shape
carat
color
clarity

When you don't have to choose between Ginger and Mary Ann :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow just wow!
Thanks for answering questions about K MRB vs K OEC.

I guess what you give up slightly in diameter on the OEC you gain in less warmth?

The sparkle factor is definitely there. I think a PSer said an OEC is like a kaleidoscope vs an MRB is like a disco ball?

Another thing I’m curious about is in the GIA certs for OECs, the best I’ve seen are Good for symmetry or polish except for the newly cut ones like DG or VC which are ideal. Do you feel like it’s because they are antique cuts instead of modern cuts? Just trying to understand the ratings but your stones just blow everything away so I’m trying to put it in perspective.

=)2

Thank you @idealw2boys.

It's comparing (for me) two different animals so to speak. I prefer the chunky faceting of an OEC over the splintery faceting of an MRB. It has nothing to do with getting more or less of something. For me, they are very different. Old cuts just glow. And the colors are stunning and out of this world. I think seeing it in real life would help illustrate it better than I can describe it.

As for the GIA certs since old cuts are not cut for optimal optics you are right in that it won't be triple ideal or super ideal like a modern cut stone cut for super ideal optics. There are newly cut "old" (they are not old cut but new cut made to look old cut) cut stones that if one wants super ideal optics one can commission. But I adore genuine old cuts. I love the wonky factor. There's no right or wrong. It's just what appeals to you and makes your heart sing.

On my earrings the GIA polish is very good on one and excellent on the other and the symmetry is good on both. For true old cuts that works for me. All I see is chunkalcious beauty and charm with all my old cuts. Just like with MRBs there are great old cuts and not so great old cuts. Once you get to know old cuts you will be able to recognize the great ones from the not so great ones and we are happy to help you as you take the journey. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pammbw

Rough_Rock
Those are absolutely stunning! Perfect companions to Bubbalah!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am late chiming in, but wow, just wow!! These are perfection, @missy and they look amazing on you!! :love: I am so thrilled that these found their way to you. Please feel free to indulge us with as many chunkalicious pictures as you'd like! Your studs are gorgeous and blingtastic, and girl, you truly rock these rocks!!I I love everything about your post, and I am so happy for you!! :dance:You are a beautiful soul, and I wish you and Greg every happiness in 2021!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am late chiming in, but wow, just wow!! These are perfection, @missy and they look amazing on you!! :love: I am so thrilled that these found their way to you. Please feel free to indulge us with as many chunkalicious pictures as you'd like! Your studs are gorgeous and blingtastic, and girl, you truly rock these rocks!!I I love everything about your post, and I am so happy for you!! :dance:You are a beautiful soul, and I wish you and Greg every happiness in 2021!

Thank you so much @carbonfan. I wish you and your family all the best too! And thank you for your lovely comments. Your collection is an amazing drooloworthy one and your compliments mean a lot to me. I am still waiting (whenever you are ready) to do a comparison thread on your gorgeous collection. The best of old world charm and modern beauty. You have it all. :love:

Those are absolutely stunning! Perfect companions to Bubbalah!

Thank you @pammbw, much appreciated!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so late to comment my dear Missy but unfortunately lately I've been facing some huge challenges regarding my health and I haven't been checking PS that often.
Your new studs are every girl's dream and they look perfect on you. I can't imagine how great it must feel to be the proud owner of those huge sparkly beauties!!! Wear them in good health and may your life always be full of sparkle, beauty and light...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so late to comment my dear Missy but unfortunately lately I've been facing some huge challenges regarding my health and I haven't been checking PS that often.
Your new studs are every girl's dream and they look perfect on you. I can't imagine how great it must feel to be the proud owner of those huge sparkly beauties!!! Wear them in good health and may your life always be full of sparkle, beauty and light...

Thank you sweet @Natylad. I’m so sorry you’re facing health challenges and I’m sending you bucketloads of healing dust and gentle hugs. ❤️

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
@missy
Thanks for the explanation.
Yes I’m beginning to like the chunkalicious factor too.

I’ll keep on my journey in the meantime loving all the OEC pictures!

