shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think of this 1.35 ct I SI2? Please help!

dan1230

Rough_Rock
I really hate to thread-jack but I'm looking for a very similarly spec'd diamond and I'm a little surprised (probably my inexperience) that 7500 is a unlikely number for a diamond in this range. I've been looking with the following search criteria:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/pC1lnHSZ

I had put a max price of $6100 and have been able to find a few that appear to have ideal cut proportions in terms of crown and pavilion angles. Am I missing something?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dan1230|1471399216|4066760 said:
I really hate to thread-jack but I'm looking for a very similarly spec'd diamond and I'm a little surprised (probably my inexperience) that 7500 is a unlikely number for a diamond in this range. I've been looking with the following search criteria:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/pC1lnHSZ

I had put a max price of $6100 and have been able to find a few that appear to have ideal cut proportions in terms of crown and pavilion angles. Am I missing something?
Plz start a new topic and we will help you

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I just got word that the I with fluorescence has sold. I'm so bummed out. If they had reserved it when I asked for it I could've at least had a chance to see it. It must not have been milky and hazy like they said seeing as it sold almost immediately after I posted about it.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Ok, would you pay $50 to have them bring in a diamond that got an HCA of 1 but has some crazy inclusions on the report? It's an SI1, so how concerned should I be? Also found another I that scored a 2.7...should I forget about it with a score that high?

Here's an image of the K inclusion map and descriptions

20160817_204858.png

20160817_204924.png

fair75

Rough_Rock
picante27|1471481562|4067139 said:
Ok, would you pay $50 to have them bring in a diamond that got an HCA of 1 but has some crazy inclusions on the report? It's an SI1, so how concerned should I be? Also found another I that scored a 2.7...should I forget about it with a score that high?

Here's an image of the K inclusion map and descriptions

It looks messy from the report, but you probably won't know if it's eye clean for sure without seeing it in person. But I have some good news for you though. I did a search on JA and found some good diamonds that I didn't see before. You can find the links to these stones below. They look beautiful in the videos and relatively white being J/K.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.35-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1834444

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.36-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1961276 (a good choice if strong blue fluorescence doesn't cause the diamond to be milky or hazy. But the diamond looks a bit yellowish faced up)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.33-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1000604

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.31-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-76310 (Pavilion angle is 41 degrees, so an ideal-scope/ASET scope image is most likely a must to see if there is serious light leakage.)

picante27

Shiny_Rock
thank you so much fair75! I will pass along those diamonds to GL to see if they are available to them. Unfortunately, they do not seem willing to bring in diamonds that that I have found listed on BN or JA. I have sent them a few links in the past weeks, and, even though they are available for them to bring in, they didn't. They brought in those first two diamonds at the top of my thread instead...without asking if I was interested in them first. So, now I will have to pay $50 each diamond I request. Also, GL markup means I need to add about $500 to the JA price.

That's why I have been trying really hard to find something using their database, so it is already in their system, the price is already listed, and so on. I was even told that JA owns all their stones, which is not true. I called them out on that and they did admit it wasn't true. I think they are annoyed with me because I didn't want either of the ones they brought in, not sure.

So, I am searching their database, reading the GIA report, then entering in the data into the HCA calculator to try to find well cut diamonds in my budget. It is a bit tedious, but that's where I am at right now...sigh

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
picante27 said:
thank you so much fair75! I will pass along those diamonds to GL to see if they are available to them. Unfortunately, they do not seem willing to bring in diamonds that that I have found listed on BN or JA. I have sent them a few links in the past weeks, and, even though they are available for them to bring in, they didn't. They brought in those first two diamonds at the top of my thread instead...without asking if I was interested in them first. So, now I will have to pay $50 each diamond I request. Also, GL markup means I need to add about $500 to the JA price.

That's why I have been trying really hard to find something using their database, so it is already in their system, the price is already listed, and so on. I was even told that JA owns all their stones, which is not true. I called them out on that and they did admit it wasn't true. I think they are annoyed with me because I didn't want either of the ones they brought in, not sure.

