carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @caf!

@stracci2000, I saw an illusion ring on Ebay recently that had a 1/2 carat center but they wanted $899 for it. I definitely think you could be on to something with the explanation for the smaller stone sizes. Are you looking for an illusion ring for yourself? The ones with the diamonds underneath the main stone are a little harder to find but I almost prefer the illusion setting on the ring I just bought, more of a starburst design, the stone seems to blend in a bit better making it look larger which is the whole point afterall

I just wonder, if I found a 3/4 carat day in a vintage solitaire setting what price range a pawn shop would be asking. Maybe it's better I don't find out!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @caf!

@stracci2000, I saw an illusion ring on Ebay recently that had a 1/2 carat center but they wanted $899 for it. I definitely think you could be on to something with the explanation for the smaller stone sizes. Are you looking for an illusion ring for yourself? The ones with the diamonds underneath the main stone are a little harder to find but I almost prefer the illusion setting on the ring I just bought, more of a starburst design, the stone seems to blend in a bit better making it look larger which is the whole point afterall

I just wonder, if I found a 3/4 carat day in a vintage solitaire setting what price range a pawn shop would be asking. Maybe it's better I don't find out!
You may recall I have an illusion ring, .25, my first pawn shop purchase.
I have seen a lot more since then, but only a few were OECs, and even then, they weren't as sparkly, nor as reasonable as that first one!
IMG_20180315_102730542_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally forgot about that one @stracci2000! I was thinking of the ring that you found that you had to replace the prongs on, this one is so pretty and I honestly don't remember but I'm sure you got a great deal on it.

I'm coming up with a lot of early round brilliant/transitionals in this style setting. I appreciate the transitional for their white bright color and faceting but they are on the quiet side, maybe the ones I have found are not an ideal cut. My OEC is a little more lively but definitely takes on more environmental color. Someday I'd like to get my hands on an ideal brilliant cut to see what everyone raves about that is way down the line though because the prices blow me away.

Which of your stones is your favorite cut?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally forgot about that one @stracci2000! I was thinking of the ring that you found that you had to replace the prongs on, this one is so pretty and I honestly don't remember but I'm sure you got a great deal on it.

I'm coming up with a lot of early round brilliant/transitionals in this style setting. I appreciate the transitional for their white bright color and faceting but they are on the quiet side, maybe the ones I have found are not an ideal cut. My OEC is a little more lively but definitely takes on more environmental color. Someday I'd like to get my hands on an ideal brilliant cut to see what everyone raves about that is way down the line though because the prices blow me away.

Which of your stones is your favorite cut?
Well, I have a handful of diamond rings now. These 3 are the bigger ones. My camera phone is awful. I just cant get a clear shot.
Top, .76 G, SI1,OEC
Middle 1.10 J/K, SI2 MRB
Bottom .75 G, VVS2 OEC
IMG_20180503_193852962.jpg
If I had to pick a favorite though, it is the .75 OEC in the man's ring.
It was given to me as a mans's ring by a dear old friend who died shortly thereafter. I never had the heart to have it reset. It does fit my middle finger, and I wear it occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_132352342.jpg
    IMG_20181111_132352342.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow such great rings, that man's ring is really neat, I'm glad you can wear it since it is obviously very special.

Did you make the settings on the other rings? They are all so cool and I know you are talented and can whip up some settings if needed.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow such great rings, that man's ring is really neat, I'm glad you can wear it since it is obviously very special.

Did you make the settings on the other rings? They are all so cool and I know you are talented and can whip up some settings if needed.
No, they are both Stuller settings, done by a "real" jeweler!
The top diamond was removed from an illusion setting many years ago. The setting had many problems, and needed to be changed out, but I kind of regret not trying to repair the old setting. At the time, I was into asymmetrical settings, as you can see by the top 2 rings. The MRB was my old engagement diamond, which originally was in a plain solitaire.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I may have bought an 18K engraved white gold band on black Friday :twisted2:

Anyone else find some treasures over the holiday weekend?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am trying so hard to resist temptation... :confused2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying so hard to resist temptation... :confused2:

Let's just ignore the fact that you have one of the most amazing CS rings on PS, is there something you are *this close* to buying??

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let's just ignore the fact that you have one of the most amazing CS rings on PS, is there something you are *this close* to buying??
Thanks Steph! I'm "this close" to buying a yellow gold French pave band from Blue Nile at 50% off to go with my "eventually to be set" OEC, which will go in a yellow gold classic 6 prong solitaire setting. I really shouldn't, but... :mrgreen:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, well that sounds like it will be amazing! I guess we'll have to wait and see if you cave to temptation!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few interesting things at an estate sale today.
A Towle sterling baby cup, and a Lunt sterling "porriger",
Which is a baby food bowl. I had to look that one up!
Also, antique eyeglasses and a cannon ball. Civil war? I'll be researching that one.
These are the weird things that interest me!
IMG_20181130_164059780.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are cool! I can totally see the glasses perched on some antique books in an office. You know designers love that kind of stuff.

