carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@metall,
Check your local newspaper for estate sales. They can include jewelry, and other interesting collectibles. Get there early!
I also hunt down garage sales. Sometimes they are listed in the paper, but I mostly drive around older, established neighborhoods looking for signs.You can never tell what you"ll find.
If you're looking for specific jewelry pieces, eBay is the place. The prices can vary wildly, so keep looking everyday for a price you are willing to pay.
Flea markets are so much fun. They are not usually advertised. You may have to ask around about the flea market in your area.
Also, check out antique malls. Good luck!

ANTIQUE MALLS?!?!?! Wait that's a thing? You hid that soooo far in the bottom of the post i mised it til JUST now....I need to find one of THOSE!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah antique malls are the bomb, they aren't common where we are but when I visited MO they were a definite thing.

Also look at indoor flea markets, that way you can get out and shop even when the weather is less than ideal.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah antique malls are the bomb, they aren't common where we are but when I visited MO they were a definite thing.

Also look at indoor flea markets, that way you can get out and shop even when the weather is less than ideal.

Are you in LI like men I feel like I read somewhere that you might be...might be pinto beans post. It's cool how many people on here are in NY!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In in CT! So not far from NY :D

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, I live in CT, too. Let me know if you ever want to go on an antique jewelry hunt/shopping spree--my husband is getting tired of being dragged around to pawn shops!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, small world and well CT is small so there's that too! Do you mind sharing what county you are in? I'm in Middlesex county which is basically like central Connecticut.

A shopping spree sounds fun! I've been stocking inventory for my store so I don't have any funds right now but would absolutely be down for a shopping endeavor!

Since you are in CT have you been to Elephant's trunk? My husband loves that flea market, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up there Sunday lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few things I acquired this week...
These things are from an estate sale.
An American portrait plate from about 1910. Isnt she luscious?
Also, an early 1920s celluloid matchbox cover with a photo insert. Complete with pristine matches from the 1940's.
And DH's dad stopped by with a sewing machine from 1913. "You guys want this?" Ummm, yeah!
IMG_20180615_162150191.jpg IMG_20180615_162156965.jpg IMG_20180615_162713579.jpg IMG_20180615_162404676.jpg

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
by StephanieLynn » Today at 5:06 PM
@natasha-cupcake, small world and well CT is small so there's that too! Do you mind sharing what county you are in? I'm in Middlesex county which is basically like central Connecticut.

A shopping spree sounds fun! I've been stocking inventory for my store so I don't have any funds right now but would absolutely be down for a shopping endeavor!

Since you are in CT have you been to Elephant's trunk? My husband loves that flea market, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up there Sunday lol!
I'm in New Haven county, just west of Waterbury. And yes, I've been to the Elephant's Trunk. Years ago, it was a great place to get incredible finds at rock bottom prices. These days, you can still get the incredible finds, but the prices are often outrageous! I was there a year ago, after not having been for quite a while and I was shocked to find that they had a variable admission charge which was insanely high if you entered early in the day ($50 or more, if I remember correctly). If you waited until 2:00 PM, admission was only a few dollars, but most vendors were packing up to leave by then. I was disappointed, to say the least.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, OMG I can't believe you posted that sewing machine, my neighbor just offered me the same exact one! I'm exclusively online though and shipping would be outrageous so I passed. Okay that plate is gorgeous!

@natasha-cupcake, you and I are really close! Yes the Elephant's trunk is not what it used to be for deals but we usually pay $1 to get in since we go later in the day. You know where there are some great antique shops is in Farmington/Unionville, we used to go all the time but now with an almost four year old it's not so easy. How about Brimfield and Stormville? I haven't been but I talked to someone recently who said Stormville is where it's at to find good stuff. Of course we were talking about vintage Strawberry Shortcake stuff so it may not be the hot spot for jewelry lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, what a coincidence @StephanieLynn!
The sewing machine is so beautiful, but it has been converted to electric, and the cord is crumbling.
Of course it is nice just as a decorative item.
And I could not pass up that plate for $2.00!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$2?! That is a super deal. Of course the weekend is just starting, I'm sure you will find more treasures :twisted2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, I'm bumming so hard today, my husband literally jinxed me! Okay so quick story, went to my favorite vintage shop with the huge jewelry armoire (and buckets in the back full of costume jewelry) and everything is gone, like the armoire is empty and all the stuff she had two weeks ago in the back is gone!!

