shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this antique 1905 2ct rose cut diamond halo?

JLS

Rough_Rock
This is only my second post on here, but I love this site and it’s been so helpful to me.
This is kind of long (apologies) but if you can read it I’d be so grateful :) or just skip down to the end for the pics and tell me your opinion on this stone & it’s setting, thank you!

I have been in the market for an upgraded engagement ring for over 2 years now (going from a basic 2ct RB set in a 3 sided micro pave halo that I ended up not loving & stopped wearing years ago). I’m really not a fan of much. I don’t like “typical” styles of cuts/settings but also want something very classic and timeless (kind of contradictory I know) and 100% want a diamond. I was set and ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5-3 ct emerald cut with tapered baguettes. I’m not hugely keen of the rectangular shape on my finger, given the sharp corners, but liked how it was a unique cut with a timeless feel & setting.

Well fast forward to last week. I came across this beauty (pics below) and was blown away. I’ve never had such a visceral reaction to a ring before! It truly took my breath away. It’s an antique (circa 1905!) oval, 2 ct rose cut diamond in a halo of OEC diamonds. I love how the OEC diamonds are unique and really compliment yet stand out from the rose cut. I never considered a rose cut because of what I’ve read about them being lifeless and I never considered an oval shape simply because I’m just not a fan of the type of sparkle brilliant cuts give. I also normally don’t like halos because they all seem to blend into the center stone and you can’t differentiate the two.

I’m not concerned with it being such an old antique, it was purchased through a trusted source (Victor Barboné - I cannot recommend them enough!!) and I absolutely baby my jewelry. I’m not the type to wears my rings all the time, just when I go out.

My main concern is the large size on my size 4 finger. Although it’s a 2ct, given the type of cut it faces up as a 2.5 ct (10.71 x 7.54), and the halo is on the chunkier side so there’s a lot of finger coverage. Also, as much as I love the rose cut, it’s true what they say and the shallow sparkle (while it’s there) is just... different. I LOVE the flashy effect but I do wish it had more of a rainbow in its flashes and wasn’t so transparent at certain angles.

Things I like:
* the shape; I love the way the oval shape looks on my finger.
* the story; my husband and I both are in love with the idea of an antique ring and are intrigued with it being so old!
* the cut; it’s unique and not the typical brilliant cut. I love how it also stands out alone from the halo.

Things I don’t like:
* the overall size; I like large rings but is it TOO large on my finger?
* worried that it doesn’t “look” like a diamond, given the unique cut and large size.
* will the unique cut lose its charm over time and will its transparency and lack of colored flashes bother me long term?

If I were to send it back, I’m pretty certain at this point that I would have the same exact setting replicated just with a smaller center stone. But I’m afraid that by doing that, the ring will lose the charm that I love about it (especially the fact that it’s 115 years old) and I will be unhappy with the typical brilliant oval in a typical brilliant halo - the look that I’m trying to avoid. The only other option for me would be the emerald cut, but I do love the oval shape on me much more.

I am the worst decision maker in general and I am absolutely agonizing over this! I’ve added pictures in all different lighting, but pictures truly don’t do its beauty justice.

96DFBE5D-0CFA-4451-9245-FC8DE2E5A215.jpeg 908D8280-E1ED-4257-9B34-720D7F1F2167.jpeg 4E4E7FA6-4C65-46C0-A569-74DE562AFDA8.jpeg 73064FA0-ADC6-40DA-A11E-16D1FE9D8616.jpeg 46D91A41-EDE3-421A-B82B-43142E622E47.jpeg 2C628E0C-18B2-4402-B5F7-C1716597AD34.jpeg 6EDE6A56-BA7A-4236-AF58-17C2D95C16E8.jpeg 623789D1-9A9C-42A3-8A60-2F7BAECCDACE.jpeg 384A697A-56F6-437C-B8B9-67BD9B12C758.jpeg EE9AFDD0-A4A1-4178-9162-2A4BC3AF2CC8.png

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous ring. I love this.
I think the size looks great on your finger and I love Rosies and oecs.
I think an antique is timeless yet unique

But this isn't the point. You need to love it. It needs to make your heart go pitter patter.

The only practical advice I can give is that most people have diamond shrinkage syndrome, many very soon after getting their rings. One just gets used to the ring on one's own finger and it won't look big anymore.
There are always exceptions, but the overwhelming majority of PSers have DSS.
As to the third question especially, I'm afraid only you can give an answer...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I think its beautiful! It looks lovely on your hand, It does look really large but rose cuts are somewhat understated in my opinion.
(not that this ring is understated :) )

I dont know and cant tell you if you'll get bored with it. I tend to get bored with all my rings after I've had them for a while. I stop wearing them
till I appreciate them again. Works for me!

