shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you have simmering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i know this is a ''what''s simmering?'' thread, and this probably falls more into that very sad thread ''jewelry i will never own but will want desperately till the day i die''...but here it is anyway...

in the back of my mind, i have wanted - and will no doubt always want -

platinum, channel set, square cut, alternating paraiba tourmalines and either emeralds or diamonds. the diamonds would be more stark, but the emeralds would be like looking into the tropical ocean.

sigh

the ring of my dreams - the one i will never have.

7.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Coati - i''m sorry it''s taken me so long to get back to you!

it''s been overcast and raining here for about 4 days now, and i''ve been waiting for a sunny day so i can get some good sparkly shots. it''s just not gonna happen tho for some days, so please excuse the dullness of these photos. i took a few :) and, as you can see by the mirror they''re sitting on, it was actually RAINING when we took them! so how is *that* for dedication! my husband is working from home today, and i dragged him outside, camera in hand, to get these! so - here''s the first one you wanted...

this was tim''s 10th anniversary gift to me (this was 15 years ago, tho!)

IMG_2397.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
sorry - i should have said - the color of the center stone in the above ring is an I, surrounding stones, all G. all stones SI1, cuts and other stats all varying as they were a motley crew combined into the one ring. and now i''m thinking - i should have taken some shots of the back of that ring; it''s BEAUTIFULY made and the cut outs at the back are gorgeous.

here''s one of my mabe pearl earrings with greek key pattern...

IMG_2405-1.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
you can see how dark it was when i took these! but you mentioned that you wanted to see my pearls. i wont photo graph all of them, but here''s my bracelet which i often wear with the aforementioned earrings...

IMG_2407.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
these last 2 are upcoming projects...

i bought these earrings in england a few years ago with the intention of having the insets removed and asscher cut diamonds inserted. the lighting really does these earrings an injustice; i actually bought them because they have lovely sparkle.

earrings2398.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ok - last one...

Coati - this is the stone i want to have set into a 3 stone. even on such a horrible day it still comes up lovely and clear. i''ve wondered about using the general idea of my flower ring - bezeled center stone with semi bezeled outside stones and bead setting on the inside where it joins the center stone.

anyway, just a thought...

IMG_2409.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:19:17 PM
Author: Upgradable
Ooooo..... that''s beautiful! I LOVE blue-green sapphire! Tourquoise too, for that matter. There''s a vintage Tiffany tourquoise ring surrounded by old mines online that I just drool over!

And ladies, no worries on the pups! If I had a pic of mine I''d post it too. They''re both rescue mutts, but they fit this family as if they were bred specially for us!
Pictures?

Pictures?
9.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:03:58 AM
Author: Harriet
Those are quite some sapphires, with their sharp stars. I''ll poke around and see what I can find. Do you like sugarloaves? ''Nite!

I do like sugarloaves, but I have never seen one in a round setting before.
They are quite beautiful, and I''d love to see anything you find.
I spoke with a turquoise source today. I would like to find blue/green American turquoise from the southwest if I can.
So that is a possibility.
What do you think about a ruby cab?
I am very lost with this project, and really appreciate your input Harriet!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:25:26 PM
Author: coatimundi
Date: 3/10/2009 8:01:37 PM

Author: iluvcarats

This is my current project, and it is my first colored stone.

The setting needs an 8.5 mm round.

I am currently sourcing a blue/green sapphire, hopefully cut from the same parcel as this one.

I collect old Native American jewelry, and love blue green turquoise, so I was drawn to this stone, but would love to hear other ideas you may have.

Very cool setting! I think an translucent-opaque stone could be really unique. I love the idea of turquoise. I also love (as you know) aquamarine cabachons--that could be cool--or also a blue-green tourmaline cab.

Have you thought about a chalcedony? Chrysocolla is greenish blue--I love the stuff!

This is not the right shape, but here''s an example of Chrysocolla color--just for fun--love this color!

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=997

Hi Coati!
Thanks for chiming in too!
I like the idea of a blue - green tourmaline cab.
Do you like the Mad. sapphire in the original picture, or do you think a cab would be better?
The chrysocolla is really pretty. It may be too soft for me though, as I am on the clumsy side
19.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:50:57 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hi Harriet - thankyou!
I am on pins and needles waiting - good thing I am so busy with work, study etc or I would likely drive
myself crazy, lol..
Patience, my dear.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:03:34 AM
Author: Catmom
I love this thread! My current project is an oval med-dark tsav I''m having set in a pendant. I''m so hoping it will be done this week.
Piccies?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:13:09 PM

Those are quite some sapphires, with their sharp stars. I''ll poke around and see what I can find. Do you like sugarloaves? ''Nite!

I spoke with a turquoise source today. I would like to find blue/green American turquoise from the southwest if I can.
A ruby cab would be fabulous and tough. I had a honker once, but the cutter messed up and it became a pyramid. I''m on the trail right now ...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:07:57 PM
Pictures?

Pictures?
9.gif
Dogs, Harriet?

Pictures?
9.gif

LS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t. I''m away from my home computer to May, you naughty girl.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
MAY?????

Where are you? Sunning your buns on some beach in Rio?

LS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, nowhere as glamorous -- South Beach.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:21:24 PM

Hi Coati!

Do you like the Mad. sapphire in the original picture, or do you think a cab would be better?

The chrysocolla is really pretty. It may be too soft for me though, as I am on the clumsy side
19.gif

I like the idea of a cab with that ring--would be a bit different. Such a pretty setting! What do you think? Would you rather do a faceted stone or a cab? I''m just cab crazed right now, so don''t mind me!
3.gif

Chrysocolla is so lovely--I really like that piece. I NEED a piece.

