shape
carat
color
clarity

What craze have you held out against?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OOOH, you guys reminded me... I have more to add!!!

HAVE ALWAYS RESISTED:
Fake nails
Tanning beds
Anything vampire
14.gif

Crocs
QVC

And I''m TRYING DESPERATELY to resist the Wii but I may be losing my mojo on that!
2.gif

(This thread is FUN!!!)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 4:02:33 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 11/10/2009 3:49:50 PM
Author: ladypirate

Date: 11/10/2009 3:32:50 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 11/10/2009 3:06:58 PM

Author: EBree

Date: 11/10/2009 2:55:23 PM

Twilight. Seriously. I just cannot stand a main character that vapid.

Not only that, but I hear (and someone correct me if I''m wrong, since I haven''t read them) that in the books, the relationship between Edward and Bella is an abusive and co-dependent one. And these books are marketed to teenage girls?
40.gif

Very true. That really disturbed me, especially thinking about my little sister reading them! Edward stalks her (creeps into her room at night for WEEKS!), and then in the third book he doesn''t want her to go somewhere, so he takes out part of her car''s engine so she can''t ''sneak'' away. It is NOT a healthy relationship at all. It''s definitely a relationship more suited for a bodice ripper than a book that 12 year olds are reading!

No kidding--creepy! Also, how are people thinking it''s a good thing that she gets married and knocked up right out of high school??? I''ve also heard the books referred to as a way to indoctrinate people (specifically young girls) into the mormon faith, which is just creepy.
Obviously can''t say too much about that, but I will say that it''s VERY obvious what the author believes and the way it manifests itself in Edward and Bella''s relationship is frightening to many of us to do not feel the same way. It makes me wonder if she knows this relationship is unhealthy, or if she wrote this as an ideal relationship from her point of view.
I read an article in a newspaper about the relationship between Bella and Edward when the Twilight movie came out. The author didn''t think it was a good idea for teenage girls to emulate characters like Bella... Something about Edward telling her he could hurt/kill/turn her and her saying "I don''t care!"??!! Erm, if a guy I''m with said something like that, I''d be out of there before you can say "vampire"...
32.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 4:30:02 PM
Author: Bia
Date: 11/10/2009 4:25:32 PM

Author: thing2of2

Date: 11/10/2009 2:23:40 PM

10.gif

Date: 11/10/2009 2:10:40 PM

Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They''re acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can''t show!

I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn''t expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I''m not the kind of person who stands around and says ''That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!'' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don''t judge her because she''s 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn''t let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don''t know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don''t know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was ''cooler'' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Although I stand by that Crocs should only be found in the gardening section. <<protest>> No More Crocs! No More Crocs!

Ah, but just because they''re readily available doesn''t mean they''re fashionable! Uggs are different because they''ve NEVER been fashionable! Trendy, yes, fashionable, NO!

As you can see I have strong feelings on this!
9.gif

ETA we are in complete agreement on Crocs, though!
Hey, I saw Carrie Bradshaw wearing them boots on TV! ESPLAIN THAT ONE TO MEEEEE.

25.gif

Ha, oh snap! My esplanation is that Carrie was taking the trash out and wore her slippers outside to do it!
25.gif

P.S. I have the box set of SATC and have seen them all and I don''t remember her wearing Uggs! I''m so embarrassed for her now!
3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I couldn''t fully grasp the whole Bella wanting to get married (to a vampire, no less!) right out of high school thing either. A friend of mine was hooked on the series, and she just kept saying that it was a great love story. Yeah, okay, a love story between a high school girl and a 100+ year old VAMPIRE. Sure, that''d really happen!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 7:28:06 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Yeah, I couldn''t fully grasp the whole Bella wanting to get married (to a vampire, no less!) right out of high school thing either. A friend of mine was hooked on the series, and she just kept saying that it was a great love story. Yeah, okay, a love story between a high school girl and a 100+ year old VAMPIRE. Sure, that''d really happen!

I am with you guys on Twilight! Though I must admit I did read the books and found them entertaining in a weird way. But the whole premise is warped; the main characters are terrible (outside of Jacob.) And what a horrendous writer the author is! I clearly had stronger writing skills at the age of 10 than she holds as an adult. Yikes. Bella =
14.gif
and Edward = abusive and controlling.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 7:31:38 PM
Author: icekid

I am with you guys on Twilight! Though I must admit I did read the books and found them entertaining in a weird way. But the whole premise is warped; the main characters are terrible (outside of Jacob.) And what a horrendous writer the author is! I clearly had stronger writing skills at the age of 10 than she holds as an adult. Yikes. Bella =
14.gif

Not to mention the whole werewolf imprinting thing. How creepy is that? "Oh hi there infant. I''m just going to hang out and stare at you until you start menstruating. Then we can totally do it."

