shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I buy a halo peghead?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I've searched all around. I can buy one through Stafford, but man, I hate paying retail! I need an 8x6 very simple, delicate oval halo, head only. Any ideas? :wacko:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try browsing adwar and stuller.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1384215069|3554627 said:
Try browsing adwar and stuller.

I found what I'm looking for on adwar, but I have to be a jeweler to purchase, right? They ask for an account number.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have to work with a regular jeweler, they don't sell to the public. Plus the pieces do not come finished. You need someone to finish it and set the stones.

So pick the jeweler you want to work with and have them quote you what you want.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1384215843|3554640 said:
You have to work with a regular jeweler, they don't sell to the public. Plus the pieces do not come finished. You need someone to finish it and set the stones.

So pick the jeweler you want to work with and have them quote you what you want.

Yeah, unfortunately that's where I'm stuck paying really high retail prices. I may look at JA settings again. The whole semi mount is cheaper than the quote I received from Stafford jewelers. Thanks for replying! :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Isn't it tough buying an oval halo pre-made? I would think that it wouldn't fit nicely since ovals have so much size variations.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1384233145|3554880 said:
Isn't it tough buying an oval halo pre-made? I would think that it wouldn't fit nicely since ovals have so much size variations.

It truly is! My diamond is 7.95x5.17, but I'm told by every jeweler that an 8x6 will be "fine." I'm not so sure. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1384258448|3555010 said:

It truly is! My diamond is 7.95x5.17, but I'm told by every jeweler that an 8x6 will be "fine." I'm not so sure. :confused:

The length would be but I dont tho k you'd be happy with the near 1mm difference in width.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1384262285|3555050 said:

The length would be but I dont tho k you'd be happy with the near 1mm difference in width.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but they all say that's the norm. Not all 1 carat rounds are 6.5mm, and they set those in standard halos every day. It would be a difference of .4mm on each side.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cost labor to install and set it is usually a fair amount more than the cost of the part anyway. I'm not a big fan of going with the cheapest craftsman for other reasons but if you're trying to get to the rock bottom price, that's where your savings will happen, not the markup on the head. At the same time, a jeweler who pushes a discount on his/her labor is probably also negotiable to discount the supplies.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1384263163|3555058 said:
Niel|1384262285|3555050 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure either, but they all say that's the norm. Not all 1 carat rounds are 6.5mm, and they set those in standard halos every day. It would be a difference of .4mm on each side.

Well cut rounds are pretty much the same size.

3mm in a size difference is where you eye will notice. Now you've got 4mm on each side.

I had that amount difference in an EC setting and it wasn't even usable.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Double post

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about Stafford but some jewelers have higher overheads as they have to send work to a bench. Try Tradeshop and David Klass as these are bench people themselves, if I'm not wrong. They can buy the parts too. In fact, their custom might be cheaper too.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Since your diamond is from James Allen, at this point I would buy a whole new setting from them. This way, at least the halo will be fit perfectly to your diamond. I understand that your reasoning was that you didn't want to be locked into a halo so you wanted to be able to switch the heads, but I think getting a new setting is actually a better solution. Keep your current solitaire setting in a drawer, get a new halo setting from JA, and you can always switch the diamond back if you need to. There would be labor associated with switching a peg head back and forth (and resetting the diamond into the other peg head), and you run the risk of damaging your setting every time you do that. If you want to keep the solitaire setting for peace of mind, do it, but I think if you want to go halo, you really need a whole new setting for that oval. And pricewise, I think it's going to end up being pretty comparable in the end anyway.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1384269304|3555129 said:
Since your diamond is from James Allen, at this point I would buy a whole new setting from them. This way, at least the halo will be fit perfectly to your diamond. I understand that your reasoning was that you didn't want to be locked into a halo so you wanted to be able to switch the heads, but I think getting a new setting is actually a better solution. Keep your current solitaire setting in a drawer, get a new halo setting from JA, and you can always switch the diamond back if you need to. There would be labor associated with switching a peg head back and forth (and resetting the diamond into the other peg head), and you run the risk of damaging your setting every time you do that. If you want to keep the solitaire setting for peace of mind, do it, but I think if you want to go halo, you really need a whole new setting for that oval. And pricewise, I think it's going to end up being pretty comparable in the end anyway.