Are you open to other colors? What are your favorites besides blue-green?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 7:26:53 PM

A ruby cab would be fabulous and tough. I had a honker once, but the cutter messed up and it became a pyramid. I''m on the trail right now ...
Cab galore (you''d have to ask your jeweller to call them in from you, as they''re wholesale):
http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/view/6/

As for ruby cabs, the Tim Miller / John Saul mines are especially well-known. Give Eric of www.swalagemtraders a try.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:43:46 PM
Author: whitby_2773

Coati - i'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you!

it's been overcast and raining here for about 4 days now, and i've been waiting for a sunny day so i can get some good sparkly shots. it's just not gonna happen tho for some days, so please excuse the dullness of these photos. i took a few :) and, as you can see by the mirror they're sitting on, it was actually RAINING when we took them! so how is *that* for dedication! my husband is working from home today, and i dragged him outside, camera in hand, to get these! so - here's the first one you wanted...

this was tim's 10th anniversary gift to me (this was 15 years ago, tho!)

Aw--what a sweet 10th anni gift! It's really lovely whitby. I like this shot--sort of moody in the rain. What's the total diameter? You want to replicate it and make earrings?
31.gif
I love it as a ring, but earrings would be great too! Ahhhhh choices!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:27:59 PM
ok - last one...

Coati - this is the stone i want to have set into a 3 stone. even on such a horrible day it still comes up lovely and clear. i''ve wondered about using the general idea of my flower ring - bezeled center stone with semi bezeled outside stones and bead setting on the inside where it joins the center stone.

anyway, just a thought...

ah ok, I see what you mean. That could be very lovely! Cool idea for me to muse on too, for my 3 tran cuts. I''m still totally undecided. I need to see more options. It''s a lovely stone Whitby!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:22:35 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 4:43:46 PM

Coati - i''m sorry it''s taken me so long to get back to you!

it''s been overcast and raining here for about 4 days now, and i''ve been waiting for a sunny day so i can get some good sparkly shots. it''s just not gonna happen tho for some days, so please excuse the dullness of these photos. i took a few :) and, as you can see by the mirror they''re sitting on, it was actually RAINING when we took them! so how is *that* for dedication! my husband is working from home today, and i dragged him outside, camera in hand, to get these! so - here''s the first one you wanted...

this was tim''s 10th anniversary gift to me (this was 15 years ago, tho!)

Aw--what a sweet 10th anni gift! It''s really lovely whitby. I like this shot--sort of moody in the rain. What''s the total diameter? You want to replicate it and make earrings?
31.gif
I love it as a ring, but earrings would be great too! Ahhhhh choices!

i''m not sure of the total diameter, tho the total carat weight is about 2.4 ctw; .72 in the center, .20-.22 for the 8 surrounding stones. my earlobes are big - so small jewelry is wasted on me. i have studs which are 1.5ctw, and on me they look about 1 ct, so i''ve been thinking about doing a big pair of diamond earrings for a long time. i rarely wear this ring, so would probably get a lot more use from it as one of a pair.

i''ll keep you informed! fingers crossed!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:18:53 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 7:21:24 PM

Hi Coati!

19.gif

I like the idea of a cab with that ring--would be a bit different. Such a pretty setting! What do you think? Would you rather do a faceted stone or a cab? I''m just cab crazed right now, so don''t mind me!
3.gif

Chrysocolla is so lovely--I really like that piece. I NEED a piece.

Are you open to other colors? What are your favorites besides blue-green?

I am really lost here, so I very much appreciate all the help.
If I had my way, I would find an oec or a rose cut diamond or a natural colored diamond, but at 8.5mm those are all out of my budget.
I like all colors, but IMO some work better with yellow or rose gold.
I like the blues, greens, purples and reds, some pink.
I tend to really like stones with color variations in them - bi and tri colors because I find them interesting, but I don''t know if that is right for this setting. I''d love to hear what you think Coati!
Thanks!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:20:13 PM
Date: 3/11/2009 7:26:53 PM

Cab galore (you''d have to ask your jeweller to call them in from you, as they''re wholesale):

http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/view/6/

As for ruby cabs, the Tim Miller / John Saul mines are especially well-known. Give Eric of www.swalagemtraders a try.

Wow Harriet! I had never seen either of those sites before.
Thanks for sharing them! I will keep you posted!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pleasure. I think you can do better than Stachura, but it''ll give you an idea of the range of cabs out there.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:24:12 PM

Date: 3/11/2009 9:03:34 AM
Author: Catmom
I love this thread! My current project is an oval med-dark tsav I''m having set in a pendant. I''m so hoping it will be done this week.
Piccies?
Just a teaser pic. It was finished today so I should have it tomorrow or Friday.
3.gif

cmstsavpendant1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the colour!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Michelle, I love it. It is gorgeous and I can''t wait to see it on you. What a beautiful color.
36.gif
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
LOVE IT!

what great colour - and the setting looks beautifully made.

and to think! it will match the color of all your friends jealous faces when they see it!

:)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Harriet and Linda and LOL whitby! It was between this one and an absolutely gorgeous cushion but the cushion was a lighter green and this one matched the color of my tsav ring better.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies!
35.gif
I just wanted to revivie this thread and find out how everyone''s projects are going?

I noticed everyone is into gems here but I pretty much just like diamonds, which is a new obsession for me btw. Can I post my ideas in this thread? I don''t really have that would qualify now that I think of it.

I do have one idea requiring sapphires but I have no idea where I want to start. Maybe you guys could help me. I haven''t spent much time in this forum so perhaps I need to look around for some inspiration.

Linda W
35.gif
...what are those in your avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results