shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose setting for beautiful diamond studs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like we are too late, but I notice your ring is 4 prong so I am kind of thinking that would have been the best option for your studs. But as yssie said, the larger base is very important and can certainly be done when you are making custom settings anyway. I've never needed jumbo since my studs aren't huge, so I prefer the medium size backs.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Do you think the base is large enough on the 3 prong cad or should I ask for larger? Thank you @yssie I agree custom needs to be perfect but the problem Imis I don't really know what I will like! Ahhh lol. I don't like much metal and I think that's why DKJ is encouraging me for 3 prongs. I currently have 4 prong studs and they are very pretty. Here they are.

My new ones will be a little bigger and I was thinking of something different. I love the 6 prongs but I'm scared of all that metal. The 3 prongs are beautiful, I'm scared I will have even issues lol but maybe I will be happy because less metal. I fell in love with @RunningwithScissors beautiful 3 prong studs. Do you by chance have any profile shots? I'd love to see the basket.
I hear you @diamondseeker2006 about matching my 4 prong ering. That might change over the years lol. I think I'll end up in a 6 prong ering one day.
So, do you all think the base is big enough on the 3 prong or do I need to go bigger? I have no clue how to read cads and how it translates on my ear. Thank you for your help everyone I really appreciate it. Many hugs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything in the CAD looks bigger/bulkier than the final product. The CAD represents exactly what will be cast, and some of this metal will be lost during finish and polish - the cast needs "extra" metal so that this loss doesn't create structural concerns.

I would go with a much larger-diameter base than your current CAD has, personally. @diamondseeker2006 posted her CADs on Page1 of this thread - that's my ideal as well.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am a Martini setting fan. My 2.40 studs are flush with my ear. I use pushback and i use a .005 cent plastic rubber stopper to keep them extra safe 11 years and never had issue with them coming out. 419697

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
image.jpg Little plastic safety piece

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 55

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Do you think the base is large enough on the 3 prong cad or should I ask for larger? Thank you @yssie I agree custom needs to be perfect but the problem Imis I don't really know what I will like! Ahhh lol. I don't like much metal and I think that's why DKJ is encouraging me for 3 prongs. I currently have 4 prong studs and they are very pretty. Here they are.

20200502_174054.jpg
My new ones will be a little bigger and I was thinking of something different. I love the 6 prongs but I'm scared of all that metal. The 3 prongs are beautiful, I'm scared I will have even issues lol but maybe I will be happy because less metal. I fell in love with @RunningwithScissors beautiful 3 prong studs. Do you by chance have any profile shots? I'd love to see the basket.
I hear you @diamondseeker2006 about matching my 4 prong ering. That might change over the years lol. I think I'll end up in a 6 prong ering one day.
So, do you all think the base is big enough on the 3 prong or do I need to go bigger? I have no clue how to read cads and how it translates on my ear. Thank you for your help everyone I really appreciate it. Many hugs!

Yes, I'm looking for the pics now and will post soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three prongs to four is adding just a minute bit of extra metal, and to me it gives greater safety than 3. I do think 6 is a little much for stones under a carat plus it makes it harder to clean the stones. But if you like the look of three, that is certainly fine. It's mainly that when the base is tiny, the diamond is more likely to tilt downward. It's just gravity. When you have a larger base and the back is on securely, the stud really can't tilt down as it is sitting flat against the earlobe.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @diamondseeker2006 I appreciate all of your thoughts. I hear you on the 3 to 4 prongs and the larger base. I just got a response back from DKJ and he said he's picking up the 18kt WG castings tomorrow. He said if I want a larger donut or if i want 4 prongs, it can be done. I don't quite understand all of that but it's good to hear there's some flexibility. I can't wait to see the castings tomorrow!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of one of my studs seen from the side. I really like my three prong. I find that a 3 prong martini style sits down in my ear hole more than a basket bottom. I actually find the larger based studs droop more because they sit on top of your earlobe (making the diamond stick out farther). The settings with no bases nestle more into the earlobe instead of sitting on top of it, therefore gravity doesn't pull them down. I've worn my studs everyday since February (but I don't sleep or shower in them) and they haven't affected my piercing holes at all. But everyone is different.

Also, I find the larger the backs, the more they work as a counter weight to the diamond and keep it from tilting down. I love the comfort modified version of the La Pousette backs that I have, they are so easy to put on and lock into place.

If you are worried, perhaps you should try some on in a few brick & mortar stores (if it is safe to do so where you live) to see what fits on your particular ear, since all our ears are slightly different shapes and therefore the way the earring fits on us all is different.

Honestly, I think which ever ones you select will work. .6 ct diamonds aren't very heavy so I don't think you'll have much or any droop no matter what settings you select. Its more a matter of what style/design you like.

