered, because said people pay into the Tory coffers. So as it stands at the moment, I am suspicious that they have bought 40m vaccines that are only 90% effective, and that have crazy strict storage regs making them super hard to store and then administer, when if they had waited like 5 days they could have got something better..

That to me smacks of politics, and not the best interests of the people.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Ahh craps is it two years?

I was hoping to wait for three months or so before getting vaccinated.

Not sure if you're being facetious, but it's a minimum of 2 years for something like this. And honestly for most drugs or vaccines, more like 5 plus.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a theory. Not a very scientific one but it's a theory.

I think you are either strong or you're not. So in this sense Covid will either kill you or you'll sail through without symptoms. I think it's the same with a vaccine. They've tested it and although we don't know what the true long term side effects will be you'll either be fine or it'll strike you down with some sinister side effect. I guess I feel like at this point it's all down to how tough you are built anyway so I may as well get the vaccine and run around guilt free. Bank on my tough third world genes to get me through.

It's a calculated risk imo and someone has to take it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you're being facetious, but it's a minimum of 2 years for something like this. And honestly for most drugs or vaccines, more like 5 plus.

No not at all. I actually had no idea it would take two years for anything sinister to appear. I assumed that by a few months it would wreak havoc with your system if it was going to do that!

inne

Shiny_Rock
That's fair enough.

I personally have little faith in the UK government as they have given huge contracts to people who have not delivered, because said people pay into the Tory coffers. So as it stands at the moment, I am suspicious that they have bought 40m vaccines that are only 90% effective, and that have crazy strict storage regs making them super hard to store and then administer, when if they had waited like 5 days they could have got something better..

That to me smacks of politics, and not the best interests of the people.

The UK made the initial deal with Pfizer in July and made a deal with Moderna as well. Since the spring, governments around the world have entered into agreements with various pharmaceutical companies (often more than one) to ensure they have access ASAP rather than having to wait in line. Canada has contracts in place with both Moderna and Pfizer, along with many other pharmaceutical companies.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results