shape
carat
color
clarity

5.4ctw studs!! Erika Winters/Jewels by Grace custom settings

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These two stones, purchased five years apart from different vendors, could be proportions twins :sun:

A)
2.69 GIA J SI2 EX/EX/EX, Fluor None
Upgrade from Whiteflash
From WF's Sarin:
Table 54.4, Crown 34.6, Pavilion 40.9, Star 50, LGF 76

gia_isnologo.png
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2106541738&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

B)
2.71 AGSL J SI1 0/0/0, Fluor Neg.
TrueHearts from James Allen
From the AGS DQD:
Table 54.5, Crown 34.6, Pavilion 40.9, Star 45, LGF 77

agsl_is_0.jpg
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104077709002-PDQDFK.PDF

Earrings... have always been my sweet spot when it comes to jewellery. Of the pieces most likely to haunt my dreams and walk off with my wallet... the vast majority are earrings!! After a happy few months admiring beautiful, sizable studs from M2B, Phoenix, ClassyRocks, derbygal, DS, Megeve, and oh so many other PSers who've contributed to the "Show Me Your Diamond Studs" thread I half-heartedly started scouring various vendors' inventories for a mate for my E-ring stone, fully prepared to wait several months...

...And, of course, the perfect match materialised at JA within a couple of weeks, well before I was ready to commit to or pay for anything! And so the scramble began. I'd originally planned to have David at Diamonds by Lauren source a second stone and have his hand-forging bench adapt their "Uber Flower" setting, which I completely adore and which I thought would complement the modern RBs nicely, but I'd sold my OEC studs several weeks earlier (to another wonderful PSer!) and missed them... and decided to go with a possibly-anachronistic 'estate-y' aesthetic anyway. I've loved Erika's "Grace" setting since I first saw photos of it, so the obvious next step was to reach out to Grace with my inspirations ::) And after a few sanity-check emails to other PSers and some unexpected luck I snagged the stone and off to the West Coast it went :))

Both Grace and Erika are wonderful to work with!! Erika is a marvellously talented designer with an exceptional bench, and communication with both vendors was consistently remarkably quick and extremely thorough. Lists of questions were answered one by one with extra commentary, requests for assistance with logistics, design adjustments, and additional photos were indulged without hesitation, and I believe at one point I referred to Erika as a "nitpicker's wet dream" :bigsmile: she's a persnickety perfectionist and I, contrary to my usual disposition, was completely at ease leaving this project in her hands: I trusted her to address the details and ask me about those I'd want input on. Of course, loving the first iteration of the design she came up with was a good sign :bigsmile:

I think I've actually never exchanged fewer emails with a vendor :halo: Erika's work is definitely pricey, IMO, but it brings a commensurate experience. I felt she was "looking out for" my project and was invested in ensuring nothing slipped through the cracks. The workmanship on my earrings is exquisite :love: - I wholeheartedly recommend both Erika and JbG and will happily go back with other projects!!

Re. the stones themselves - owning a pair so closely matched on paper is very interesting. I find that I always know which is which in-person, without a loupe, no matter what lighting environment I'm in. In sunlight I expect to see slightly bigger, slower flashes of colour from the WF. In diffuse lighting I expect the JA to "turn on/off" with slightly less tilt. Unsurprisingly, they look most similar in spotlights :sun: To my eyes the AGSL J has slightly more body colour than the GIA J, but that difference is only visible in profile (and even then isn't noticeable unless one is specifically looking for it and the lighting is favourable). I honestly can't say that one is objectively prettier than the other but they definitely are *different*, and to me it's just testament to the refrain of needing to see a stone with one's own eyes to fall in love with it because the tools we commonly use on RT to simplify selection just aren't sensitive enough to capture and convey the nuances... And, well, beautiful as they both are I do have a favourite - I still like my old stone better. Maybe it's a long-term relationship thing :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 5.4ctw studs!! Erika Winters/Jewels by Grace custom sett

If I had to pick one word to describe Erika's bench it would be CAREFUL.

I told Erika I wanted nine curvy prongs, three "basket attachment areas", and a flat basket where the head meets the post. She brought up concerns like prong length and alignment relative to inclusions, textures and finish types, and basket size (large enough to prevent drooping but small enough not to be visible at slight tilt face-up), and to my eyes the translation of CAD to finished product is excellent: I see none of the usual issues like visible unpolished element-meets and interiors, straightened curves, and variances in shape and thickness from polishing.

