shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 2nd July till 8th July

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening everyone..........

I left work and made it to the gym by 5:35, changed and started my core work by 5:45. I didn't finish up everything until after 8:30, so it was a pretty intense workout. I usually do a harder workout on Thursday night's since we take Friday's off. YAY YAY YAY that tomorrow's Friday.

For dinner I had a Lean Cuisne Spaghetti and Meatball. It's one the lower calorie meals and since I only had some grilled chicken and rice with fruit salad for lunch, I'm probably a little low on calories today, but I'll make it up tomorrow with my Sapporo and Sushi and maybe even a scone with coffee tomorrow night for dessert. Yummmmm.

That's about all the news I can think of. I'm going to go sit on the couch, read the paper and have a Fuji apple with Charlie and kitties.

DeeJay, I missed the part about your throbbing pain. I'm so sorry, but it's probably a good thing you skipped the drugs and I hope the Tylenol works OK. I don't if this is gospel or not, but I read that to make an over the counter pain medication prescription strength, just double the doasge. So, if the dosage is 2, then 4 would be prescription strength. Feel better soon!

Jeff, good for you doing double gym dutie for having had double doses of burgers and dogs!

Have a nice night everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
evening all! DJ about stopping at 1/2c...honestly i am not that into vanilla or chocolate ice cream (plain) so it's easier for me to stop at 1/2c. plus with a float or whatever it's a finite amount of ice cream so unless i want a 2nd float, i can't just keep adding ice cream. however give me a tub of breyers reeses peanut butter cup ice cream? i'd eat 1/2 of it. this is why when i found it at the store the other day (160 cals for 1/2c not bad), i made myself put it back...!!!

i forget who said they start eating cheerios and can't stop but i can totally relate, i too am a cereal whore! i have eaten like 1/3 or 1/2 boxes before if i get on a kick. like greg says though, there are worse things to gorge on than cereal though hehee. i am like good point.

danielle, hope the leg holds up, don't be too rough on it. skippy, hope the knee feels better, take it easy woman.

gosh rod, it's so amazing to me that you can do 3 hour workouts and not consume what seems like very much at all. literally if i eat too little cals one or two days in a row i feel fairly weak and a 3 hour workout? no way...hehe. and actually from what the trainer was telling me, that is what could have been backfiring on me, not feeing my muscles enough i guess so it started turning my cals to fat instead.

anyhow...it is SOOO hot here!!! it was almost 100 today i think. it's cooling off quickly as is typical here though which is nice since i hate running the air too often, that forced air feeling and unnatural coldness and then i also hate having all the windows closed and not hearing outside noises, the house seems so quiet then.

today was a pretty good day considering it was not friday hehe. for breakfast as posted earlier i had egg whites and kashi with almond milk. for snack i had a south beach peanut butter bar, and then i went to vitamin shoppe at lunch and got some new designer whey protein powder in chocolate caramel peanut butter, yum!!! also i tried this new 'negative calorie' drink called celsius, i read about it on hungry gril. it's 10 cals and is basically a carbonated drink in a bottle. SUPPOSEDLY it raises your metabolism for up to 3 hours after you drink it, burning an extra 70ish calories or so. i typically don't drink things like this but i was curious...it didn't make me feel really any different but i am not sold on it...maybe as a fun drink sometimes.. it has caffeine, green tea extract and guarana seed in it. i got 3 bottles, they have diff flavors, so figure i'll try them out over the next few weeks. i went to the drugstore at lunch and they had south beach fresh wraps so i figured i'd try one...it basically is whole wheat tortillas, chicken breast, salsa and cheese, you melt it all in the microwave. it was 25g protein and 240 cals...and i thought hey i could make this myself with my la tortilla factory tortillas, chicken breast or turkey, cheese and salsa! so i might do that tomorrow myself. for snack i had fage with splenda and topped with fruit salad and drizzled with honey.

then went to the new TJ's today after work and man it's amazing! they had stuff i'd never even seen before at other TJ's hehe. so i came home with a bunch of new healthy fiber and protein loaded stuff, haha. i did a 'home workout' while watching my soap operas, the home workout mostly consists of kickboxing moves and jumping jacks, leg lifts, kicks, etc...i did about 25 minutes which felt really good. then i made 2 TJ's chili chicken lime burgers and had them with WF's fresh mango salsa, soooo yummy, and some leftover corn and edamame salad. before the workout i snacked on a bit of grilled chicken breast and some fruit salad. for 'dessert' i am going to mix up some of my new choco pb protein powder with some fage, ice, and almond milk, yummy...!! my cals for the day will be at about 1450 and protein is about 135g...holy moly...hahaah. hopefully that extra protein will benefit me tomorrow because it's back out to the preserve for a 5m hike...whew. hope it's cooler than today.

anyway hope everyone had a great thursday, yay for tomorrow being friday. not sure what we are doing but we have a rare event, the evenings of tomorrow and saturday to ourselves, and we are going to SF on saturday...so we'll probably stay local on friday and just do something low-key.
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, my time away from home at my sister''s house is almost over. I''m going home tomorrow.

It wasn''t bad for being away from home. I ate a good amount of veggies, small portions, purposeful snacks. I did eat two cookies that I felt a little guilty about (not on the same day). It was interesting to watch my parents, especially my dad who has ragged on us about eating and being healthy in the past, eating way too many helpings and sweet after sweet. He admits that he doesn''t eat healthily but at least he jogs, and he has something of a diet . . . if he weighs above a certain amount, he can''t have alcohol until he''s back down.

