shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you have simmering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:38:51 AM
Author: Upgradable
I just wanted to say....... Whitby, you look gorgeous!!

I wish I could see the pretty sparkly dress you are wearing. Did you have a good time?

thanks Up! we had a FABULOUS time! my husband was by FAR the best looking man there (of course!) and the food was spectacular. it was a private dinner for about 56, i think i counted. and it was done in the old french style of the 1800''s - it was one of ''Zagat''s vintage dinner series'' dinners. there were can can dancers (MUCH ruder when you see them up close!!), 2 burlesque performers who did their thing in period french burlesque outfits (and those old time french types were pretty raunchy, i''m here to tell you, if these ladies were anything to go by!), there was a very good chantreuse with a small band who sang old school french dinner music and she was dressed as a circus ringmaster - top hat, tails, then...um...stockings, suspender belt, underwear and high heels... there were waiters EVERYWHERE, more black tie than you could shake a stick at, 4 ft candelabras with bunches of grapes and vines everywhere. we had 7 different courses, drank 7 types of vintage wine...i mean, this was spectacular. all in the private dining room of Le Bernardin - New Yorks finest french seafood restaurant (and many would argue one of the three finest restaurants in the US). it was colorful, magical, ever so slightly debauched, and amazing fun.

but much more to the point...

see my jewelry? :D i had on my newly repaired earrings, my flower ring (which i really do want to get changed to earrings), and my facet''s eternity band which i got on sale about 18 months ago; 2.68ctw for $2850 - can you believe it?!

31.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, oh man, oh man!! What a great evening!! I''m glad you enjoyed it.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:34:06 AM
Author: whitby_2773

coati -

i'm with you on wanting to protect the bezel! what do you think of *this* sort of arrangement but with 3 round cuts?

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Sapphire-Lunar-Elegance-Ring.htm

i was thinking of a shared bezel, or even like the one above, an open bezel. i dont think having no bezel between the center stone and the one on either side would compromise the stones - what do you think?

i LOVE the three stone link you posted; i'm struggling - and i do mean struggling - to resist *this:

http://www.vonbargens.com/catalog/detail.php?product=3419&category=1385

if you bring up that link and scroll through the extra pictures that come up with you enlarge it, you'll see what i mean - the workmanship is amazing!

my other option is simply to swap out the golden sapphire in my new three stone ring for a diamond, but then we're starting to talk *really* big bucks!

the photo was taken about 10 minutes ago, having just returned from the very full on black tie dinner i attended with tim. i'm wearing my bezel set diamond flower ring. i'm thinking about converting that to an earring (shepherds hook) and having another one made to match. i broke that to tim this evening and i think he mentally threw his hands in the air!

:D

Very cute pic of you Whitby! Is that a macbook pic by chance?:)

I'm not too keen on the jewelry expert setting. I like a little metal between stones.

The vonbargen's one is really pretty--classic plat 3 stone. I am torn between the classic prong 3 stone like the SS and the JM/CM style. I have an oval 3 stone already, and that's pretty classic. I have a JM solitaire, but not a JM 3 stone, so that would be different eh? I've told myself that all my rings MUST look different from each other, or what's the point?? haha

Can you post a pic of the bezel flower ring? It glows in that photo!
Haha about your hubby *mentally* throwing his hands in the air--my hubby used to throw his hands in the air, but he is now in the acceptance stage--no eyebrow raising, no questions, and we have been married for 1.5 years.

Glad you had fun at your dinner!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:14:10 AM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/10/2009 12:06:14 AM
Author: Harriet

Date: 3/9/2009 10:56:45 PM
Harriet:

Come play over here. We''re all posting pics of our furkids!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/furry-babies.107133/

LS
Hi, Hi,
How are you?
I''m away and don''t have digital pictures of Things 1 and 2 aka the Thungs.
Hello Harriet
Thank you for asking. I''m doing ok. It is now 7 weeks post-op and I''m feeling less fragile than before. I started going back to work on Friday for a few hours...but the ole'' brain isn''t quite up to speed yet. So I''m going in every couple of days for 3-4 hours and then home to nap. Things are healing nicely but it is still quite early.

Things 1 and 2 ''the Thungs''? or do you mean ''the Thugs?'' Mine (Robbie & ToTo are ''the Hooligans!). I LOVE my dogs.