Apparently a guy came in and offered her an amount to buy it all and he did :sick: I know this might come off as a bit dramatic but those who love the thrill of the hunt will understand. The jinx was on when we were in the car and DH asked what if you get there and nothing is there? So my haul today is not great but I still managed to find a few things between that store and another one:

Les Bernard Sterling Clown pin from the 40's-50's, his little little head moves back and forth, odd but cute maybe?

Native American beaded doll, love these little guys.

Mickey Mouse Enamel earrings and a Mickey Mouse necklace

Blue and white stone bar pin, costume but fantastic color, I could see this worn vertically from a vintage necklace.

Sterling monkey charms: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

@stracci2000, surely you did better than me today :P2

IMG_7392.JPG IMG_7393.JPG IMG_7395.JPG IMG_7396.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn... I love the bar pin and the clown. I bet they're both 1950s. The pin may even be earlier.
There are lots of Micky Mouse collectors out there, so good luck with those pieces!
Are they from Savers? I know Savers, we have one here. I don't go there much, because they never seem to have anything good at this location near me. It all seems picked over.
Today's photos.....
Sterling drop earrings, probably Mexican, unmarked.
Pearl and onyx(or maybe glass) studs. Mysterious, because they are marked 10k, but have fake pearls...?
The crystal clip on earrings are marked Eisenburg, which is a sought after vintage jewelry maker.
IMG_20180616_170348428.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, yes they are from Savers, that place is hit or miss for me to be honest, the jewelry is often overlooked though. One place that is a total waste here is Goodwill, maybe because they have auctions online, the good stuff never makes it to the shelves.

I love all your finds but the clip on earrings are my favorite, probably because I don't have pierced ears! Lol! They are beautiful though and designer is always a plus.

I did pass up an Engel Brothers Sterling Art Deco bracelet today at the vintage shop, it was marked $65, I'm sure she would have sold it for less but when you get used to paying a few dollars, that amount is a lot!

Are you heading out again tomorrow? DH asked what we should do tomorrow and I think he wanted me to say go to the flea market :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, I would not have bought a $65 bracelet, either.
Once you get used to prices under $5, anything else sounds like highway robbery!
Before I met DH, he never would've gone to a thrift store, yard sale or flea market. Now he loves them!
There is a big flea market near us on both Saturday and Sunday.
I haven't been recently, as I've been relying on yard sales and
thrift stores, but I should consider going again.
Good luck tomorrow!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One place that is a total waste here is Goodwill, maybe because they have auctions online, the good stuff never makes it to the shelves.
Here's a story about Goodwill.

There are about 6 Goodwills in my area. I was in one, and an employee had pushed out a few carts piled with new items, freshly priced and ready to go on the shelves. The customers flocked over, to see what was there. I wanted to see, too!

There was an old jewelry box on top of this one cart. I opened it and it was full of unpriced costume jewelry. But right on top was a delicate art deco bracelet with diamonds and emeralds. It was somewhat modest, not big and flashy, but I knew what I was looking at. I took the box to the cashier, and told her that the box wasn't priced and there was a gold bracelet right on top. I am still kicking myself to this day for not trying to buy it on the spot. Kick, kick, kick......

It looked alot like this one:

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is a story @stracci2000, don't beat yourself up too much, you were being honest and sometimes that's more important than the $.

We all have those regret moments though, I sold a bunch of jewelry at a tag sale years ago and one ring (white gold bow tie with aquamarine) I know now was worth a lot and I sold it for next to nothing. I'm sure we have made up for those missteps over time. I never and I mean NEVER find anything of value at our local Goodwill but if I drive 20 minutes to the more affluent area Goodwill I find some good stuff.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a new day and a trip out to the local indoor flea market turned things around. First is a shot of all the jewelry from today, I also found some vintage wooden Disney puzzles, a peach Blossom Barbie in the box from 1992 and a Rainbow Brite doll.

