LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Newbie-ish to diamonds here! :wavey:
& I say "ish" because I'm usually only found over
In colored stones.

My interest in diamonds exist soley because old cuts exist:
Rose cuts, OECs, OMCs, I love them all.

I'm not big into stats, I truly only go by what my eye finds stunning & I know
that doesn't align with most of the diamond owners on this board.

Anyways, I came across this preowned diamond ring in platinum and I cannot tell what cut it is to save my life!

Is it an old European cut? A brilliant cut? A transitional?

Please give me your honest opinion below!

It is exactly a .90ct center, @6.2mm in diameter set in a hefty 6 grams worth of platinum with two small princess cut (?) diamonds.

Also, peep the high crown and lower color which I LOVE!

What is this cut?!?

diamond6.jpg

diamond7.jpg

diamond5.jpg

diamond2.jpg

diamond.jpg

diamond4.jpg

diamond3.jpg

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know.

But I really like the diamond.
If it was mine I'd have it removed from the setting and sent to GIA in NY or California for a full report.
I too want to know what it is.

FWIW, GIA doesn't assign what you're asking for, popular nicknames for various cuts.
But what GIA does tell you about your diamond will be reported with enormous credibility.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm.... I dunno.... I don't think it's an "old cut" as we call them here. True, the crown looks a little higher than most modern round brilliants and it appears to have a very thick girdle. But the pavilion faceting looks very splintery which suggests very long lower halves, and that is something decidedly modern in diamond cutting. It does not have the hallmarks of what we call "transitional" cuts, most of which are pre-1940s.

I realize you said no technical mumbo jumbo, but there it is anyway.

Circe once had a large diamond that had the crown of an old cut combined with the pavilion of a modern cut. This stone has some of that flavour.

But really, it could have been cut yesterday. It does not have the hallmarks of an antique stone to my eyes.

I can see the appeal, the color is very nice and it looks bright. Still, I would keep looking if you are truly wanting and older cut stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is Circe's thread and some pictures of what she calls a "transitional". So usually what we call a transitional has the crown of an MRB and the pavilion of an older cut with shorter pavilion mains (fat arrows!). My diamond is a classic transitional. Circe's is the opposite, and I think cut much later, I would guess in the 1950s. High crown, small table, long lower halves. EDIT: In her thread, Circe says that AL Gilberson (old cut guru) says in his book American Cut that this style of transitional was actually contemporary to the other, more classic type, and was very popular in the 1910s-1920s. Cuts were all over the place during that period, with different areas of the US and Europe trying out different cuts...

1579580872069.png

For the cut nerds, these are the numbers for Circe's stone:

Total Depth: 59.8%
Table: 53.6%
Crown Height: 17.1%
Crown Angle: 36.4%
Pavilion Depth: 41%
Pavilion Angle: 39.4
Star Length: 40.9%
Lower Half Length: 76.5%

Your diamond looks a little like this. But whether you call it an old cut or an MRB... *shrug*

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting info @dreamer_dachsie ! I have come across this type of diamond and thought someone attempted to recut the lower half of the diamond during the time when old cuts were used as "rough" . But maybe those were old stones after all.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie Thank you for the more detailed analysis! & Everyone who is sharing their opinion!!!
Its strange that theres so many variations. Its mind blowing!

Whatever Frankenstein of a diamond she is I really like the look so far in photos. Like I said I'm less into angles and percentages and I truly just rely on what my eyes find beautiful.

For old cuts while a true one with chunky facets and age gets me going I'm not specifically looking for one, nor can I afford my dream one currently. I was just browsing on ebay and came across this ring.

Ideally I'll like it in person and if so I'll take it out, (possibly get a lab report), and have it bezeled in rose gold as a right hand ring.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl
It's fabulous. Did you get it?????

I did! I made an offer and the seller accepted. I'm waiting to pay for it tomorrow when I get paid.
It was a pretty good deal for my lack of diamond knowledge.
I asked the seller if she/he (I'm not sure) would sell the diamond seperately and have it taken out but they didnt know anything about jewelry and it sounded daunting to them.

While the setting is really beautiful and hefty at 6.6grams total; its just not my style, so Im going to try to sell the setting and recoop some money to help pay for a new setting.

Ive always wanted a sparkly rainbowy diamond in a rose gold bezel so this will be my gal!
I want to miligrain the bezel and have a very floral/swirly motif around 3/4ths of the band.
Low profile but well made and stunning!