My Stud Earrings.jpg

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a pic of one of my studs seen from the side. I really like my three prong. I find that a 3 prong martini style sits down in my ear hole more than a basket bottom. I actually find the larger based studs droop more because they sit on top of your earlobe (making the diamond stick out farther). The settings with no bases nestle more into the earlobe instead of sitting on top of it, therefore gravity doesn't pull them down. I've worn my studs everyday since February (but I don't sleep or shower in them) and they haven't affected my piercing holes at all. But everyone is different.

Also, I find the larger the backs, the more they work as a counter weight to the diamond and keep it from tilting down. I love the comfort modified version of the La Pousette backs that I have, they are so easy to put on and lock into place.

If you are worried, perhaps you should try some on in a few brick & mortar stores (if it is safe to do so where you live) to see what fits on your particular ear, since all our ears are slightly different shapes and therefore the way the earring fits on us all is different.

Honestly, I think which ever ones you select will work. .6 ct diamonds aren't very heavy so I don't think you'll have much or any droop no matter what settings you select. Its more a matter of what style/design you like.

My Stud Earrings.jpg

I am not sure if you have had this style before or for how long, but some people don't like them because they do sink into the piercing and potentially stretch the hole over time. That's why we generally discourage it. That certainly may not happen to you, but some people don't want to take the chance. The D diamond is dreamy, though!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if you have had this style before or for how long, but some people don't like them because they do sink into the piercing and potentially stretch the hole over time. That's why we generally discourage it. That certainly may not happen to you, but some people don't want to take the chance. The D diamond is dreamy, though!

I posted a photo of my earring because the OP asked me to do so.

A variety of experiences need to be heard on this forum. I'm not telling the OP to run out and buy these exact settings, I'm simply stating that I have had no ill effects with mine after having worn them every day for six months. On the contrary, I have found them comfortable and easy to wear with no drooping. As I stated in my post, everyone is different and the OP should try different types and see what works for her.

Had I jumped on the Pricescoop group consensus bandwagon, I would have ended up with much warmer diamonds that I would have been very unhappy with. Not everyone is the same. That is why a variety of experiences need to be heard so each individual reading them can decide what is right for them and not be "shamed" into fitting the group consensus.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My post above is said with love and respect for all. I know it is sometimes difficult to tell the tone in an online discussion (without seeing people's body language, etc.) So I want to reassure that I value Diamondseeker's knowledge, advice and style and that my post is meant with love and respect for differing experiences. This is a great group of jewelry/diamond fans and I'm proud to be part of it. I love and value every one of you! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My post above is said with love and respect for all. I know it is sometimes difficult to tell the tone in an online discussion (without seeing people's body language, etc.) So I want to reassure that I value Diamondseeker's knowledge, advice and style and that my post is meant with love and respect for differing experiences. This is a great group of jewelry/diamond fans and I'm proud to be part of it. I love and value every one of you! :love:

Thank you, I appreciate the clarification, because I did not mean to upset or insult you! =)2 Since you have only been here a year and a few months, I honestly thought that you might not have read threads regarding people who had had problems with martini settings stretching their holes. It was not in any way meant to downplay your own experience which is certainly very important to the OP, and I do apologize if what I said sounded that way. People around here change settings often (which is costly), and I think many times it is because there was some aspect that was unexpected due to doing an online order. My own diamond is not reset because I am one who really prefers trying on rings before buying. I 100% agree that the more information people have, positive and negative, the better off they are when they make a decision. I especially agree with you that color is very personal and the recommendations for that will have to do with the person's budget and order of priority of size, color, clarity, and cut (and brand, in the case of those who want Tiffany, etc.). It's all about balancing priorities within the budget (although I won't recommend poorly cut stones ever).

I certainly hope bling_dream19 ends up with settings that she loves!

Kya

Shiny_Rock
I like regular push backs for all of my studs best.

I have a 6 prong setting and don't have a side bar. Not sure that is really needed on the first one. The only negative I see is that the base is small which means the stud is more likely to slant downward. I like a larger base so it doesn't do that as much. Mine are crown style settings. They make it very easy to clean the diamonds.

WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 1.PNG WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 2.JPG

I just reset my studs and am so bummed that I did not see these settings. These are the most gorgeous us I’ve seen.

