shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 2nd July till 8th July

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all and Happy 4th July!
emotion-19.gif

Speaking of which, this week will have an abundance of hot dogs, burgers, tater salad, cornbread, CAKE etc for you all to enjoy! So there are a couple of ways this can be handled and it will in no way derail anyone's programme with a little planning. You can either just enjoy the day and eat what you want, then workout a little harder the next couple of days, or eat selectively and up the workouts too for a bit. But above all remember we are in this for life with our health maintenance, and that in the scheme of things, enjoying and celebrating a special occasion with our loved ones is what is important. A splurge occasionally won't hurt, it is when you keep on doing it that the scales may start to move in the wrong direction!
32.gif

So have a great time!!!
35.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Hey lorelei--i def. plan to splurge a bit on wednesday and i know i will def. splurge on sunday...so i plan on working out a little extra this week. i do plan to be cautious of the drinks i take though, because those yummy cocktails can really blow your calorie intake out of the water..lol..now i know how i gained weight in college
20.gif

anyways does anyone have a cute 4th of july dessert? possibly low in calories too? oh...and not the red, white, and blue jello thing-
14.gif
also i know someone here has to have a great black bean and corn recipe---i had some over the weekend and it was delish, but it was at a restaurant.

i also went to a restaurant on the L.I. sound this weekend and the food was delish. my friends and i ordered so that we could all taste each others food. i restrained myself from gorging on this yummy fried chicken over garlic potatos dish my friend ordered. they also had a yummy veggie antipasto basted in a herb and vinigrette dressing.
3.gif
. ....i think i need to eat breakfast soon--i''m making myself hungry.

i have noticed a change in my ab area
9.gif
. my pooch is waaayyyy smaller than it was and FINALLY the love handles are starting to hide themselves. i still weigh the same, but my body is definately changing for the better. i have been keeping up with exercising using exercise tv. i go for walks daily, but the tv thing is great. i never have an excuse now--i just do it. they have all sorts of cool workouts that i''ve been wanting to try, but would never buy so its great.
this morning i''m going for a looonnnggg walk with my son and then do some pilates when the baby goes down for his nap.

have a great day everone! today is the day you CAN change!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you enjoy your splurge NYC and congrates on the reducing pooch, that is a huge accomplishment!!!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone.

This is a huge vacation week in our industry. Most of us are closed for the week.
Enjoy your time with family and friends.
Eat, drink a little, and be back at the gym on the 5th!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just dropping in to wish everyone a great holiday!

I''ve stopped trying to keep up in here, too much going on for my old brain.
32.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the weekly opener Lorelei. For us, the 4th is our anniversary, which means we''ll have been together 27 years on Wednesday. My how time flies, as it still seems like yesterday........... But we probably won''t undulge too much. We''re not going to any parties or anything and we''ll be working out sometime during the day, so we''ll likely be pretty good. It''s this coming weekend we are likely to splurge. We''re heading down to the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota for one night of lavish luxury. And we''re eating in one of our all time favorite places Saturday night, called Michael''s on East. We''ve had this gift certificate for the Ritz for over a year now and we finally made the reservations a few weeks ago. It''s amazing that one night at the Ritz, parking, taxes and breakfast will eat up a $500 gift certificate, but that''s what it costs to indulge in divine elegance.

Good for you seeing a dramatic change NYC. It''s wonderful to see the real benefits from a healthier life and fitness.

Sorry, you''ve been not cheking in too often Ellen. I hope you''ll continue to check in often and let us know how you''re doing.

It''s really hot in our office this morning. I sent everyone home, but am staying myself. The A/C system is broken and in Florida that''s not a good thing. I think I feel a little cooler air coming out of the vents, but it''s just sticky and uncomfortable to say the least. If it doesn''t cool down by noon, we''ll go home and work from home.

Have a great Monday everyone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday morning!

I had two great workouts this weekend, and it's a good thing becuase I think I'm going to be out with clients tonight and tomorrow night with no chance to get to the gym. Not that I think I could go to the gym anyway thanks to my blister. Last night I was looking at the blister pad thing I had put on and it was all crooked and crinkled up so I decided to take it off and put one on a little better. Well, I succeeded in ripping off a huge (think two quarters side-by-side) piece of skin along with the adhesive thing. YOWCH!!! I thought, oh not big deal, I'll just go to bed and it'll be better my morning. NO!!! You should have seen me gimping to work this morning. I really should not have done that...

