shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you have simmering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Whitby and I have decided we need to have a place we can talk about the excessive numbers of projects we have in the pipeline without scaring the newbies or getting in the way of legitimate quests for info in Rocky Talk or to detract from the new beauties posted in Show Me the Ring.

So, let me start by saying, "Hello! My name is Uppy, and I''m a sparkly addict." I have some compelling need to adopt any beautiful vintage diamond and give it a loving home. This means that at any given time I have multiple loose stones in my possession and uncompleted projects in the works. I seriously need an intervention!

I think each project needs it''s own post, so I''m not going to stuff this one full of everything that''s brewing in my loopy brain right now, but I will give the specs on my first start to finish design project.

About a year ago I started a quest to find a vintage five stone band that would give nice coverage to my sausagy size 8 fingers. I searched ebay to no avail. Rings were either too small in carat weight, too beat up looking, or waaaay to expensive! So I started collecting loose stones, all oecs between .25 and .40 carats found from various vendors on ebay. Pretty soon I had five (okay, more than five) stones that complimented each other nicely, so I started searching for mountings. I didn''t think I''d have a difficult time finding a vintage style mount that would put the stones front and center, but I was wrong. I had my local jeweler order a couple of Stuller mounts, but they didn''t make my heart sing for one reason or another.

At this time Wink Jones also announced that he had a new bench jeweler that he was working with who had the chops to create some beautiful new designs. In order to see what they could do, he offered a special discount to the first few people who would commit to designing and following through with a piece from this bench. I stepped up to the plate.

What followed was a series of CAD designs, which were then tweaked, and then a relatively short but anxious wait for the final product. I was inspired by a stock piece from Stuller, but had it modified with the intent that the yellow gold "grow vines which curled up and embraced the stones." I''m attaching links to the process.

In the end, I love the piece, and highly recommend Wink Jones as a wonderfully easy person to work with!

THREAD: Please help me pick my five stone setting

THREAD: CADs for my entry into the five stone club

THREAD: Upgradable''s OEC Five Stone Ring w/ PICTURES

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok I'll bite!
Fun idea for a thread up ! Will we put updates and progress reports on our projects in here?
I have a number of smaller, non-precious gem things going on in the etsy thread - but in more important matters......
I'm sure you guys have seen this around, but what the heck
3.gif

This 3.1ct 8.5mm umbalite garnet, cut by Gene at Precision Gem, is currently in JM's capable hands waiting to be set into it's pretty home
9.gif

vendor pic
precision%20cushion%20umbalite.jpg

Jim's pic - it will be going in this mounting in 18k YG, with plat wraps and bezel
30.gif

JM%20new%20bezel2.jpg

and a pic of mine, showing some more colours..

I do have a bunch more stuff in both diamonds and CS that will happen eventually, but this is my most immediate and exciting project
5.gif

DSC02328.jpg1.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Oh, man oh man oh man!!! I can''t wait to see a JM with a colored stone! That ought to be a stunner! What is the expected "due date"?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 10:56:04 AM
Author: Upgradable
Oh, man oh man oh man!!! I can''t wait to see a JM with a colored stone! That ought to be a stunner! What is the expected ''due date''?
Hey up - you an me both, lol !
My umby just arrived the other day - not sure when the start date is (I get the impression he is busy atm), but he said 3 weeks to create...than about another week to reach me....hence you can see why I have been spending up on etsy !
40.gif
41.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
upgradable....

I HEAR YOU!

wow - i think we''re kindred sisters - from our size 8 fingers to our ongoing projects!

and thank you SO much for those links! you know - your stones in your ring are, i think, exactly the same size as mine! mine are .25 x 2, .32 x 2, and i need a .40 to finish it off. i collected my various stones over various projects - left over bits and pieces - but since i always use more or less identical grade stones when using brilliants, they''re a good match. i did have 2 unset 5mm stones (.46 and .47) but i''ve just had them set either side of my .83 engagement stone; i''m a ring junkie! altho..i suppose we all are here...

i''ve also been thinking about doing something with my studs. they''re about 1.5 in total, G SI1, and ideal cut. i''ve been thinking about a lever back design, but have also thought about having them halo set, and *then* done as leverback drops - what do you think?

i also have a GORGEOUS 1.12 transitional cut (i think) stone, very clear and beautiful fire, J/K color which i''m thinking about having matched up with .65 side stones by GOG for another triple. (i can hear my husband groaning from his office next door - and he doesn''t even know what i''m saying!!) and i also have a 2.35ct flower design ring which i''m thinking of matching up with a second one, and turning into drop earrings. soooo many options, so few significant events to pin ''em to!

and next year is my 50th birthday! and since pearls are my birthstone, tim, my husband, is planning on giving me a pair of pearl and diamond earrings - 15mm south sea pearls, each with 3 .25 diamonds above it in a triangle shape on a shepherd''s hook design. so - 2 15mm pearls and 1.5 ct in diamonds. they should be breathtaking. well, they''ll take MY breath away, and that''s all i care about. :)

upgradable - i LOVE your ring. do you wear it a lot and does it give you a lot of pleasure when you do? you must get a STACK of compliments on it!

just love it :D

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane- that is going to be SPECTACULAR! I can't wait to see it!

