shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
06515538-44DE-4BDA-8904-8F490FBE1F27.jpeg E4A48EEB-F8B2-42A6-9AAC-44CC3F697213.jpeg
Found a couple things couple at goodwill yesterday :appl:
Pretty finds, @shoechick!
The decanter is great! It looks like real cut glass, not pressed.
Goodwill is hit or miss. I'm glad you found some good things there!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@shoechick, I am loving that silver piece you got there. If I found that I would turn it upside down and make a wind chime out of it!

The decanter is nice too. I echo Goodwill being hit or miss, we have Savers here which is better for selection.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics tomorrow :twisted2:

IMG_8056.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics tomorrow :twisted2:

IMG_8056.JPG
Now this looks like the 3 stone from the other thread. Did you get this one, too?
I think I need to follow you, I can never tell where you will turn up on PS!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I know I've been all over the place, I guess part of it is I never know where to go and don't want to double post either.

I did buy the three stone today! I kept thinking about it, kept looking at the pictures on my phone and told my husband if they knocked $100 off I would buy it. Well they came down $89 so that was close enough. I'll share some pics tomorrow on this thread (got shots with my macro lens too). The center diamond tested as a diamond but the sides did not :confused:. They are 2-3mm so the jeweler said they were cz but I'm finding that hard to believe, if not diamonds maybe white sapphire, they don't quite look like single cuts so I am stumped.

So let's see for the $750 the coin guys wanted for the transitional I got two rings and still had $90 leftover :dance:

ETA the band on this ring was throwing me off because it was dirty dirty, the guy was standing almost over me the other day so I was feeling rushed. Today I took a cloth along and a little more time and it looked so much better.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I know I've been all over the place, I guess part of it is I never know where to go and don't want to double post either.

I did buy the three stone today! I kept thinking about it, kept looking at the pictures on my phone and told my husband if they knocked $100 off I would buy it. Well they came down $89 so that was close enough. I'll share some pics tomorrow on this thread (got shots with my macro lens too). The center diamond tested as a diamond but the sides did not :confused:. They are 2-3mm so the jeweler said they were cz but I'm finding that hard to believe, if not diamonds maybe white sapphire, they don't quite look like single cuts so I am stumped.

So let's see for the $750 the coin guys wanted for the transitional I got two rings and still had $90 leftover :dance:

ETA the band on this ring was throwing me off because it was dirty dirty, the guy was standing almost over me the other day so I was feeling rushed. Today I took a cloth along and a little more time and it looked so much better.
I'm glad you got 2 rings for that price! Good show!
As for the side stones not being diamonds, they certainly could be something else. Sapphire and emerald side stones on a lot of Art Deco filigree rings are synthetic, with diamond center stones.
You would have fun with a diamond tester! I have one from Amazon, it was only about 15.00, called Diamond Selector II. Cheap but it works great.
And why do they(the shop guys) rush us? We are spending several hundred dollars. It's not a snap decision.......

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, see I knew about the use of synthetics in Art Deco period pieces but I figured if it was clear they would be diamonds with a diamond center. Learned something new there! I have to get a diamond tester for sure, I keep meaning to and then I forget!

This guy who also helped me the other day was just not into his job at all, it's annoying as you said since we are there looking to buy. The owner of the other pawn shop I bought the 40's ring from told me it's not the sales that keeps his business afloat but the loans people pawn things for. Half of the time they default or don't come back o_O

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is something that came in the mail from Ebay today.
A white star sapphire in unmarked metal that I'm pretty sure is white gold. And diamonds!
The description did not mention what the metal was, and the stones were listed as CZ. I paid 29.99 plus shipping.
I only wanted the stone, and wasn't interested in the setting. But now that the stones tested as diamonds, I'm very happy!
IMG_20180707_142317291.jpg IMG_20180707_145840.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o You got the deal of the year, the diamonds look like single cuts from my view and what a great sapphire! @stracci2000

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o You got the deal of the year, the diamonds look like single cuts from my view and what a great sapphire! @stracci2000
So now in addition to the diamond tester, which came in very handy today, I need a metal testing kit. You know, the bottles of liquid with the scratch stone. I don't know why I've gone this long without one....I think I'll order one soon and find out for myself.
I am 99% sure it's white gold. The color is right and I'm going with my gut here.
A couple of good jewelry days for us!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A white star sapphire in unmarked metal that I'm pretty sure is white gold. And diamonds!
The description did not mention what the metal was, and the stones were listed as CZ. I paid 29.99 plus shipping.
I only wanted the stone, and wasn't interested in the setting. But now that the stones tested as diamonds, I'm very happy!
Wow! What a deal! That's so pretty. I love the swirl setting.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen:
This is a beautiful find!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so today is my little guy's fourth birthday so I wanted to get this post up now since I know how crazy it will be later!