Since you tagged @LLJsmom , I had to look up her K OEC, what a lovely gorgeous display of light and sparkle!

Enjoy! :cool2::appl:

devils_snare

Rough_Rock
When I saw these on the Grace’s website I was in love ❤️ They are beautiful and I’m so glad a PS’er got them so I can admire them from afar. Congratulations they look amazing on you!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I had to come back for a second look. I really, really, really love your new earrings!

Now I'm second guessing the earring upgrade I have in the works. I'm worried I should have gone larger, which is funny because I was originally worried I was going too large! Pricescope certainly changes one's perspective.

I really like the way that size looks on your ears. Are they comfortable for all day wear? Do you feel them when they are in?

For me I have to balance not being too large for all day, everyday wear (my studs are my around-the-house earrings) with being bling-y enough for evening art gallery openings. Its a difficult line to walk. I want daytime comfort but also nighttime bling. And I can't afford two pairs, at least not anytime soon.

First world problems!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to come back for a second look. I really, really, really love your new earrings!

Now I'm second guessing the earring upgrade I have in the works. I'm worried I should have gone larger, which is funny because I was originally worried I was going too large! Pricescope certainly changes one's perspective.

I really like the way that size looks on your ears. Are they comfortable for all day wear? Do you feel them when they are in?

For me I have to balance not being too large for all day, everyday wear (my studs are my around-the-house earrings) with being bling-y enough for evening art gallery openings. Its a difficult line to walk. I want daytime comfort but also nighttime bling. And I can't afford two pairs, at least not anytime soon.

First world problems!

Yes, I understand exactly what you are going through. At first I definitely thought these would be too large for me size wise and weight wise. My ears are super sensitive and my max gram weight per earring is 2-2.5 grams for all day wear. These earrings are 1.35 grams each and with the backing 1.68 grams. Super light and super comfortable for all day wear.

What I did to decide if they would work size wise was have Greg create similar size cut outs for me to wear to see how it would look.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 4.52.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 4.51.52 AM.png

So after doing that and making sure the gram weight per earring was within my acceptable weight zone I thought I had a good chance they would work. But of course I had a return period to make sure IRL they would work. Because you never know until you get them on your ears.

I don't plan on upgrading these ever. I know this is not what PSers say lol but I don't have any more lobe real estate. This pair is the max mm size wise I would want to wear. I like lobe showing around the entire earring and with any larger an earring that wouldn't be possible. So this is it. And I am good with the color since these are OECs and IMO the color highlights the facets in the most remarkable way. The depth and chunkiness of the faceting is IRL gorgeous. I cannot capture it in my photos. Some of the photos are acceptable but still don't do an accurate job of showing the splendor of these earrings IRL.

All this to explain why I decided I was OK going larger than I initially planned to go. When I saw this pair on Grace's site I knew I was in big trouble. I resisted til I couldn't any longer. :lol:

Earring selfie in car to show you the size close up. Sorry I cannot seem to get a good earring selfie photo. Just to illustrate though it really isn't too big. It's the purrfect size IMO.
Greg did a great job at creating the cutouts mimicking the OECs size wise. I could have saved myself a lot of money if I just wore the cutouts :cheeky:. But somehow they were lacking the depth and facets I crave. :sun:

oecearringselfieincar.png

Have you considered adding halo jackets to your upgrade for a bigger evening look? That way you can have 2 pairs in one. @bling_dream19 has a stunning pair to go from day to night that creates just the right amount of oomph.:kiss2:

Good luck with your earring purchase @RunningwithScissors. Looking forward to seeing your gorgeous upgrade and I have no doubt with your exquisite taste it is going to be stunning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy
Thanks for the explanation.
Yes I’m beginning to like the chunkalicious factor too.

I’ll keep on my journey in the meantime loving all the OEC pictures!

Since you tagged @LLJsmom , I had to look up her K OEC, what a lovely gorgeous display of light and sparkle!

