shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 28 May Through 3 June

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 9:34:22 AM
Author: KimberlyH
lien,It's my pleasure to share and thanks for the kind words, so sweet of you. I really don't think my mom meant to hurt me feelings (which is why I'm not upset, I truly find it amusing) and she also said lots of nice things about how I look now that I've lost weight.

Check out the WWTers lighter recipe thread in this forum for recipes. Mara has posted a mushroom lasagna recipe that several people have tried and loved. I posted an eggplant parm. lasagna recipe that I make all the time (my Italian husband even likes it). I also make a green chile and chicken casserole that is his favorite in my cooking rotation. Also check out www.cookinglight.com for tons of good recipes. I am not a fan of low-fat cheeses, etc. but I can handle ricotta in lasagna.

I eat unsalted almonds, they're 160 cals for 28 almonds, I usually eat 14. They keep me full and have lots of good for you things (Omega 3s, etc.), I think some health mag named them the #1 snack, at least that's what John told me the other day. So I only eat 14 I put them in a plastic baggy and return the container to the pantry. I never take more than a serving size of food at a time as it keeps me honest, it would be easy to grab 1/2 a can and realize that you've eaten all that was left in a 30 minute sitting.

Today is a work day and perhaps a short exercise day, we'll see. One of the kids decided I make a great gymnastics toy, she kept throwing herself into a backbend while holding my hands during dance yesterday (we were supposed to be dancing in partners to ring-around-the-rosie so I couldn't just let her go) and my back is really sore this morning, grrr. It's been a while since I've had bad back pain so we'll see how the day plays out.

John is cooking tonight. We tried Bertolini (I think that's the brand name?) low-cal ravioli last night and it was actually pretty good at 260 calories per serving. I think it has something to do with the fantastic sauce John made from scratch to top it with, but it's worth a try if you love pasta.

Happy day all.
Many thanks again for your helpful reply and tips/ suggestions. I will definitely check out the low-calorie recipes. What you've mentioned sound so yummy!! I will definitely also try the almonds. That's such a good way to control the amount you eat. I'd never have thought of that. I tend to eat the whole packet or can of nuts all at once!

Oh abt the back pain, my DH used to have chronic back pain , being so tall (6'4") and it got really bad when we moved house and he had to lift a bunch of boxes. He's been to see the osteopath recently and he swears it's disappeared. I don't know how bad yr back pain is, but if it is bad, perhaps you can consider going to see an osteopath?

Yr ravioli sounds so yummy!! i can eat pasta all day long, everyday!!
1.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH, you are a sweetie! I''m struggling with my mom and sister right now, on several fronts, and I will try to be less harsh when I post about them. I am quite annoying in my own right, I''m sure. Obesity runs in my family, a LOT! And there''s a lot of issue with it, and it''s hard not to be catty when I was always the fit one (never skinny, but it''s all relative) and now I''m really overweight. I''m sure I''m getting back in spades what I once put out there, and I''m not proud of myself for that. (Devine lesson about pride coming before a fall, there.) And thank you for posting about the loose skin. I am concerned about it, but like you, I''d rather feel good. The loose skin isn''t attractive, but it''s more attractive than huffing and puffing up a hill and being too worn out to do anything physical.

I''m trying to visualize just how much weight has to come off for me to get that energy back that I used to have. I figured out that when my kids were toddlers they weighed about 25-30 pounds. They were hard to carry for a long period of time. Well, I''m carrying the equivalent of several toddlers permanently attached to my body at all times. Gawd, no wonder I have no freakin'' energy!!! Okay, after I get off here I''m heading for the treadmill!!!

Lien, that clever clothing is both a blessing and a curse! I have that body type that lets me gain pretty much all over so for a long time I didn''t look overweight in my clothing, but it really creeps up on you. Bravo for nipping it in the bud. I don''t have a recipe for it, but it''s on the tofu wrapper (or it was a long time ago). You can use tofu to make lesagna and it''s pretty tasty. I love tofu because it absorbs spices and takes on any kind of flavor. I''m going to get some -- I haven''t cooked with it in a long while, and this reminds me of how much I liked experimenting with it.

DeeJay, you are an inspiration. I am impressed with how you balance your calories with exercise. The shake does sound very refreshing!