I kept looking at the picture of this one on my phone daily so I went back and got her today (and a killer deal thanks to DH's superior negotiating skills). This was another pawn shop find and I brought it to my jeweler straight away who measured it at about 4.5mm or .33 carats, tested the diamond and it's real but the sidestones aren't, so maybe sapphire or something else. This girl is definitely funky, she's got one gold blob that is pulled out so she looks lopsided, like her one boob is bigger than the other or something. What are the blobs about anyway? There is some cute milgraining there on the sides which is cool. She's the girl that has her own style and can be awkward but it's endearing. Here are some pics, I think she is an OEC, there's that flower in the middle, see how technical I am? Lol!

This is my haul for this week along with my 40's band in SMTB, I also got a huge lot of vintage toys, some new in the card to sell so that was exciting. I know someone out there found some treasure so please share!

IMG_8198.JPG IMG_8176.JPG IMG_8169.JPG IMG_8158.JPG IMG_8170.JPG IMG_8181.JPG IMG_8187.JPG
IMG_8185.JPG IMG_8203.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some pics this morning on the windowsill :kiss2:

IMG_8206.JPG IMG_8211.JPG

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I never made it to the pawn shop with the small OEC rings yesterday. No jewelry, but there's a story to go along (that's for later). But here's my haul from the flea market. I found a few things that I fell in love with--
Here's my new antique biscuit and donut cutters. I paid $1 each.

Antique Biscuit and Donut Cutters.jpg

A Woodbury Pewter tea set for $20.

Woodbury Pewter Tea Set.jpg

And my favorite--an Italian gilded wooden box for $10.

Gilded Wooden Chest 2.jpg
Gilded Wooden Chest.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I never made it to the pawn shop with the small OEC rings yesterday. No jewelry, but there's a story to go along (that's for later). But here's my haul from the flea market. I found a few things that I fell in love with--
Here's my new antique biscuit and donut cutters. I paid $1 each.

Antique Biscuit and Donut Cutters.jpg

A Woodbury Pewter tea set for $20.

Woodbury Pewter Tea Set.jpg

And my favorite--an Italian gilded wooden box for $10.

Gilded Wooden Chest 2.jpg
Gilded Wooden Chest.jpg
I really like the pewter set, very nice! It's probably worth a lot more than $20!:appl:
Now you must make cookies and donuts, and serve them with tea on that cool pewter set!
I have seen those gilded jewel boxes before....I think they are mid century. Great finds!

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cookies and donuts, it is!! I love to cook and I wish I could invite you all over for tea. We'd have a blast!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookies and donuts, it is!! I love to cook and I wish I could invite you all over for tea. We'd have a blast!
Awww, that would be nice! Vintage show and tell!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, you found some lovely things today, that wooden box is great, love the finish and age on it. The cookie cutters and tea set are great for display, if you are into vintage kitchen items there is an indoor flea market in Plainville that has a large selection.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, how did your little one's birthday go?
I bet you are exhausted!

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
What a unique and beautiful ring. Love it!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a unique and beautiful ring. Love it!!
I think I just got lucky! I ordered a metal testing kit from Amazon today, so I will know soon if it is white gold. I'm positive that it isn't sterling, or some type of plating.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, he had a great day I think. We went to the trampoline park and then out to lunch with his cousins. I got him a Crayola ice cream cake that comes with sprinkles and icing so he could decorate his own cake, pretty cool idea.

I had nine orders come in from Friday to Sunday so I was up until 11:15 last night getting them ready to ship out, it was a long day lol!

Did you venture out and find anything this weekend? I was telling my DH about that ring you got off Ebay he was amazed!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanna Crayola cake too! That sounds like fun!
Yay, your shop is doing good! Good to hear. Things are slow at the antique mall.
I did go out on Friday. Yard sales are on both Friday And Saturday around here. I didn't find anything Earth shattering, though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right? I was like hmmm a craft and a cake he can eat for one price, heck yeah! It's funny because the middle of the cake was much more decorated than the rest. One sad thing though was my SIL (husband's sister) and MIL didn't even call to say happy birthday. I am not close to MIL at all but his sister and I are close so I am very dissapointed she couldn't make the effort.

I hope things pick up at the antique mall, maybe people are on vacation spending money other places because up until I ran my Christmas in July sale my store was dead. It is so discouraging but I especially feel for those that rely on that income because when it gets slow for them they probably struggle just to cover the basics you know?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is something that came in the mail from Ebay today
Yay! The metal test kit came in the mail today.
The ring tested as 18k gold! I am thrilled!
Naturally, I tested all my unmarked pieces, as well. So much fun!
But I think I have a jewelry headache now........

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow that is super exciting! So will you leave the ring as is or will you still take the stone out for your own project?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow that is super exciting! So will you leave the ring as is or will you still take the stone out for your own project?
No, I will leave it "as is". I can't possibly undo 18k and diamonds!
I must confess, I spend a ridiculous amount of time searching Ebay for treasures.................

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results