Are you usually one of the early birds at the estate sales you go to? I imagine you have to get there early if you want to get the good stuff.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the sales usually start at 8 or 9. I am not an early bird!
I think we got to that one about 9:30. I try to go relatively early, but I won't go so early that I have to wait in line to get in!
The sterling pieces were a steal at $4.00 each. I'm pretty sure that the estate sale people didn't know they were sterling.
You don't like my cannon ball? I don't think I'll ever figure out where it came from, but it looks right for the Civil War period. Maybe even Spanish American war? It can't be any later than that. It was a good deal at $2.00.
I have always liked militaria, 'cause my Dad was a collector when I was a kid. He had an awesome collection of WWII items.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No,no the cannon ball is very cool, I was just immediately drawn to the glasses for some reason. Really same idea though, it would make a great conversation piece. You also can't go wrong with sterling for $4!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Sunday Friends!

Well I was supposed to have an engraved band that I ordered last week by yesterday but it looks like it is lost. It was an EBay purchase and when I asked them if they had a tracking number the response was "you should have had this by Thursday". Since then I have sent two messages and no response. I will give it a few more days before taking further action.

So, no ring to show you today :sick: In other news I do have another engraved diamond band on the way so let's hope that one doesn't get lost!

If you found some goodies, share away!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! @StephanieLynn, that is just awful.
Hopefully the package will show up eventually.
It sounds like you have a nice engraved band collection!
You need to take a group shot of them all, we would love to see!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know right? So annoying about lost items in the mail. More frustrating though is I have asked the seller for the tracking number and gotten no response......so that doesn't leave me with a warm and happy feeling. IF that one shoes up then I will have two engraved bands to show you guys, fingers crossed. Worst case scenario is I open a case for non-delivery and get my money back but I would rather have the ring than the money.

How are you doing this weekend @stracci2000, have you decorated for the holiday season yet? So far we have put up the tree and put lights on it. That might be all the decorating we do for this year with that crazy kitten running around!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom loved all this antique stuff. Our house looked like a colonial museum. What do you guys do with all this stuff? I would go crazy with stuff all over the house. Btw, I DO love the stuff,history is my favorite, especially since I grew up in Philadelphia.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby most of what I buy is for resale but even then it takes up room until you actually sell it :confused2: Luckily my biggest seller is vintage Strawberry Shortcake dolls so they don't take up a ton of room. Jewelry has a case with many little compartments so that's not so bad.

Not sure about @stracci2000 and where she keeps all her treasures. She comes away with some amazing things, I would find them hard to let go of.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom loved all this antique stuff. Our house looked like a colonial museum. What do you guys do with all this stuff? I would go crazy with stuff all over the house. Btw, I DO love the stuff,history is my favorite, especially since I grew up in Philadelphia.
Ever since I was a kid, I have always loved anything old, vintage, antique or unusual.
So naturally, I got myself a booth in an antique mall, so I would have an excuse to go to estate sales and flea markets!
I keep all the best things, and the rest go into my booth.
In my home, I now have a whole shelf of sterling silver items, lots of Asian curios and furniture, some Native American, etc. My design style is international eclectic!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that was fast! I ordered this from EBay on Friday night! You know what's great about this is the engraving goes all the way around.
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG

SparkleFest

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that was fast! I ordered this from EBay on Friday night! You know what's great about this is the engraving goes all the way around.
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG
Oh that is amazing...........we are sparkle sisters for sure, both with an illusion setting OEC and love of those flowers (oh those flowers). How awesome they go all the way around!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, Steph. Is this antique or a reproduction? The diamonds look like single cuts to me so I want to say antique, but the engraving is so nice and crisp that it makes me think it's a well made reproduction. In any event, I love it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SparkleFest, the flowers are what got me. Usually I have to have an eternity band because a half eternity that spins drives me crazy! We can be sparkle sisters with @foxinsox, she has the most amazing vintage stacking bands :kiss2:

@natasha-cupcake, I think it is authentic and my guess is it probably wasn't worn, it was resized at one point in its life because one flower is just slightly cut off on the end. There is one single cut and the others are OEC I think. If it did turn out to be a repro though it would be totally fine, it is very well made.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn - good work. Very pretty. You and Stracci should give "great finds" lessons!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SparkleFest, the flowers are what got me. Usually I have to have an eternity band because a half eternity that spins drives me crazy! We can be sparkle sisters with @foxinsox, she has the most amazing vintage stacking bands :kiss2:

@natasha-cupcake, I think it is authentic and my guess is it probably wasn't worn, it was resized at one point in its life because one flower is just slightly cut off on the end. There is one single cut and the others are OEC I think. If it did turn out to be a repro though it would be totally fine, it is very well made.
Ooof what an absolute beauty you got there :love: the flowers get me too - love love love them! I think you’re winning on the gorgeous bands front. I thought of you earlier today actually - this crisp lovely came up on Loupetroop and she’s too small (just!!) for me much to my dismay. I’m hoping one of you ladies are able to rescue her.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drat too small for me, maybe @Mamabean will rescue her, she has been looking for bands but no idea what her size is.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drat too small for me, maybe @Mamabean will rescue her, she has been looking for bands but no idea what her size is.
Oooooooooh! I’m looking for a band like yours and I love this one..but I like yours better! I want one similiar to a Van Craeynest without it really being one because I don’t want to spend that much! :P2 I’m a 6.25 but that’s as low as I could go..If it’s thicker I need to size up. I’ve been getting 6.5 because that size is more comfortable.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results