I have seriously considered sending it to JA, but I just don't care for their halos. They look bulky to me, and I prefer shared prong to pave. I am going to talk to the jeweler at stafford, and see what he says. I just wonder if .4mm is really that noticeable of a gap. It may not bother me. Thanks for replying!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2k ish halos at James Allen aren't that bulky. No more than ones you'd be looking at. Plus they will fit better. So would look better.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1384272862|3555167 said:
The 2k ish halos at James Allen aren't that bulky. No more than ones you'd be looking at. Plus they will fit better. So would look better.

They all look similar to me. I'm not saying they aren't pretty, just a little too much metal for my taste. I really like the oval halo from adwar. I can get it set with .34ct for $985. My hesitation is the gap. I see gaps in halos on this board and others very often. I just don't know if it would bug me. It may not.

This setting from JA would be closet to fitting my taste. I am seeing gaps between the stone and halo on this setting as well. Maybe that is typical.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-0.39ct-diamond-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17422

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Heidibrooke|1384277466|3555211 said:
Niel|1384272862|3555167 said:

They all look similar to me. I'm not saying they aren't pretty, just a little too much metal for my taste. I really like the oval halo from adwar. I can get it set with .34ct for $985. My hesitation is the gap. I see gaps in halos on this board and others very often. I just don't know if it would bug me. It may not.

This setting from JA would be closet to fitting my taste. I am seeing gaps between the stone and halo on this setting as well. Maybe that is typical.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-0.39ct-diamond-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17422

With a stock halo, the gap typically comes from where the diamond sits on the prongs that come up through the inside of the halo. In addition to that, you'd also have the gap from the halo not fitting.

I am with the others that you should probably have a setting made for this stone. It's not a standard proportion and that makes halos difficult.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Generally speaking:
Peghead construction can never produce a delicate looking setting.
The entire idea is quick change, and adaptability. This allows sellers to use one setting to handle a variety of center stones.
A peghead does not allow "integration"....where the stone is set low into the setting.
So trying to mate those two concepts is not going to be easy ( or possible)
Then when it comes to the labor:
My experience is that the lowest priced labor is never the best at "delicate" looking settings.
Learning where it's possible to economize in labor is an art.
You don't want to pay your best jeweler to do jobs that can be done by less experienced bench people well.
But for delicate work done well- you need an experience ( expensive) hand.....

Maybe it makes more sense to use a more simple setting now, and move up to a more delicate, well integrated setting later....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1384283387|3555298 said:

Agree. The dainty halo look is not cheap.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
soxfan|1384284542|3555319 said:
Rockdiamond|1384283387|3555298 said:

Agree. The dainty halo look is not cheap.

I guess dainty is a subjective term since I think the adwar oval halo is dainty. The jeweler is experienced, it's a family owned business of more than 20 years. I guess I'm either going to rock a gap, or else keep my diamond as is. I don't feel comfortable having spent $1700 on a shared prong eternity setting I love, just to scrap it and start fresh. :(sad

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heidibrooke|1384216144|3554645 said:
Yeah, unfortunately that's where I'm stuck paying really high retail prices. I may look at JA settings again. The whole semi mount is cheaper than the quote I received from Stafford jewelers. Thanks for replying! :)
Can't your jeweler just get what you want from Adwar? They're a pretty cooperative company. What are they quoting you that's striking you as 'really high retail prices'? They surely do have a markup on it but the typical margin on this sort of thing isn't all that high and these sorts of parts aren't generally all that expensive to start with.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1384293226|3555415 said:
Heidibrooke|1384216144|3554645 said:
Can't your jeweler just get what you want from Adwar? They're a pretty cooperative company. What are they quoting you that's striking you as 'really high retail prices'? They surely do have a markup on it but the typical margin on this sort of thing isn't all that high and these sorts of parts aren't generally all that expensive to start with.