Enjoy! :cool2::appl:

Thank you! Good luck with your journey and I look forward to seeing what you decide.
And yes her K is Kick A** and I was so lucky to be with her when she found her dream OEC. Nothing is like a gorgeous OEC IMO. One must see them IRL to appreciate them but of course it comes down to personal taste and there is no right or wrong. It is just what makes your heart sing. Good luck finding what makes your heart sing. I wish that for everyone.

When I saw these on the Grace’s website I was in love ❤️ They are beautiful and I’m so glad a PS’er got them so I can admire them from afar. Congratulations they look amazing on you!

Thank you!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are stunningly beautiful @missy, and look so beautiful on you. They are just perfect for you and I am so happy that you were able to find earrings you loved!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are stunningly beautiful @missy, and look so beautiful on you. They are just perfect for you and I am so happy that you were able to find earrings you loved!

Thank you @luv2sparkle. I wore them yesterday hiking lol. But where else would I wear them now during the pandemic? I am still getting used to not feeling them which is a bit disconcerting because I miss the swish of the dangle. And knowing they are still in my ears. They are very comfortable and disappear in that I just don't feel them. Still thinking I will reset down the road to dangles but keep the original basket setting and just add a wire. Time will tell and for now I am enjoying them as studs.

Hope no one minds another photo.
A selfie I took yesterday afternoon in the living room by the backyard glass doors.

I cannot get a crisp clear photo of the earrings on my ears but thought this gives a good perspective of the size on me. Not too big and not too small. Just right. I never would have thought I'd be good with (what I thought was) such a large stud but there you have it. Quickly became the perfect size for me.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I understand exactly what you are going through. At first I definitely thought these would be too large for me size wise and weight wise. My ears are super sensitive and my max gram weight per earring is 2-2.5 grams for all day wear. These earrings are 1.35 grams each and with the backing 1.68 grams. Super light and super comfortable for all day wear.

What I did to decide if they would work size wise was have Greg create similar size cut outs for me to wear to see how it would look.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 4.52.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 4.51.52 AM.png

So after doing that and making sure the gram weight per earring was within my acceptable weight zone I thought I had a good chance they would work. But of course I had a return period to make sure IRL they would work. Because you never know until you get them on your ears.

I don't plan on upgrading these ever. I know this is not what PSers say lol but I don't have any more lobe real estate. This pair is the max mm size wise I would want to wear. I like lobe showing around the entire earring and with any larger an earring that wouldn't be possible. So this is it. And I am good with the color since these are OECs and IMO the color highlights the facets in the most remarkable way. The depth and chunkiness of the faceting is IRL gorgeous. I cannot capture it in my photos. Some of the photos are acceptable but still don't do an accurate job of showing the splendor of these earrings IRL.

All this to explain why I decided I was OK going larger than I initially planned to go. When I saw this pair on Grace's site I knew I was in big trouble. I resisted til I couldn't any longer. :lol:

Earring selfie in car to show you the size close up. Sorry I cannot seem to get a good earring selfie photo. Just to illustrate though it really isn't too big. It's the purrfect size IMO.
Greg did a great job at creating the cutouts mimicking the OECs size wise. I could have saved myself a lot of money if I just wore the cutouts :cheeky:. But somehow they were lacking the depth and facets I crave. :sun:

oecearringselfieincar.png

Have you considered adding halo jackets to your upgrade for a bigger evening look? That way you can have 2 pairs in one. @bling_dream19 has a stunning pair to go from day to night that creates just the right amount of oomph.:kiss2:

Good luck with your earring purchase @RunningwithScissors. Looking forward to seeing your gorgeous upgrade and I have no doubt with your exquisite taste it is going to be stunning.

Thanks Missy for describing your process. Love the concept of aluminum foil cutouts! (Only PSers would get this, but we totally get it!!! :razz:)

With my current upgrade in progress, I'm going from a 1 ct each ear (2 ctw) to a 1.8 each ear (3.6 ctw).

I'm wondering now if I should have gone with the 2 cts each ear.

From what I've tried on out in the world (and at home with CZ studs) 2 cts each ear, is my absolute top size.

Also, for me, I need a D or E color. I know that that is outside the PS conventional wisdom, but please respect when I say I do need the high color and I would trade color for size any day. That is no disrespect to anyone, it is just unique to me and my situation.