On the willpower front I brought 1/2 peanut butter sandwich for breakfast (only 235 cals as opposed to over 400 cals if I do the whole sandwich) but there was an e-mail from one of the portfolio managers that we have donuts in the kitchen (whenever someone in my office gets pregnant they have to bring donuts in). I took the sandwich I had already taken a bit out of, put it in the fridge, and started to peruse the donut choices. Then I mentally slapped myself, got the sandwich back out, and ate it. No empty Kirspy Creme cals for Dee this morning!

The taco fiesta that I had requested for dinner last night didn't exactly pan out as I had planned. The HH decided to do smothing a little "fancier" than ground meet in taco shells. He spent the whole day making shreaded pork with some sort of slightly cinnamony red sauce with slivered almonds in it and served that in soft tortilla shells with all sorts of sauces. Very good but not exactly the down and dirty Mexican I originally had in mind.

Marcy, congrats on such a successful shopping trip!!! I am so hesitant to buy a bunch of new clothes right now but I really do need to get at least a few pieces. It's funny, I was walking to work this morning and I though this is the last summer where I won't be wearing something super cute every day because by next summer I will know what size it is I'm going to stay and I'll be able to stock up the closet on things I really want to wear.

Sorry for the long ramble all!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! ouch deejay--that sounds horribly painful. yay for not giving in to the krispy kreame 500 calorie unsatisfying urge. i''m jealous of your splurge weekend rod...it sounds divine. i had a fiber one bar for breakfast and some cantelope. i''m heading out for my walk soon..its perfect weather here today.
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning!!!

I accidentally hyper extended my knee and I sort of feel it is bruised inside; it is very tender to the touch (if all that make sense). I am resting today and icing it since it hurts. That means no step tonight and I will walk tomorrow.

Hey Ellen!!! It's always nice to see ya!

Wow, PHX how exciting about your sister!!! Nice that she has workout dvd's!

Marcy where do you live that it is 104 degrees; I live in Albuquerque and tomorrow it is suppose to be 101!

Wow, Monarch on not eating the brownies you made for hubby. I would have eaten them; nice!!!! Sounds like you are doing very well w/your eating, kudos!!!

Modified Brilliant, enjoy your time off! Better see you back July 5th
31.gif

Rod, yum to sushi and a day off! CONGRATS to 27 years!!!!
36.gif
You were a baby when you met Charlie
2.gif
That is truly wonderful news; congrats again!!!! The Ritz
31.gif

Lorelei, great opener!!!

DeeJay, yah to the 2 great workouts but I am sorry about the blister. Mine is getting better but yours sounds super ouchie.
8.gif

ShortBlond, gosh those bites are no fun but kudos on the 6 mile hike!!!

Kimberly, yah to a good workout yesterday and fun house hunting!

Mara, nice walk and nice to the shiny clean car
3.gif

Happy Monday and JULY!!!!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 9:51:42 AM
Author: NYCsparkle
Hi all! ouch deejay--that sounds horribly painful. yay for not giving in to the krispy kreame 500 calorie unsatisfying urge. i'm jealous of your splurge weekend rod...it sounds divine. i had a fiber one bar for breakfast and some cantelope. i'm heading out for my walk soon..its perfect weather here today.
36.gif
yum to fiber one. I think I am not going to buy those since they are so yummy that I end up eating 2 or 3 a day. hehehe

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

Skip, house hunting was a ton of fun. There are several wonderful homes on the market, a few that need some TLC and a few that are move in ready, but all really great houses that I can see us making "home."

Rod, you''re a good supervisor! Happy early anniversary to you and Charlie; 27 years is quite an amazing feat! The Ritz sounds like a perfect way to celebrate.

I have to fill out all my loan aps for school today and complete a project, plus it''s a work day, so I''m not sure I''ll squeeze in a workout today, but two in a row over the weekend makes me happy!

Our 4th is going to be quiet. We need to start prepping the house to put in on the market. There''s some sprinklers that need fixed and a bit of straightening up to do inside and out. It''s going to be quite the adventure. Maybe we''ll head to our local park for a bit to join in the celebration their throwing, we''ll see.

Have a great morning all.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone! I am always a few days behind! I read the thread, but once I''m done reading, I have no time to respond!

Well, I have been battling a tight hamstring/butt muscle for a week or so. I had a crappy day at work on Friday (amazing it could be that bad in only 4 hours!), so instead of hitting the gym right after work, I headed out for some shopping and relaxation. We had early plans for Friday night, so I never made it to the gym, but my leg was thankful the next day. It felt much better, and I think I did need a rest day.