So, I am searching their database, reading the GIA report, then entering in the data into the HCA calculator to try to find well cut diamonds in my budget. It is a bit tedious, but that's where I am at right now...sigh

i'm surprised no one else has said anything about them bringing in 2 stones without you asking to see them and now you'll have to pay $50 for each additional. i would have a major issue with this. you did not specifically ask to see those other two diamonds so i really don't think they should count against your allotment of 3 stones. i agree, i think they fully expected you to choose one of the stones (let's face it, not everyone is as picky as PSers) and they're giving you some trouble when it comes to pulling stones. how ANNOYING. :angryfire:

picante27

Shiny_Rock
farrahlyn|1471526806|4067296 said:
picante27 said:

i'm surprised no one else has said anything about them bringing in 2 stones without you asking to see them and now you'll have to pay $50 for each additional. i would have a major issue with this. you did not specifically ask to see those other two diamonds so i really don't think they should count against your allotment of 3 stones. i agree, i think they fully expected you to choose one of the stones (let's face it, not everyone is as picky as PSers) and they're giving you some trouble when it comes to pulling stones. how ANNOYING. :angryfire:

Thank you farrahlyn! This is exactly how I feel too. I did tell them I wish I had been told upfront about their policy and asked for approval before bringing in those first two...but it is too late now. I am also annoyed that when I asked for that I diamond with fluorescence that is in their database, they told me they called about it and it was milky and hazy. So I asked to see it anyway because I wanted to see for myself (they hadn't seen it personally and I don't have complete trust in them) and it has sold. So, yeah, I doubt it sold that fast if it was not a pretty stone.
They also told me they would only provide me SI2 stones with my budget of 7500.00, but when I started looking for myself in their website, there are plenty of SI1 and VS stones within my budget.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
picante27 said:
farrahlyn|1471526806|4067296 said:
picante27 said:

Thank you farrahlyn! This is exactly how I feel too. I did tell them I wish I had been told upfront about their policy and asked for approval before bringing in those first two...but it is too late now. I am also annoyed that when I asked for that I diamond with fluorescence that is in their database, they told me they called about it and it was milky and hazy. So I asked to see it anyway because I wanted to see for myself (they hadn't seen it personally and I don't have complete trust in them) and it has sold. So, yeah, I doubt it sold that fast if it was not a pretty stone.
They also told me they would only provide me SI2 stones with my budget of 7500.00, but when I started looking for myself in their website, there are plenty of SI1 and VS stones within my budget.

did you see this J VS2? Enchanted Diamonds has images although they have it as unavailable so i wonder if someone has it on hold... just slightly over budget at $7661
GL Stock #df1-roXPJ90083

GIA
http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2186281883
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R133-450573562

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that J is really pretty farrahlyn! I will ask about it!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Alright, I have pictures of 2 more diamonds that Green Lake brought in. I would love to get some feedback on these two.

I am not sure of the lighting source in this one, but the 1.41 looks hazy compared to the 1.4.
The 1.41 is $7762.00, triple excellent, and HCA is 1.1. It has faint fluorescence and is SI1
The 1.4 is $7359.00, X X VG, and the HCA is 1.9. Also SI1

In this picture, the 1.41 doesn't look hazy to me, but definitely doesn't show as much color. Again, no idea of the lighting source.

GL said that the inclusions on the 1.4 are only visible under magnification, but there's definitely a lot more going on with it that the 1.41.

I have requested ASET and IS images.

2016-08-20_12-25-501471721192.jpg

2016-08-20_11-46-311471721386.jpg

2016-08-20_12-02-321471721393.jpg

picante27

Shiny_Rock
And here are the GIA reports:

screen_shot_2016-08-20_at_9.png

screen_shot_2016-08-20_at_0.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first on is a flat now. The crown is way too low at 32.5.

The second one is fine (1.41). But I would want an idealscope image for it.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Gypsy. What do you think of the haziness of the 1.41? Cause for concern?
I did request IS and ASET images of both.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Here are the images that green lake sent me. What do you guys think of these?

