shape
carat
color
clarity

What craze have you held out against?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I often hold out against things, simply because they are enormously popular. I think it is almost a defense mechanism, because when I get "into" something, I go WAY OTT.
28.gif
For example, I still haven''t seen "Jerry Maguire," nor watched a single episode of Gray''s Anatomy. I purposefully don''t start watching reality tv series because I don''t want to have my evening plans dominated by a compulsion to not miss certain time slots.

I resisted Harry Potter for years. I worked in a theatre throughout high school and college though - and when the first movie came out, I couldn''t help but see it. And that was it - I bought all the books that had been released at that point and read them within a week. I went HP nuts.

Knowing how I responded to HP, I have resisted Twilight. I clenched my teeth and blocked out all talk of "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob." I read no books, I passionately turned down all offers to go see the movie.

And then I saw the books on sale. Mega sale. If there''s something I love more than resisting crazes, it''s sales.
31.gif
So I bought them. I read Twilight on one of my flights between the States and Australia this weekend - twice. I finished it, flipped back to the beginning, and read it again. And then, conveniently enough, the movie was one of my in-flight entertainment options. So I watched it (and I agree with nearly everything Freke has said about it - there was a whole lotta bad, and only a few redeeming bits). And then I read the second one. And now I''m nearly to the end of Eclipse.

Once again, it''s all I can think about. Seriously. I LOVED Harry Potter, but I think the love I feel for Twilight is even more fanatical and somewhat pathetic.
32.gif
The juvenile literary style got on my nerves from time to time, but the core story, the romance, just makes my heart sing. I''m an avid reader and I''ve not felt this high after reading a book in many years. Resisting was futile.
5.gif

So -- are there things you all have resisted? Did you ever just throw in the towel and join the party? Were you disappointed, or did you turn into one of the biggest promoters of all?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UGGS! Especially hard, living in Canada! But I think I''m going to give in this year. I''ve heard they''re very comfy and warm, and have good traction. BUT, only going to wear them on snowy days - NOT with leggings or miniskirts!!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 5:11:12 PM
Author: kama_s
UGGS! Especially hard, living in Canada! But I think I''m going to give in this year. I''ve heard they''re very comfy and warm, and have good traction. BUT, only going to wear them on snowy days - NOT with leggings or miniskirts!!

AHHH Kama you took the words out of my mouth! I read the question and that was the first thing I thought of. I dont care how popular they are, they are hideous and I refuse to wear that as an "accessory" to an outfit. Really?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I don''t resist - I embrace all ridiculous trends because I am a sucker
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Snuggies, I won''t buy one. I rather get a fluffy blankie and throw it over me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 5:20:14 PM
Author: NakedFinger

Date: 11/9/2009 5:11:12 PM
Author: kama_s

AHHH Kama you took the words out of my mouth! I read the question and that was the first thing I thought of. I dont care how popular they are, they are hideous and I refuse to wear that as an ''accessory'' to an outfit. Really?
LOL! Okay, me three on this one. Also in Canada, also only for cold days or for when I go to the movies and want comfort/warmth. I actually have 2 pairs for this year, first time ever.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy--You are missing out! I love my Snuggie. It has revolutionized my comfort level while reading in bed at night. My entire life I''ve suffered from cold reading arms, but no more! Now I have my Snuggie!

Anyway, I''ve resisted Twitter. I''ve never even seen it, but it sounds like it''s composed entirely of the most annoying part of Facebook (status updates) so I''m not interested.

I feel like I hop on far fewer craze bandwagons the older I get.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Facebook.

mz

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
procreation!!!

damn i guess i can't say that one anymore.
25.gif

but before may we definitely were holding out...and it was a 'craze' amongst our friends and coworkers, everyone was having kids and wondering when we would get on the bandwagon!

oh one other one: twitter.

bikes333

Rough_Rock
Here''s a trend I haven''t done. ( since I''m a guy ) lol

Have you girls resisted? The "designer" jeans that perpusly have tears / holes in them and cost anywhere from 80 - 200 dollars a pair.