Now, off I go!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
32.gif
Oh no -- we just celebrated May birthdays in my office! Oreos, frosted oatmeal cookies, all sorts of other goodies that will lurk around in the pantry all day -- DAMMIT!!! I''m not even going in there for the rest of the day (she keeps telling herself... )

OK, I just looked it up and there are 21 cals per oreo, so it would take me one entire walk to work to burn it off. Forget it--so not worth it. Whew! Catastrophe averted!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2007 2:33:19 PM
Author: Ellen
Way to go on all the wight loss guys!

Lorelei, that really is so cruel to make us wait.
11.gif
25.gif
I know.
31.gif
What do you think it is El - you said you thought you knew what it was....
41.gif
You might be right!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you really want me to say??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 11:03:12 AM
Go on then!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 11:04:48 AM
Author: Lorelei

Go on then!
Well shoot Lorelei, I hope I''m right or I''ll feel terrible for suggesting it...

I thought it might be a new horse.
4.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 11:21:07 AM
Date: 5/31/2007 11:04:48 AM

Go on then!
Well shoot Lorelei, I hope I''m right or I''ll feel terrible for suggesting it...

I thought it might be a new horse.
4.gif

I think so too!! (So we''ll both feel terrible if we''re wrong--at least we''ll be in good company!)
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 11:23:47 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

I think so too!! (So we''ll both feel terrible if we''re wrong--at least we''ll be in good company!)
9.gif
Oh good!

Say, wanna have a drink while we''re waitiing??
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 11:29:57 AM
Date: 5/31/2007 11:23:47 AM

9.gif
Oh good!

Say, wanna have a drink while we''re waitiing??
9.gif

Well of course!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Took advantage of the marvellous weather and had a long walk in my neighbourhood; around the golf course, parks and tennis courts. I was totally engergized! I could sit outside for hours and smell the flowers........ Others seemed to have the same idea, as the sidewalks were busy with folks and their four legged friends.....

Hope everyone is having a great (exercise) day!

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oopths - me back to check this thread specially!

You guessed right! * She* is arriving on Saturday!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:57:53 PM

6.gif

36.gif
Oh Lorelei, I really am SO happy for you!!!!
emotion-19.gif
emthup.gif
emcocktl.gif
emrose.gif
And I can tell how happy you are.
2.gif

I can''t wait to see pics! You must take a ton!
36.gif

hooray2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting Lorelei!!! What's her name? How old is she? Do you have any pics yet? I'm so very happy for you Lorelei!

(Ellen, I think we should have another drink to congratulate ourselves for being right!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:25:08 PM
How exciting Lorelei!!! What''s her name? How old is she? Do you have any pics yet? I''m so very happy for you Lorelei!

(Ellen, I think we should have another drink to congratulate ourselves for being right!)
Me too. Cheers!
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif

I wanted to ask the same questions, but didn''t want to spoil the whole surprise. However, if you wanna tell us.....
9.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I got my first unsolicited (at least one that wasn''t from my husband) compliment today!

So I''ve lost about 12 pounds and two pants sizes (must be that I''ve gained muscle because that doesn''t seem like enough weight to bump me up two sizes . . . but anyway).

A coworker saw me in the hall today and said, "You''ve lost a lot of weight, right? I saw you down the hall this morning and thought, ''Wow, look at her waist!'' Sorry I didn''t mention it before." :)

Yay! There IS a difference! Until now, I''ve been sure that my body was totally different, but no one seemed to notice except my husband and me.

And I can tell a difference in my husband''s compliments. He used to always tell me how "cute" I was, like I was a puppy or a baby or something. Now he says "hot" and other spicy things. :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
phoenixgirl, way to go!
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Phoenixgirl on your 12 lb loss--that''s awesome!!!
36.gif

And miss Lorelei, how exciting! Can''t wait to see your new horsie!
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenixgirl, good for you! Twelve pounds is awesome and it''s always so nice when someone else notices!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read that Starbucks is switching to 2% milk as the default for their drinks with milk in them. (You'll still be able to get whole though.) Hmmm... as if I *need* another reason to go to Starbucks...