My first pic:

inspiration_4.jpg

One thing that differentiates her work (and Single Stone's, I always think) from true antiques - and one reason I often prefer these sorts of reproduction styles - is the precision with which that old-world look and feel is executed. My earring baskets were cast and the posts handforged, all in platinum.
The stones are set as low as possible in the baskets...
The textured finish that was apparently applied atop a high-polish starts and ends in exactly the same places around both earrings, including the still-polished "creases", with no finish "bleed" whatsoever...
The settings are polished so that however you turn them, from whatever direction you inspect, you see no unfinished areas...
The prongs all cradle the stone tightly in precisely-cut prong-seats without gaps or rough edges...
The milgrain is incredibly delicate and evenly applied...
There's no metal other than dainty prong-tips visible face-up...

My only complaint is the backings. When WF set my old OECs they included gigantic, hefty backings that grabbed the posts and held on for dear life. I asked Erika for "jumbo" backs but didn't realise there were so many types to choose from! These are much prettier, but the pads are smaller and they slide off far too easily. I emailed for help a few days ago and in typical Erika Winters fashion got a response a couple of hours later with "we'll figure it out" - and she's sending another heavier pair to try. Hopefully they'll get the job done!!

A couple of Erika's pics (LOVE her photography) :love:

ew_nologo_1.png

- - - - - - -

ew_nologo_2.png

*Edited to remove logos in photos

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1_img_3795.png

- - - - - - -

2_img_3820.png

- - - - - - -

3_img_1106.png

- - - - - - -

4_img_2180.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

5_img_1028.png

- - - - - - -

8_img_2145.png

- - - - - - -

6_img_1292.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9_img_4006.png

- - - - - - -

10_img_4023.png

- - - - - - -

7_img_5358.png

- - - - - - -

With my 0.1ctw Tiffany baby bezels ::)

11_img_2084.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

On the ears...

12a.png

- - - - - - -

12b.png

- - - - - - -

12c.png

Last edited by a moderator:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

helloooo my lovelies!

these are a dreamy. every detail.

they look amazing on you, they are sublime.

congratulations, wow, enjoy.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG...I've just died and gone to stud heaven! :angel: What a perfect match (can you tell us which is which for us novice PS'ers)! They look glorious on your earlobes, too! :love: :sun: This is the end all of DSS for earrings, IMO! Totally and completely envious now!!! :cheeky:

I have always loved your previous 3 and 5 stone ER rings--will you eventually miss having a blingy ER?!

I must add that I LOVE your photography shots...classic Yssie style! :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amazing! Incredible patience on your part too! The settings are magnificent. I've been drooling over them for a few days when they hit EW's IG! Stunning! :love: :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are just beautiful - from the stones to the settings. Your taste is, as always, exquisite!

I must say I am surprised by this turn in stones but if you're happier this way, then I am very happy for you!

Enjoy your gorgeous new earrings Yssie!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

They're SO gorgeous! I didn't realize they were yours-I saw them on her FB and fawned over them. I'm hoping to work w/her soon on a reset project. Enjoy your new pretties!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, Yssie!!! They are spectacular!!! :love: :love: :love: I was honestly a little worried about my encouragement on the initial decision about using the 2.7 ct stone, but as it turns out, I think they are a gorgeous size! :appl: :appl: :appl: The settings are just exquisite! I love them!

Now we need LOTS more pics, especially ear shots! :bigsmile:

(Now I have stud DSS, though! ;( )

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks apache!

Erika did an amazing job - the details really *make* them ::)

m2b You have NO idea how many hours I spent looking at your studs!!! I have no idea how many hours I spent looking at your studs - and honestly, I'm probably better off not knowing :bigsmile: Really, you have the collection I dream about!!

The Ering is actually the one on the left in all the pics - I don't know why it was important to me to put it on the left... that's precisely the sort of neurosis only other PSers ever understand :halo:

I've worn my WF eternity pretty much every day since I got it three years ago but oh my goodness yes, I did spend a LOT of time wondering if I wouldn't miss having a "centerstone" type of E-ring waiting in the jewellery box, even if it rarely came out to play! At this point I'm just delighted to actually be wearing all my pieces regularly - and if one day I want another larger centerstone, well, I figure I can deal with it then ::) In the meantime... these earrings are treasures I never imagined I'd be lucky enough to own :love:

Photos - right back at you!!! I love that I can look at certain people's photos and always know whose they are - yours, ForteKitty's, ame's, Kenny's, various vendors'... I want a new camera but I'm scared to switch - what if they don't look the same!? There's a hashtag for that, I'm sure :bigsmile:

Mary Thank you!! Erika finished them a couple of weeks ago - I took entirely too long taking pics, I'm afraid. I love her photography, it suits her designs so well :sun:

When I opened the box my first thought was "holy sh*t they're HUGE", and my second was something along the lines of "shouldn't someone be stopping me from walking away with these?" :bigsmile:

Thank you MGR!