2016-08-24_10-22-561472059423.jpg

2016-08-24_10-21-051472059432.jpg

2016-08-24_10-18-371472059435.jpg

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Neither is perfect (you already knew that) and both are decent to okay. Have you seen them in person? If so, see if one attracts your eye more than the other... e.g. one looks brighter or has nicer flashes. If you're indifferent in person, then buy the cheaper one. Also, if you're going in to see them, ask to see their best-cut diamond for comparison.

Are you sure you're okay with these prices? Do you have an agreed-upon value for the piece you're trading in?

If you will be getting at least an equivalent diamond on JA for, say, $1000 cheaper, then maybe offer to give them $500 over what they wanted to give you for the trade-in piece. That would give you more freedom for the diamond purchase, albeit at about a $500 lower budget, but you would be saving in the end by getting an equivalent diamond for less money.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I can't see them in person because I'm on the east coast and GL is in Seattle. I am sure I can go ahead and purchase one to view in person with a return window if I don't like it.
So, my trade in value is $6693, so I am adding an additional 1k (at the very most) to the budget. I know the JA stones are a lot cheaper, it is a bummer...

I have asked for a video of the 2 diamonds side by side in various lighting, so hopefully that'll help. It is really hard to decide based on just a couple snapshots.

One thing, they are saying the 1.41 looks hazy. I don't really see it in the pics and I also didn't see clouds on the GIA report that might cause the haze. The magnified pic looks pretty clean to me compared to the 1.4. It has faint fluoro, but I wouldn't think that would cause haze??? I am hoping a video will help me decide.

Would a hazy diamond look a certain way in the ASET image?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would no get a hazy stone. That is a flat no.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.41 looks hazy to me. And the 1.40, while I like the ASET better, looks "dim".

Can you not find (with help here) a more recommended stone from virtual inventory, and then ask Green Lake if they can source THAT stone for you?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
ringo865|1472088610|4069754 said:
The 1.41 looks hazy to me. And the 1.40, while I like the ASET better, looks "dim".

Can you not find (with help here) a more recommended stone from virtual inventory, and then ask Green Lake if they can source THAT stone for you?

At the start of the diamond search, I sent them several JA stones within my budget that had great potential. They pretty much ignored them all and brought in the first 2 diamonds at the top of this thread. That's when I started using their own listed diamonds only, trying to find something decent within my budget. At one point they told me JA owns all of their stones and they couldn't get them, which is not true.

The 1.41 looks hazy in one pic, but not really in the other, at least to me. What would be causing it to look hazy? It didn't have any clouds on the gia report and only faint fluorescence.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1472083591|4069704 said:
I would no get a hazy stone. That is a flat no.

I don't know why I'm holding onto hope that it isn't really hazy. They are sending me a video hopefully soon. Does the aset show that it is hazy or are you just going by that first pic? What would be causing the haze?

It looks a lot whiter than the other J in the second pic. Am I just being stubborn?

I really don't want to get stuck with a diamond that is just ok, but I've gone through their listings, their are a couple others I might ask for. At 50 bucks each, my budget will start dwindling soon. I do wish they would bring in some of those JA stones I asked for.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can tell them you're going to upgrade later (years) when you can afford a stone you want to buy outright. Without a trade-in. Unless they will bring in the stone you want. And not at $50 a crack. James Allen is also not the only vendor who has virtual stones.

How badly do these guys want your business? They're kinda asking to be dumped.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Here are some screenshots of the video GL sent me late last night. They will return the diamonds on Monday, so they want me to go ahead and decide. The 3 other diamonds I had saved in my "favorites" on their site that I was thinking about requesting have been marked as sold and deleted from their site. So I am feeling like I just need to choose from these 2 and be done with it. I have asked that their gemologist call me today with the diamonds in hand to talk about them because I have gotten very little feedback on them from GL.

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_10.png

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_1.png

picante27

Shiny_Rock
and a few more

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_2.png

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_3.png

screen_shot_2016-08-26_at_4.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results