Edit...I see you already have it for your avatar...I think that means its a keeper!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well fast forward to last week. I came across this beauty (pics below) and was blown away. I’ve never had such a visceral reaction to a ring before! It truly took my breath away.

This statement of yours is what I am basing my opinion on. Your reaction to it was something that is hard to come by. Especially since you want unique and this fits that bill and made your heart go pitter patter. Sending it back and trying to recreate it you risk losing the significance of the history as well as possibly feeling like you settled.

Is it too large? That’s subjective and something only you can answer. Personally, in my profession, I am uncomfortable wearing very large bling and it has hampered the joy and enjoyment I should have had.

It’s really a beauty! I also have difficulty making decisions, but when I feel like you felt when you saw it, generally I will consider that a keeper, good luck!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my, its a beauty--its a good size, but again, you have be comfortable in it.

From the looks of your beautiful hand, it appears you are a young person, whereas I'm in my early 60's. & from a 60 yr old perspective, I say go for it, its a gorgeous ring & if it took your breath away like that, perhaps you'll regret letting it go.

I'd wear it & enjoy it. You could always get something smaller later on, but I'd keep this one! My wedding ring habits have changed from one extreme to the other over the years, but one thing hasn't: the need to go bigger. YMMV but my food for thought this morning, welcome to PS!

JLS

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous ring. I love this.
I think the size looks great on your finger and I love Rosies and oecs.
I think an antique is timeless yet unique

But this isn't the point. You need to love it. It needs to make your heart go pitter patter.

The only practical advice I can give is that most people have diamond shrinkage syndrome, many very soon after getting their rings. One just gets used to the ring on one's own finger and it won't look big anymore.
There are always exceptions, but the overwhelming majority of PSers have DSS.
As to the third question especially, I'm afraid only you can give an answer...

Thanks for the reply! I think I would have DSS too. I personally like the look of larger rings, but aside from my MIL, I don’t know anyone with one so it would certainly stand out and attract attention which the thought of makes me uncomfortable lol but I feel so happy every time I look down at it and that should be all that matters, not what anyone else thinks.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh, I think its beautiful! It looks lovely on your hand, It does look really large but rose cuts are somewhat understated in my opinion.
(not that this ring is understated :) )

I dont know and cant tell you if you'll get bored with it. I tend to get bored with all my rings after I've had them for a while. I stop wearing them
till I appreciate them again. Works for me!

Edit...I see you already have it for your avatar...I think that means its a keeper!

Thank you! I agree, I love how rose cuts are so understated and unique. I’m still on the fence about the size but I’d say it’s a solid 90% chance of keeping it!

JLS

Rough_Rock
This statement of yours is what I am basing my opinion on. Your reaction to it was something that is hard to come by. Especially since you want unique and this fits that bill and made your heart go pitter patter. Sending it back and trying to recreate it you risk losing the significance of the history as well as possibly feeling like you settled.

Is it too large? That’s subjective and something only you can answer. Personally, in my profession, I am uncomfortable wearing very large bling and it has hampered the joy and enjoyment I should have had.

It’s really a beauty! I also have difficulty making decisions, but when I feel like you felt when you saw it, generally I will consider that a keeper, good luck!

I think you are right. The feeling I get when I have it on is like no other! I just tend to overthink everything, and I’m so afraid of regretting something down the line especially with such a big purchase like this. I guess my biggest concern is the size looking ridiculous on me, but it fits in well with my everyday life, as in it wouldn’t get in the way or anything. Thanks so much for your feedback!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think it looks too big at all, and it sounds like you may truly regret letting it go. If it makes your heart sing, keep it and wear it happily. You’ll probably get used to the size quite quickly.

I think it’s beautiful.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Oh my, its a beauty--its a good size, but again, you have be comfortable in it.

From the looks of your beautiful hand, it appears you are a young person, whereas I'm in my early 60's. & from a 60 yr old perspective, I say go for it, its a gorgeous ring & if it took your breath away like that, perhaps you'll regret letting it go.

I'd wear it & enjoy it. You could always get something smaller later on, but I'd keep this one! My wedding ring habits have changed from one extreme to the other over the years, but one thing hasn't: the need to go bigger. YMMV but my food for thought this morning, welcome to PS!

Thanks much for the kind welcome & feedback! Yes, I am on the younger side at 35 which I think is why the size makes me a bit uncomfortable. I’d be the only one out of my friends and family (aside from my MIL) with a ring this large and although I like nice things, I’m not super flashy as I’m shy when it comes to attention. But I think you’re right about regretting letting it go, I don’t think I’ll ever come across something this special again. My husband even mentioned to me that if down the line I want something different, it would make a fabulous right hand ring!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful yet unique. Looks great on your finger.