On Saturday, I planned to wake up, do the exercises in the Core Performance Essential Book, and then head to the gym for a 5 mile run. I did the core exercises (Which are really cool, and seem really good so far!), and then did a weight workout that I had from a couple of years ago. My Fi woke up and wasn''t feeling that great, didn''t want to go to the gym, so I convinced him that we could go walking together.

We wanted to mail out our wedding invites, so we decided to walk to the Post Office. The trip there and back was 5 miles, so although I wasn''t running, we kept up a pretty good pace! And, I am extremely happy to have those suckers in the mail!

Well, whatever exercise I did on Saturday really messed up my butt muscles! They are still sooooooooo sore after 2 days. I iced them and have taken some advil this morning. I am going to the gym tonight, but I don''t know what I''m going to do - it hurts when I walk!

NYC - great news about your abs shrinking!!!

Rod - congrats on 27 years! Have fun at the Ritz!!!!!

Lorelei - we don''t have any barbecue''s this week, but maybe we will do something just the two of us - we''ll have to get right back on track though!

Jeff - I wish I were off this whole week!
2.gif

Dee - yay on resisting the donut! They really are quite unsatisfying for how many calories they are!

Skippy - sorry to hear about your knee! Good idea on resting it though - I''m sure you''ll be back in action soon!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah......that was it, I was a baby when we met!!! Thanks Skippy! I wish I had the day off though. I just sent all my employee's home because the A/C is off in our building. It's like a sauna in here and with the heat and humidity, I feel like I could just curl up and go to sleep.

Jeff, I hope you are taking your own advice!!
28.gif
Good to see you. We don't see nearly enough of you though.......

DeeJay, good for you avoiding the donuts. I haven't had a donut in soooooooo long, that I'm not sure one would taste as good as I remember. I used to LOVE the fried and glazed donuts. When I was a teenager, my parents owned a Mister Donut and Baskin Robbins across the street from each other (I actually worked at night in the Baskin Robbins) (is there any wonder why I was an obese teenager??) and I used to take a freshly fried and dipped glazed donut across the street to Baskin Robbins, where I'd plop two scoops of Fudge Brownie icecream on it, then I would ladle hot fudge sauce all over it, then sprinkle nuts on it and finally top it off with whipped cream and a cherry. Now, that was dessert!!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
my bike ride to work this morning was successful - yay! it was a beautiful cool morning and i really enjoyed the trip. of course, it helps that this way was mostly downhill, it''s heading home later today that will really be the challenge. the good news is i can shower once i get home if i''m all sweaty.

i had a pumpkin muffin for breakfast, and lunch will be tj''s black bean and corn enchiladas and half an apple. i think i am going to try a modification of kimberly''s deep dish pizza recipe for dinner. i also have some beautiful fresh local strawberries for dessert.
18.gif

lorelei, a good reminder about occasional splurges. still waiting for pics of jasmine...even bad ones would be appreciated at this point!

nyc, cooking light has done some really pretty cakes and tarts with fresh strawberries/blueberries for the 4th.

dj, bummer about the blister, but good job resisting the donut.

marcy, congrats on all the new clothes in your smaller size. i think it''s really important to buy yourself at least a few things to fit your current body, even if it''s not where you think you''ll stay, because it''s such a great motivator to feel good in your clothes.

rod, you are a good boss letting them go home and not swelter...but you should go home too!

skippy, hope your knee feels better soon.

kimberly, have fun with the home improvements!

danielle, keep gently stretching your muscles, it really is the best way to get thru soreness. hope you feel better soon.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We intend to celebrate our last day of the Canada Day long weekend with a trip to the zoo. I love the long walk, and are always exhausted when we get home. Of course, this trip will involve hot dogs, french friens and of course swirl (choc/vanilla) soft ice cream. Sounds like a lot of calories, but the walk balances that out.......

DeeJay--was that 7 Eastern of Mountain Standard time? I think we missed you and drank those marg''s all by ourselves....(and I bought Cabo Wabo just for you.....)
2.gif
9.gif

Enjoy your day folks--as you all gear up for your own National Holiday & celebrations...

