shape
carat
color
clarity

What craze have you held out against?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They''re acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can''t show!

I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn''t expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I''m not the kind of person who stands around and says "That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!" in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don''t judge her because she''s 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn''t let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 1:33:48 PM
Author: swedish bean
WOW there is a lot of hate for Uggs in here
32.gif

I finally got my first pair this year and they are the BEST BOOTS EVER. I wear them under my jeans. They are SO comfortable, I think of it as like, wearing my pj''s out in public. I''m looking into getting my 2nd pair too.

See, that is the problem with Uggs! They''re exactly like wearing slippers and pajamas! I feel strongly that a person shouldn''t wear sleepwear in public. For the record, I also HATE Juicy suits, sweatpants in public, etc.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
10.gif

Date: 11/10/2009 2:10:40 PM
Author: thing2of2
Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They''re acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can''t show!

I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn''t expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I''m not the kind of person who stands around and says ''That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!'' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don''t judge her because she''s 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn''t let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don''t know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don''t know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was ''cooler'' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Although I stand by that Crocs should only be found in the gardening section. > No More Crocs! No More Crocs!

Date: 11/10/2009 2:12:44 PM
Date: 11/10/2009 1:33:48 PM

Author: swedish bean

WOW there is a lot of hate for Uggs in here
32.gif

I finally got my first pair this year and they are the BEST BOOTS EVER. I wear them under my jeans. They are SO comfortable, I think of it as like, wearing my pj''s out in public. I''m looking into getting my 2nd pair too.

See, that is the problem with Uggs! They''re exactly like wearing slippers and pajamas! I feel strongly that a person shouldn''t wear sleepwear in public. For the record, I also HATE Juicy suits, sweatpants in public, etc.

And that''s why I love them! I do live in Minnesota, and while it hasn''t been too chilly yet, I protest wearing jackets as long as possible. I have been wearing the Uggs (again, under my pants, I''m pretty sure you can''t even tell what they are-) and I''m in heaven. Or at least my feet are. I do have regular boots too- and sorels, but they are not as fluffy.

Uggs are also made in glove/ mitten/ hat form too- are those just as disliked? I was thinking about some gloves...
30.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Crocs--hate them! (I totally love my uggs, though--they are the best when it is snowy/rainy outside!) Not with skirts or anything though, just as warm snowboots.

Twilight. Seriously. I just cannot stand a main character that vapid. The rifftracks of the movie is great though!

Twitter. I don''t seen the point.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a gadget person either, and I forgot to list the iPod and kindle earlier. If someone gave them to me as a gift, I''d have no idea what to do with either one. I prefer real books to electronic ones anyway.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 2:55:23 PM
Author: ladypirate

Twilight. Seriously. I just cannot stand a main character that vapid.

Not only that, but I hear (and someone correct me if I''m wrong, since I haven''t read them) that in the books, the relationship between Edward and Bella is an abusive and co-dependent one. And these books are marketed to teenage girls?
40.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don't watch the 'hottest' shows. I don't even know what they are.

I don't see the latest movies - - in the theater. And usually never get around to seeing them later.

I don't have a gaming system. And have never wanted one. I can't think of anything more boring. Really.

I don't buy the NYT or Oprah Club bestsellers. I browse bookstores for my own choices.

I don't pick up celebrity rags from the newstand; but I also dont read Newsweek.

I don't tweet. And won't. My life is not that interesting . . . and neither is yours. Just sayin'.

I don't text. Why? If I want to talk to you, and I probably don't, can't I call?

I don't care what the latest fashion is, which trends are 'now'. Style isn't dependent upon the whims of designers and editors. It's personal.

I care not for what everyone else is buying, eating, driving, and otherwise consuming. Just. Don't. Give. A. Hoot.

As for Snuggies and Uggs: Ugh.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea why people are so against snuggies!

Its a blanket that lets you use your arms! What could be bad about that?? It''s not a fashion statement.

I <3 my snuggie, but am seriously looking into a Slanket now!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:29:49 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Its a blanket that lets you use your arms! What could be bad about that?? It's not a fashion statement.

what's a SLANKET?!

where am I that I don't know what anything is?

eta: Probably because it was a.) found on an infomercial, and b.) it's called a 'snuggie.'

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resisted

cell phones.

I may cave one of these years.