What does your original ering look like?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful ring. If you think it’s too big you could try to find another antique stone to replicate it, maybe an oval or moval shape? Jewels by Grace and other old cut sellers often have these in stock. David Klass does good work- he recently had a very similar ring, with a scalloped edge on his IG feed. You could think of it as creating a ”new” heirloom that might last its own 115 years!

JLS

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful yet unique. Looks great on your finger.

What does your original ering look like?

Thank you! It really is a unique & special piece, I think I’ll regret letting it go even though I have slight reservations.

Here is my original (sorry not the best pics) & I haven’t worn it for about 3 years, just my wedding band. I had no idea what I wanted when we got engaged so I just kind of quickly picked whatever lol I realized soon after we got married that it’s just not my style. Plus, the micro-pave diamonds are really tiny and don’t sparkle much so it makes the setting look clunky & dull

DC6B5E70-432B-4095-8E54-B3DACB5F53A0.jpeg 88757B1B-01E8-4A65-9C83-C03F542721C4.jpeg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks much for the kind welcome & feedback! Yes, I am on the younger side at 35 which I think is why the size makes me a bit uncomfortable. I’d be the only one out of my friends and family (aside from my MIL) with a ring this large and although I like nice things, I’m not super flashy as I’m shy when it comes to attention. But I think you’re right about regretting letting it go, I don’t think I’ll ever come across something this special again. My husband even mentioned to me that if down the line I want something different, it would make a fabulous right hand ring!

It would definitely make a gorgeous right hand ring!! I think I'd keep it since it was love at first sight!! Congratulations--it's a beauty, no doubt!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is definitely not too big!

Take a look at this THREAD and you'll realize it's actually quite small. :)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! It really is a unique & special piece, I think I’ll regret letting it go even though I have slight reservations.

Here is my original (sorry not the best pics) & I haven’t worn it for about 3 years, just my wedding band. I had no idea what I wanted when we got engaged so I just kind of quickly picked whatever lol I realized soon after we got married that it’s just not my style. Plus, the micro-pave diamonds are really tiny and don’t sparkle much so it makes the setting look clunky & dull

DC6B5E70-432B-4095-8E54-B3DACB5F53A0.jpeg 88757B1B-01E8-4A65-9C83-C03F542721C4.jpeg

That looks like a fabulous center stone, but yes, the setting sucks big time!

I see a reset adventure in your not too distant future. :dance:

JLS

Rough_Rock
It’s a beautiful ring. If you think it’s too big you could try to find another antique stone to replicate it, maybe an oval or moval shape? Jewels by Grace and other old cut sellers often have these in stock. David Klass does good work- he recently had a very similar ring, with a scalloped edge on his IG feed. You could think of it as creating a ”new” heirloom that might last its own 115 years!

Thanks for those suggestions! Jewels by Grace is one of my favorite places to look! It’s where I first saw a rose cut! I’ve heard of David Klass here before but never really checked out his work, but that ring you’re talking about is stunning!

I was thinking about going that route with the different (smaller) diamond. I have seen antique cut ovals, with chunkier facets than the brilliant, but I imagine those are hard to come by and potentially out of my price range. I would consider the standard brilliant oval but my only thing is that I really wanted something different. But then again, is the rose cut so unique that it doesn’t even look like a diamond? Especially being so large?

JLS

Rough_Rock
That looks like a fabulous center stone, but yes, the setting sucks big time!

I see a reset adventure in your not too distant future. :dance:

Sucks is an understatement! Which is why I wouldn’t even wear it haha! I definitely plan on resetting the diamond to a simple pendant sometime soon though!

WOW the rings on that thread are massive

JLS

Rough_Rock
I don’t think it looks too big at all, and it sounds like you may truly regret letting it go. If it makes your heart sing, keep it and wear it happily. You’ll probably get used to the size quite quickly.

I think it’s beautiful.