I worked out with both of my mid-60''s parents . . . walking with my dad and The Firm with my mom. I remember trying to walk while my dad ran two years ago and having a hard time keeping up. This time I felt like I was barely walking (maybe going 3 miles per hour instead of 4 or 4.5). I think he has slowed down due to a tendon issue and a stroke, not that I''ve become that much faster. A few times he sped up and I could tell that pace would be hard for me to sustain.

My mom goes to the Y for some classes but I don''t think really pushes herself much. For a lot of the exercises she just marched in place with 3 lb. weights, which she used for everything. At one point I wiped off my sweat and she said, "Oh, are you sweating?" in this innocent voice. I don''t think she was trying to make me feel bad . . . she was just proud of herself that she wasn''t sweating (I realized that this is an issue for her when she moved me into my first apartment after college . . . I didn''t work out then, and she expressed shocked disappointment when I could lift something that she couldn''t . . . and I was like, "Duh, Mom, you''re 60 years old!"). Then again I was using 8 lb. weights and the 14 inch step and actually doing all the sit-ups and lunges, while she just sort of moved her legs or lay on the floor.

But the point is that my parents kept me exercising. And I think I''ve convinced my mom to move up from 1 lb. weights at her Y classes (her instructor is always telling her to use 3 lbs.).

The only unfortunate thing about tonight was the champagne we had after my sister and baby and brother-in-law came home from the hospital. Luckily I brought along a bottle, and my brother-in-law opened that first, a Spanish Cava. It was cheap but quite lovely. We drank it all and moved on to their expensive bottle . . . which was terrible! My brother-in-law even said that my bottle was probably cheaper but much better (which means he must have spent a lot trying to get a good bottle . . . he had no reason to think I''d been cheap in picking it out). But my brother-in-law is such a sweet person and I just felt that saying, "Ew, yuck, I can''t drink this!" wouldn''t be right, so I made myself drink it. After they went to bed my dad said, "That was just horrible! I was wondering if it had turned!" I guess I should remember that we don''t have to eat/drink things to be polite . . . it''s just calories our mouths don''t enjoy and bodies don''t need.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I spent my day off working on chores. One pleasant chore was to get some jewelry cleaned and checked at the mall so I wondered around all the jewelry stores looking to see if there was anything I couldn’t live without; there wasn’t. I always like to look though. I did walk around the entire mall getting in some exercise.
Breakfast was 2 more of my cc muffins, lunch was leftover steak (2.5 oz) and mashed potatoes (3 oz) with fresh fruit and for supper we had tacos. I bought low fat cheese and 93% lean hamburger. I had a ww giant chocolate bar for my nightly treat.
Al, even the low fat muffins that restaurants have are over 400 cals – I guess that is why they taste so good. Enjoy your new bedroom furniture. That will be a real treat for you guys.
Shortblonde, my scale works GREAT on carpet. I weigh about 80 pounds. 5000 cals a day? I’d be ill!
SkippyGirl, I am glad the ice is helping your knee!
Princess, I agree life is good. It’s so fun to find tight clothes now are loose. Congratulations!
DeeJay, I’m glad to hear your surgery went okay and sorry to hear you have to take it easy for so long. At least you have PS to keep you entertained for awhile. Yeah, for loosing more pounds! Yes in this part of the country you can have all 4 seasons in one day. Sorry to hear your leg is hurting pretty bad this evening.
Mara, I’m with DeeJay, I’m going to have to try the breyers free chocolate ice cream. I’m a chocaholic too. Have you seen the tiny B&J ice cream cartons? They can’t be ½ cup of ice cream and they are hundreds of calories. Aak! I don’t know if I’m the only Cheerios fan but that is what I eat for breakfast at least 5 days a week. They are quite good.
ChargerGirl, you trip to the beach sounds marvelous. Being in Wyoming I don’t get to see the ocean too often.
Rod, enjoy your day off from exercise and enjoy your treats! I liked what you said about going on a diet depends on making the choice to change your lifestyle. You do have to really want to do it and you have to be willing to work very hard at it. I realize what I’ve done so far is very unusual; I’ve lost all this weight by myself without drugs or any diet program. I am living proof a very obese person can work towards a healthier life and succeed. I don’t know where I found the strength and motivation but I am sure glad I did!
Neatfreak, I hope you get a chance to visit some jewelry stores. They are better than deep dish pizza!
Jeff, it sounds like you had a day of “2fers”. It all evens out, right?
PhoenixGirl, I’m sure you’ll be glad to get home. It sounds like you kept busy while you were there with your family.
Have a great Friday.
36.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Happy friday all!!! i''m excited because today i''m going to see a friend that i haven''t seen in 10 years. we are both so excited and haven''t stopped talking since we got back in contact on monday. it is just as if we never lost touch and she''s moving back.
36.gif
i think i lost a pound just being so excited to see her. lol

anyways i was really good yesterday. i worked out, ate healthy, and then i went to my aunts house where she had gourmet cupcakes---red velvet, devils food, cappuccino melt, and a few others...they all had delicious frosting--one even had frosting made out of fluff!!! soooo yummy. it wouldn''t have been so bad if it wasn''t 9:30pm.
23.gif
and of course i had to eat 1 and "sample" (aka gorge) the others.
20.gif

i''m going to get in a quick workout this morning though before i meet my friend. i am going to do some pilates and ab exercises. i might be able to get in a walk later on, but i''m not factoring that in today...its just a maybe at this point.

deejay i''m glad everything went ok for you.
neatfreak---what is WRONG with your friend? lol doesn''t like jewelry.
23.gif
pizza over diamonds
32.gif

mara don''t even get me started on ice cream...chocolate chocolate chip from haagen daas is the ultimate choc. lovers ice cream. i used to eat a pint a day when i was in hs. i''d buy it on the way home and just eat the whole thing and the kicker---NOT gain an ounce.
18.gif
if i did that now i''d need to be cut out of my house.

theres a cool site called
http://www.calorie-count.com you can search foods by manufacturer or maker and it gives the food a letter grade. ch ch chip got a D+...lol

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a good day. The scale moved down again. Yeah! I''ve lost 109 pounds now. We''re off shopping today so I''m going to look for more "bargain" clothes and drool over jewelry. Life is good.