Highlights

Caved

UGGs -- love them! Mine finally bit the dust but they WILL be replaced!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:06:58 PM
Author: EBree

Not only that, but I hear (and someone correct me if I''m wrong, since I haven''t read them) that in the books, the relationship between Edward and Bella is an abusive and co-dependent one. And these books are marketed to teenage girls?
40.gif
Very true. That really disturbed me, especially thinking about my little sister reading them! Edward stalks her (creeps into her room at night for WEEKS!), and then in the third book he doesn''t want her to go somewhere, so he takes out part of her car''s engine so she can''t "sneak" away. It is NOT a healthy relationship at all. It''s definitely a relationship more suited for a bodice ripper than a book that 12 year olds are reading!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bought into:

iPod
Snuggie
Uggs (Michigan winters - not for fashion)
WoW/Aion
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace (not anymore, but a few years ago I had one)
Texting
BlackBerry
Sushi? (if you consider it a trend)
Fuel Efficeint cars (trend now - hope it sticks!!)

Avoided:
Skinny Jeans
Leggings
Gigantic Sunglasses
Any 80s paraphernalia
Cable TV
Crocs

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:31:56 PM
Author: Bia

Date: 11/10/2009 3:29:49 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Its a blanket that lets you use your arms! What could be bad about that?? It''s not a fashion statement.

what''s a SLANKET?!

where am I that I don''t know what anything is?

eta: Probably because it was a.) found on an infomercial, and b.) it''s called a ''snuggie.''
Slanket got mentioned earlier in this thread. Snuggie, but heavier. Already emailed DH about getting one for Xmas!
3.gif

DH made fun of my snuggie too... until he was sick and on the couch, and wanted to use his laptop. Now he is sold!
10.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
1.Tiffany Key pendant or replicas thereof.

I cannot understand how it would be anything other than irritating to have a key which fits no lock, never mind wearing it around my neck....not for me
33.gif

2. BMW''s.

3. Ikea.

4. Open plan living.

5. Veneers.

6. Fake tan.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:39:55 PM
Author: Steel

I cannot understand how it would be anything other than irritating to have a key which fits no lock, never mind wearing it around my neck....not for me
33.gif

2. BMW''s.

3. Ikea.

4. Open plan living.

5. Veneers.

6. Fake tan.
Open plan living - like open floor plans? Or am I missing something?

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
After reading all these great responses, I''ve realized that I''ve never caved and bought anything from the Shopping Channel or the As Seen on TV store.

(I almost caved to the Bumpits...but eventually came to my senses, and realized I don''t want my hair lookin'' like it''s hopped up on crack
9.gif
)

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:41:21 PM
Author: Vancity
After reading all these great responses, I''ve realized that I''ve never caved and bought anything from the Shopping Channel or the As Seen on TV store.

(I almost caved to the Bumpits...but eventually came to my senses, and realized I don''t want my hair lookin'' like it''s hopped up on crack
9.gif
)
the worst of the worst

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:41:19 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 11/10/2009 3:39:55 PM
Author: Steel

33.gif

2. BMW''s.

3. Ikea.

4. Open plan living.

5. Veneers.

6. Fake tan.
Open plan living - like open floor plans? Or am I missing something?
Yes - open floor plan. I particularly dislike a ''through kitchen, living room and reception room''. I like walls.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:32:50 PM

40.gif

Very true. That really disturbed me, especially thinking about my little sister reading them! Edward stalks her (creeps into her room at night for WEEKS!), and then in the third book he doesn''t want her to go somewhere, so he takes out part of her car''s engine so she can''t ''sneak'' away. It is NOT a healthy relationship at all. It''s definitely a relationship more suited for a bodice ripper than a book that 12 year olds are reading!

No kidding--creepy! Also, how are people thinking it''s a good thing that she gets married and knocked up right out of high school??? I''ve also heard the books referred to as a way to indoctrinate people (specifically young girls) into the mormon faith, which is just creepy.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:42:32 PM

9.gif
)
the worst of the worst
rotflmao2.gif

Sorry, Vancity... you are the first that I have ever heard admit it outloud.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Gave in to:
My snuggie!! LOVE IT and want another to wear backwards. Yes, I said it.
Leggings. How did I get through winter without them? So many more options, I hate pants!
Coach (a few years ago)
topsiders (hate them now)
skinny jeans
iPhone

Avoided:
Uggs (HATE THEM)
Plaid
popped collars
bleaching my hair
tanning
Ed Hardy
14.gif
(LMAO at Princesss comment)

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:50:26 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 11/10/2009 3:42:32 PM

9.gif
)
the worst of the worst
rotflmao2.gif

Sorry, Vancity... you are the first that I have ever heard admit it outloud.
They now sell these at Target if you change your mind...