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all...happy 4th of july week. i am so looking fwd to this wednesday hehee. this weekend was way too short yet fun.

i am too lazy to scroll back and see who asked for a 4th of july dessert, but we plan to make the peach blueberry crisp that was featured on the cover of Cooking Light this month, it looks sooo tasty and i think it''s only like 250 cals for a serving (and it seems like a pretty big serving) and then i am going to get breyers free vanilla for 90 cals a scoop so a serving will be about 340cals. much better than the 1000 cals that you typically ''spend'' on crisps or cobblers ala mode at restaurants. i may even replace sugars with splenda blend for baking which will drop cals more.

congrats rod and charlie on 27 years, WOW. and yes you were babies when you met, that''s so amazing in today''s day and age..and fabulous.

skippy lol re eating fiber one bars all day, i made the mistake ONCE of eating 2 within a few hours and yeah you definitely feel it, i don''t think i have done it since, hehe. but they are pretty tasty for sure.

so i am starting to try to eat more protein in my diet per the trainer i talked to on friday...and eat a bit more cals during the week as well (mostly in the form of additional protein). i also am adding a bit more muscle resistance training back in aka things i do at home like ab work, and pushups, jumping jacks etc...i like doing that and in the past i have seen results for sure by doing it 2-3x a week only, for like 15 minutes. no big deal time wise and if nothing else it jump starts the metabolism a bit and gets my body a bit more active. so last nite i did a bunch of ab and situp work and then did about 3-4 sets of pushups. over the wkd i also did about 200-300 jumping jacks.

breakfast this morning was 1/2c of optimum slim cereal, 1/2c of all bran cereal, 1/4 sliced peach, 10 blueberries, 1/2 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder and almond milk. with coffee. for lunch i brought spicy habanero egg white salad from TJ''s and a mini bagel, i will toast the bagel then eat the salad on the bagel (or i might walk over to the cafe and get 2 slices of wheat bread, we''ll see). i also want to get some fruit at whole foods today if i can fit a walk over in...and i also brought a fage for snack later (13g protein) and a fiberful and a luna bar.

the funny thing is that again i can see my body changing and morphing thanks to the hill walks and hikes i have been doing. i love seeing my body change..it''s really fun. but i swear my belly is still the bane of my existence, i feel perpetually bloated. oh well, i will keep plugging along. i also am going to try not to weigh myself for like 2-3 weeks (it''s so hard because the scale is just there at the gym calling to me) but i think that mentally it just sets me back a bit and i need to just focus on doing what''s right for my body and move along. i realized when i was losing weight originally, i was eating a bit more than i am now during the week and didn''t weigh myself hardly at all. so i think i need to get back into that mentality. the trainer called me ''scale obsessed'' and i think he''s right. time for me to break free...it is definitely about how i look and how i feel and how my clothes fit. so i''m going to focus on that.

anyhow, happy week all...hope you are having a good day/afternoon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THanks Lorelei for the weekly opener.
HAPPY 4th of July WEEK everyone!
I don''t think I''m going to splurge this Wednesday. I splurged for our anniversary, and don''t think at splurging so closely to that is a good idea. We are having hamburgers, but they are lean, and we got a SUPER flavorful cheese so that less goes a long way. And those sara lee buns Mara mentioned. It is going to be GREAT to sleep in on Wednesday though.

NYC-- that''s great news about the body changes you are seeing. Congrats!

Rod.. wow 27 years is great! Splurge or no.. have a wonderful Anniversary week! We had brunch at the Ritz for our Anni this year and it was fabulous! Have FUN!

DeeJay, congrats on passing on the donuts! Every Friday here some cruel person brings in 6-8 dozen hot Krispy Kremes. So on Friday mornings I usually grab my oatmeal and vanilla steamer and huddle in my office. LOL.

Skippy! Your poor knee! I hope it feels better soon!

Kimberely, I''m happy to here that the buyer''s market is really working for you!

Hi Danielle, please don''t overdo with your muscles hurting like that!

Gonna have to try the FIber one bars for sure.

All is well for me today. Boss and her boss are out. Not a lot to do as many folks are on vacation. So I get to catch up on that that stuff that''s been building up on hte back burner.

I''m still a little sore from the serious deep tissue massage work I had done on Saturday. I also had my first facial, which was okay. Got my hair cut too. So all in all I''m feeling nice and pampered. And motivating myself for another spa day soon... 15 pounds to the next spa day!! YAY

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Great opening post, Lorelei! I hope to stick making it just a HoliDAY and not a whole HoliWEEK.

Oh, it feels nice to be back posting and checking in. I''m happy to be back on the bandwagon here on WWT.