Have a great day!
36.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually Mara, you''re right. I hadn''t had enough calories yesterday and it caused me to feel weak on the elliptical last night. I also didn''t sleep well last night, though I''m not sure being calorie deprived was responsible. I just couldn''t shut down last night and finally at about 12:30 AM, I got up and drank a beer. That helped, but I woke up about every hour after that. So, not a great night for me. I''ll likely sleep better tonight, though we''re getting up earlier tomorrow than we normally would to go work out and then head down to the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota.

Marcy, your continued weight loss without drugs is an inspiration. I hope you have a great time shopping for clothes and jewelry!!

It''s Friday!!! Today will not be a calorie restricted day for sure!!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, out for a couple of days and there are so many posts!! Hope that everyone''s fourth was great!

Marcy - wow! congratulations! that is amazing!
Princess - Hi!
Skippy - Glad the knee is feeling better, but still need to be careful!
Danielle - 3 Weeks of walking only? Blah. Oh and to answer your question, since May I have been running five days a week (Mon-Fri) - it is super tough to do on Mondays but by Friday I am trying to beat my best time for the week. I have to have some sort of motivation worked in there...

Everyone that lost a little more (inches or weight), Congratulations!! It''s so exciting to read success stories.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let the madness begin... So this morning I got on the scale and it said I weigh 2.5 lbs more than yesterday. Now really I DO NOT weigh 2.5 lbs more than yesterday, but this just feeds into my fear of undoing all the good I've done over the past 7 months by not being able to work out for three weeks. From a calorie standpoint I only took in 1216 yesterday, and I regard every morsel of food as public enemy #1 since I have no opportunity to work it off. I can feel my hard earned muscle turning to fat even as I sit here with my big a$$ firmly planted in the chair. The next weeks are just going to be MISERABLE...
39.gif

Skippy, I think I'll take a pass on the HH carrying me around like a princess... He tried that one time right after we got married (I think he was actually even carrying me other the threhold, ha ha) and whacked my ankle on the door frame so hard I cried.
6.gif

Kimberly, sometimes you just GOTTA have fries. They are my biggest weakness. As much I love chocolate peanutbutter icecream I would take a nice crispy batch of super thin fries any day!

Neatfreak, I have fallen victim to the baked Cheetos myself, especially the crispy ones, so I know exactly where you're coming from. Now I get them in the 100 cal pack which *sometimes* stops me from having too many (the problem is there are no Cheeto Police living in my house that prevent me from going for a second snack pack... )

Jeff, yah for the double workout and the double dogs and burgers!

Rod, thanks for the suggestion about taking twice as much Tylenol. I actually felt pretty good this morning right when I got out of bed, but now that I'm in my office and hobbling around trying to get things done it's starting to throb again.
8.gif

Mara, I think I'm going to try this Celsius drink. ANYTHING that is supposed to work to get my metabolism up over the next several weeks is fine with me! Let me know which flavors are good (and more importantly if any are totally gross!).

PG, good for your parents for working out too. And LOL on "oh are you sweating?" 8 lb weights and a 14" step--I should think so!!

Marcy, 109 LBS -- YOU ARE AMAZING!! Good luck on the hunt for more bargain clothes. On the 4th I went to the Talbots outlet and got 2 pairs of pants (in a SIX!) with wild prints on them, a cute pair of black patent leather loafers and a workout tee shirt -- all for $31!!! I totally do not need those crazy pants but they were $7.25 each (gotta love the clearance rack) and I thought, hell, even if I only wear these once each they are still worth it.

NYC, I'm afraid to get grades on some of the things I eat, ha ha. I might find out that my entire diet is a big fat "F"!

Stephanie, running five days a week is amazing. And I love that you set a Friday goal for yourself to keep motivated.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 10:46:02 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Skippy, I think I'll take a pass on the HH carrying me around like a princess... He tried that one time right after we got married (I think he was actually even carrying me other the threhold, ha ha) and whacked my ankle on the door frame so hard I cried.
6.gif

Dee, you are too funny. Okay, yes, bad idea especially since he hurt your ankle; we want you to heal not be in more pain.
2.gif
So sorry it is throbbing. Try and put it up if you can. Yah, for 2.5 lbs, holy smokes!

Mara, you always always crack me up w/the Woman at the end of your sentence!!! hehehe

Kimberly, I hope the AC is back up and running.

Rod, today is the day!!! The Ritz, whoo hooo! I hope you are very pampered
9.gif

Good job Princess w/the sandwich switch.

ChargerGirl, you trip sounds grand!

Great job Neatfreak, Jeff, Stephanie, Marcy (yah for 109) and Phxgrl on the workouts!!!

I had a good day w/food yesterday. Today I think hubby and I are going to see Transformers. I think I will try doing some walking Sunday. My knee is getting better each day and the ice helps and not pushing myself.

9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay.......Deep Breaths.......Deep Breaths..........You DID NOT gain 2.5 pounds overnight. And, you WILL NOT lose any of the muscle you''ve built by taking three weeks off. And, your metabolism WILL NOT slow down from three weeks off from working out. I read an article in Men''s Health just this week, in which it said it takes 12 or more weeks of totally not working out to begin to negate the positive effects one has built up over time. So, don''t eat less than you''ve been eating and don''t worry about the time away from working out. If anything, you might find that taking the time off will help you do even better when you go back.........Deep Breaths.........Deep Breaths. PS: had to laugh at having your ankle whacked when you were being carried by hubby.