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 7:42:59 PM
Date: 11/10/2009 7:31:38 PM

Author: icekid

14.gif

Not to mention the whole werewolf imprinting thing. How creepy is that? ''Oh hi there infant. I''m just going to hang out and stare at you until you start menstruating. Then we can totally do it.''

OH, I totally forgot about that. VERY creepy! Who would even dream that up in her head?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 7:26:33 PM

10.gif

Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They're acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can't show!
I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn't expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I'm not the kind of person who stands around and says 'That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don't judge her because she's 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn't let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don't know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don't know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was 'cooler' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Although I stand by that Crocs should only be found in the gardening section. <<protest>> No More Crocs! No More Crocs!

Ah, but just because they're readily available doesn't mean they're fashionable! Uggs are different because they've NEVER been fashionable! Trendy, yes, fashionable, NO!

9.gif

Hey, I saw Carrie Bradshaw wearing them boots on TV! ESPLAIN THAT ONE TO MEEEEE.
25.gif
Ha, oh snap! My esplanation is that Carrie was taking the trash out and wore her slippers outside to do it!
25.gif

P.S. I have the box set of SATC and have seen them all and I don't remember her wearing Uggs! I'm so embarrassed for her now!
3.gif
I got that box set too baby
31.gif
. Two episodes you'll see those UGGS. One when Carrie is writing at home and one with Samantha (she's tokin' at home with Smith). True, they are both home, I'll give you that. But...
Guess what I found? pics from the set of SATC 2: Ms. Carrie Bradshaw, wearing stone wash skinnies and beige UGGS! I guess UGGS AND stone-wash are back? Watch out! hehehe
10.gif

UGGS are good for your feet Thing. Goooooooood
27.gif
36.gif

satc.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 8:37:01 PM
Date: 11/10/2009 7:26:33 PM

10.gif

Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They''re acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can''t show!

I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn''t expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I''m not the kind of person who stands around and says ''That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!'' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don''t judge her because she''s 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn''t let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don''t know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don''t know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was ''cooler'' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Ah, but just because they''re readily available doesn''t mean they''re fashionable! Uggs are different because they''ve NEVER been fashionable! Trendy, yes, fashionable, NO!

9.gif

25.gif

25.gif

P.S. I have the box set of SATC and have seen them all and I don''t remember her wearing Uggs! I''m so embarrassed for her now!
3.gif

I got that box set too baby
31.gif
. Two episodes you''ll see those UGGS. One when Carrie is writing at home and one with Samantha (she''s tokin'' at home with Smith). True, they are both home, I''ll give you that. But...

Guess what I found? pics from the set of SATC 2: Ms. Carrie Bradshaw, wearing stone wash skinnies and beige UGGS! I guess UGGS AND stone-wash are back? Watch out! hehehe
10.gif

UGGS are good for your feet Thing. Goooooooood
27.gif
36.gif

Ha, I was RIGHT! Slippers, not shoes!
3.gif
As for the *actual* SJP wearing Uggs, she also wears these little beauties by Maison Martin Margiela!
6.gif
And even though Margiela is technically fashionable, those shoes are ATROCIOUS! So my esplanation this time is that the real SJP has bad shoe taste!
25.gif

sjp1-1.jpg

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I was in J Crew today, and they had skinny belts on everything. Even the down vests. What''s up with that?
33.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No:

Uggs
Sungies
Leggings
Twilight
Skinny Jeans
Fake nails
Tatoos
Crocs
Wearing anything with any writing on the butt

Yes:

Mac, Ipod, I phone (but there was a Mac in my house since I was 4, so it was the normal computer for me growing up).
Facebook, Twitter - but I don''t tweet, just follow
Coach
I don''t have a Wii yet, but I am thinking about getting one

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
any social networking, and anything with "i" in front of it...
just not interested..*shrugs*

also haven''t had anything to do with twilight, but must admit to curiosity..