Thanks for the reply! I’m still a little unsure on the size, but the beauty of it is sure making it hard to say no!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long is your return window? I find that it takes a few weeks before the novelty wears off and I realize if there is enough substance in my new piece of bling that will keep me satisfied. This would be the case for me with your ring. I think at first I would be seduced by its uniqueness. It’s beautiful. But If you are like me and need the brilliance of a modern round, then it would hit me in a couple of weeks that a huge factor was missing. Tbh, I fantasize about so many different cuts. Emerald cuts. Cushions. Oec’s. But I realize that it’s only a mrb that keeps me captivated. So I but the other shapes for my right hand. And typically after a week, I’m ready to rotate them with my other rhr’s. But not my mrb. That I will never ever want to rotate.
Eta: it seems you have already given the mrb a chance and didn’t care for it yet you are concerned that the lack of brilliance and light play of this stone might bother you. Maybe you need an in between. An avc oval in that gorgeous setting!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure the problem with your original is not just the setting? Why not reset it into a simple inexpensive solitaire before you replace it with a new ring entirely?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is beautiful and looks perfect on you. Of course, only you can decide, but I feel that if you ever did find that it was too large [usually diamonds look smaller to you after a while], I think you would not have any trouble finding a new owner for it!
You can go ahead and put me on that list :lol:

[edit: this from someone who has several regrets about the ones that got away].

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It does fit on your hand very well. It is very much my style as well & would not find it overstated whatsoever, a dream ring! [speaking of colourless cabochons, this is big! www & still works @ the right time & place, IMHO].

Does it look like a diamond? Certainly.

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks a spectacular ring. Divine on your hand too.
If you love it, that is all that matters:appl:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the ring and it looks elegant on your beautiful hand BUT if it doesn’t satisfy all your wants then let it go. I agree with PP that a possible antique moval/oval will do it for you, I have an antique cut marquis that is so different from the modern cuts and absolutely love it.

my chunky antique compared to a modern, the cut is just so different and it has larger flashes.
814426C2-F287-4223-B995-92254C0A7581.jpeg

start looking at fancy antique cuts, I think you will love them

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great on your hand. Will you wear your wedding band with it?

JLS

Rough_Rock
How long is your return window? I find that it takes a few weeks before the novelty wears off and I realize if there is enough substance in my new piece of bling that will keep me satisfied. This would be the case for me with your ring. I think at first I would be seduced by its uniqueness. It’s beautiful. But If you are like me and need the brilliance of a modern round, then it would hit me in a couple of weeks that a huge factor was missing. Tbh, I fantasize about so many different cuts. Emerald cuts. Cushions. Oec’s. But I realize that it’s only a mrb that keeps me captivated. So I but the other shapes for my right hand. And typically after a week, I’m ready to rotate them with my other rhr’s. But not my mrb. That I will never ever want to rotate.
Eta: it seems you have already given the mrb a chance and didn’t care for it yet you are concerned that the lack of brilliance and light play of this stone might bother you. Maybe you need an in between. An avc oval in that gorgeous setting!

Ugh I couldn’t agree more with the novelty wearing off after a few weeks, but unfortunately I only have a 5 day window to decide :( And thats the reason I’m having such a tough time! I feel so rushed.

I admire every diamond shape and cut, I think they are all beautiful in their own ways, but I can’t help but gravitate towards cuts that are more out of the ordinary than the typical brilliants, which is the reason for originally planning to choose an emerald cut. (I still love ECs but I do think an oval shape looks better on my finger after seeing this ring). Even antique cuts like OEC & OMC still have a brilliance that you tend to see everywhere and lack a certain je ne sais quoi that I’m looking for. I know that must sound crazy!

If this rose cut had a little more depth to it and was just 1/2ct smaller, I think it would be an easier choice. I could always look for a smaller Dutch rose cut, but then I’d be losing out on this incredible antique setting!

I’m also nervous that with it being so large and unique, it runs into the territory of not looking like a diamond...

Reactions: AV_

JLS

Rough_Rock
I think it looks great on your hand. Will you wear your wedding band with it?

Thank you!! I’m not too sure if I’d do a band, it’s a pretty big statement on its own! But if I did, it would a very simple gold band like the one the vendor showed with it:
F774E346-4525-4E56-A63A-4B627B2F32D7.jpeg

JLS

Rough_Rock
It does fit on your hand very well. It is very much my style as well & would not find it overstated whatsoever, a dream ring! [speaking of colourless cabochons, this is big! www & still works @ the right time & place, IMHO].

Does it look like a diamond? Certainly.

I’m so glad you say that it looks like a diamond! I think that’s my biggest concern at this point. With it appearing so large with the halo, then adding in that it doesn’t have the scintillation like a typical diamond worries me a bit. I love diamonds and I would very much like for it to look like one!

That LM ring is incredible! It would crush my puny finger :lol:

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@JLS There are so many unusual diamond cuts around now, I am learning what diamonds look like all the time! Yours is a tame classic. I am more used to seeing rose cut diamonds set with a mirror polished metal backing, but the backless look certainly makes sense.

Reactions: JLS
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results