Last week was just simply AWFUL, I was a wreck and induldged like crazy. I''ll try to keep it short and sweet: My friend was set to be married in August (i''m her MOH). It turns out that she has a pretty serious gambling problem and lost a lot of $$ during a biz trip to Vegas. Her FI cancelled the wedding, as this isn''t the first time she''s fallen off the wagon. I knew she had a "problem", but not this BIG! So she went into hiding after her trip, which was right before her shower. I had to go into spin mode, and stop the arrangements, contact guests, etc... I attempted to reach out to her numerous times, but she didn''t really respond. Just wants everything/everyone to go away. She''s in total denial and not taking responsibility for what she did. She really can''t as she''d just not in "that place" right now. She needs serious help. I''m really trying to be supportive but it''s hard to help someone who doesn''t want to help themselves. Plus, a lot has surfaced about her since this happened. Makes me think if I "really" knew her.

Well, she finally started reaching out to me end of last week, but now I''m numb. Don''t know what to say to her. It''s also hard not to take sides, especially when her ex-FI is just being a good guy during all this. He''s heartbroken and in bad financial shape now. I know that I will have to face her soon, so I''m learning all I can about gambling addictions. I want to help, but not enable her. A couple of us (and her ex-FI) are going to a Gam-Anon meeting tonite. I just hope it helps me understand...

Sorry for the rambling, just had to share.

So... Here I am ready to start a new week and undo what I did last week. I''m one of those emotional eaters, who reach out for food when things aren''t good. I''ve planned my meals for today and am on the right track. Whew!

Here''s to a new week!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the congrats all. I think 27 years is a pretty nice accomplishment. My brother has been divorced twice and I always laugh that he's supposedly the "normal" one. LOL

Good idea not getting on a scale for 2 - 3 weeks Mara. I truly believe it's a ball and chain and messes with our minds and psyche's as long as we succumb to it's evil natured way. If you have one at home, put it in a closet. And just walk past the one at your gym and snub your nose at it. I also agree it's really fun to see one's body change. I must admit that with all the hard work on my body, I still get a glimpse of myself in the mirror without clothes from time to time and I can't believe I'm looking at me.

Shortblond if it doesn't cool down soon, I am going home. We had lunch at the mall and so enjoyed the cool air, but now that I'm back in the office, it's just stifling. Ugh........good thing I put on extra deodorant this AM. LOL

Charger.......what a story about your friend. People with addictions like that are difficult to really know. All you can do is hope your friend doesn't just reach out to you as a means of comforting herself, but reaches out to you for help in getting the serious treatment she needs. The person I feel sorry for is her FI, but he did the right thing as she would surely ruin his life big time if he had gone through with the wedding. Sad story for sure.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello WWTr''s! Lorelei, thanks for another great opener, I won''t feel too guilty indulging a little this week since the weather is so nice and I can get some extra time in walking in addition to other workouts.

Rod, congrats on 27 years and happy early anniversary in case I don''t get to type that on the 4th! The Ritz sounds wonderful, what a fab way to celebrate!

Charger, so sad to hear about your friend. I think it''s great that you are supporting her by going to a Gam-Anon meeting, and I hope she is able to get her life back on track, as well as her ex-FI.

NYCSparkle, TGal posted a black bean and corn recipe on the WWT about a month ago, and I posted it again on the vegetarian recipe thread. Basically you take two cans of black beans, rinsed, and two cans of sweet corn, come bine those and add cilantro and the juice of about 4 limes, and salt and pepper to taste, refrigerate it for a few hours and serve it chilled, very good and very nutritious! I''m no good at desserts, sorry I don''t have anything creative for the 4th to recommend. Mara''s suggestion of the peach cobbler/crisp thing sounds great, though! Very summery and festive!

Ellen, LOL!! I can barely keep up with these threads either. Today is probably the first time I''ve responded to more than 1-2 people in one post in a loooonnng time. Don''t worry about keeping up, just check in and let us know what you''re up to!

DeeJay, sorry to hear your band aid took off all the skin underneath, yikes! I think I recall just leaving mine on for a few days until they either fell off in the shower or things were totally healed. It''s on your heel, right? Maybe you can wear slides or mules for a few days while you recover? Ouch.

Skippy I hope your poor knee gets better soon. I''ve never hyper-extended anything so I can''t empathize but it sounds very painful.

Mara, I''ve always felt the same about my belly, it seems so flat in the morning but by mid-afternoon it is no longer flat and it really drives me insane sometimes. Walking or working out seems to help with it, maybe because I''m sweating out some of that retained water or getting bulk moving or something? Anyway, yeah, forget about the scale for a while and see how it goes. When I start getting scale obsessed I put the thing in the closet where I can''t even see it, or I imagine to myself "what if I didn''t even own a scale, or it was broken? Would I survive without it?" That kind of helps.