On to the jewelry, group shot and some closer look pics:

1st pic after group shot: goldtone aurora borealis brooch not signed.

2nd pic: from left to right rhinestone brooch unsigned, vintage horseshoe brooch faux pearls and red stone in flower, possibly Zuni silver turquoise brooch (have to get this looked at), Avon poodle brooch.

3rd pic: Clip On rhinestone earrings signed Weiss.

4rd pic: Sterling Disney Grumpy Charm (still has original silver tag too) silver reindeer charm, enamel Clydesdale pendant/charm

IMG_7398.JPG IMG_7400.JPG IMG_7402.JPG IMG_7404.JPG IMG_7406.JPG

Share if you found treasures today!

Attachments

• IMG_7406.JPG
    IMG_7406.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7406.JPG
    IMG_7406.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 79

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great finds today!
Weiss...YES!!!! And they're clips, so girl you gotta wear them at least once!
And the Zuni pin is lovely!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice finds, @StephanieLynn and @stracci2000. I went to our local weekend flea market and found a few things I liked (didn't have my phone with me, so no pictures). But I was hesitant to spend money, even though nothing was that expensive. I ended up not buying anything, but I'm going back on Saturday to look again. Maybe I'll be more decisive.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice finds, @StephanieLynn and @stracci2000. I went to our local weekend flea market and found a few things I liked (didn't have my phone with me, so no pictures). But I was hesitant to spend money, even though nothing was that expensive. I ended up not buying anything, but I'm going back on Saturday to look again. Maybe I'll be more decisive.
If you're not "feeling it" then don't buy it.
I have made the mistake many times of buying something because the price was right, or it's unusual, or really old. It wasn't special or wonderful, or exactly what I was looking for.
Then you have it. And then what? It goes into a box and you forget about it, because the thrill is gone, and it wasn't a fabulous thing anyway.
What I'm trying to say is, don't buy it unless you are in love with it. Otherwise you are wasting your money.
I hope you have some luck next time---and we want to see photos!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've already gotten great advice here but just wanted to say that a lot of times you may go out and not find anything that makes your heart sing, that's okay, look anyway and try to talk to people and you'll learn a lot.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're not "feeling it" then don't buy it.
I have made the mistake many times of buying something because the price was right, or it's unusual, or really old. It wasn't special or wonderful, or exactly what I was looking for.
Then you have it. And then what? It goes into a box and you forget about it, because the thrill is gone, and it wasn't a fabulous thing anyway.
What I'm trying to say is, don't buy it unless you are in love with it. Otherwise you are wasting your money.
I hope you have some luck next time---and we want to see photos!

You've already gotten great advice here but just wanted to say that a lot of times you may go out and not find anything that makes your heart sing, that's okay, look anyway and try to talk to people and you'll learn a lot.

Great advice, thank you. I can be very indecisive at times, but I think you're both absolutely right. I need to trust my instincts. Maybe the indecision is stemming from a place of not really loving the piece in the first place. My last few purchases (emerald studs and my OEC five stone) were happy ones, because I fell totally in love. The last purchase I regretted was a carved white gold band that I convinced myself was a "good deal"--on sale and with a coupon. I hate it and I missed the return period because the vendor started the 30 day clock on order day, not receipt day! Three weeks waiting for the ring to arrive and I received it the day before Christmas. I learned a good lesson--read the fine print! (And don't buy from brilliance.com--30 day return is splashed all over the website--it's only in the fine print that you get the real return policy.)