Skippy, the Ritz is tomorrow, but thanks for the happy sentiments!! We''re only having one (extravagently expensive) night at the Ritz. Our gift certificate is for $500 and that will cover one night, taxes, parking and pre-paid breakfast for us both. It won''t even include dinner! How do people manage to stay at a Ritz for like a full week or more???? Reminds me of one of my favorite (you''re probably too young to even know them) Abba songs.........."Money Money Money, It''s a Rich Man''s World"

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
morning wwt''ers! so far today i''ve had fage with raspberries and slivered almonds, and i''ve got tj''s black bean and corn enchiladas for lunch. i am done with dog-sitting, so i''m planning to bike after work today.

fire goddess, i don''t know if you''re out there lurking, but i took your suggestion of tj''s artichoke ravioli with lemon/fage sauce for dinner last night and it was yummy. thanks!

i have been craving strawberry shortcake for a while now, so last night at the grocery store i got some sugar-free angel food cake and had a chunk of that with lots of fresh sliced strawberries and some cool whip. more processed food than i like to ingest on a regular basis, but it sure did hit the spot! i also got tons of fresh fruit and veggies - i love summer - and also managed to find the lite firm tofu that i love. i''ve tried multiple stores but all have been out of it for the past month until now. i was so excited i bought 3 boxes! so stirfry, here i come!

dj, i agree with rod that you shouldn''t worry about the scale fluctuations, just keep eating healthfully and you will get back on track when you are feeling better.

marcy, congrats on more pounds lost.

mara, those rootbeer floats sound yummy!

phoenix, nice that you get to go home soon but it sounds like you''ve been pretty successful while away.

skippy, hope your knee is feeling better.

nyc, have fun with your friend!

rod, i hope you enjoy your trip to the ritz. i''m quite certain i''ll never stay there unless someone else is paying for it!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
have fun rod!!! live it up at the ritz and let us know all about it---i''ll live vicariously through you.
1.gif
i wonder how much dinner will be there? i can''t imagine spending a whole week there....must be nice to have bill gates wallet once in a while.
9.gif

dee--2.5lbs. is NORMAL fluctuation---stay OFF the scale...i swear scales were made to torture women back in the day...like corsets weren''t bad enough.

yay for your knee feeling better skippy...my dh wants to see transformers, so i''m going to have to go too and listen to him talk about the awesome cars and whatever other guy things are in it too--at least josh duhmel is hot
9.gif

marcy you are a big inspiration to me--109!!!! keep it up. its amazing what we can do when we really try.

i just did my morning ab and pilates workout....now if i could get in a walk sometime later i''d be happy. we''ll see. happy friday.
35.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/6/2007 11:27:58 AM
Author: Rod
DeeJay.......Deep Breaths.......Deep Breaths..........You DID NOT gain 2.5 pounds overnight. And, you WILL NOT lose any of the muscle you''ve built by taking three weeks off. And, your metabolism WILL NOT slow down from three weeks off from working out. I read an article in Men''s Health just this week, in which it said it takes 12 or more weeks of totally not working out to begin to negate the positive effects one has built up over time. So, don''t eat less than you''ve been eating and don''t worry about the time away from working out. If anything, you might find that taking the time off will help you do even better when you go back.........Deep Breaths.........Deep Breaths. PS: had to laugh at having your ankle whacked when you were being carried by hubby.

Skippy, the Ritz is tomorrow, but thanks for the happy sentiments!! We''re only having one (extravagently expensive) night at the Ritz. Our gift certificate is for $500 and that will cover one night, taxes, parking and pre-paid breakfast for us both. It won''t even include dinner! How do people manage to stay at a Ritz for like a full week or more???? Reminds me of one of my favorite (you''re probably too young to even know them) Abba songs..........''Money Money Money, It''s a Rich Man''s World''
Rod,
Have a great time "Puttin on the Ritz." (an updated version by Taco)

Have you seen the well-to-do.. Up and down Park Avenue.. On that famous thoroughfare.. With their noses in the air.. High hats, and arrow collars.. White spats, and lots of dollars.. Spending every dime.. For a wonderful time
If you''re blue and you don''t know
where to go to why don''t you go
where fashion sits
Puttin'' on the Ritz

Young enough to be very familiar with these songs.
9.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mara, ick, so sorry about the heat. I keep seeing the headlines about the scorcher out west when I check the news.

NYCSparkle, that''s so neat your friend is moving back.

Marcyc . . . 109 pounds . . . whoo hoo!

Dee Jay . . . sorry to hear about the scale today. 1216 calories definitely isn''t a lot. Maybe your body thinks you''re in starvation mode and your metabolism is slowing down? Or maybe it''s just muscle and water retention. I think a range of three pounds for your weight is normal.

Rod, sorry about the bad night . . . hope you''re better rested tonight.

Well, being away wasn''t too bad. I was 124 with clothes on just now (I''m usually 122 to 126 without). I really felt like I was eating well and keeping up my exercise although I definitely walked slower with my dad. And more of my new clothes are starting to feel loose . . . they have to be freshly washed or else they start to slip. I guess my body is still changing. My mom tried to convince me to get a size 4 skirt two and a half weeks ago because she thought the 2 was too tight on my hips, but already it''s not tight anymore.