I need to go fix myself something for lunch, probably a LC of some sort, quick and easy. Breakfast was (this will sound weird) mandarin oranges with vinegar-marinated sliced cucumbers and diced red onion. I know, strange combo but it was good! Haven''t decided yet what we''ll do for dinner, maybe we''ll grill tonight since I have plenty of veggies on hand, and DH can have chicken or whatever he feels like. After lunch I plan to walk for about an hour and then come back and sit on the patio with my book and get some sun!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, I forgot to say this morning that was a great opening message! I think keeping things in perspective and making adjustments is so key to long term success.

NYC, the first time I saw that red white and blue jello thing in a magazine I was just totally memerized--and not in a god way, LOL! I actually even read the recipe to see how they did it.

Jeff, enjoy your week off!

Ellen, that "ol' brain" excuse ain't gonna cut it here! What's new?

Rod, 27 years--that's amazing! That's 3 times as long at the HH and I have been married and I feel like we've been together *forever*!

Skippy, owie on the hyper-extended knee! I've done that a few times and it's so not fun. Be careful and take it easy for a little while.

Danielle, a five mile walk to the post office--that's really impressive, especially since I bet those invitations were heavy on the way there!

Shortblonde, what kind of pumpkin muffin did you have this morning? I completely forgot about the ones that we were all so keen on making last winter until I read your post. Hmmm... wonder if I can get the HH to whip me up a batch...

Sharon, I wondered what happened to you last night! Fortunately we have lots of leftovers so you have plenty of opportunity to mix another pitcher and come on over tonight!

Mara, what sort of things are you adding in for protein? That's probably my biggest shortfall and I know more protein would do me some good.

Gypsy, what kind of person brings in all those donuts EVERY week? I totally could not resist them all the time. If I knew they were coming in each Friday I would be like a Pavolivan dog and start drooling all over myself on the way in to work in anticipation!

Charger, wow, that's crazy about your friend. And good for you for getting right back on track.

Monnie, unfortunately my blister is on the ball of my foot so I can't take a step without being right on it. You should have seen me this morning in the shower standing with one foot up like a flamingo.
20.gif
I swear even as I'm just sitting here at my desk with my feet up on a garbage can that I can actually feel my pulse throbbing in my blister. That's just crazy!!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Fourth!

Rod - 27 years! That's amazing. Congratulations
Dee - What caused these blisters?? Sounds awful - hope they get better soon! And congrats on passing up the doughnut. Of course, all I can think about now is one, but it'll pass.
Skippy - Sorry about your knee.. Take it easy. Knee injuries are tough and can take some time to heal.
Danielle - What a great way to get two things done at once!
Mara - I think that I am going to have to try your trainer's advice to put up the scales. It's really a deterrent rather than a motivator for me
Chrg - Sorry about your friend. It's great that you are taking such a proactive step to get her help.
Date: 7/2/2007 7:20:00 AM
Author: NYCsparkle

i have noticed a change in my ab area
9.gif
. my pooch is waaayyyy smaller than it was and FINALLY the love handles are starting to hide themselves. i still weigh the same, but my body is definately changing for the better.
Congratulations NYC! BF said that to me this weekend - that's the only place on his body that he accumulates any type of fat. So the fact that mine is going away just makes the tables a little more even!

I have taken everyone's advice and have started making caloric changes in my diet. Hopefully, there will be some positive movement out of that. Also, I am going to reintroduce strength training into my workouts three times a week (I run five days a week.) So, I'll see what these changes do in the next few weeks.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2007 3:25:26 PM
Author: Stephanie
Happy Fourth!

Dee - What caused these blisters?? Sounds awful - hope they get better soon! And congrats on passing up the doughnut. Of course, all I can think about now is one, but it''ll pass.

We took a long walk the other night and I chose cute over comfort and now I''m paying the price with this nasty blister. All this just to have my sandles match my sweater.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, Honestly Friday's here are the MOST unhealthy days. Several groups have brunch clubs going... so it's danishes, highfat quiches, deep fried egg rolls, if you get lucky bagels with something other than white flour, no low fat spreads though, donuts, grownies, coffee cake, corn bread, cookies, breakfast burritos (real eggs scrambled, tons of cheese and hashbrowns in a tortilla with some salsa), AND the person who get donuts for 'everyone' each time.

I HAVE to park by the cafe to get my oatmeal and steamer THEN come into the office with that in hand. Fortunately the steel cut oatmeal is REALLY filling so I'm okay in the morning, and on Fridays I HAVE to eat out someplace b/c if I forget I'll just grab whatever is on hand which on Friday's is terrible. And I always grab a fruit snack for aroung 3:30 when I get a little munchie.