Im glad you also see its beauty!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the photos certainly look bright! Most private sellers on ebay don't know how to photograph diamonds at all, so if it looks half decent in their photos it will probably look even better in person.

I love the color and look forward to your photos!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I received her and she's so lovely!
Shes a beautiful ivory (Im so very obviously not color sensitive), and is eye clean to me. Looking at her inclusions with a loupe was a lot of fun. I love her smaller table with her chunky faceted crown paired with a splintery underbelly.

Also, who knew that a 6mm diamond would feel large to me but it does?!?
I only have a few hours with her and then shes being sent off to be carefully taken out of her platinum setting and having one made for her thats inspired by an antique solitaire. I tried uploading the photo but I have no idea why it won't?

The antique inspo is made with yellow gold. Should I stay with the yellow gold theme or do rose gold? FYI I've been a rose gold fiend lately so yellow feels fresh.

& Sadly Idk how you diamond people take accurate photos of your diamonds?!?! My phones camera wont take close up photos well at all and any that I do get that are focused show an included yellow diamond which isnt what I see at all in person?!? :snooty:

I thought emeralds were difficult but Damn!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received her and she's so lovely!
Shes a beautiful ivory (Im so very obviously not color sensitive), and is eye clean to me. Looking at her inclusions with a loupe was a lot of fun. I love her smaller table with her chunky faceted crown paired with a splintery underbelly.

Also, who knew that a 6mm diamond would feel large to me but it does?!?
I only have a few hours with her and then shes being sent off to be carefully taken out of her platinum setting and having one made for her thats inspired by an antique solitaire. I tried uploading the photo but I have no idea why it won't?

The antique inspo is made with yellow gold. Should I stay with the yellow gold theme or do rose gold? FYI I've been a rose gold fiend lately so yellow feels fresh.

& Sadly Idk how you diamond people take accurate photos of your diamonds?!?! My phones camera wont take close up photos well at all and any that I do get that are focused show an included yellow diamond which isnt what I see at all in person?!? :snooty:

I thought emeralds were difficult but Damn!

Oh it sounds so lovely and I’m thrilled you’re in love with it! As for photos I’m not an expert but I just aim the phone camera onto the diamond and it comes into focus. Don’t get too close first and see if you can take a photo and then crop it. Then you can use the zoom and try to get it into focus and see if you can get a closer pic. Try with just natural sunlight coming into the house or go outside and take near some trees and or greenery. Also, if I’m having trouble getting the facets to come into focus I touch the screen and it focuses on the object (diamond). Good luck. Have fun with it. Sometimes I have to take a lot of photos before I get one that depicts it as it is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you will find this thread helpful @TheGarnetGirl
It’s mainly for cameras and not phones but perhaps there is something helpful in the thread.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Eeeeeeeep!
Oh no!

I took a closer look in different lighting with my loupe and found orangey red whisps :(

Blehhj.....and I asked the dang seller if it was enhanced in any way.

I dont know what to do as I already had plans to have a ring made for it and I love the diamond.
The seller also doesnt accept returns (ebay) but Im sure I could go to ebay because she (unknowingly?) Misrepresented the diamond.

I just dont buy enhanced gems past heating or oil. Also this would mean no ultra sonic cleaners, no jewelers torch or boiling acid.

I also am afraid that I overpaid.
What should I do?

Lordy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeeeeep!
Oh no!

I took a closer look in different lighting with my loupe and found orangey red whisps :(

Blehhj.....and I asked the dang seller if it was enhanced in any way.

I dont know what to do as I already had plans to have a ring made for it and I love the diamond.
The seller also doesnt accept returns (ebay) but Im sure I could go to ebay because she (unknowingly?) Misrepresented the diamond.

I just dont buy enhanced gems past heating or oil. Also this would mean no ultra sonic cleaners, no jewelers torch or boiling acid.

I also am afraid that I overpaid.
What should I do?

Lordy

Oy, I don't know anything about enhanced diamonds but if it is then the seller has to accept a return as anything misrepresented is returnable on eBay. I am so sorry!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An enhanced diamond not disclosed would be consider "significantly not as described" and you can file a claim through EBay for that if you do find it is indeed enhanced.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Oy, I don't know anything about enhanced diamonds but if it is then the seller has to accept a return as anything misrepresented is returnable on eBay. I am so sorry!

