shape
carat
color
clarity

What craze have you held out against?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock

Twitter was the first that came to mind... but does it count as resisting, if I just really don''t care at all?

No Uggs. I went with Hunter Wellies instead that have changeable fleece lining! and THEY don''t ruin in the snow and ice!

I have a Snuggie, which I like, but to be honest, I expected it to be thicker and more plush. Kind of dissapointed.

Ipod. I Refuse. (people don''t even see it coming

28.gif
)

ipod_overthrow.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Television.

I think it''s a passing fad.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I for one am shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, to see snuggies referred to as a craze!!!
6.gif
I have only thought of them has youtube infomercial fodder, nothing anyone actually BOUGHT.

So, I guess I can say that I haven't bought into the "snuggie craze," that I didn't even know existed.

I tried twitter and saw no use for it, until I figured out that you could "follow" trucks (a craze in and of itself in LA, my fave one is the shave ice truck) to see where they would be. I use it for that, but never post anything.

I have a myspace account but forget about its existence for months at a time, only to be reminded when I get an email about a friend request.

I cannot imagine being without my iPod (or one of my iPods, lol, I'm ashamed to admit that I have accumulated 4 if you include my iPhone) for trips and working out. You anti-iPod folks are strong!

I've resisted skinny jeans because I just don't think they look good on my figure. I may buy a pair just to tuck in to boots, though.

I do not put my dog in my purse, even though he could definitely fit.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:26:12 PM
Author: kenny
Television.

I think it's a passing fad.
I've heard a lot of people say that. I believe that once virtual reality reaches a certain level of quality and attainability, tv and film will mostly fall by the wayside. It'll be awhile, though, and likely it will be less of a disappearing fad and more of an evolution into interactive "stories" published through virtual reality systems.

Commercials will always have a market.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure "held out" is the right phrase. More like loathed...

-Uggs
-Leggings (is this just a midwest thing, or has it hit everywhere?) This year EVERY FREAKING GIRL around Michigan''s campus is wearing them, and it''s driving me nuts. Some at least wear dresses/tunics over them, but others just didn''t get the memo. Thanks, but I do NOT need to know the exact outline of your panties nor do I want to see every freaking jiggle of your tushie. Oh, your tushie is perfect?? Yeah, well, leave something to the imagination so I don''t have to hate you for your perfect butt on top of your being a mindless fashion clone. :razz:
-Uggs + leggings (bad + bad does not sum to good)
-Myspace
-Jeans cut so low they guarantee plumber-butt no matter how tiny the wearer
-Boy bands, Brittany Spears, et al
-80s hair and sunglasses (usually paired with red plaid tunic, leggings, etc...)

In general I don''t follow trends and tend to prefer classic looks.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:26:25 PM
Author: musey

I tried twitter and saw no use for it, until I figured out that you could ''follow'' trucks (a craze in and of itself in LA, my fave one is the shave ice truck) to see where they would be. I use it for that, but never post anything.

Total threadjack here! Musey, have you heard of the grilled cheese truck

I wish it would make it''s way into the Valley for lunch!

OK, a couple of the things I''ve held out against have been mentioned- HP & Twilight books/movies & twitter. I''ve also never "gotten into" American Idol or those types of reality shows- Dancing with the Stars, etc...

I do LOVE my ipod, FB, and Uggs!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:35:19 PM
Author: ladyciel
I''m not sure ''held out'' is the right phrase. More like loathed...

-Uggs

-Leggings (is this just a midwest thing, or has it hit everywhere?) This year EVERY FREAKING GIRL around Michigan''s campus is wearing them, and it''s driving me nuts. Some at least wear dresses/tunics over them, but others just didn''t get the memo. Thanks, but I do NOT need to know the exact outline of your panties nor do I want to see every freaking jiggle of your tushie. Oh, your tushie is perfect?? Yeah, well, leave something to the imagination so I don''t have to hate you for your perfect butt on top of your being a mindless fashion clone. :razz:

-Myspace

-80s hair and sunglasses (usually paired with red plaid tunic, leggings, etc...)

Oh dear, sweetheart. Your poor eyes.
14.gif

I have caved to Uggs...but only the fake ones from Target...and only because they are warm. I do not wear them with skirts, and I only tuck my pants into them when trying to keep them out of the slush we get in DC.

Trends I have avoided:
~Leggings
~iPhone
~Blackberry
~Twitter
~Skinny Jeans
~HDTV (we still have a CRT from when I was 13 that has a built-in VCR)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...