ETA: I always pop my blisters and slather them in neosporin with pain relief. Then bandage them. Hope your foot feels better soon.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All...

Rod that is so cool about you and Charlie being together 27 years...just wonderful!!
deejay, yay for resisting the donuts..hubby wants us to come to chicago so we can walk to ben and jerry''s with you guys. he thinks that sounds just so cool.
skippy, take it easy, i hope your knee feels better soon..

so, hubby is off work this week and we''ve got his entire family coming in. we''ve got tons of fun activities planned for the week. Today though, we decided to do the 3 mile trail around the golf course, it''s very smooth with no huge hills so we decided to take the dog and the kids on a family walk. Hubby pushed Lily in the stoller, i walked Zoe and my 5 year old rode her bike and made it the whole 3 miles, I was so proud of her. It took us about an hour in a half but it was great to get the kids out and moving..

oh and Mara, hubby commented me to me that my butt was looking tighter and I was so excited thinking...yay, all this walking is finally paying off
36.gif
it''s so nice when hubby''s notice the changes and make comments
1.gif

I hope everyone has a wonderful week...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kudos on hubby butt props mrs salvo, it definitely is nice when they notice!!

DJ it actually is very hard to get enough protein when you stop and think about it!! i was researching it this wkd and i was like gosh it''s going to be really hard to reach 100g nevermind like 110-120 like he wanted me to get. for women who don''t really work out like 60-75g would be fine but for me he said i need a lot more to build muscle and burn fat.

meats and cheeses really have the most protein. but cheese proteins are not super healthy for you, so much fat. so limit those. but lean meats like chicken and turkey are positive. fish also has a ton of protein....like a serving of shrimp is like 15-20g i think. a 3.5oz serving of chicken breast is like 15g and 100 cals.

another great source is nuts and beans. like soy nuts, 3 tbsp is 130 cals and 10g protein and 5g fiber. add them to salads and stuff or just eat them raw as a snack. luna bars have 10g protein and 5g fiber and 180 cals. the 5.3oz container of 0% fage is 80 cals and 13g protein, quite a lot for yogurt. the light n''fits only have 5g protein and 60cals.

apparently certain fruits have a high protein base as well, like peaches, pineapples. you can google to read more on that. oh egg whites are a great source of protein. for lunch i had a mixed green salad with 1oz feta, garbanzo beans, red cabbage, shredded carrots and balsamic for like 250ish cals and 11g protein, not bad. i also had a mini wheat bagel toasted with TJ''s spicy habanero egg salad for 110 cals and 9g protein, again not bad.

i am going to try to experiment with protein shakes too, like 2 scoops of the protein powder i have is 16g protein and 130 cals. so i can do that and then a 1/2 banana, strawberries and raspberries (i want to be sure to continue to get my higher fiber intake as well), and a 5.3oz fage, splenda, and some ice cubes for like a 275ish cal morning shake with about 35g protein. that''s awesome. i think i might try that tomorrow as i don''t have any early morning calls to detract from my experiment hehee.

and also for desserts i might try doing protein shake mixes but with cocoa and chocolate for a more dessert feel. like a scoop of protein powder, 1/2 fage, splenda, ice, banana, sugar free chocolate syrup (or cocoa), and a tbsp of better n''peanut butter would be about 210 cals and about 16g protein.

anyhow that is as far as i have gotten research wise, hope that helps. it will be hard for me to ''mindlessly'' make the 110g of protein, but hopefully i can keep plugging away at it and then eventually i won''t have to think as hard hehee. i am used to just adding fiber in mindlessly but protein not so much. and i think before i was only consuming maybe like 70g on average per day which for as hard as i work out is probably not enough as the trainer said, if i really want to get rid of more fat and get more muscle/toning.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Rod, happy 27 years together!!! In this day and age of quickie weddings and even quickier divorces, that''s practically a miracle! Congrats to you both -- it''s just wonderful
36.gif

And speaking of wonderful, Mara, I am SO trying those cherry muffins you posted in the recipe thread. They sound deeeelish!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I missed the hurt knee part Skippy. So sorry and hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the continued well wishes everyone!!

So cool that your husband noticed that tighter butt of your's Mrssalvo!!!!
36.gif
31.gif
Enjoy your family this week too!