But high color is very expensive. So, the difference between two 1.8 ct diamonds and two 2 ct ones is about $14K.

While I could stretch and do it, I have a difficult time mentally deciding to spend the price of a car to increase the spread of studs by .3 mm.

But, on the other hand, there is something "mind clean" about hitting the 2 ct mark. And while an onlooker wouldn't be able to see the .3 mm difference in spread on my ears, I can see a bit of a "plumping" affect (kind of like when you plump up your couch pillows before company comes over.)

I already have purchased one of the two new 1.8 ct diamonds needed. I'm waiting and saving for the second one which will probably be a cut to order (already confirmed with two vendors that they can do it.)

So that's where I am. Second guessing myself during this downtime between buying the first and second new stud. :roll:

Anyway, sorry for my long post and thank you again for showing all the great photos and info on how you reached your decision. Ginger and Mary Ann truly look spectacular on you! They are giving me naughty ideas about going for the 2 cts. But that's a good thing, I don't mind stewing on a decision for awhile, even if it is stressful second guessing oneself.

Thank goodness for PS where we can talk about these decisions and not feel like freaks for caring about bling so much! Love you all on here!

Last edited:

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Missy for describing your process. Love the concept of aluminum foil cutouts! (Only PSers would get this, but we totally get it!!! :razz:)

With my current upgrade in progress, I'm going from a 1 ct each ear (2 ctw) to a 1.8 each ear (3.6 ctw).

From what I've tried on out in the world (and at home with CZ studs) 2 cts each ear, is my absolute top size.

Also, for me, I need a D or E color. I know that that is outside the PS conventional wisdom, but please respect when I say I do need the high color and I would trade color for size any day. That is no disrespect to anyone, it is just unique to me and my situation.

But high color is very expensive. So, the difference between two 1.8 ct diamonds and two 2 ct ones is about $14K.

While I could stretch and do it, I have a difficult time mentally deciding to spend the price of a car to increase the spread of studs by .3 mm.

But, on the other hand, there is something "mind clean" about hitting the 2 ct mark. And while an onlooker wouldn't be able to see the .3 mm difference in spread on my ears, I can see a bit of a "plumping" affect (kind of like when you plump up your couch pillows before company comes over.)

I already have purchased one of the two new 1.8 ct diamonds needed. I'm waiting and saving for the second one which will probably be a cut to order (already confirmed with two vendors that they can do it.)

So that's where I am. Second guessing myself during this downtime between buying the first and second new stud. :roll:

Anyway, sorry for my long post and thank you again for showing all the great photos and info on how you reached your decision. Ginger and Mary Ann truly look spectacular on you! They are giving me naughty ideas about going for the 2 cts. But that's a good thing, I don't mind stewing on a decision for awhile, even if it is stressful second guessing oneself.

Thank goodness for PS where we can talk about these decisions and not feel like freaks for caring about bling so much! Love you all on here!

I’m also figuring out my ideal
stud size. And with me being 175cm tall I’ve come to the conclusion my ideal (day to night) size are 8mm ~ 4 ctw.
For very exclusive weddings, formal evening events etc. I plan on getting diamond pears that I can attach to the round studs. Yssies has pearl drops with a chain that can be attached to her diamond studs. You probably have read her stud thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nters-jewels-by-grace-custom-settings.215121/. In this thread she shows those pearl drops. I also plan on pearl drops and maybe some day I’ll also get some emerald pear drops.

To be quit honest your 1.8ct each will look spectacular on their own as well. So classy and with them being colorless they will have even more presence! And with their ideal cut nobody will be able (or want to) to look past them!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you! I totally agree with you. For modern cut I prefer as high in color as I can afford. No question. I can’t wait to see what you end up getting. It’s going to be stunning. ❤️

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I totally agree with you. For modern cut I prefer as high in color as I can afford. No question. I can’t wait to see what you end up getting. It’s going to be stunning. ❤️

Thank you!