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
IMO, Twilight is soooooo bad for young girls. I never did read the last book...
I guess it was supposed to be a raunchy story for adults
31.gif
but she thought she could get more readers if she toned it down, changed some stuff, and it was marketed for young adult
23.gif
(don''t quote me on it though, I''m just pretty sure I read it somewhere, could be bad info though.)
Bella has just about zero personality, which makes it very easy to put yourself into the story- thus the widespread obsession. Since Edward is a stalker and controlling, she has no spine, and that it''s presented as a proper relationship, it just makes me sick to think of all the little girls who are waiting for ''their Edward'' as if he was the perfect man, gasping at silver volvos, wondering if anyone would go to their window to watch them sleep, would let a man ''break and bruise her body anyday'', and so many other things that are just so wrong.

I agree that the book was an easy read, very fast getting through them, kind of like the Ben and Jerry''s you say you''re only going to eat part of then all of the sudden you''re looking at the bottom of the pint. But I think they are for a more mature audience- one that can realize that theirs is not a proper relationship (she hallucinates about him and tries to kill herself for pete''s sake!!)

For those who''ve only seen the movie- it was a joke. more comedic to me than anything and my roommate dragged me there. I think she''s getting ready to sucker me into the second one too
20.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I do use facebook; but I simply can''t stand some of the stupid "tests" and "return one (flower/gift/whatever) to me" request generated from facebook.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I NEVER reapond to gifts, flowers, hearts, Yoville, farms and all that stuff on Facebook. I will cop to partaking in some of the dumb quizzes when I get bored. However, I can''t get through one quiz without seeing a typo and that bugs the crap out of me.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Snuggies
Harry Potter
Twilight
Twitter
MySpace

But there are plenty other crazes that I am into.
9.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Held out on:
-Harry Potter
-Twilight
-Latest Mac craze..I had a mac years ago, and it was great for graphic design as well as video, but for every day use? Eh. Don't see how it's any better these days..especially with Windows 7.
-AION..I am not paying for another game.

Gave in to:
-UGGs (love my UGGs, so warm..but I follow the appropriate UGG-wearing rules, it is a must to wear UGGs properly)
-iPhone (love it, would be lost w/o it..thought I'd miss my keyboard, but it's so worth it to have the features)
-World of Warcraft
-Pretty much all of the social networking..that I definitely regret sometimes.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Off-topic Twilight rant:

So I gave in and tried Twilight. Sorry for the fans, but personally, I found it so TEDIOUS. With Southern Vampire Mysteries, at least there's a story aside from the romance, y'know? Plus, since I'm no longer in middle school, I find the high schooler/century-old vampire romance really implausible and a little ridiculous - plus annoying that the ENTIRE book is about how perfect Edward is, how gorgeous he is, how she can't stop thinking about him...

I don't think I'll be reading the next three...and I WILL be re-reading SVM for the third time
3.gif

[/Rant]

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is hilarious.

Uggs--something I''ve resisted because I already have big feet and look for shoes that make my feet look not so ginormous (9.5M)
Journey or Circle pendants--no one ever gave me one.
Leggings--can''t forget wearing them with oversize sweatshirts in 4th grade.
Twilight--well, I did read the first two books, but only because a friend insisted I borrow them when I was out of reading material. Not big on vampires.
Crocs--again with the foot size vanity thing.
Fake nails--OUCH.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 9:12:02 PM
Author: monarch64

Fake nails--OUCH.
Fake nails - totally. I cannot stand the feel of long nails (real or fake against my skin). One friend of mine was so thrilled to leave a job she had because she finally didn''t have to have her nails all done up. She felt liberated. About a month later, she was sucked into another job requiring fancy nails. Bleh. I could tell she was pissed off about it.

Mine are super short. I love short fingernail and toe nails, fingers painted natural, toes a bit wild.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wait....what kind of job requires fancy nails?!?
40.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Twitter (so far, almost joined but I couldn''t come up with a good handle)
Snuggies
Uggs
Leggings
Extra long length tee shirts (makes people with short torsos look ridiculous!)
Harry Potter
Twilight

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 11:47:27 PM
Author: Mara
40.gif
Okay, I take that back. . .it''s not "the job," so much as the environment. One particular profession (of this person I know) where a woman needs to look crisp and complete on the job to uptake the competition. I would eleborate more however I''m currently setting up "Twilight" in my holds list at the local library. The comments re: the controlling stuff has made me curious. I did see the movie but didn''t plan to read the book.

Still I love short nails.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 12:13:53 AM
Author: MC

Date: 11/11/2009 11:47:27 PM
Author: Mara
40.gif
Okay, I take that back. . .it''s not ''the job,'' so much as the environment. One particular profession (of this person I know) where a woman needs to look crisp and complete on the job to uptake the competition. I would eleborate more however I''m currently setting up ''Twilight'' in my holds list at the local library. The comments re: the controlling stuff has made me curious. I did see the movie but didn''t plan to read the book.