Avoided:
-Uggs
-Anything Mac (except the 3 yr old iPod Shuffle seen below)
-Snuggies
-Tivo
-Skinny jeans
-Coach brand anything (I have one piece I inherited and it's in my closet, where it is doomed to stay for all eternity)
-The Simpsons. Not interested.
-Yoga/Pilates
-HALO (The video games..although people have tried. I'm just not a first person shooter type girl.)
-WoW
-Diamond Solitaire

Not Avoided:
-iPod (but just a 3 year old shuffle)
-Crackberry
-Friends, but I only joined in at season EIGHT, so I almost avoided it completely
-Crocs
-Twilight
-True Blood/Southern Vampire Mysteries
-Harry Potter

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Twitter.

The GYM. My own personal hell on earth LOL

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
since others have mentioned it, i also haven''t done the ipod thing. nor the vampire fad.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am a bit ashamed to be on FaceBook. But I''ll put out the excuse that I kinda did it out of desperation. (Long story. I have to admit it has yielded some benefits in getting in touch with long-lost friends) I still say no way to twitter, iPhones (or any phone that does more than MAKE A FREAKING PHONE CALL), or texting. I did in fact, not have a cell phone until about 2003. I held out that long. I also had never had even basic cable, EVER, until about the same time. Since I think those crazes were dead ages before I jumped on them, and not having them made people treat me as if I was a throwback to the 19th century, I think we can safely say I resisted. :)

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora bracelets, they are supposedly uber-popular, but I don''t know anyone who owns one, I don''t think I''ve ever seen one outside of a store. Who is buying all these beads/bracelets?

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 10:18:27 PM
Author: MishB
Pandora bracelets, they are supposedly uber-popular, but I don''t know anyone who owns one, I don''t think I''ve ever seen one outside of a store. Who is buying all these beads/bracelets?
Uh oh... Me!

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:10:56 PM
Author: Lynn B
Twitter. My Space. Facebook. Ipods. Iphones.
Definitely caved in on Uggs, Snuggies, and PROCREATION, though!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
ooh, you''re missing out on the Ipods! I have HUNDREDS of cd''s hooked up to my car thanks to the Ipod - of course I love driving
9.gif

Yorkies! I can''t stand the tiny dog trend just because they''re a tiny dog.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I forgot about Twilight! I have so far resisted Twilight but I'm not that into vampire/fantasy type books, so it hasn't been hard to resist. However, that Robert Pattinson is a delicious little hottie so I might have to see the movie just to see him shirtless.
12.gif

I've also resisted Crocs because they're even more disgusting than Uggs. That trend was also not that hard to resist!

What else...I've never worn leggings with my butt not covered, ladyciel! Aside from disliking the look, I've got too much butt for that! Plus no offense to the midwest, but leggings are sooooo 4 years ago!
3.gif

I've also resisted getting tattooed. At my last job I was in the minority for being tattoo-free...actually, I'm in the minority at my new job, too. Most of my friends have a fair amount of tattoos, too.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
What a funny thread!

Resisted:
Leather jackets at all times
Shirts that have a dropped waist and hug your bum - I mean, who looks good in those things???
Hunter boots
Designer handbags of all sorts

Caved:
Uggs - because Canadian winters are not good on the feet. Got tired of having sore, cold feet all winter long.
Twilight - mmmmm, goood. (Except for the last one, which was blech)
Facebook

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:10:56 PM
Author: Lynn B
Twitter. My Space. Facebook. Ipods. Iphones.
Definitely caved in on Uggs, Snuggies, and PROCREATION, though!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

WHAT??!!

SPILL IT, Lynnie!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buying my son HEELIES for school, I call them broken bones on wheels...every kid I know who got them sprained or broke something the first hour. How a school allows them is beyond me as well..sooo dangerous...just wigs me out a bit!

I am more classic than trendy but I did get into boyfriend jeans and certain somewhat trendy things but I NEVER wore day glo and never will lol!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Having babies:) Not that it''s a craze, but a lot of the people I graduated with have had more than one kid. Not me thanks. At least not for a while.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 7:35:19 PM
Author: ladyciel
I''m not sure ''held out'' is the right phrase. More like loathed...