I've been quoted $1200-$1500 at Jared, which, yes, I do find exorbitant, honestly. A family owned Stafford has quoted me $985 for a .34 WG peghead from adwar. I'm waiting on a quote from a local jeweler my grandmother always used. I know there is work involved, and I'm happy to pay for quality service, but we all know you're going to pay a lot more for diamonds from a B&M store. I know Stuller sends finished halo heads to the jeweler, and all that's required of the bench jeweler is resetting the major. Thanks for your time and suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback I get here!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be surprised if the gold part (the piece that Adwar sells) is more than $200 of that quote. Another $300-500 or so is the diamonds. The rest is labor.

The best 'deals' in setters are usually the small Mom and Pop shops where the person who is doing the setting work is right there in the store. He/she may even be the owner of the store. Pick your setter and then talk to them about your problem. The Adwar part isn't especially negotiable but they may be able to do better on the stones. Sometimes there are deals on stones that came in as salvage purchases that were part of something else.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1384300876|3555476 said:
I would be surprised if the gold part (the piece that Adwar sells) is more than $200 of that quote. Another $300-500 or so is the diamonds. The rest is labor.

The best 'deals' in setters are usually the small Mom and Pop shops where the person who is doing the setting work is right there in the store. He/she may even be the owner of the store. Pick your setter and then talk to them about your problem. The Adwar part isn't especially negotiable but they may be able to do better on the stones. Sometimes there are deals on stones that came in as salvage purchases that were part of something else.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. You're right the adwar head is approximately $250, just for the gold. I'm waiting on a quote from a local jeweler. They use Stuller, but I guess I could ask if they could order an adwar piece. Thanks again!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I find that many consumers end up disappointed because they go in expecting a certain look- and the results may not meet expectations.
Unfortunately there are jewelers who will take on a job that may not be their bailiwick.
Even if one has all the right parts ( by no means a certainty when ordering from a catalog)- the actual process of setting is an art. Claw prongs are a great example. There's a definite art to doing it right- and fine claws will never be achieved using cast or die struck parts. ( such as the ones sold in catalogs)
There are setters charging .50cents a stone- and others charging $5.00 or more for the same job.
Sure there are cases where the $5.00 setter is overcharging- but rarely will you find the best guy working for the lowest price.
And many of the best artisans are not the easiest to deal with.

My point is that it's possible to throw good money after bad by trying to do parts of this job that may be best left for professionals- but yes, that does cost more.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1384301719|3555488 said:
I find that many consumers end up disappointed because they go in expecting a certain look- and the results may not meet expectations.
Unfortunately there are jewelers who will take on a job that may not be their bailiwick.
Even if one has all the right parts ( by no means a certainty when ordering from a catalog)- the actual process of setting is an art. Claw prongs are a great example. There's a definite art to doing it right- and fine claws will never be achieved using cast or die struck parts. ( such as the ones sold in catalogs)
There are setters charging .50cents a stone- and others charging $5.00 or more for the same job.
Sure there are cases where the $5.00 setter is overcharging- but rarely will you find the best guy working for the lowest price.
And many of the best artisans are not the easiest to deal with.

My point is that it's possible to throw good money after bad by trying to do parts of this job that may be best left for professionals- but yes, that does cost more.

I would definitely rather pay a little extra and get quality work done.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's how I advise consumers on this subject: Find a seller that has rings in stock that feature design elements that look like what you want to see in your ring.
It's generally a red flag if the seller has a totally different style of prong, setting or shank design, and assures you they can do what you want- seeing proof is a very good thing.
In this way, you'll play to the jewelers strengths.

But as discussed- what I've found (painfully) true- is that really nice, delicate looking settings are harder to find, and cost a lot more than peg head type, bulkier settings.....

Whatayagonnnado?

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
If you want a "dainty" halo with quality craftsmanship, I think you're going to have to get a brand new setting. I get that you love the setting you have, but I don't think you're going to be able to have your cake and eat it too in this case.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
UberClaire|1384375284|3555914 said:
If you want a "dainty" halo with quality craftsmanship, I think you're going to have to get a brand new setting. I get that you love the setting you have, but I don't think you're going to be able to have your cake and eat it too in this case.

You're probably right. I may regret it later on, who knows, but this is probably what I will end up choosing. I like that it has profile diamonds vs metal. I wish it was shared prong vs pave. Still, it's the best option I've seen, short of scrapping my setting and starting over. I just can't do that.

_11911.jpg

_11912.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results