LS
What counts is that you''re progressing!
36.gif

They are the Thung Thugs! Haha. The Hooligans and the Thugs! I bet you love them. How can you not? Help me concoct an argument for Thung 3.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:30:01 PM
Author: whitby_2773
thanks Up! we had a FABULOUS time! my husband was by FAR the best looking man there (of course!) and the food was spectacular. it was a private dinner for about 56, i think i counted. and it was done in the old french style of the 1800''s - it was one of ''Zagat''s vintage dinner series'' dinners. there were can can dancers (MUCH ruder when you see them up close!!), 2 burlesque performers who did their thing in period french burlesque outfits (and those old time french types were pretty raunchy, i''m here to tell you, if these ladies were anything to go by!), there was a very good chantreuse with a small band who sang old school french dinner music and she was dressed as a circus ringmaster - top hat, tails, then...um...stockings, suspender belt, underwear and high heels... there were waiters EVERYWHERE, more black tie than you could shake a stick at, 4 ft candelabras with bunches of grapes and vines everywhere. we had 7 different courses, drank 7 types of vintage wine...i mean, this was spectacular. all in the private dining room of Le Bernardin - New Yorks finest french seafood restaurant (and many would argue one of the three finest restaurants in the US). it was colorful, magical, ever so slightly debauched, and amazing fun.

but much more to the point...

see my jewelry? :D i had on my newly repaired earrings, my flower ring (which i really do want to get changed to earrings), and my facet''s eternity band which i got on sale about 18 months ago; 2.68ctw for $2850 - can you believe it?!

31.gif
Are the Zagat dinners by invitation only? Have you ever tried the James Beard ones?

Ok, back to jewellery...your flower ring would make an awesome dangle.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 10:54:34 AM
Author: arjunajane
Ok I''ll bite!
Fun idea for a thread up ! Will we put updates and progress reports on our projects in here?
I have a number of smaller, non-precious gem things going on in the etsy thread - but in more important matters......
I''m sure you guys have seen this around, but what the heck
3.gif

This 3.1ct 8.5mm umbalite garnet, cut by Gene at Precision Gem, is currently in JM''s capable hands waiting to be set into it''s pretty home
9.gif

vendor pic
precision%20cushion%20umbalite.jpg

Jim''s pic - it will be going in this mounting in 18k YG, with plat wraps and bezel
30.gif

JM%20new%20bezel2.jpg

and a pic of mine, showing some more colours..

I do have a bunch more stuff in both diamonds and CS that will happen eventually, but this is my most immediate and exciting project
5.gif
AJ,
That is one beauty!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 5:39:20 PM

They are the Thung Thugs! Haha. The Hooligans and the Thugs! I bet you love them. How can you not? Help me concoct an argument for Thung 3.
2.gif
I have MORE fun since getting the 2nd dog. For years we just had Toto....I'd have a 3rd in a MINUTE but am having difficulty coming up with an argument myself.....that's MY simmering project!

You have to post their pics...here are the Hooligans
(sorry for the threadjack upgradeable but we dog lovers are incorrigible - although, TECHNICALLY speaking, you didnt' specify what kind of project, right?
31.gif
)

Robbie Burns on the left
Toto on the right (he's almost 16 yrs old the old guy)

LS

Foo175.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are adorable. Toto doesn''t look 16. I had a feisty little chap by the same name too (half Shih Tzu, half Silky Terrier). I''m away from home or I''d post the Thungs'' pictures.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:04:13 PM
They are adorable. Toto doesn''t look 16. I had a feisty little chap by the same name too (half Shih Tzu, half Silky Terrier). I''m away from home or I''d post the Thungs'' pictures.
Thanks Harriet. Hope you can post their pics (I saw the ones you posted in my surgery thread if I remember correctly). But MORE is always better when it comes to furkids.

I could watch my dogs all day long.

LS

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
This is my current project, and it is my first colored stone.
The setting needs an 8.5 mm round.
I am currently sourcing a blue/green sapphire, hopefully cut from the same parcel as this one.
I collect old Native American jewelry, and love blue green turquoise, so I was drawn to this stone, but would love to hear other ideas you may have.

ringproject.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo..... that''s beautiful! I LOVE blue-green sapphire! Tourquoise too, for that matter. There''s a vintage Tiffany tourquoise ring surrounded by old mines online that I just drool over!

And ladies, no worries on the pups! If I had a pic of mine I''d post it too. They''re both rescue mutts, but they fit this family as if they were bred specially for us!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:19:17 PM
Author: Upgradable
Ooooo..... that''s beautiful! I LOVE blue-green sapphire! Tourquoise too, for that matter. There''s a vintage Tiffany tourquoise ring surrounded by old mines online that I just drool over!

And ladies, no worries on the pups! If I had a pic of mine I''d post it too. They''re both rescue mutts, but they fit this family as if they were bred specially for us!

Thanks Upgradable!
I think I know the exact ring you are talking about! (size 4 LOL)
I love that one too
30.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just stumbled on, and did not yet get into, this thread. I am very tired and not feeling very well. All day I have been trying to post photos of a bracelet I bought a few days ago but I couldn't quite do it. I may be able to do it tonight. If I do, it will be in a new thread in Jewelry Pieces. I just wanted to let everyone on this thread know that I have found it and am looking forward to reading it the way I look forward to a good book I have waiting for me to open. Whether I get to it tomorrow or the next day, I know that it is here. That's the way it is with books. That's why I love books. They wait for you. I am so happy that I saw this with so many of my favorite posters talking about jewelry and so many pretty pictures that I will want to put together with the storyline once I read the thread!

