shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, neat thread! Just seeing it for the first time this evening. Lots of great finds, ladies! My favorite was the shoe pin cushion. So cute.

Here's an estate sale locator you might find useful. https://www.estatesales.net/ You can even sign up for free notifications.

Happy hunting, PSers!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shopping bag not shoooing back :wall:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn , check this out.
I was at my antique mall today, and was browsing other booths. I shouldn't do this because I always see something that I want!
So I see this gorgeous vintage bag. I'm thinking....is this alligator?
It kinda looked like it, but I was puzzled by the swirling pattern in the hide. It was $6.00. I took a chance and bought it.
So I am looking at alligator bags online and I just don't see this patterning in any of them.
IMG_20181229_184635470.jpg
IMG_20181229_184600278.jpg
IMG_20181229_184849115.jpg
Then I found it.
It's..........turtle!
I'm not sure how I feel about it now.:eek2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was at my antique mall today, and was browsing other booths. I shouldn't do this because I always see something that I want!
It kinda looked like it, but I was puzzled by the swirling pattern in the hide. It was $6.00. I took a chance and bought it.
So I am looking at alligator bags online and I just don't see this patterning in any of them.
Then I found it.
It's..........turtle!

:-o I would never guess someone would make a bag from a turtle! Is it just weird to you because it's turtle which is quite uncommon or because you have a turtle and consider that like carrying around a former pet? Idk, it's still a nice bag but it has to be mind clean for you :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o I would never guess someone would make a bag from a turtle! Is it just weird to you because it's turtle which is quite uncommon or because you have a turtle and consider that like carrying around a former pet? Idk, it's still a nice bag but it has to be mind clean for you :D
It bothers me because sea turtles are endangered. Apparently turtle hide was popular for cowboy boots, shoes and ladies purses in the 50s. And of course for the shell.
But this is vintage, before the laws were enacted.(1973)
I have been wanting an alligator purse for a while. I'm always hoping to stumble upon one on my travels. DH has an alligator wallet that is really cool.
Maybe I can get over it, and use it a time or two.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 I am such a dope, I was thinking box turtle or something of that sort, I didn't realize it was from a sea turtle, I can see your point.

You could always sell it and donate the proceeds to a sea turtle conservation fund, just a thought if you can't get past what it is. I totally get it by the way. It is a cool bag but you have to be okay with it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then I found it.
It's..........turtle!
I needed this laugh right now!!! Hysterical! :lol-2:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm horrible, but if it were me, I would use it and enjoy it. I would never buy a new purse made from an endangered species, but this one was made a long time ago, before endangerment was appreciated or on even known by most people. In my mind, it's worse to think the poor turtle died in vain.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I know! When I found a similar one online, and I saw what it was, my mouth dropped open!
I ran to tell DH that the mystery material was turtle! We were both shocked. I was skeptical that it was alligator from the beginning. Some mysterious lizard? I looked at alligator hides online, and there are circular patterns around the legs on the underside of the animal. But still, I never suspected turtle.

@natasha-cupcake, I kinda feel bad. I have seen green sea turtles while snorkeling on Maui, and they are such huge and fabulous animals. So peaceful and shy. Not that this purse was specifically from a green sea turtle. There are other varieties that it could be from.

We horrible humans will sacrifice any animal to make "pretties", it seems.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can only hope he/she were already in the turtle Everafter and they just used the skin. I’m sure no one will know it’s turtle and will probably think it’s alligator. Don’t feel bad..You rescued it from the antique mall..where it would be sitting there unloved.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
.You rescued it from the antique mall..where it would be sitting there unloved.
You have a point there!
But I won't mention it's origin to my girlfriends at our next lunch.......:lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, should I let the seller know this is turtle?
Sheesh! Do your homework before you list something, people!
IMG_20181230_112016.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181230_111429618.jpg
    IMG_20181230_111429618.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 62

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, should I let the seller know this is turtle?
Sheesh! Do your homework before you list something, people!
IMG_20181230_112016.jpg
It doesn’t hurt to contact her to let her know...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Friday Evening Everyone!

I decided this year to drastically cut my jewelry purchases since it got a little crazy last year. So this isn't for me but a present for DH for his 40th birthday. He knows about it since I had to make sure he would wear it, it's a Goodwill online auction find 10KT obviously some nicks and scratches but I think the jeweler can clean it up since it will need to resized.

Here is the funniest part, he was like "well that's cool since it's our initials" so I had to tell him that those are actually his initials LOL! It just so happens my first name and his middle name start with the same letter. I worry about him sometimes :lol-2:

IMG_2625.jpg IMG_2626.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I decided this year to drastically cut my jewelry purchases since it got a little crazy last year. So this isn't for me but a present for DH for his 40th birthday. He knows about it since I had to make sure he would wear it, it's a Goodwill online auction find 10KT obviously some nicks and scratches but I think the jeweler can clean it up since it will need to resized.

