shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I buy a halo peghead?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I'm SO excited to post an update! I ditched the idea of trying to make my stone fit a standard halo peghead. I am going to have a custom halo made by a reputable local jeweler. His work is outstanding! He is designing a halo with 1.25 point G+ color and VS quality diamonds. We are doing an undergallery vs straight prongs. The wax mold should be done by next Thursday for my approval or any tweeks. Then, casting and setting. Thank you all for the great advice!!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1384301719|3555488 said:
I find that many consumers end up disappointed because they go in expecting a certain look- and the results may not meet expectations.
Unfortunately there are jewelers who will take on a job that may not be their bailiwick.
Even if one has all the right parts ( by no means a certainty when ordering from a catalog)- the actual process of setting is an art. Claw prongs are a great example. There's a definite art to doing it right- and fine claws will never be achieved using cast or die struck parts. ( such as the ones sold in catalogs)
There are setters charging .50cents a stone- and others charging $5.00 or more for the same job.
Sure there are cases where the $5.00 setter is overcharging- but rarely will you find the best guy working for the lowest price.
And many of the best artisans are not the easiest to deal with.

My point is that it's possible to throw good money after bad by trying to do parts of this job that may be best left for professionals- but yes, that does cost more.

I decided to go for a custom halo. The jeweler does amazing work (20+years exp) and owns and operates his own business. I'm paying $9 per stone setting fee, but I felt completely at ease with this jeweler. I felt nervous with the others I had talked to. I'm paying $400 for a custom design (wax mold), $125 for the gold, and $22 per diamond (1.25's, G+, VS), and then the setting fee. So, I'm looking at around $1000-$1100 for a halo that will fit like a glove and be everything I want. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results