We''re going out to one of my favorite restaurants tonight . . . a French place. And I''ll wear a new dress! Although now that I''m eating less red meat and potatoes, I''m not sure what I''ll get, probably fish. A friend''s company gave me a $100 gift certificate for being on a panel for them, and DH and I haven''t seen each other since Sunday so we thought it''d be a good night to go. After a few nights of hospital food and eating in I''m looking forward to it.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2007 12:13:42 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 7/6/2007 11:27:58 AM

Skippy, the Ritz is tomorrow, but thanks for the happy sentiments!! We''re only having one (extravagently expensive) night at the Ritz. Our gift certificate is for $500 and that will cover one night, taxes, parking and pre-paid breakfast for us both. It won''t even include dinner! How do people manage to stay at a Ritz for like a full week or more???? Reminds me of one of my favorite (you''re probably too young to even know them) Abba songs..........''Money Money Money, It''s a Rich Man''s World''

Rod,
Have a great time ''Puttin on the Ritz.'' (an updated version by Taco)

Have you seen the well-to-do.. Up and down Park Avenue.. On that famous thoroughfare.. With their noses in the air.. High hats, and arrow collars.. White spats, and lots of dollars.. Spending every dime.. For a wonderful time

If you''re blue and you don''t know
where to go to why don''t you go
where fashion sits
Puttin'' on the Ritz

Young enough to be very familiar with these songs.
9.gif
My My My, don''t we date ourselves???.........LOL I loved Taco''s version of Puttin on the Ritz!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2007 9:24:39 AM
go work out and then head down to the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota.
HI:

Rod: Gosh I love that spot--and Sarasota in general. Have fun and a good sleep!
DeeJay: Hope you''re feeling and healing well.

Congrats to those feeling and lookin good!

We''ve been melting here, so I have not been exercising outdoors all that much; the love the heat but it makes me laaaazzzyyyyyyyy.......better get to the gym and the a/c.....

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For all you fellow Starbucks lovers you might want to know this little tidbit: since they stopped using transfats in their bakery products and replaced them with other fat sources the calorie count of many of them has gone UP. Take a look at the nutritional info of anything you get and make sure you''re not being snipered by extra cals. I was looking something else up and realized that of the two cakes I often get for breakfast one has gone up 50 cals and one has gone up 80!!!
6.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rod, i'm going to disagree with you on not losing muscle mass in a few weeks, most everything i have ever read says that your body starts to lose hard-earned muscle within 48 hours after your last workout if you do not work those muscles again. sure in a few weeks you aren't going to go from a ripped hard body to flabby and sad, but overall your body does want it's muscles to be worked out consistently if you want to keep muscle tone. so DJ i would plan to do some muscle resistance stuff, not just the regular gym stuff you do. time to get into doing pushups, situps, leg lifts (on the ground on your side and on all 4s) etc...start figuring out how to use your body to raise your heart rate to get mini workouts in without having to be on your leg or on the elliptical. that'll keep you in some type of shape while you heal.

when i was down for the count back in Jan due to that weird stomach pull/ailment...it was a few weeks before i could really work out without pain..and it really sucked. even walking hurt at some points. so i just did whatever i could at home with weights and body resistance stuff, but really i just watched what i ate pretty carefully. when i got back into the gym, i didn't gain any weight, i also think i did lose muscle and some endurance from the time off, but your body will get back into it quite easily. i only felt like maybe i was 'set back' a week or two in reality from my goals. and as long as you don't start eating the entire house, a few weeks off will not be a huge setback, remember this is a healthy lifestyle and slow and steady wins the race. in the scheme of things 2-3 weeks is not a big deal when you have years ahead of you to practice what you do now. and actually this is a good test for you...like it was for me. i was totally paranoid about gaining weight back while not working out but in reality i think i gained like 2 lbs maybe...and that was because greg's mom visited and we were not as active, yet were eating out for like 5 days. and after i got back into it and was able to work out again, i dropped a few more lbs and got to my lowest weight. so sometimes a break can be good. just take it easy!!

though i will second what PG said about people not eating enough cals in general...not focused on you DJ...in general. i think that is what was happening to me...why my body was trying to put on weight. i was eating like 1200-1400 during the week and the trainer said that is not enough for the workouts i was doing (and many of you here do more than i do and eat less sometimes!). i have not weighed myself in a week now..and i feel so good about it by the way, because i can SEE positive changes in my body from my hiking and new workout regime AND the changes i have been making to my diet..i have been eating more healthy cals and with that, more lean protein. i definitely am starting to see a bit more muscle here and there, nothing huge but i don't look as soft in the ab area for sure and my arms are slowly getting more defined. so i am really enjoying not having to deal with the scale, esp as my clothes still fit fine...my smallest smallest clothes are still not super comfy but they aren't tighter hahaha...so i am going to keep doing what i am doing and see what else my body does. i am still a size 4 so that's good, but not 'near a 2' like i was originally.

anyhow, very happy so far with the changes just within a week. i look at myself daily naked in the mirror so i feel like i see tiny changes others won't when i am dressed. but even in wearing clothes now that i wore 2 weeks ago...i have this thin finely knit white sweater on with eyelet along the sleeves and down the front that buttons and it shows that my arms are definitely getting more toned and my midsection seems less 'soft' visually in it. yay.

so anyway, on the food tip...this morning i had kashi go lean with blueberries and raspberries, and a few scrambled egg whites. got about 20g protein and it was about 210 cals. for snack i had one of these new smoothies that Hungry Girl talks about, they are called Lightful and they are 90 cals in ready to drink containers, 6g protein, and 6g fiber. i got the chocolate one, and i mixed in 1/2 a togo packet of strawberry protein powder. so the snack was about 18g protein and 130 cals total. lunch is going to be light wheat bread toasted and TJ's chive and onion egg white salad for 5g fiber, 20g protein, and 200 cals. i have fage and fruit for snacks this afternoon.

after work i am going to hit the preserve to do a 4-5m hike depending on time and then for dinner i think we are taking the train into a surrounding town area to walk around and have dinner. i am thinking maybe mediterranean, or possibly this awesome noodle house we love that we have not been to in a while...i am kind of craving their coconut lemongrass chicken noodle soup...mmmm. we shall see!