DeeJay, have you tried (instead of Second Skin) Liquid Bandaid? I've found Liquid Bandaid sometimes works better in some situations, particually situations in which it can become moist like in the shoe area. And I'm sorry for laughing at your reason for having the blister to begin with, but hopefully you've learned fitness is not the time for color coordinating one's wardrobe LOL (sorry again.......Rod Slap Thyself!) One of the reasons I found this funny was sir Charlie wanted to take a walk last night (before we heard thunder), and he decided since he had an orange T-shirt on, he would wear the new flipflops he bought with orange in them. I was like, are you're crazy? You want to be color coordinated on a fitness walk???

Mara, you know I'm a big believer in protein shakes. And you can get protein mixes that are higher than 16 grams/serving. And the higher quality brands can taste really good. We use the recommended amount of protein powder, ice cubes and fat free milk (sometimes we add banana or blueberries or some other fruit) and put it in the blender after our workouts. My new favorite protein powder these days is 'Muscle Milk,' which you can get at any GNC or likely most supplement stores. I think even Smoothie King sells it in bulk.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, thanks for the neosporin advice. And all those people are going to be fat and sorry some day!

Mrs. S., absolutely! Just remind me to wear TENNIS SHOES!

Mara, this is very interesting. I've been out cruising the net and I really am not taking in as much protein as I should. Hmmm... have to pay much more attention to this. Let me know if you find any fabulous foods or products as you go down this path.

Rod, LOL, this didn't start out as a fitness walk. I *thought* we were just doing to dinner a few blocks from the house and the next thing I know we're on a four mile hike to B&J. Normally when we do something like this I wear my big ugly blue and white New Balances and anybody who doesn't like the way I look is free to look at something else!

Funny thing is I got these sandles to go on the trip where the HH and I got engaged (yes, 10 years ago) and I wear them about once a year and every time I say, damn, these aren't very comfortable, and then I put them back on the shoe rack only to go though the same thing the next year. Maybe my mission for the 4th (among other things) should be to find new brown sandles to replace this piggy killers.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Yay for Rod and Charlie - 27 years is FANTASTIC
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

So I read through everything and it sounds like everyone is doing really well. I don''t think I can respond to everyone all at once, but I''ll try to get in at least a few. My car died this morning (dead battery on a 3 year old car - we''re not sure what''s wrong with it, but what a pain!!), so I''m a bit stressed and flustered.

Thanks for the opening Lorelei - I will not be indulging very much this 4th, we have a potluck picnic with friends but I can probably bring some healthy stuff to that and just eat the stuff I bring. I will, however, be indulging quite a bit when we leave for our one year anniversary trip on Sunday - I''m so excited I can barely sit still thinking about it!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
6 days/5 nights in wine country - we''ll taste wine, wander around cute little towns, we''re going horseback riding in a beautiful national park with redwoods and eating lots of yummy food. I''ve promised myself I won''t count calories at all all week, but will just enjoy. I will, however, make a conscious effort to try to be aware of what I''m eating and only eat as much as I truly enjoy and appreciate, not just keep eating because its there. Hopefully that will keep me from gaining too much weight while we''re there (but I''m working extra-hard at the gym this week just in case
2.gif
).

Dee - those blisters sound dreadful. I remember when I was a ballet dancer in high school I used to get horrible deep ones, and they never really had enough time to get better. We used to dry them out with rubbing alcohol and leaving them open to the air as much as possible - definitely not comfortable, but sometimes effective.
23.gif
I remember sometimes they were so painful they would keep me up at night - I really hope yours gets better soon!!!

MrsS - congrats on the kudos from hubby. Mine has been really supportive, but I think he''s getting sick of hearing me talk about it
20.gif
I guess that''s why I need to come and post here more often!!

Gypsy - that sounds dreadful with all the tempting unhealthy food at work!! I have to be careful to try to avoid most of that where I work. Fortunately, its easier now that I''m working only in my lab because we''re geographically a little isolated and so I miss most of the pizza lunches and stuff like that. I think its great that you''re sticking with it though! Could you keep extra healthy snacks at work maybe? I keep a box of my favorite whole grain cereal in my car - its really yummy, and I can eat a handful for a quick snack or grab a Fage at TJ''s and mix it in
18.gif
Maybe if you kept some really yummy but healthy snacks around your desk or in the office fridge/freezer it might reduce the temptation even more - you could still feel like you''re indulging but just not with what everyone else has brought? your spa day sounds so nice - I could definitely use some pampering after my few long weeks in the lab plus car stress and everything else...maybe I''ll try to squeeze in a mani-pedi before we leave for our trip...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results