Here is the funniest part, he was like "well that's cool since it's our initials" so I had to tell him that those are actually his initials LOL! It just so happens my first name and his middle name start with the same letter. I worry about him sometimes :lol-2:

What a find! I’m sure the jeweler can buff out the scratches!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn , it's a great ring! And what luck, finding the correct initials!
I'm sure your DH will love it. And if he doesn't, you can wear it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, apart from a little ding in the top on one side I think once it is buffed and polished it will look good as new! Sad thing is I think I'm more excited than he is!

@stracci2000, I know what are the chances of finding the exact right initials, I wasn't specifically looking for it so that makes it all the more lucky! Unfortunately DH wears a size 10 so once it is resized it won't fit me :sick:
It will fit me when I get it though so I'll take some pictures for you guys before it gets sent off for the makeover.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, apart from a little ding in the top on one side I think once it is buffed and polished it will look good as new! Sad thing is I think I'm more excited than he is!

@stracci2000, I know what are the chances of finding the exact right initials, I wasn't specifically looking for it so that makes it all the more lucky! Unfortunately DH wears a size 10 so once it is resized it won't fit me :sick:
It will fit me when I get it though so I'll take some pictures for you guys before it gets sent off for the makeover.
It’s amazing what jewelers can do. My husband lost his college ring at our old house before we moved out of state. Two years later we got a call from our old realtor that they found my husband’s college ring. It went through two rough winters outside..The gold was scratched
and his star sapphire was badly abraded. They polished it up..and sent out the ring to someone who polished the sapphire. It looked almost new! Your hubby’s ring should come back great!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like the satin finish.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@caf, I'm not going to have them polish the top just the rest of the ring so the satin finish will still be there :mrgreen2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@caf, I'm not going to have them polish the top just the rest of the ring so the satin finish will still be there :mrgreen2:
If you’re not doing the top I would leave it as is..That finish is what jewelers try to replicate!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re not doing the top I would leave it as is..That finish is what jewelers try to replicate!

@Mamabean, that's a good point, so apart from the resize I'll just ask that they do as little as possible so we don't lose the old.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Saturday Night Vintage Friends!

I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend. Today I went to one of my favorite pawn shops, I call it Cheers Pawn because it's that same feeling, everybody knows your name and you are amongst friends. I literally walked in with my lunch, sat down (she has this amazing antique sofa) and started eating and nobody even batted an eye.

Okay enough gab, today the owner brought out this amazing 14K OEC ring with baguettes on the side, she said the ring is a carat BUT it's severely chipped :sick:. Louped it and yes indeed she has seen some hard times but apart from the chips amazing clarity faces up very white. She says she is asking $800 but I walked out with it for $600. I'm wearing her know (and being super careful!) and you don't notice the chips on the hand so much. Still I'm going to look into having her bezel set to prevent further damage.

I also found this amazing silver mermaid paperweight and she threw in the Mickey Mouse watch.

Anyone else find some treasure this weekend?

IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2702.JPG

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Saturday Night Vintage Friends!

I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend. Today I went to one of my favorite pawn shops, I call it Cheers Pawn because it's that same feeling, everybody knows your name and you are amongst friends. I literally walked in with my lunch, sat down (she has this amazing antique sofa) and started eating and nobody even batted an eye.

Okay enough gab, today the owner brought out this amazing 14K OEC ring with baguettes on the side, she said the ring is a carat BUT it's severely chipped :sick:. Louped it and yes indeed she has seen some hard times but apart from the chips amazing clarity faces up very white. She says she is asking $800 but I walked out with it for $600. I'm wearing her know (and being super careful!) and you don't notice the chips on the hand so much. Still I'm going to look into having her bezel set to prevent further damage.

I also found this amazing silver mermaid paperweight and she threw in the Mickey Mouse watch.

Anyone else find some treasure this weekend?

IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2688.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2702.JPG
Wow! I love the ring, mermaid paperweight and watch!! You’re good!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mamabean! I hope you are having a great weekend. Have you had a chance to see that cushion diamond you got from BN yet?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn ....You done good, sister!
That ring is TDF, and the price was unreal. Bigger really is better!:P2

Love the little mermaid! She looks like the one in Copenhagen.
No, I've never been to Copenhagen, have just seen pictures....

I have nothing to show you today.
My usual thrift store was not too good today, plus, I have a sinus infection, so I didn't feel like hunting all over town.
As for the chip, just dab some clear nail polish on there, and no one will ever know!:lol: Just kidding!!!! LOL ---I think I've had too much Advil today.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mamabean! I hope you are having a great weekend. Have you had a chance to see that cushion diamond you got from BN yet?
Not yet! I’m supposed to get it on the 19th! I had to have it shipped to FedEx because I’ll be away on Friday through the weekend. I’m hoping I can pick it up Friday morning before I Ieave..:pray:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, is the wait totally killing you?! That is an amazing gorgeous stone by the way, can't wait to see it in your hands :dance:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, is the wait totally killing you?! That is an amazing gorgeous stone by the way, can't wait to see it in your hands :dance:
This is too much excitement for me!!! It’s killing me! I hope it’s just as sparkly in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results