PG so funny about the story with your mom and her workouts. that is like my mom who works out pretty hard (spinning and walking/running) but then she is always like 'why do i have this little belly' as she eats a 3 scoop ice cream sundae or something. she has a total sweet tooth and indulges all the time and is in denial that it is why she has a belly hehee. parents are so funny.

marcy, huge kudos on continued weight loss and staying active! you go girl. jeff, awesome on 2 workouts...!

sb...your eating always sounds so nice and fresh hehee. you are such an inspiration for sure! i love the sf afc with berries and ff whipped too. and the TJ's artichoke ravioli are verra tasty..i haven't tried them with the lemon/fage sauce yet tho.

nyc...mmm cucpakes are right up my alley. i wouldn't have been able to stop at just sampling the others. it's my coworker's bday on monday and our team goes WAY out for stuff like this. so i am making yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting for her, and another gal is bringing in my ultimate weakness, donuts...and there will be a lunch out and all sorts of other fabulous items i am sure. so i already know on monday i am having a cupcake and a donut and i'll just have to eat air for dinner. hehe.

DJ...i don't typically eat stuff at sbucks or any of the other places really, esp since i make coffee at home so i rarely get over there. but even so, there's just not enough nutrients in general for the calorie counts and they never keep me full either. i'd rather have something really bad like a donut (which isn't REALLY bad either, like 300 cals) once every 2 weeks. i love my morning brekkies at home big time. though i am tempted by Peet's apple bran muffin which is something like 230 cals and looks pretty heavy from the weight.

hope everyone is enjoying their friday so far....and looking fwd to a fun-filled sunny weekend. we sure are!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, you can disagree with me any day!!
31.gif
11.gif

I'm sure it's possible one might lose some muscle mass in a couple weeks, but I don't think it would be significant and the articles I've read seem to say it takes longer than a few weeks to lose much. There's a guy who goes to our gym who had to have an operation and he was out for over a month. He's one of the 'uber' guys, so I was curious to see how not working out for an entire month affected him and to his surprise, he still looked like an 'uber' guy and still had large muscles. He also commented that after that month off, he made greater strides on building muscle quicker than when we was working out daily before the operation. So, I guess my point to DJ was that in all liklihood, she would not suffer much from three weeks away from the gym. And Mara, your advice to DJ on doing situps, pushups, etc., is good as long as her DR., thinks it's OK for her to do it.

Also, your comments about increasing calories (healthy protein filled calories) is right on I think. I was not good by being so calorie restricted yesterday and I should know better than to have worked out as hard as I did, but consume so little. Your comment about looking at your naked body and seeing changes also hits home. For the last few weeks we too have been adding additional protein to our diets and I know we both see differences. In particular, I can see changes in my chest (pecs), which has been a problem area for me since I started Rebuild Rod, but all of the sudden, things are firming up and taking much better shape (remember I bought that tighter more revealing T-Shirt on the 4th??
10.gif
) and I have to attribute it to the increase in protein. I've also asked a lot of the guys we've come to know at the gym who are pretty big and while some of them might have used steroids to gain mass (they sure haven't offered they did when we spoke), they all agreed that they've used a lot of protein to build bigger muscles.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I tried on the jeans that were comfortable at the start of summer and (right out of the dryer) I can pull them on and off without unzipping or unbuttoning them! Yay! And my new jeans that were tight tight tight are now my comfy jeans. So the old ones are now being given to my little sister and I''m down a pair of jeans. Two, when I get back to the rest of my clothes and get rid of the old ones. In fact, I''ll have to go through and try on my old stuff to see what I can take to the Salvation Army...yay.

So I rewarded myself at lunch: Rosemary chicken with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies. Mmmmm. I''ll admit, I didn''t get the "health club" choice, but I did go with the smaller portion, and I enjoyed some guilt-free mashed potatoes with butter. Mmmm. I''m going to be bad after work and have a drink or two, but it''s the last day of my internship and I''m celebrating!

3 hours left until I''m done with my internship. Starting Sunday, I can sleep in for 4 whole days! Thursday I see my boyfriend...oh boy. I''m in a fantastic mood.

I hope everybody''s having as good a day as I am.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol rod re: disagreeing.
5.gif
yep, i would imagine that someone who is 'uber' wouldn't see THAT much difference, as i said in my note....i don't think all the muscle is going to fall off and be replaced by flat within 3 weeks...BUT i have read a ton of articles that say that within 48 hours you do start losing some of your hard-earned muscle. and for someone who might be 'normal' with not a lot of muscle to begin with...not like an 'uber' lifter who is probably packed with it...then i think it might be more noticeable to them. i definitely felt like i had to 'come back' a bit from a 3 week hiatus, it only took me a week or two to feel back in the groove. i don't think a few weeks off is detrimental in a horrible way, but i also think one should be realistic about what to expect. and definitely DJ should be sure she has dr approval but i would imagine that her knee won't get in the way of doing things like 3 or 5 lb arm weights while sitting down or leg lifts on the side, or situps etc. just basic resistance training. come on D...build some muscles woman!