I love the romance of your antique cuts. The tiniest hint of warmth suits them as they remind me of glittering, flickering candle light. It adds to their allure.

If I had all the money in the world I'd love to have three complete sets of jewelry: I'd finish my set of MRB's; then I'd have one full suite of OECs just like yours; finally I'd have a set of step cuts, probably Emerald cuts as I love their Deco-liciousness.

Sigh. A girl can dream!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I just love the perspective shots, they just come at you! So much color even from a still photo. Perfection on the lobe.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, how could I have missed that?! ❤️

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of more photos.

But first I want to thank @LLJsmom @MamaBee and @Slick1 for all your generous support and time and help. You girls make choosing bling so much fun. And a big thank you to all the other PSers who helped me in my beautiful piece thread and of course, it goes without saying the NIRDI thread. You girls are the best. I appreciate every single one of you who took the time and energy to comment or just acknowledge you were sharing my journey with me. Thank you!

maryannonmyearkitchen.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.40.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.41.15 AM.png

maryannandgingerfaceupandprofile.png

Missy! OMG I am speechless. They are truly stunning.

I know you are not usually a studs girl, BUT. LET THESE MAKE YOU A STUDS GIRL!!!!!!

There are not enough exclamation points and all caps, truly.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if I chimed in when you got these @missy, but they are beautiful and look perfect on you. Such a nice set with Bubbalah.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How did I miss this thread?

Missy, the OECs are absolutely gorgeous and look wonderful on you. They're perfect for everyday wear.

I, too, thought that 2 carats on each ear would be too big for me, and did the cutout thing myself, albeit paper dots. I haven't shown mine yet, but they're 4.02 ct. OECs set in a white gold lotus flower setting.

Enjoy them!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy! OMG I am speechless. They are truly stunning.

I know you are not usually a studs girl, BUT. LET THESE MAKE YOU A STUDS GIRL!!!!!!

There are not enough exclamation points and all caps, truly.

Thank you so much @Tonks! Your comments made me smile and I appreciate your enthusiasm! And am happy to report I wear these often. Much easier with masks too. Thank you again!

Oh Missy they are just divine! So happy for you, Greg is such a sweetheart too...

Thank you!

I just love the perspective shots, they just come at you! So much color even from a still photo. Perfection on the lobe.

Thank you!

Thanks.

I adore these

Thank you.

Oh my, how could I have missed that?! ❤️

Thanks Roselina.

:wavey: Hi Missy!
Speaking of Bubbala.. did you know there is this book? Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.58.50 PM.jpg

Haha never knew it existed. They spelled Bubbalah differently too. But yes it is a yiddish word. What my grandma used to call me and an affectionate nickname I use for Greg and he for me. Shortened to Booby. :)

Not sure if I chimed in when you got these @missy, but they are beautiful and look perfect on you. Such a nice set with Bubbalah.

Aww thank you @Begonia. So kind of you to say. I enjoy them immensely. More than I thought I would.

How did I miss this thread?

Missy, the OECs are absolutely gorgeous and look wonderful on you. They're perfect for everyday wear.

I, too, thought that 2 carats on each ear would be too big for me, and did the cutout thing myself, albeit paper dots. I haven't shown mine yet, but they're 4.02 ct. OECs set in a white gold lotus flower setting.

Enjoy them!

OMG please share yours when you have the time and energy. I have to agree that 4 plus carats don't feel too large on me haha. Poor Greg. I am dying for an (8 plus carat) emerald cut diamond ring and I don't even wear rings. I did the research and 8 plus carats is the size I need to look good on my man hands. :lol: Anyway yes please show us your gorgeous new earrings! Sound amazing.

Since this thread was bumped up here is my most recent photo of my OEC studs. Driving in the car to our hiking destination. Sun streaming through the windows. If it wasn't so cold out I would have taken my hood off while hiking and taken some snowy photos of her. Maybe another time. She loves the snow. :)

oldcutstudsincarjanuary2022.png

OMG sorry extreme close up of ear blechhh

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I missed this…. Probably because the title didn’t say “bling”

I love the earrings. But the pictures of you were especially cute! Wear in good health

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results