-Uggs

-Myspace

UGH!! to the leggings thing!! I go to university near GR, and I swear, some of these girls do not realize that LEGGINGS ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PANTS!!! Drives me nuts. You don''t wear leggings, winter boots, and a heavy coat. It just doesn''t make sense. Leggings are good for when you want to layer them underneath another pair of pants for extra warmth
2.gif

Also, I don''t do reality TV. no way, most of it disgusts me. FI''s family though, LOVES reality TV, like obsessed. I guess I feel that paying attention to and living out my own life is much more interesting and important than wishing I was someone else/having a pity party/or making fun of other people on TV.

another no way to uggs. last year I had totes- warm and waterproof. very good for MI winters
9.gif
I also have not gotten suckered into NorthFace. no thank you I''d rather wear my carhart.

I do however have an ipod and a facebook. I don''t go on FB too much, I use it mainly to stay connected with family

snlee

Ideal_Rock
fun thread.

-uggs
-snuggies
-tivo
-ipod
-iphone
-blackberry
-skinny jeans
-harry potter
-twilight
-twitter

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also avoided Twitter and Twilight and Myspace...though Facebook does suck me in!!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Crazes that I have held out against:

Twitter
Facebook
Myspace
Crocs
Blackberry
Snuggie (Even though I can''t believe people actually buy those things)
Abercrombie & Fitch/Hollister - When I was in junior high/high school, everybody and their momma started shopping at A&F and I just don''t get it. I can say that the look of some of the clothes, but I hate everything that the company stands for and I''m proud to say I''ve never bought anything and never will buy anything from A&F.

Caved in and joined the masses:

Uggs - Yes, I have man Uggs and I''m proud.
iPhone
IPod
Tivo
Harry Potter
Clarks Wallabees
Birkenstocks
North Face - About the North Face, Birkenstocks, and Wallabees, I don''t personally feel like I caved in because I had all of these things before they became tickets to fitting in and being popular. Like, I had Wallabees as a kid and we''ve always went on ski trips (which is really what North Face is for).

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m still holding out against:

Wine
Running
Working out
Pilates
Leggings as pants
Chicken
Camping
Avocado
Sushi
Having a Blackberry/iPhone/the Internet on my cell phone
Having "conversations" by text
Netflix
Farmer''s markets
Twitter
American football
Bangs
Candles
Shoulder pads (how can they be back?!)
High-waisted pants (same comment as above)
Wearing pajamas in public

I fully embrace:

My navel ring
Tiffany silver
Twilight
Harry Potter
Sookie Stackhouse
Uggs (the knockoff kind)
My iPod
Facebook
Cupcakes
Starbucks
North Face (it is COLD where I''m from!)
Designer handbags
Celebrity gossip
Sudoku
Skinny jeans
Purple as the new black
SCARVES

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Myspace
Facebook
Twitter

I feel like the only early-20-something around without accounts on any of the above...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loafers.

(Makes me think of toe jam.)

11aaaaaaaa.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I refuse to buy champagne flute stilettos.

11qqqqqqq.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I apparently have the backbone of a jellyfish
3.gif

Love:

- Uggs (and you would too if you spent the last few years in Boston and Chicago, though I certainly don''t wear them with miniskirt - blergh)
- Apple (Macbook, iPhone, iPods before I got the iPhone, etc.)
- Tivo
- Skinny jeans (though in my defense, I ONLY wear these with knee-high boots - otherwise it''s bootcut for me)
- Coach
- Round brilliants
- Blackberry (I used to have one)
- Friends
- True Blood/Southern Vampire Mysteries
- Facebook
- Harry Potter
- Northface - seriously, the jackets save my life each winter

Bandwagons I haven''t jumped on:

- Crocs (ick)
- Snuggies
- Twitter (tried it, hated it, no thanks)
- Twilight
- Leggings

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
No Uggs, Crocs, Twilight, Harry Potter, Snuggie, Twitter, leggings, yoga, blogging, North Face fleeces, or Dakine bags (Oh Colorado residents...)

But i''ve accepted: LOST, Wii, digital picture frames (I think these are fad-ish?), "tramp stamps," nose/lip/eyebrow rings (once upon a time), all things Mac, Blackberry (begrudgingly), and probably a few other things...

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Resisted:
Iphone(and I don''t use my ipod)
Blackberry
Twitter
80''s fashion revisited. I did leggings the first time..
blu ray
uggs

Haven''t resisted:
I love my dvr (what did I do before that?)
I have a snuggie on my xmas list
All things vampire-can''t get enough, although I''ve always been that way
Facebook
myspace(but not much)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results