shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a great find! I haven't been out looking for treasure since before Christmas. I just got a flyer in the mail for an auction that has a fair amount of jewelry pieces in the listings. I may go for the heck of it, but I'm pretty sure it will be stuff that's way out of my price range.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, I was totally caught off guard when she brought it out because they don't really sell fine jewelry it's more costume and silver. So pretty surprised, going to bring it to a local jeweler on Tuesday to get some quotes on bezel settings. Not a huge fan of bezels but don't really think there is another good option that doesn't risk losing significant weight of the stone.

I've never been to an auction, probably don't have the self-control for that but hey maybe you will find something totally amazing.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn , are the chips really noticeable?
Maybe you can wear it as-is. I do love the baguettes on the sides.
I guess the pawn shop lady knows what you like!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I actually am wearing it despite the chips and the ring technically being too small :shhh: The concern though is that if the ring got banged in just the right way it would cause more damage. So I'm going to do a destash of my jewelry box and have the diamond bezel set then I have a spinel I might put in this setting if it fits.

Can you even believe this happened?! I honestly never thought I would own a one carat again after selling my princess cut because we just don't have it like that but for $600, couldn't pass it up. I always joke to DH if PS had a contest for poorest PS'er I'd probably win lol!

Are you out and about this weekend?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I actually am wearing it despite the chips and the ring technically being too small :shhh: The concern though is that if the ring got banged in just the right way it would cause more damage. So I'm going to do a destash of my jewelry box and have the diamond bezel set then I have a spinel I might put in this setting if it fits.

Can you even believe this happened?! I honestly never thought I would own a one carat again after selling my princess cut because we just don't have it like that but for $600, couldn't pass it up. I always joke to DH if PS had a contest for poorest PS'er I'd probably win lol!

Are you out and about this weekend?
I think bezeling it (or half bezel, to keep it looking large) is the solution.
It is awesome that you found this. I can only DREAM about owning a
1 ct. OEC. I'm hoping to one day find one in the bottom of a trinket dish at a garage sale for $2.00. I have found other goodies, but not a diamond...yet!

You and I may be tied for poorest PSer! I earn a very modest paycheck, but I keep this job because it is easy and stress free. 'Cause I am lazy. LOL-it's true! I only find good stuff cause I look so hard for it!

I did not find anything notable this weekend and no estate sales listed.
You made up for all of us this weekend!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, that is how I felt too, that I would never be able to afford to spend the money for a one carat stone and even if I could probably wouldn't anyways. You just never know I guess that's why some people make the rounds to the pawn shops every weekend and the fact that some people want new jewelry and not the old stuff can work in our favor.

I don't blame you for keeping a job that's a little easier and making a bit less. Last year DH was miserable in his position at his job and there was a point we were afraid he might be out of a job entirely. So he took a new position within the company which is less stress for him but he is making $10,000 less. We got through last year only because of my store but at the moment the store is quiet and I am just now realizing that the bonuses he was getting (and isn't now) were the only thing keeping us ahead. My youngest is set to start school in the fall so I will need to find a job.

You work hard to find those treasures because you've mentioned that you go out every weekend, that is dedication but then it's also doing what you love so that make it a bit easier too :mrgreen2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a setting like this? I'm really not
a fan of bezel settings and I'm not sure what this is called but it's pretty.

IMG_2714.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this?
erstwhile_jewelry_vintage_engagement_ring_1820_a_large.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this?
erstwhile_jewelry_vintage_engagement_ring_1820_a_large.jpg

I like this one, maybe because of the diamonds on the sides. I'm going to collect some pictures to show the jeweler on Tuesday so I'll show him this too.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, so exciting! The possibilities! And if the bezel doesnt completely cover the chip, so what?
After setting, it will only be noticeable with a loupe anyway.
You have a serious treasure there and I'm thrilled for you!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @stracci2000! Once I get my pendant (which is finished and I should have a pic tomorrow) then I will start saving towards a setting, hoping to have her reset by years end. This is my 40th birthday present :kiss2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

Ventured out to Cheers Pawn again today since I overheard a woman saying she was bringing in costume jewelry she had on Tuesday.

So it seems that the find of the day may be the watch, it is stamped B&N 110 14K I'm not sure if it is gold filled or solid gold with these marks :confused:

In the first picture is a stretchy rhinestone bracelet and a really cute Joan Rivers bracelet with multicolored flowers.

Second pic is a rhinestone bracelet and earring set, the earrings are stamped Kramer, no stamp on the bracelet.

Third and fourth pics are a bit of a mystery, they are very Deco and some kind of clip but I'm not sure if they are a scarf clip or what the story is.

Fifth pic is pins, shamrock, enamel circle and floral Kenneth Cole pin

Sixth and Seventh is Austrian crystal necklace and rhinestone double row ?? Looks like it could be seen to fabric for a collar.

Seventh and on is the watch, no maker on face but says Swiss at the bottom, there is a cab on the stem that looks like sapphire, the glass covering the face opens. On links on either end is B&N 110 14K. Look at the details on the link, there is tons of engraving on this piece, pretty amazing!

IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2804.JPG IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2806.JPG IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2813.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of pretties!
Now about that watch. I have no idea, could be plate, but it does say 14k. The band might be a later addition. Does the watch case have a mark?
Steph, I think it's about time for you to get a metal test kit from Amazon, so you can check the metal for yourself.
@Bron357, who is our resident watch expert, might know about the watch and maker!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I know I really do need to get one of those kits, no reason I haven't other than being forgetful! I don't even know what to do with a watch but it was so cool you know?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I know I really do need to get one of those kits, no reason I haven't other than being forgetful! I don't even know what to do with a watch but it was so cool you know?
I know, the old watches are so beautiful.
Sometimes I buy stuff *just because*
My whole house is filled with weird stuff that I couldn't say "no" to!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resident watch expert reporting for duty.
Lovely watch there, is it working?
It’s a 1920s / 1930s watch. The some of the main US watchmakers of this era were Elgin, Benrus and Waltham or the flagship brands ie Rolex, IWC, Omega and Longines with mostly everything else just being marked “Swiss”.
Sometimes jewellery firms like Tiffany bought Swiss watch movements and designed the watch case. That’s when the retailers name might appear on the watch face yet the movement inside just says Swiss,
Watches of this era were either Nickel, RG (rolled gold) or solid 10kt, 14kt and 18kt. The hallmarks if not on the rear outside of the case will be inside the back of the watch case. Warning - do not go randomly opening up watch cases, if you drop or bump the movement you can do damage.
Watch bands likewise can be part of the watch (usually permanently attached) or generic with the ability to add and/or remove. The watchband you have is by BN, I can’t think who that is at the minute but other well known watchband manufacturers of this era included Gemtex, Kreisler and JB Champion.
Your watchband is marked as 1/10 14kt gold. That’s “rolled gold”, it’s an actual layer of 14kt gold over a base metal, normally nickel. By law, the 14kt gold content of the watchband is 1/10 of the watchbands weight. Another assay was 1/20th of xkt gold.
And with the watchband, be gentle if it is spring loaded ie “stretch” these bands if they break aren’t worth the cost of repair (if you can find someone to to it).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 gosh thank you so much for that information! The watch is not working right now although I am so green to watches I have idea how to wind them, so I didn't try because I don't want to mess it up!

I forgot to add this pic before, this is an amazing set I had to pass on but just look at how gorgeous the rhinestones are :kiss2:

IMG_2798.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, gently pull on the winder to see if it will pull out ( like just 1 or 2 mm) and turn the hands- anti clockwise direction.
Secondly - with winder pushed back in, see if the winder will turn, again in a clock wise (away from you) direction. If there is resistance, don’t keep trying.
If it will turn, give it a few turns. Listen for ticking, if no ticking, give a gentle shake, side to side, listen again.
If nothing, a watchmaker needs to check it. Whether or not it can be fixed, or worth the expense, ask for a estimate prior to work happening. Sometimes it just needs oiling and cleaning (cheap) but if the main spring has gone, more expensive and if the movement has seized due to water - not repairable.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357, I did follow your instructions but no ticking :sick: so I guess I'll have to find someone to check it out.

As an aside, I know you are a watch collector and expert but I normally don't touch watches for the simple reason that most of the time they aren't working and I have no idea how to repair or work on them!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few fun things at an estate sale today.
A ceramic Kwan Yin
IMG_20190117_163415863.jpg
A gorgeous inlaid box from Syria
IMG_20190118_142702158.jpg
Waterford crystal ring holder
IMG_20190117_163140072.jpg
Wedgwood pin dish
IMG_20190117_163147444.jpg
Another ormolu jewelry box with glass lid. I have a small collection of these.
IMG_20190117_163312859.jpg
1547848103070-2112398018.jpg
And a gemstone book still in the cellophane!
IMG_20190117_163438011.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, what great finds, I never think of estate sales on a Friday for some reason. How do you find these little jewelry boxes? They are so pretty, never really see them around here :kiss2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, what great finds, I never think of estate sales on a Friday for some reason. How do you find these little jewelry boxes? They are so pretty, never really see them around here :kiss2:
This estate sale was walking distance from my house!
The sale was full of jewelry boxes, china, framed art, Madam Alexander dolls, and lots of other fancy things. I wanted all of it! Most things were overpriced, in my opinion.
I love the little boxes. I think they are so interesting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys,

Not here to share any great finds unfortunately. No instead I am on the hunt for a music box that plays "La Vie En Rose" and you know what? Not easy to find apparently. So far my options are creepy musical doll, beer stein, lighter, cigarette holder, clown music box, basically every ridiculous option apart from musical toilet paper roll, but I bet there's one out there!

Anyways, that's my Friday night. Anyone else on a hunt for something? Feel free to share :wavey:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I found a few fun things at an estate sale today.
A ceramic Kwan Yin
IMG_20190117_163415863.jpg
A gorgeous inlaid box from Syria
IMG_20190118_142702158.jpg
Waterford crystal ring holder
IMG_20190117_163140072.jpg
Wedgwood pin dish
IMG_20190117_163147444.jpg
Another ormolu jewelry box with glass lid. I have a small collection of these.
IMG_20190117_163312859.jpg
1547848103070-2112398018.jpg
And a gemstone book still in the cellophane!
IMG_20190117_163438011.jpg

Pretty crystal ring holder! I have one similar. They are so awesome!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sales have been slow lately, but I do have 2 things for "show 'n' tell" today.
The first is this 10" Wedgwood children's plate. The back stamp dates it to 1907.
The horrible boy has taken the girl's doll and kicked it in the air. What an awful plate to put in front of your child!
IMG_20190201_222342055.jpg
Secondly is a nice white jadeite bangle from an estate sale. I was very happy to find this!
IMG_20190201_223138563.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh nice finds @stracci2000, my four year old would get a kick out of the plate (pun totally intended) he is a freshy fresh. Love that bangle :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results