It wasn't something I'd ever before considered doing either, honestly. I loved my E-ring in all its incarnations, but the resets culminated in an irreplaceable work of art that I was absolutely terrified to wear, despite insurance, for fear of damaging it, and... having it spend most of its time in a box felt terrible :(sad I'm very glad I took this plunge - I'm really enjoying actually wearing my pieces! My WF eternity continues to be my daily E-ring go-to, and in a couple of months Erika will set a coloured stone into the E-ring setting and I'll have my first special occasion ring ::)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!, WOW!, WOW!... :o :-o They are beautiful! :love: congrats Yssie... :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

This are the end all be all studs. Amazing! Your setting is absolutely impeccable as always. I'm so glad you used Erika. Her designs seems to be such a great fit for your aesthetic. Yay yay yay for you!!!

ETA: I forgot to mention that they are truly the perfect size for your ears. I love when an earring shows just a little tantalizing sliver of skin below the stud. Perfection.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

THUD... ok I'm back. How can earrings be so impossibly beautiful?!?! Such a SMART decision. Getting to know yourself well enough to know exactly from what you would derive the most joy, amazingly beautiful, blingy, classic exquisite studs. Talking about getting the most wear out of your diamonds. And that setting?!? OMG. PERFECT. Congratulations Yssie!! These studs are perfection. And SO you.

And...this gives you a great excuse to start shopping for an ering replacement. ;-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Packy Reset, huh? :Up_to_something: I look at Erika's work and see a lot of similarities w/ SS - I think you'll be very happy with the workmanship!

And thank you - so far so good!! ::)

DS You and m2b were my primary enablers on this one... So - thank you!! :bigsmile: They really did turn out beautifully - absolutely everything I could have wanted :love: And I, obviously, have ears with plentiful real-estate, as the 2.7s don't seem luridly large at all!

I was on the fence about the settings. Not about the settings themselves - they're gorgeous - but about spending as much as I did on an extravagance that absolutely no-one would ever appreciate IRL! I do love 'em, though, and goodness knows I'll never be able to afford to upgrade 'em even if I wanted to, so... I can't bring myself to question going for it ::)

You, dear DS, have no need for stud DSS - having seen your new beauties in-person I can attest to the fact that they look *huge* in your ears!! And Js would drive you bananas :bigsmile: I was actually very interested to find that the AGSL J does in fact show more body colour than the GIA J - I remember we were talking about this at one point. They're both "yellow" Js - I wonder if the tint in an AGSL "brown" J would have been comparable?

I'll try to get some decent action photos - after hairspray this time :rodent:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

I would recommend getting little sun shades for the earrings whenever you decide to take a stroll with those studs because the sun glare coming off those babies are going to cause car accidents!! Blinded by the blingy light!!! :naughty: :naughty: :lol: :lol:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Love the settings and the size of them babies! Congrats! :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you DF! :bigsmile:

Rose - Thank you!! I am too - she does such beautiful work - the workmanship is impeccable, and I love her designs, and she's SO communicative and responsive, and oh my goodness you know me - when have I ever not felt the need to micromanage!?

I'm glad we went with the "Grace" style instead of a more period-specific design - the stones are big enough that there's no way to look past their modern-round-brilliant-ness, and I think these settings are able to work with that instead of trying to mute it to play up something else... and I love the nine prongs instead of eight or ten - it doesn't stand out, I don't think, but its a little bit of quirk that makes me oh so happy ::)

Sliver of skin is... a deliciously sensual way of putting it ::) IRL I'm actually finding that it's hard to pin down how "big" they look on the ears because they're so deep - they protrude off the ears, enough that how much of them you see really does vary with angle! I'll have to ask for help taking more photos...

Thank you LLJ! I feel like I've gotten to "know" you (hah, or at least your jewellery style!) recently, and you mine, so I'm super happy to hear you say that you think they suit me well!! :bigsmile:

The RDG is... heartbreakingly beautiful, and I really am terrified to wear it: it would break my heart to damage it :(sad So I wound up doing exactly what you did, finding my stone a mate and making earrings, and like you I'm SO glad I did! I definitely think I made the right choice - I'm so happy to be wearing my stones regularly again!

I sorta want to get second piercings so I can wear my baby bezels as well... overkill!?

And one can always get other diamonds later, if one wants, right? :rodent: Actually, I think I'm done with diamonds for a bit... the VCA bug bites hard, OMG!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are very sweet, Yssie, but I have come to appreciate large studs after seeing beauties like m2b's in person and others such as your new beauties online! I am very thankful to have the ones I have now, though! My upgrading has been very slowwwwww! lol!