Trend I did escape: WoW ( World of Warcraft) I have a ton of buddies ( in their twenties ) that play it still. In my opinion, I''ve used my time more wisely and gotten much more accomplished compared to them.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe, I started a thread about this a while ago. So far I've resisted:

Uggs
Crocs
a BlackBerry
an MP3 player
an iPhone
Reading any of the Harry Potter books. I saw the movies and they were okay but that genre isn't one that I love. I prefer realistic fiction.
Finishing the Twilight series. I got halfway through the third book before I gave up (same reason as above).
Any fashion/makeup trend/products. I guess this isn't a trend or a craze but I don't care about brand names really and I don't wear makeup. I think maybe I missed out on the girl gene. I'm so not a girly girl. I do like jewelry though. Go figure.
9.gif

Twitter and MySpace. I don't get the appeal.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, Uggs is the first thing that came to my mind, too! They''re disgusting!

P.S. Don''t fight the Snuggie, Skippy!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blackberry ( I would rather call it a crackberry!!!
11.gif
)
Crocs
Iphone
Twitter

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
snuggies!!
although not for long as fi has a snuggie on our registry lol so far nobody has bought it!
we also got mighty putty last year and it ripped the paint off our wall - lame

E B

Ideal_Rock
Twitter.

I don't have a Snuggie YET, but I signed up for a free one a couple of weeks ago. I mean, it was a free Snuggie...how could I resist?
3.gif

ETA: Adding the Twilight series. Thought the movie was hilarious (in a bad way) so I figured the books wouldn't be my thing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine was the North Face jackets. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE around here has one. The unisex look just isn''t for me. . .but then just last month, I found a REALLY cute fitted fleece one at REI and caved in and bought it. It''s snug and about as "sexy" as North Face can get. lol At least it gives the appearance of a figure. Oh, and I got to use my REI divident to help pay for it. (Must have been clearance. . .it''s not up on the site anymore.)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
friends. i never watched the show even though everyone was crazy over it! oh and i never did the myspace thing. as a graphic designer, i couldn't get over how ugly the pages were.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of stuff. I have not read any Harry Potter books or the Twilight series. I have only seen one Star Wars movie. I have never worn Uggs or Crocs. I don''t own a pair of pointy toe shoes (mostly b/c of comfort). I do not buy jeans where there are already holes or skinny jeans. I am on Facebook but not Twitter or MySpace. I have never just painted one wall of a room. I don''t belong to netflicks (though I do love me some redbox). I am sure there are many more. I am not against any of these things just haven''t "embraced" them.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm justginger you sound a lot like me. I try not to give in to trends for fear of becomming obsessed or over doing it.

I avoided twilight. Then I caved out of curiosity about a month ago...I bought the movie used and watched it 5nights in a row. I stopped because I didn''t want my FI to call me out on it. Then I found the hardcover set of the books on sale and I grabbed them. And I read them ALL in 2 weeks, and am now rereading them. It''s totally pathetic. I feel like a loser, and I don''t know what the hell the draw is to this series! I''m totally addicted in an unhealthy way! LOL.

I also refuse to wear uggs, and pre-ripped jeans. I refused skinny jeans at first too, but then I caved.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a snuggie lol, I need one, my home office is freezing and a snuggie will keep me warm and allow me to move...lol sorry nothing else to share.

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Round Brilliants
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have not given into the My Space, Facebook, Twitter nonsense... And I stand firm!!
3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 5:25:33 PM
Author: Skippy123

Snuggies, I won''t buy one. I rather get a fluffy blankie and throw it over me.

font>

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far I have resisted:
* private jets
* having a live in butler
* Ferraris
and
* Pilates

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:30:51 PM
Author: decodelighted
So far I have resisted:
* private jets
* Ferraris
and
* Pilates
Well, I can say firsthand you are MISSING OUT Deco.

*fluffs hair*

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
I, too, have resisted the private jet...ha! I could be ZoeBartlett''s twin. No Uggs, Crocs, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPod, Twilight, Twitter, or Myspace. Also, no makeup or perfume. I do love Harry Potter. Though the last 2 books were quite tedious...

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:34:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 11/9/2009 6:30:51 PM

Author: decodelighted

So far I have resisted:

* private jets

* Ferraris

and

* Pilates
Well, I can say firsthand you are MISSING OUT Deco.

*fluffs hair*

my soda came out my nose when i saw this hahahhaha thanks a lot guys!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Twitter.

Myspace.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Twitter. My Space. Facebook. Ipods. Iphones.
Definitely caved in on Uggs, Snuggies, and PROCREATION, though!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
nm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results