Anyway, I'm going out hunting again this weekend!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn.. I found a few interesting things yesterday and today.
The reproduction lamp and ice box are from a yard sale down the street. Miso the cat has claimed them already!
The ice box came with an extra bonus....a large brown widow spider!
IMG_20180623_110835547.jpg
IMG_20180623_121532.jpg

I bought a jar of costume jewelry because I noticed star sapphire earrings in there! Not the best quality, but fun! There was also a sweet sterling claddagh pendant amongst all the costume stuff.
IMG_20180623_103534670.jpg

So I guess now I'm a pipe collector. This piece goes with the other three I found a few weeks ago. It is an antique German ceramic pipe bowl from about 1850-1870.
It would've attached to a long curving stem. It's missing it's little cap.
IMG_20180623_103629413.jpg
At that same sale I got the 2 jewelry boxes. The wooden marquetry music box is Italian. It needs a little rehab to look it's best.
IMG_20180623_111922794.jpg IMG_20180623_112056287.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180623_085401994.jpg
    IMG_20180623_085401994.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your pretty kitty cat and of course I'm dying over that lamp and ice box, what great finds, the ice box looks to be in great condition too. I'm betting you got some good deals, that $1 price sticker is a good indication :D

Isn't it so funny when you keep finding the same thing, you have quite the little pipe collection now! The jewelry and jewelry boxes are always good, if they are for resale there is always someone looking to buy silver.

No buys for me today and tomorrow because I have to get things listed in my store but maybe I'll share some past finds, there is a Kewpie pin I paid $1 for that was super cute and some other things.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your pretty kitty cat and of course I'm dying over that lamp and ice box, what great finds, the ice box looks to be in great condition too. I'm betting you got some good deals, that $1 price sticker is a good indication :D

Isn't it so funny when you keep finding the same thing, you have quite the little pipe collection now! The jewelry and jewelry boxes are always good, if they are for resale there is always someone looking to buy silver.

No buys for me today and tomorrow because I have to get things listed in my store but maybe I'll share some past finds, there is a Kewpie pin I paid $1 for that was super cute and some other things.
Yeah, the lamp was $30, and the ice box was $65. and the other stuff was total about $6.
We will keep the lamp and ice box. I love leaded glass lamps and this will make 5 in my collection.
Me and DH brought the ice box home and discovered the spider as we were taking it out of the back of our SUV. One of us could've easily got bitten.:eek2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh shoot I was so excited about your finds, I forgot about the spider @stracci2000! Yeah that is scary, thank God you didn't get bit, he was probably just happy to be out of there :confused2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all,

Hope you are having a spectacular weekend and finding some great things online or out in the wild!

Since I did not get out this weekend I thought it would be fun to look at some things I found this year before I started this thread. We'll call it Sentimental Sunday, a chance to show off either things you haven't shared before or something you've had that is a special treasure, maybe an heirloom. Also if you would like, share the story that goes along with it since that's part of the fun.

All of these I bought and sold so they went to someone who would really treasure them. Okay enough yap, onto the pictures;

1st pic: King Arthur Medieval Tie Bar, tie bars do not usually sell unless they are extremely unique, this one fit the bill, the picture doesn't do it justice and amazingly it was not signed.

2nd pic: An Engel Brothers Sterling and rhinestone bracelet, heavily oxidized but I sold it just like that, this was found in my favorite vintage shop in that jewelry armoire I talk about all the time.

3rd pic: Swank Shakespeare Cuff Links, these I got in a lot of cuff links from a Goodwill auction. I got the box and started going through them (20 pair) and was like, wait is that Shakespeare?! Yes indeed!

4th pic: A kewpie brooch, this guy was absolutely black when I found it, thrown into a box off in a dark corner and didn't look like anything anyone would buy. A little polish with a cotton cloth and Viola!

5th pic: Sterling Leprechaun charm, this was sold just after St. Patrick's day, cute little guy, he came from the gold and coin place across the river.

6th pic: A Wells Sterling Bluebird in Flight charm, I was tempted to keep him but figured if he didn't sell he was meant to be mine. He ended up going to a buyer whose father passed away and she was making two charm bracelets, one for her and one for her sister and each would have one of these charms. I was glad I found it and could help bring her project to fruition.

IMG_7615.jpg IMG_7617.jpg IMG_7618.jpg IMG_7619.jpg IMG_7620.jpg IMG_7621.jpg IMG_7622.jpg IMG_7623.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all these things, @StephanieLynn!
The Kewpie pin is an especially good find!
Here is a handful of sterling rings from yard sales over the past year.
IMG_20180624_123255796.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results