and yeah i definitely agree on the protein thing...greg was like 'i am going to come home and you are going to have a mustache and body builder arms' from all this protein i am eating, but in general i am really not doing anything extreme. i'm right in the middle of the required range for my age with working out 5-6x a week, and my spark people range is like 70g to 160g i think and i am eating like 110-120g on average the last 5 days. also serious body builders consume like 200-300g which is just soooooo much more hahaha. some of those protein powders are like 50g per scoop, wow and people eat them like 3x a day?! i am just doing like a 1/2 scoop every night for dessert kinda thing. and i am also eating lean proteins so i would imagine i'm not going to bulk up all crazily or anything. i am totally keeping an eye on it. i just want a tiny bit more sculpted look and some ab definition...and also i'd like to burn some fat and create muscle instead so that my pants will be bigger like yours have been rod. hehe.
3.gif

off to a grooming appt....then when i come back i'll have my egg salad on wheat lunch. hope everyone is having a great afternoon. kudos princess on the loosey jeans, fabulous news.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL on Greg''s comment you might grow a mustache!!! Greater muscle definition, sure, but additional body hair, not too likely!!
31.gif

Just 2 hours till Sushi/Sapporo Time!!! YAY!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday All,

Rod, enjoy sushi, saporro and your night at the Ritz!

I''m inundated with school work still and have spent tons of hours in front of the computer today. I think I''ve got two assignments left before I can consider myself done. My brain is tired.

I had a bad dizzy spell last night at dinner, I don''t think I''ve been getting enough iron (I''m anemic), so John is making steaks for dinner. Yummy!

Have a great day all.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2007 4:00:52 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Happy Friday All,

I''m inundated with school work still and have spent tons of hours in front of the computer today. I think I''ve got two assignments left before I can consider myself done. My brain is tired.

I had a bad dizzy spell last night at dinner, I don''t think I''ve been getting enough iron (I''m anemic), so John is making steaks for dinner. Yummy!

Have a great day all.
Thanks Kimberly! Oh no on the dizzy spell. Are you taking an iron supplement everyday? If you''re anemic you should.

Here''s a list of foods that are high in iron:

Liver and other meats
Seafood
Dried fruits like apricots, prunes and raisins
Nuts
Beans, especially lima beans
Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
Blackstrap molasses
Whole grains
Iron-fortified breads and cereals (check the label)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 4:18:46 PM

Date: 7/6/2007 4:00:52 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Happy Friday All,

Have a great day all.
Thanks Kimberly! Oh no on the dizzy spell. Are you taking an iron supplement everyday? If you''re anemic you should.

Here''s a list of foods that are high in iron:

Liver and other meats
Seafood
Dried fruits like apricots, prunes and raisins
Nuts
Beans, especially lima beans
Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli
Blackstrap molasses
Whole grains
Iron-fortified breads and cereals (check the label)

There is iron in my multivitamin, that I''ve been forgeting to take lately! Regular iron pills make me sick to my stomach, so not an option. I''m good about eating nuts, beans and iron rich meats, I think I just need to remember my vitamins and I''ll be alright. Yesterday served as a great reminder! Thanks for the info, I''m going to try to add a few more iron rich foods into my diet!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!! Happy Friday! I finally made it back to the gym today. Last night, I fell asleep at 8pm and didn''t wake up until this morning. Oops!

I ran three miles today 36:48, not terrible, and not my best. My leg seems to be holding up, a tiny sore, but I think I will ice and stretch and be fine.

I am not feeling that great in general - I am having a bad case of heartburn and a weird stomach ache. Could have been something I ate, so we''ll see how I feel tomorrow! We are visiting friends this weekend and my gf & I have planned to work out at some point. So we will be active!

Kim - happy to hear about your hair! Sorry to hear about your dizzy spell!!!! That is scary!

All this ice cream talk gave me a huge craving, so I had some frozen yogurt this afternoon. For some reason these days regular ice cream (full fat or low fat) make me sick to my stomach, so I stick to yogurt now!

PG-sounds like everything was good with your rents & your sister. Parents are really funny about their habits. I won''t even get into mine, but my dad does call me the "food police" when I am at their house!

Marcy - yay another pound!! Great work!

Dee-I hope you survive these next couple of weeks without going too stir crazy! I would definitely clear with your doc. any exercise plans, you don''t want to put yourself out for even longer!

Rod - whoooo, the Ritz. Fi & I are staying at the Four Seasons for part of our honeymoon and we are definitely still having sticker shock. I REALLY don''t know how people can do that for a regular vacation. I hope we don''t spoil ourselves too much!

NYC - hope you have a good time with your friend - that''s so cute about losing a pound just from being exciting.

Skippy - glad to hear your knee is improving - I know it''s frustrating, but sometimes patience is all you can have!

SB - your modified strawberry short cake sounds yum! I love tofu stir fry - it really keeps the calories down, and veggies are always good! Yum, yum!

Princesss - great progress!!! Giving away a pair of jeans is the perfect excuse to buy a new pair!

AlJ - yay, new furniture!! Do you love it!?

Chargergrrl - sounds like you are doing great with your diet. Working out is hard, but maybe if you ease yourself into it. I know the more I work out, the more I WANT to work out. So maybe just commit one day per week and see where it takes you. And think of allthe other benefits of working out besides losing weight!

Jeff - I don''t know that song, but good for you doing a double gym day!

Neatfreak - have fun walking around! Glad to hear your scale boycott is going well.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, My husband is out playing golf so I am at a friend''s house so naturally I had to check in on PS. Wow, we walked a TON today. I did see some very nice jewels too. My favorite was a pair of dangle (on wire) heart earrings (like most heart pendants with about 16 diamonds) with G VS1 diamonds. They were gorgeous but certainly out of my price range. My husband found a watch he wanted but it was almost as much as the earrings so we just moved along. I also found a WG diamond / sapphire tennis bracelet 50% off but the sapphires were pretty dark. It was fun to look anyway. I am very excited because we walked both flours of a big mall, then walked about 8 city blocks to go to another store and ate lunch near there. It wasn''t the best lunch diet wise but tasted great and after all the walking I figure there is no way I gained any weight today. I had a 1/4 lb burger with swiss cheese (only ate 1/2 the bun) a few fries and about 4 oz of coke. For breakfast I had 2 pieces of french toast and part of a mimosa. I don''t know if we''ll eat much supper but I have some baked doritos to snack on.