Upgradable - holy moly that 5 stone is a BEAUTY!!!

I've got 2 things in the works right now. The first isn't so much a project as it is a lust, LOL. I'm saving up for bezel studs. One... more.. month. I think. LOL.

After that I have a homeless star sapphire and a pair of earrings that need to be reset. They were my Grammy's. I found out that there is a good chance they are synthetic, but I love them nonetheless.

I can't decide what to do with them though! Should I save and have them set in white gold, or have an etsy designer work her magic in silver?

Argh.

Opinions?

ETA: Here they are:

starsapphhand.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane!! you lucky woman you!

your new JM ring is going to be swoonworthy! the color of that gem with YG will Be. Just. Yummy.

and upgradable, i''ve been looking almost constantly at your 5 stone ring since you posted it, and i think it''s a good thing we never ran into each other in the street; i would have been jumping you in a back alley somewhere - and not in a good way!

it''s a knock out. you gals all have such incredible jewelry!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Dani, I love those stars!! I don''t think having them set in sterling would diminish them at all! It would be really cool to have all of them similarly themed in handwrought sterling silver! Do you have specific design in mind?

Whitby, I gave up on relying on DH to buy me jewelry long ago! He''s a terrific guy, but he missed out on the romantic gene. I don''t mind. It means I get to choose what and when to buy!! And as for waiting for significant dates to recognize....ppfftttt!

I''m currently waiting for the call from my jeweler to pick up the diamond dangles that are in process. I took two .30 oecs in and they are making platinum dangles ala piccolascimmia''s. I can''t wait!! But then I''ll have .70 transitional wg martini studs and .60 oec dangles. I need something in yellow gold! Do I reset the .70s? Or do I take a couple other of the loose stones that I have (possibly the .41 and .43 I''m holding for the three stone ring) and have a set of yellow dangles made? Oh, the decisions!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I know I want them bezeled. The earrings especially I want in just a simple, thin bezel to get them as flat to my ear as possible. As for the main stone.... I want it back in a ring. Bezeled. And beyond that I'm stumped.

(I had the large sapphire taken out in the same fiasco as my original reset. Lost the 4 original diamonds that were in the old ring in the process as well.
14.gif
. They also turned the old clipons into studs... that stick out too far... as I thought they would. *sigh* Oh how much I have learned since then!!!

Part of me feels bad putting them in silver since they came to me in gold... and part of me just wants them wearable again!!!

The pendant is still functional but not.... not my style. And the clasp/bale is broken anyway.
19.gif

ETA: Maybe something in a hammered finish? Hmmmm... any ideas or inspiration welcome!

Upgradable - I would totally set some of your other loose beauties into dangles or studs in YG!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Dani, I think sterling silver gets a bad rap! It is a beautiful metal in its own right, with a different, but equally beautiful look as platinum! Just because it is less expensive right now than gold or platinum, doesn''t equate to it being "cheap"! Remember that the biggest and best crown jewels of Europe were mounted in silver, as it was the only "white metal" used for jewelry! I think there are many talented artisans who could craft beautiful silver mountings for your stones. I think the hammered texture wold be beautiful! As long as the pieces are taken care of properly, they will have just as long a life mounted in silver as in gold or platinum.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks upgradable.
5.gif
You made me feel better! In that case... I think I shall now go through every single etsy designer I can find until I find the right person! Any suggestions?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
upgradable -

how about a pair of your loose stones into plat bezel, then in yellow gold a la JM? he does the double bezel a lot, and it''s great because it doesnt compromise the color of the stone, but also doesnt make a setting so white that it minimizes the stone''s sparkle. would be a lovely way to build them up, too. how about something like *this*?

JMearrings.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
very pretty, but I have tiny earlobes, and they''re dwarfed by anything of size.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:03:28 PM
Author: geckodani
Thanks upgradable.
5.gif
You made me feel better! In that case... I think I shall now go through every single etsy designer I can find until I find the right person! Any suggestions?

absolutely! here''s something by chris ploof - who will happily work in silver (this piece was custom made in silver and is the sort of thing which could incorporate your stones) chris is a great respecter of silver, and i love his custom work.

chrisploof.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:14:04 PM
Author: whitby_2773

Date: 3/9/2009 12:03:28 PM
Author: geckodani
Thanks upgradable.
5.gif

absolutely! here''s something by chris ploof - who will happily work in silver (this piece was custom made in silver and is the sort of thing which could incorporate your stones) chris is a great respecter of silver, and i love his custom work.
Do you have the link to a website I can check out?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
you betcha.

