shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose setting for beautiful diamond studs!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Hi folks I'm thrilled to say I'm upgrading my studs to .61 F VS1 ACAs bought preloved from the lovely @mrs-b
My current studs are 4 prongs so I'd like something different. I'm leaning towards 18kt WG or platinum, 6 or 3 prongs. The diamonds are currently with DKJ. Here is the first set of CADs. DK 60821-QUAD-1.jpg
He said the prongs will be very tiny. I don't love the bar around it but he said it's for support. What do you all think? Might be tough to clean?
And here is the 2nd set of CAD. DK 60821-QUAD.JPG
I will also be getting the ACA jackets at some point as well as turning since earrings into drops. He said both settings will work with drops and jackets. I think this second CAD is beautiful! I like the least amount of metal. Do the prongs at the base look thick? Is there anyway to have less metal?
He's working on 3 prong CAD as well and I will post that when I get it. I thought I'd ask the wonderful PS community about these 2 beautiful 6 prong settings and get some feedback. Thank you in advance!
Also, what backs??? Ahhh it's fun lol and I just don't want to make the wrong choice. DKJ is suggesting screwbacks as the most secure option. I have la pousette on my princess studs and they are nice. My current studs are screw backs. I want the studs to sit flush against my ear too.
Thank you for the help and I hope everyone is happy and well!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Are these .61 ct each or .61ctw? Both of these setting are lovely. I have a pair of .61ctw studs set in a 3 prong martini setting in platinum with la pousette backs. They sit low in my ear and I love the look and find them to be very comfortable. I also have another .86ctw studs in platinum 3 prong basket settings with the la pousette backs. These sit a little higher, I prefer the martini settings. I also have an ultrasonic and clean my jewelry every night, I find that it does a good job of getting behind the prongs and keeping everything sparkly. Of course, once you get yours back please post pics! Im very excited for you!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the clarification! They are .61 roughly each, so 1.2 ctw. Ooh I'd love to see your 3 prong martini! Good to know that between the basket and martini that you prefer the martini. Does it have a good size donut? So as to not go into the ear hole?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Im sorry, I can’t post a pic as they are with my appraiser. I should have them back this week and I’ll post a pic then. That pair is ACA from Whiteflash. I just ordered their martini, 3 prong and had them put a la pousette back on.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first one (more delicate) as the second one seems to have more metal. If you really want to show off your stones, go for 3 prong one with the donut so that they would not sink in to your ear. DK would make them.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think from the front they will look identical, but I prefer number 2. They look more vintage and I think they’d be easier to clean.

I’ve had screwbacks for 6 years and I love them. I wear them 24/7 and they stay on so well. I never worry about them coming off when I’m sleeping or swimming. I do check occasionally to make sure they’re screwed in enough but it would take a ton of unscrewing for them to accidentally come off. I think the posts are a little more uncomfortable if you swap earrings out a lot but my ears are used to them and I don’t even notice. When I didn’t wear earrings for a week and put them back in they were a little uncomfortable while my ears got used to them again.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
I really like the second CAD - very pretty!

I wore diamond studs with screwbacks for many years without problems. A few months ago I went for a run and when I got back home one of my earrings was missing. I remember checking and tightening the backs the day before. I never thought that the screw could come loose (and off) by itself, but it did.

I've since replaced stone and had the earrings set into Protektor (same as la pousette) backs. I did a lot of reading (here and online elsewhere) and found that it's not so unusual for a screwback to come out. Everything I read is that the la pousette backs are more secure, just don't immerse them in water because the springs in the backs can rust.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! @daisygrl I agree the 2nd cad looks like more metal but he days it's less metal. And I'll check into 3 prong with a donut. I think that's what he's working on now.
Thanks @elrohwen I'll ask about how thick the posts are for screwbacks.
@mwilliamanderson I like the 2nd too!
@rungirl omg that is worst nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened! And gosh you had just checked them the day before. I'm very torn between screw backs and la pousette.
Thanks everyone!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the 2nd CAD, but that's because I personally do not like the look of the ring around the prongs.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The original La Pousette backs are made in France, but there are several American versions. I have and really like the Guardian II Comfort Trigger Back and Post. They are very secure and comfortable. When I was selecting the setting for my studs, and said I wanted the La Pousette back, I was told that the Protektor version hurts people's fingers because the trigger part is straight. The Guardian II Comfort has little flat areas that make it easier/more comfortable to pinch it open/closed. I was also told that the Guardian backs are slightly larger, which I like because I can grip them more easily, but larger backs are not to everyone's taste.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like regular push backs for all of my studs best.

I have a 6 prong setting and don't have a side bar. Not sure that is really needed on the first one. The only negative I see is that the base is small which means the stud is more likely to slant downward. I like a larger base so it doesn't do that as much. Mine are crown style settings. They make it very easy to clean the diamonds.

WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 1.PNG WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 2.JPG

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think both options are lovely! I have la pousette backs and love them. I find screw backs uncomfortable to put in, and unscrew randomly at odd times. I gave my mother screw back studs as she never takes them off, but often I will point out to her that one of her studs seems to be hanging loose!!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the pic I promised you! The Whiteflash martini setting I chose does not have a donut. I find them very comfortable. image.jpg

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for the 2nd CAD, but that's because I personally do not like the look of the ring around the prongs.

Me too, it's a lovely setting but I don't care for the ring around the prongs.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
The original La Pousette backs are made in France, but there are several American versions. I have and really like the Guardian II Comfort Trigger Back and Post. They are very secure and comfortable. When I was selecting the setting for my studs, and said I wanted the La Pousette back, I was told that the Protektor version hurts people's fingers because the trigger part is straight. The Guardian II Comfort has little flat areas that make it easier/more comfortable to pinch it open/closed. I was also told that the Guardian backs are slightly larger, which I like because I can grip them more easily, but larger backs are not to everyone's taste.

oooh thank you for your valuable opinion @RunningwithScissors I LOVE your 3 prong martini's - simply stunning! I'm going to stalk your threads to see if there are any pics of the side view. I will also check out the Guardian II Comfort Trigger Back and post - it looks like it's a Stuller product. I have la pousette backs on my princess studs and they are a bit tricky to put on and sometimes I feel like they don't have enough weight to keep the stud straight. So, I like the larger back on the guardian. Thank you for your feedback!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I like regular push backs for all of my studs best.

I have a 6 prong setting and don't have a side bar. Not sure that is really needed on the first one. The only negative I see is that the base is small which means the stud is more likely to slant downward. I like a larger base so it doesn't do that as much. Mine are crown style settings. They make it very easy to clean the diamonds.

WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 1.PNG WF 2.55ctw H VS2 studs 2.JPG

Yours are soo beautiful @diamondseeker2006 I love the crown and larger base. I think I'm going to be happier with a larger base. And that's great to know they are easy to clean! Studs get soo dirty soo quickly!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I think both options are lovely! I have la pousette backs and love them. I find screw backs uncomfortable to put in, and unscrew randomly at odd times. I gave my mother screw back studs as she never takes them off, but often I will point out to her that one of her studs seems to be hanging loose!!

I hear you on the screws unscrewing, that happened once at home for me and thankfully I didn't lose an earring. Good to know you are loving your backs!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Here is the pic I promised you! The Whiteflash martini setting I chose does not have a donut. I find them very comfortable. image.jpg

Thank you @MamaBear they are beautiful! And that's great to know they are comfortable on you. Very lovely! Thank you for coming back to post a pic. Hugs!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two pieces of advice after wearing my WF 6 prong martini studs for 4 years, continuously, at least what I would do differently.
1. Wide base is a must, like the one @diamondseeker2006 showed above. The smaller base enlarged my piercings.
2. Jumbo pushbacks. Because 1. they give the stud way more support so the pop up and stay upright (no drooping), like a pushup bra, and 2. they are big so they don't push into the back side of your piercing.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Two pieces of advice after wearing my WF 6 prong martini studs for 4 years, continuously, at least what I would do differently.
1. Wide base is a must, like the one @diamondseeker2006 showed above. The smaller base enlarged my piercings.
2. Jumbo pushbacks. Because 1. they give the stud way more support so the pop up and stay upright (no drooping), like a pushup bra, and 2. they are big so they don't push into the back side of your piercing.

This is a game changer! And I love your thread posting. You're so sweet thank you for giving me your insight. I think I'll ask for thin posts with jumbo backs. I do love a good push up bra!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This! I got some jumbo pushbacks after reading the original thread and they really help my studs sit well in the ear, as well as being confortable and secure.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party @bling_dream19, but I prefer the 2nd CAD’s too. Another thumbs up for the jumbo backs, they really work and make a world of difference.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Ok folks I have a 3 prong cad now, any thoughts? DK 60821-QUAD-5.jpg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Those are pretty! I think it would be a hard choice! But, I dont think you can go wrong with any of them!! My vote is still the 3 prong martini setting

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Hubby's vote is for 3 prong and I'm leaning towards 2nd cad in 6 prong.
Does anyone have any pics of .61 carat each diamond studs in a 6 or a 3 any opinions?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I took the plunge and the 3 prong martinis are in the works! They have a little base so hopefully they won't go into my ear hole. I've decided on the jumbo backs! They should have a notch or 2 at the back for extra security right? Thank you for everyone's help. I'm nervous and hope I love them!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @diamondseeker2006 and @LLJsmom - wide bases, jumbo pushbacks.

Also - the CAD stage is the time to make changes - custom jewellery is too expensive to pin hopes on! If you would prefer a wider base (which, again, strongly recommend) right now is the best time to tell your vendor :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results