Now I will have to convince myself I am still happy with my new three prong martini settings lol

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much @RunningwithScissors for your thoughtful post and taking the time to post pictures. Your earrings are truly beautiful and you are stunning and they compliment you beautifully.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
And thank you so much @diamondseeker2006 for your thoughtful response and helping me along the way. We are learning from each other. Your 6 prong crown studs are simply romantic and beautiful on you!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
So I got an email tonight with a video of the castings. I think the donut base will be big enough. He said he will thin the prongs as much as possible.
I thought getting studs was going to be soo easy! I thoroughly underestimated the process. The diamonds were a breeze! Looking back, I probably would have ordered 3 prong and 6 prong cz settings to examine. I've never held a 3 prong earring in my life so I really don't know how I'll react. I wish I could post a video but I couldn't figure it out.
Thank you all for being with me and understanding my viewpoints. I think I'm just ready for them to get here!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@bling_dream19

i had tremendous trouble with the martini setting.

I had gia xxx mrb studs of a carat and a quarter each. I promptly got rid of them. I also don't feel 3 prongs is secure enough, for me.

I prefer a classic 4 prong due to securing the stone as well as aesthetics. i've found that a flat back or rounded back is most comfortable. Occasionally, I sleep, bathe, go into the pool and ocean with my diamond studs in. I remove them daily sometimes twice a day to toss into the ultrasonic. Afterwards, i put them right back on.

I hope that helps!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok folks my studs are here! The diamonds are stunning! The setting is beautiful and David Klass did a great job. Hubby loves them and I think they are beautiful![[/ATTACH 20200910_154851.jpg DKPV2020-09-08----SE-03.jpg DKPV2020-09-08----SE-01.jpg
20200910_155934.jpg
Sorry for nerdy photo with my earpod in but I was working and I haven't had time to take proper photo shoot lol! DKPV2020-09-08----SE-03.jpg
Thank you for everyone's help!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
They are downright gorgeous!!!
so smart to choose the flat back basket.
the jumbo backs are so pretty!
they look GREAT on you!
wear in the best of health!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
They are downright gorgeous!!!
so smart to choose the flat back basket.
the jumbo backs are so pretty!
they look GREAT on you!
wear in the best of health!

You're so sweet! Thank you @Big Fat Facets I love the jumbo backs too with the little hearts. The flat basket is great. I need to get the post lengthened but so far that's the only adjustment. Thank you for your enthusiasm! Diamonds studs are powerful as @missy said :kiss2:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
You're so sweet! Thank you @Big Fat Facets I love the jumbo backs too with the little hearts. The flat basket is great. I need to get the post lengthened but so far that's the only adjustment. Thank you for your enthusiasm! Diamonds studs are powerful as @missy said :kiss2:

I absolutely and unequivocally agree. Diamond studs are POWERFUL.
My first jewelry LOVE were diamond studs.
Cheers to you, blingdream19!!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Ok folks my studs are here! The diamonds are stunning! The setting is beautiful and David Klass did a great job. Hubby loves them and I think they are beautiful![[/ATTACH 20200910_154851.jpg DKPV2020-09-08----SE-03.jpg DKPV2020-09-08----SE-01.jpg
20200910_155934.jpg
Sorry for nerdy photo with my earpod in but I was working and I haven't had time to take proper photo shoot lol! DKPV2020-09-08----SE-03.jpg
Thank you for everyone's help!

Love the design of the stud settings!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, helloooo Gorgeous!

I love them, @bling_dream19! I knew they'd make perfect studs - and indeed they do! And jackets will be just sublime with them - what a fabulous option to have!

Congratulations on all your stunning new pieces; I saw them all in the NIRDI thread, but have not been able to respond as yet.

I'm so glad they've found their home with you - a little piece of my heart went with them. :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Stunning. Well done!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Well, helloooo Gorgeous!

I love them, @bling_dream19! I knew they'd make perfect studs - and indeed they do! And jackets will be just sublime with them - what a fabulous option to have!

Congratulations on all your stunning new pieces; I saw them all in the NIRDI thread, but have not been able to respond as yet.

I'm so glad they've found their home with you - a little piece of my heart went with them. :))

Thank you @mrs-b they are the perfect studs! Beautiful cut and color and you did the hard work by finding them! Glad to have a little piece of your heart, I know you loved them for many years. They feel right at home on my ears and I love them! The posts need to be a little longer and DKJ might be able to make my jackets work and then they will be absolutely perfect! Studs are such a staple and I feel a boost in my confidence to wear these beauties. Hugs to you!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I updated my studs folks! I was reacting to the white gold and the previous martini setting had too much metal imo. So, DKJ was kind enough to redo them, so without further ado...here are the updated studs! Same diamonds 1.2 ctw, F VS1 ACA set in custom 3 prong martini settings, platinum with protector backs. David also was able to make my jackets with with studs. 797690 797689 797688 797687 797685 797684 797686
I'm thrilled with them now! They go on very easily and I feel very special and sparkly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results