Forgive my rambling; it is my exhaustion. Things on the domestic front have not been smooth...and this time the problem is not marital :).

Deborah
34.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:15:48 PM
Author: AGBF

I just stumbled on, and did not yet get into, this thread. I am very tired and not feeling very well. All day I have been trying to post photos of a bracelet I bought a few days ago but I couldn''t quite do it. I may be able to do it tonight. If I do, it will be in a new thread in Jewelry Pieces. I just wanted to let everyone on this thread know that I have found it and am looking forward to reading it the way I look forward to a good book I have waiting for me to open. Whether I get to it tomorrow or the next day, I know that it is here. That''s the way it is with books. That''s why I love books. They wait for you. I am so happy that I saw this with so many of my favorite posters talking about jewelry and so many pretty pictures that I will want to put together with the storyline once I read the thread!

Forgive my rambling; it is my exhaustion. Things on the domestic front have not been smooth...and this time the problem is not marital :).

Deborah

34.gif

I know we don''t *talk* often Deb, but wanted to say that I am sorry you are going through some hard times
7.gif

I really hope thing brighten up for you soon.
Take good care.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:32:07 PM
Thanks Harriet. Hope you can post their pics (I saw the ones you posted in my surgery thread if I remember correctly). But MORE is always better when it comes to furkids.

I could watch my dogs all day long.

LS
That''s right. You''ve seen them. I could watch them all day too. Myrtle is especially entertaining.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm confused. Are you set on that setting or on the stone? I'd be happy to help on the stone front.
3.gif

Date: 3/10/2009 8:01:37 PM
Author: iluvcarats
I am currently sourcing a blue/green sapphire, hopefully cut from the same parcel as this one.
I collect old Native American jewelry, and love blue green turquoise, so I was drawn to this stone, but would love to hear other ideas you may have.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:16:19 PM

I''m confused. Are you set on that setting or on the stone?

I have the setting, and I am currently looking for a stone. I like the blue green sapphire, but haven''t bought anything yet.
What would you put in there Harriet?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd put a cabochon into that setting. The setting is nicely detailed so a cab would lend contrast. But, you should put what you like.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:15:48 PM
Author: AGBF

I just stumbled on, and did not yet get into, this thread. I am very tired and not feeling very well. All day I have been trying to post photos of a bracelet I bought a few days ago but I couldn''t quite do it. I may be able to do it tonight. If I do, it will be in a new thread in Jewelry Pieces. I just wanted to let everyone on this thread know that I have found it and am looking forward to reading it the way I look forward to a good book I have waiting for me to open. Whether I get to it tomorrow or the next day, I know that it is here. That''s the way it is with books. That''s why I love books. They wait for you. I am so happy that I saw this with so many of my favorite posters talking about jewelry and so many pretty pictures that I will want to put together with the storyline once I read the thread!

Deborah

34.gif

hi deborah :)

we havent met yet i think - but my name is kareyn. hi! :)

i just wanted to say that i read your post and i''m so sorry things have been tough for you recently. please take your time posting photos of your bracelet - but - when you do, i''ll look forward to seeing it. this is the thread for all new things, all dreams and plans - those that happen and those that never see the light of day.

i hope i get to know you better in times ahead.

thinking of you, and hoping things improve, :)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:22:36 PM
I''d put a cabochon into that setting. The setting is nicely detailed so a cab would lend contrast. But, you should put what you like.

That''s a great idea Harriet! I will do some looking! Thanks
35.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to warn you. The first gem marks the point of no return!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:34:43 PM
I have to warn you. The first gem marks the point of no return!

LOL! uh oh!

What do you think of an iolite or a moonstone?
Or maybe even turquoise?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re both too soft. Since you like turquoise, go for it!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:07:57 PM
They''re both too soft. Since you like turquoise, go for it!

That might be really beautiful.
I''ll look into it. Thanks for your help!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
May I join you on your hunt?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:37:40 PM
May I join you on your hunt?

I would consider it an honor!

Here are two Sapphire cabs that I like.
Both are too big, but I sent off an email in hopes they may have something.
Your expertise is much appreciated Harriet.
I would love too here any suggestions you may have.

Have to go to bed now! Goodnight!

2cabs.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are quite some sapphires, with their sharp stars. I''ll poke around and see what I can find. Do you like sugarloaves? ''Nite!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Harriet - thankyou!
I am on pins and needles waiting - good thing I am so busy with work, study etc or I would likely drive
myself crazy, lol..

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread! My current project is an oval med-dark tsav I''m having set in a pendant. I''m so hoping it will be done this week.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

Very cool setting! I think an translucent-opaque stone could be really unique. I love the idea of turquoise. I also love (as you know) aquamarine cabachons--that could be cool--or also a blue-green tourmaline cab.

Have you thought about a chalcedony? Chrysocolla is greenish blue--I love the stuff!

This is not the right shape, but here's an example of Chrysocolla color--just for fun--love this color!

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=997

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results