I totally get the appreciation of a fine piece of jewelry that perhaps others will not see or notice. I have been agonizing over resetting my AVR for the longest time wanting to do justice to the stone and the period the design originated while still making a ring that is simple, elegant, and antique style all in one! The design I chose can have 6 or 8 prongs, and it delights me to see how pretty your studs are with 9! All that was to say, I am certain no one in my local real life will even notice the reset, so we all do these things for our own pleasure only! You'll never regret the beautiful settings, and as you said, you certainly won't need to upgrade the diamonds! I think the design of your studs is just a perfect blend of modern with a little touch of antique style!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Amazing story and even more amazing earrings!!! They look fabulous on you and I think the detail in the setting makes them truly outstanding! Enjoy!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Pinto! I now drive with my visor mirror closed so I don't get distracted... Safer for everyone on the road. :bigsmile:

UrsTx, thank you!! Erika did a fabulous job on the settings ::) and the stones are little firecrackers - I have to say, I'm very glad I got one of them when prices were a good bit lower!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just read the comment about baby bezels...I am going to say no, don't wear the baby bezels with the new studs. These are definitely standalone earrings! :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, I looked at your earrings again. The swoop of the basket, the perfect smoothness of the finish, the perfect arrows captured by your unbelievable photography skills give me chills. No joke. Those earrings have such a feel of throwaway, movie star-fabulousness on you. You know how sometimes you see women who wear such heart-stopping jewels with casualness and ease. And then I think, I want to look like that when I grow up... Lol!! That's the feeling I get when I see those studs on you. I hope you wear them everyday with a song in your heart and a spring in your step! :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your studs are amazingly stunning!!! Both the stones as well as the detailing of the studs. And they look so fabulous in your ears. Great attention to detail. Wow :love: :love: :love:

Thank you for sharing your story. Nice and interesting read. I agree that your studs shine as stonealone pieces and do not need anything else. Enjoy wearing these beauties.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!!! :love: :-o :love: :-o :love: They are fabulous yssie, such gorgeous diamonds and beautifully done settings, they look amazing on you! LOVE them! :clap: :dance:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

laurenk - thank you!! I love the detailing, too, even more so in-person with changing highlights and shadows to showcase it... :love:

DS I've been following your AVR setting story... I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Whatever that winds up being, it will have been very, very carefully considered! And suffice to say that your PS friends will appreciate every loving detail ::)

I suppose it's mostly a question of coming to terms with "mind clean", whatever form one's personal definition of that term takes. For some it's make of the stone, for some it's style and stone matching, for some it's method of manufacture, for some it's branding... things that aren't necessarily visible but that are nonetheless greatly appreciated! You've mentioned you feel the Van Craeynest setting you love just won't work with a stone as large as yours - that would be an extraordinary pity because VC checks so many of those boxes! Style, design, make, period... Why six or eight prongs specifically? Are you absolutely opposed to four?

No-one in my "real life" has noticed the new earrings, or the lack of E-ring, and I, like you, am confident no-one will! I don't live in a place where 5ctw studs are the norm - so far from it, in fact, that no-one gives them a second thought because the automatic assumption is that they're costume pieces. Which works just fine for me ::) And I agree re. second piercings: I'd been contemplating it for a few months but I think it would be simply too much!

I was saying to LLJ earlier... I think I'm done with diamonds for a while. Part of the rationale for splurging a bit on these settings was knowing that for a while, anyway, my "fun" money will be going elsewhere, so this is most likely my last custom project for a couple of years - best enjoy it :))

LLJ Wow. Talk about a feel-good pick-me-up!! :bigsmile: Another poster Valmanin mentioned "carefully chosen, carelessly worn" as her style motto in another thread and I thought it was perfect - that's what I want to achieve! Sometimes... I think I manage it. And other times it's exactly the opposite, but it's rarely in-between, LOL!

The "swoopiness" was exactly what I loved about Erika's designs originally - they all have it, in some form. The changes from concave swoops to convex swoops, the changing finish textures... it's all so detailed!

Thank you for the very sweet comments about the photos, too! The sun came out today and stuck around, and I was very happy with the way this batch came out - usually I have to try a couple of times ::) I was reading an old photo blog Q&A wherein the photographer talks about how difficult it was to go out on shoots and have fifteen minutes total to set up, photograph, and tear down to move on to the next subject... yeah, I don't think I could get anything done at all in fifteen minutes!!

One thing I can say for sure - I will most definitely take your advice on greatly enjoying wearing them ::)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!! :love:

I love how gracefully the prongs envelope the diamond and the claws just hug it so delicately yet snugly. Lyrical comes to mind as a way to describe these studs. They are so beautiful and they look smashing on you. I think it's great to spend on something you love and that you know you'll get a lot of wear out of. Personally I'd rather spend a lot on something I'm going to wear all the time vs a special occasion piece. :))

Love your photography too. Enjoy those and wear the heck out of them!! :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

:love: :love: :love: That's stunning! I love them! The setting is gorgeous. I love everything about your studs :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results