I was actually out to dinner with my Uncle recently and after our waitress took our order he said "I think she''s wearing a bumpit". I nearly died of laughter.

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Hi Meresal
35.gif

I just dont think it''s natural to have your hair in a separate time zone
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:49:50 PM

Date: 11/10/2009 3:32:50 PM

40.gif

Very true. That really disturbed me, especially thinking about my little sister reading them! Edward stalks her (creeps into her room at night for WEEKS!), and then in the third book he doesn''t want her to go somewhere, so he takes out part of her car''s engine so she can''t ''sneak'' away. It is NOT a healthy relationship at all. It''s definitely a relationship more suited for a bodice ripper than a book that 12 year olds are reading!

No kidding--creepy! Also, how are people thinking it''s a good thing that she gets married and knocked up right out of high school??? I''ve also heard the books referred to as a way to indoctrinate people (specifically young girls) into the mormon faith, which is just creepy.
Obviously can''t say too much about that, but I will say that it''s VERY obvious what the author believes and the way it manifests itself in Edward and Bella''s relationship is frightening to many of us to do not feel the same way. It makes me wonder if she knows this relationship is unhealthy, or if she wrote this as an ideal relationship from her point of view.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:55:45 PM
Hi Meresal
35.gif

I just dont think it''s natural to have your hair in a separate time zone
9.gif
LOL!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Actually I bought the bumpits for my Halloween costume, but can''t bring myself to wear one IRL lol

bumpitflo.JPG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 2:23:40 PM
10.gif

Ha, I stand by my assessment-leggings are over! They're acceptable tucked into boots, but other than that-OVAH! The bottom of the legging can't show!

I used to be a buyer for a boutique until about 6 months ago, so my insider fashion knowledge card hasn't expired yet. We stopped carrying them maybe 2 years ago. They were the hot, hot thing about 4 years ago, but once Target and Wal-Mart starts selling something, the fashion world has typically moved on!

P.S. I swear I'm not the kind of person who stands around and says 'That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don't judge her because she's 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn't let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don't know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don't know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was 'cooler' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Although I stand by that Crocs should only be found in the gardening section. > No More Crocs! No More Crocs!

Ah, but just because they're readily available doesn't mean they're fashionable! Uggs are different because they've NEVER been fashionable! Trendy, yes, fashionable, NO!

As you can see I have strong feelings on this!
9.gif

ETA we are in complete agreement on Crocs, though!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 4:25:32 PM

Date: 11/10/2009 2:23:40 PM
10.gif

P.S. I swear I''m not the kind of person who stands around and says ''That is sooooo 2 seasons ago!'' in real life! My older sister still wears them and I don''t judge her because she''s 38 and just started wearing them last year. I wouldn''t let my twin sister wear them, though!
3.gif
I don''t know Thing. I walked into American Apparel in Columbus Circle the other day it looked like a scene from Flashdance. You had leggings in every color (in cotton, spandex, sheer, fluorescents, glitter, etc), skinny jeans with the little zippers on the side, sweatshirts with the shoulders cut out, tube-top-halter-bathingsuit-leotards with ruffles around the bottom, all kinds of knee socks, leg warmers...you get the picture. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED! With regular looking twenty and thirty somethings, not just school girls. So...I don''t know.

They said UGGS were over too. Maybe it was ''cooler'' to say they were ugly then to wear them, but I see those everywhere too!

Although I stand by that Crocs should only be found in the gardening section. <<protest>> No More Crocs! No More Crocs!

Ah, but just because they''re readily available doesn''t mean they''re fashionable! Uggs are different because they''ve NEVER been fashionable! Trendy, yes, fashionable, NO!

As you can see I have strong feelings on this!
9.gif

ETA we are in complete agreement on Crocs, though!
Hey, I saw Carrie Bradshaw wearing them boots on TV! ESPLAIN THAT ONE TO MEEEEE.

25.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 11:00:09 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 11/9/2009 7:10:56 PM
Author: Lynn B
Twitter. My Space. Facebook. Ipods. Iphones.
Definitely caved in on Uggs, Snuggies, and PROCREATION, though!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

WHAT??!!

SPILL IT, Lynnie!
Too funny, Alj! I am LOL over here!!!

I have 2 dimpled darlings of my own, you knew that, right???! Of course they are all grown up now (well, mostly!) But I still caved on the procreation THANG, even if it was YEARS ago. It was still a FAD then, too!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results