www.chrisploof.com

he did our replacement wedding rings - and they''re GORGEOUS!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 10:54:34 AM
Author: arjunajane
Ok I''ll bite!
Fun idea for a thread up ! Will we put updates and progress reports on our projects in here?
I have a number of smaller, non-precious gem things going on in the etsy thread - but in more important matters......
I''m sure you guys have seen this around, but what the heck
3.gif

This 3.1ct 8.5mm umbalite garnet, cut by Gene at Precision Gem, is currently in JM''s capable hands waiting to be set into it''s pretty home
9.gif

I do have a bunch more stuff in both diamonds and CS that will happen eventually, but this is my most immediate and exciting project
5.gif
Ugh!! I cannot wait for you to get this ring AJ!!!!!

WAAAAAAYYYY down the pipeline, I''m dying to get a stone similar to AJs (love those raspberry Umb.) set in this (but two tone-- either green gold on white or white on green)-- Haha-- it''ll be so long before I get this done, but I''ve already given JM the heads up
3.gif
:

JMgreensapph.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
May I play?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, yes, PLEASE!!!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:05:02 PM
Author: Harriet
May I play?

yes pls! the more people who join in, the less...er...compulsive Upgradable and I look.

:D

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:58:50 PM
Author: paeony
Date: 3/9/2009 10:54:34 AM

Author: arjunajane

Ok I'll bite!

I'm sure you guys have seen this around, but what the heck
3.gif

This 3.1ct 8.5mm umbalite garnet, cut by Gene at Precision Gem, is currently in JM's capable hands waiting to be set into it's pretty home
9.gif

5.gif
Ugh!! I cannot wait for you to get this ring AJ!!!!!

WAAAAAAYYYY down the pipeline, I'm dying to get a stone similar to AJs (love those raspberry Umb.) set in this (but two tone-- either green gold on white or white on green)-- Haha-- it'll be so long before I get this done, but I've already given JM the heads up
3.gif
:

YUM! Both of you!

Up, am I allowed to play?

I have a Meyer 3 stone plan working it's way through my brain--with that, I'd like to get a cool yg band.

I'm talking with an Etsy seller about setting my aqua.

And another Etsy seller is going to reset some studs for me.

And the list goes on and on and on...

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi coati - by all means, join in :)

do you have any photos of what you''re planning? i''ve heard talk of your three stone ring - i''d love to see your ideas. i''m planning one myself (see above) and would love any ideas you might have.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:10:39 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 1:05:02 PM
May I play?

yes pls! the more people who join in, the less...er...compulsive Upgradable and I look.

:D
Here goes:
1. Leon is currently setting my spessartite as a ring.
2. I am buying a Mahenge spinel.
3. I am shopping for a Tsavorite.

It gets worse. What timeline are we talking about?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
lol harriet - into eternity?

for myself, i''m talking about between now and the end of next year.

i love your comment tho - "it gets worse"...

:)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitby,
It really does get worse. Based on your timeline:

1. Leon will be making me a pair of tsavorite-diamond dangles.
2. I'd like to set my French cuts.
3. I'd like to set my new spinel.
4. I'd like to set my mint tourmalines.
5. I'd like to set my baby Paraibas. There's a gold earring, necklace and bracelet set I'm eyeing.

I'd happily forgo all of the above for a Shih Tzu, but my husband is horrified by the idea of a third dog.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Coati - which Etsy vendors are you using, if I may ask?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
sounds wonderful, harriet!

what are you planning for the spinel?

and i have three dogs too - but they''re setters!! that''s a whooooole lotta canine!

have you picked a style for the earrings leon is making? i''d love to hear more about them...

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
31.gif

Date: 3/9/2009 2:04:02 PM
Whitby,
It really does get worse. Based on your timeline:

1. Leon will be making me a pair of tsavorite-diamond dangles.
2. I''d like to set my French cuts.
3. I''d like to set my new spinel.
4. There''s a gold earring, necklace and bracelet set I''m eyeing.

I''d happily forgo all of the above for a Shih Tzu, but my husband is horrified by the idea of a third dog.
Oooh I love French cuts-- do you have these posted anywhere?
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:20:19 PM

sounds wonderful, harriet!

what are you planning for the spinel?

and i have three dogs too - but they''re setters!! that''s a whooooole lotta canine!

have you picked a style for the earrings leon is making? i''d love to hear more about them...
The spinel will be set as a ring, but it''s so new that I don''t have a design for it. The earrings will have a round tsavorite, followed by marquise diamonds set at different angles, and will end with a cushion tsavorite.

Are yours rambunctious? Are they related? Do they have distinct personalities? I could talk about dogs forever...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:21:15 PM
Author: paeony
31.gif

Oooh I love French cuts-- do you have these posted anywhere?
31.gif
Unfortunately, I can''t get good shots. Ok, I''m a lazy and terrible photographer, despite several people''s help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results