Its so pretty but its a mind clean thing for me. I almost wish I hadnt looked again haha
I found a beautiful OEC for the same price but its 5mm and im afraid it wont make the same impact as 6mm. 6mm looks so good on my finger.
Blehhhhhk

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its so pretty but its a mind clean thing for me. I almost wish I hadnt looked again haha
I found a beautiful OEC for the same price but its 5mm and im afraid it wont make the same impact as 6mm. 6mm looks so good on my finger.
Blehhhhhk

I totally get it. I would feel the same way. Don't settle. Hold out for the one. I hear you re 5mm vs 6mm. How would you be setting it?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I totally get it. I would feel the same way. Don't settle. Hold out for the one. I hear you re 5mm vs 6mm. How would you be setting it?

Screenshot_2020-01-28-08-13-47~2.png
This was the setting I wanted to replicate! I just am not sure ill find another 6mm diamond for the price I paid for the ring. *sigh*
I'm trying to figure out if itd bother me or not.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
An enhanced diamond not disclosed would be consider "significantly not as described" and you can file a claim through EBay for that if you do find it is indeed enhanced.

Thanks! Yes especially since I asked the seller and they said no.
Could I do a partial refund?
Do you know how that works?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_2020-01-28-08-13-47~2.png
This was the setting I wanted to replicate! I just am not sure ill find another 6mm diamond for the price I paid for the ring. *sigh*
I'm trying to figure out if itd bother me or not.

LOVE this setting. So much!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could try to negotiate with the seller but I'm going to be straight with you and say that you are better off to completely return this and start over, Even a partial refund of whatever you paid wouldn't be reasonable IMO.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I'm so sorry you are going through this but at least you found out while you can still get your money back!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
You could try to negotiate with the seller but I'm going to be straight with you and say that you are better off to completely return this and start over, Even a partial refund of whatever you paid wouldn't be reasonable IMO.

I really like the diamond though and Feel as though I got a good deal.
I dont use ultrasonic machines only soapy water and a soft bristled toothbrush. I informed my bench and hes comfortable setting it as he wont use a torch.

Im leaning towards keeping it because everytime I look down I'm just in love with it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the diamond though and Feel as though I got a good deal.
I dont use ultrasonic machines only soapy water and a soft bristled toothbrush. I informed my bench and hes comfortable setting it as he wont use a torch.

Im leaning towards keeping it because everytime I look down I'm just in love with it!

If you are happy with it and feel like it was a good value then by all means keep it!

I think clarity enhancement becomes an issue with resale value but if you don't plan on ever selling the ring then it wouldn't be a concern.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
If you are happy with it and feel like it was a good value then by all means keep it!

I think clarity enhancement becomes an issue with resale value but if you don't plan on ever selling the ring then it wouldn't be a concern.

If we take away the cost of the platinum setting with the two untreated 3mm side diamonds, I basically paid $500 for the diamond.

& I truly find it beautiful.
It's a hard decision but im still leaning to keeping it!
I think itd look stunning in the setting I have planned, Id just have to baby it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we take away the cost of the platinum setting with the two untreated 3mm side diamonds, I basically paid $500 for the diamond.

& I truly find it beautiful.
It's a hard decision but im still leaning to keeping it!
I think itd look stunning in the setting I have planned, Id just have to baby it!

Here is a question, you might want to make a new thread for this, what type of treatment do the red/orange wisps indicate? Some treatments are more stable than others and depending on how included the diamond was to start you just want to make sure it doesn't present a durability issue.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dissuade you from keeping it but I want to make sure you have all the information to make an informed decision.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Here is a question, you might want to make a new thread for this, what type of treatment do the red/orange wisps indicate? Some treatments are more stable than others and depending on how included the diamond was to start you just want to make sure it doesn't present a durability issue.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dissuade you from keeping it but I want to make sure you have all the information to make an informed decision.

Oh no, I understand! Its a forum of knowledge and informed purchases.
The very fact that the seller sold me a diamond that was grossly misrepresented goes against our very core.

& I would start a new thread but online it specifically states that those colors of whisps are directly from fracture filling.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Heres a photo of the color I see in person!
I'm just smitten with this diamond. Blehhhhk

20200128_104019.jpg
20200128_104112.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I <thought> that fracture filling or drill and fill in diamonds resulted in blue/purple streaks? Not red/orange.

I did see once a diamond that had a garnet (ruby?) crystal inside it. That crystal was eye visible so I didn’t buy it but scientifically I thought it was cool.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results