Still I love short nails.
1.gif
MC etc...I grew up playing piano...therefore was very much discouraged from having long nails. To this day I cannot stand them, on myself, or guitar players (believe me I''ve known/know some)...they just seem yucksta to me. I''m not fond of the look of 4mm or more french tips, and I''m not afraid to admit that I once asked a girl who had those things if she picked locks with them. Yes. I did. I''m awful. And I don''t care.

ndpwood

Rough_Rock
If they had cashmere snuggies, you would jump on board though, wouldn''t you?!! I think that would be a great trend!!!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I''m surprised to read all the Twitter hate. I actually big-puffy-heart Twitter. I don''t actually tweet myself, but I follow a lot of academics, writers, bloggers, etc. and think it often really exposes me to different ideas. I think non-reciprocated communication can be great (in terms of handy updates--like meeting time changes) or in terms of getting people to seriously contemplate big ideas. I just see it as something different--something added to communication--versus something subtracting from reciprocated or face-to-face communication. Of course, I don''t follow celebrities or people who treat it like streaming status updates. So, I guess Twitter would be among my things I buy into (hook-line-and-sinker in this instance).

I have never
-tanned (by sunlight or artificially produced UV)
-worn Uggs, Ed Hardy, Juicy (but I think this is much more due to my age, as it really isn''t trendy for people in their 30s)
-worn Crocs
-owned an SUV
-fallen for any of the "gratuitous appliances" like the panini press, the espresso maker, the chocolate fountain, the George Foreman
-watched an episode of American Idol or Dancing with the Stars

But I sure have:
-had some biga$$ hair (though not recently--only when it was in)
-tattoos
-worn leggings
-gotten into minimalist menus (I only want to go to restaurants with 10 or fewer things on the menu)
-bought and embraced many tech gadgets (esp gaming systems, but my favorite material thing is my iphone)
-worn spanx
-joined a farmshare and started shopping at co-ops

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 9:41:44 PM

3.gif
As for the *actual* SJP wearing Uggs, she also wears these little beauties by Maison Martin Margiela!
6.gif
And even though Margiela is technically fashionable, those shoes are ATROCIOUS! So my esplanation this time is that the real SJP has bad shoe taste!
25.gif
Those are hideous!
6.gif
40.gif

Thing, I''ll back down (can''t fight about it anymore
3.gif
) BUT if I see Carrie Bradshaw wearing UGGS in SATC 2, I''m coming for you!
9.gif
11.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 1:43:25 PM
Date: 11/10/2009 9:41:44 PM

3.gif
6.gif
25.gif
Those are hideous!
6.gif
40.gif

Thing, I''ll back down (can''t fight about it anymore
3.gif
) BUT if I see Carrie Bradshaw wearing UGGS in SATC 2, I''m coming for you!
9.gif
11.gif

Aw man, but this was a fun fight! Since you let me win, I''ll admit something to you...I own a pair of Uggs!

They''re slippers and they are amazingly warm!
6.gif
11.gif
3.gif

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
Internet.....

I wish..productivity would increase 100%!

I fully indulge in almost all the trends listed, I have no shame..I am stimulating the economy with CASH, never plastic.
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 11:32:19 PM
Author: MC
Date: 11/11/2009 9:12:02 PM

Author: monarch64

Fake nails--OUCH.
Fake nails - totally. I cannot stand the feel of long nails (real or fake against my skin). One friend of mine was so thrilled to leave a job she had because she finally didn''t have to have her nails all done up. She felt liberated. About a month later, she was sucked into another job requiring fancy nails. Bleh. I could tell she was pissed off about it.

Mine are super short. I love short fingernail and toe nails, fingers painted natural, toes a bit wild.

I often have to get acrylics as I''m a former biter and my nails aren''t in very good shape
7.gif
I get them for a couple months to let my natural nails grow out...But if I had the choice I would def. prefer not to.
I always ask for them as short as possible, and agree 100% on the short toenails with slightly funkier colours. Cannot stand long toenails, painted or no
14.gif

Up until recently, my nails have mostly looked bogus as I was going to a typical "fast and cheap" chain salon.
I found a local girl who is very good, and although more exxy I will be going to her now - much more natural looking and puts in a proper effort!

Anyways, that was just my lil defensive story considering how much fake-nail hating there is around here,lol - I was starting to get hesitant about posting hand pics!..
40.gif
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results