Rod, Stephanie, DeeJay, Skippy, Shortblonde, NYC, PhoenixGirl, Mara, Danielle, thank you very much for your kind words of encouragment about my weight loss. It is pretty freaky to me and I really can''t believe what I see in the mirror. If I''d tried to walk this much a year ago I''d be laid up for days and my feet / knees would be screaming. I probably wouldn''t have made it outside of the mall.

NYC, mmm cupcakes. There is one setting on the kitchen counter here they said I could eat but I think I''ll resist. I''m looking forward to wedding cake next weekend - not that I''m not excited my friend is getting married - but I am looking forward to a piece of wedding cake.
DeeJay, I can picture your husband carrying you around and smacking your ankle. Ouch! and that sounds like my luck. I seriously doubt you put on 2.5 pounds in one day especially with eating only about 1200 calories. Maybe you are just retaining water or something from not moving around very much. I hope your pain level goes down.
Skippy, enjoy the movie and that is great to hear you can go for a walk soon.
Rod, Holy Expensive Hotel! That''s a lot of money for one night at a motel. I would treaure every moment of it. I''ll be anxious to hear if it''s worth that much money.
Shortblonde, your strawberry shortcake sounds yummy. I was pretty bummed out to see how fattening even the lite cool whip was calories wise. I like strawberries and cool whip on pancakes so I will have one on a weekend sometime.
PhoenixGirl, enjoy your dinner out tonight. That is great to hear your scale was good to you and that new clothes are loose. Yeah!
Sharon and Mara, sorry it is so hot where you live. It''s been a hot summer here so far too.
Mara, that is great news clothes fit better you in ways that you like. That is a good idea to watch for small changes in your body. I think seeing any change is great reward and motivation.
Princess, that is awesome you can pull your jeans off and on now without unzipping them. That is quite a dramatic change. Yeah. Congratulations on finishing your internship and for getting to see you BF soon.
Kimberly, sorry to hear abour your dizzy spell. I sure notice if I don''t eat protein I get pretty weak. I hope you perk up again soon.
Danielle, I hope your stomach pains go away. It sounds like you had a great work out and your legs are not hurting much anymore.

Have a great evening!
35.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay on all the walking Marcy. Isn''t it amazing to realize you''re doing something you could not have done even a year ago. Sometimes I see myself in the mirrors at the gym and I have to do a double take as I''m like, who''s that doing those unassisted chin-ups and then I realize, IT''S ME!!! It shows that it''s NEVER too late to make gargantuan strides in one''s health and fitness!!

Sounds like you had a really nice visit with your parents and sister for the birth week Phoenix. And how terrific your parents are fitness minded and helped you stay on track!!

Glad you''re so happy about being reunited with your friend NYC!! And thanks for the calorie counter link!! And also thanks for the good wishes on our night at the Ritz tomorrow!! And yes, wouldn''t it be something to have Bill Gates Wallet?? We keep trying to win the lotter, but it''s not working out too well for us.......LOL

Good deal on the jeans fitting looser Princess. Isn''t it great when your hard work shows??!!

Danielle, I''m glad your leg is feeling better and you had a good run. Charlie and I have stayed at the Four Seasons on Maui and the Big Island on several occassions (all free when our company used to make big bucks and it was our annual reward). I think Four Seasons Resorts are absolutely wonderful. I''m sure you''ll truly love your time there on your honeymoon!! And there''s nothing wrong with spoiling yourself too much either!!

Dinner was just terrific as usual. We had our "thank you for waiting" waitress. She''s so cute. She tells us what''s hurting her with each visit and tonight, her neck was hurting a bit. Then she reaches out and hugs us as she delivers our drinks and appetizer. It was a stunning evening in Tampa. We had rain earlier in the day, and somehow a front sort of went through and there''s much less humidity and the temps were below 90 all day. That''s VERY unusual for Tampa in July. I guess all the heat decided to go play in the west and central US, thank you very much!! Of course we had coffee and a scone at Starbucks. Thanks for the information DJ about Starbucks treats - I actually don''t like their scones too much, so I get mine from Panera - but I also know my scone is not a low calorie treat, but is one well deserved when I have one. Anyway, it was just wonderful under our oak tree. Then we drove home along Bayshore, with the top down on the SLK and it seems there were so many people out on the sidewalk either skating, running, biking or walking. It''s such a beautiful waterfront street we live on and we will never ever take our life on it for granted, that''s for sure. Then we came home, changed into our swim suits and sat in the spa for a while then took a nice dip in the pool as the sun was setting and we got to see the most beautiful sunset illuminated over distant puffy cloud formations. Ahhhhh....such a hard life to live, eh??
31.gif

I''ll check in later, but probably won''t be able to check again until Sunday after we return from the Ritz. We''re not taking a laptop on purpose!!

I hope you''re all enjoying a wonderful Friday night.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday Evening All!

Glad you had a great dinner, Rod. Drive safely tomorrow and good for you for leaving the laptop at home!

Marcy, sounds like you had a great day, I''m so glad! A late "Congratulations" for another lb. lost, that''s just fantastic.

John is making steak for dinner, as I mentioned. I''m hungry and it smells good, should be eating any minute now. I''m still feeling a bit low on energy and am hoping the the meat will be exactly the pick me up I need. I dread the thought of having to take iron pills!

Have a great night everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results