So I have a question. Breakfast is one of the hardest meals of the day for me because I really don't like breakfast food (as you all might have noticed based on my early morning rounds with the leftovers!). I was thinking though that maybe some turkey burgers with salsa might be good because then I'll get lots of filling protein too. Are there any MICROWAVEABLE turkey burgers that you think are good? What about Boca burgers or other vegetarian burger type things that can be microwaved? (My office doesn't afford me the luxury of other types of cooking and I can't BEAR the idea of getting up any earlier to cook at home... )

ETA: Holy cow, wait a minute! I was just on Boca's website and they have a TON of different products! Please give feedback on any of the different kinds that you've tried.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
dj, i much prefer morningstar farms products to boca. boca stuff tries to imitate the taste of meat, which i find gross, while morningstar stuff tastes like veggies. my favorites are the black bean burgers. they microwave just fine.

lorelei, congrats on the new horse! i had a feeling that''s what it might be as well...can''t wait to see pics!

phoenix, congrats on the compliment. it''s so validating when someone else notices that your hard work is paying off and always inspires me to keep on keepin'' on.

today i had a cup of kashi golean cereal for breakfast, then went out for lunch with coworkers and had a yummy salad with lots of greens, lump crab, mangos, and a light tangerine vinaigrette. yum! not sure about the plan for dinner yet...i truly haven''t been very hungry for dinner the past few days since it''s been so hot, and i''ve found myself eating just some fruit with fage or salad. maybe a spinach strawberry salad again, the strawberries are so good right now.

tonight i am going shopping for some new warm weather capris - the ones i have from last year are too baggy now (yay!) and i find myself without many clothing choices in this 90 degree heat.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/30/2007 10:51:11 PM
Author: monarch64
LOL! It''s nice to know someone else can relate to the ''infestation'' as I''ve come to refer to it.
9.gif
Although we are not as bad off as some of our friends in adjacent suburbs where they can''t take a step outside in the morning without stepping on them. Yeesh. And they are horribly loud...there is a mature tree right over our detached garage and as soon as I pull into it during the day the noise is almost deafening because there are thousands of them up there shrilling away with their mating song.

I''m glad you popped up here in the workout thread, even if it did take cicada talk to get you to chime in! Good for you for taking two classes a week-spinning is not exactly a light workout! We can always inspire you with the healthy eating we''re always talking about as well, feel free to post here whenever!
35.gif
Thanks so much!
9.gif
No, spin is definitely something I try to forget about as soon as I''m through, so as to convince myself to keep attending. Heh. I do stop by here often to read about everyone''s Greek yogurt fetishes and so forth. Some of it sounds downright delicious.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:57:53 PM

Oh my! Congratulations! I haven''t even managed to acquire ONE horse, much less a small collection of them!
emwink.gif
Great news!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A new horse, Lorelei!!! YAY YAY YAY!!!
emotion-19.gif
Are you going to post pictures for us to see? Have you chosen a name for her?

Lumpkin, I don''t think anything you said about your mom and sister was terrible; we all have weird family dynamics and we each add to them in our own way, don''t feel the need to alter the way you write about them. How people react to our (the collective we) lifestyle affects how we feel and act, that''s normal! And thanks for the kind words, you''re quite a nice lady yourself! Keep up the fantastic work.

lien, I''m happy to have helped a bit. Doling out snacks really helps me. I also have John make me my evening ice cream because I''d put twice as much in...he''s very helpful that way! My back pain is from a car accident that happened about 9 years go; I flipped a small pickup going 90 miles per hour and my vertibrae are all goofy now. I do theraputic massage when I really need it, so if it persists I''ll go see my massage therapist.

Way to go, phoenix! 12 lbs and 2 sizes is just amazing!!!
36.gif

I think I''m going to drag John out for a walk, it''s beautiful outside and the elliptical just isn''t calling my name today. He''s making tacos for dinner, should be yummy!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Lorelei!! Congratulations on your new baby!! I''d love to see photos of her.

Congrats phoenix on the weight loss! That''s great news and it''s so cool when others notice.

I did my workout again today and my legs and behind are killing me!! It''s a good work out though and Im looking forward to doing it again tomorrow

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 4:29:19 PM
I just read that Starbucks is switching to 2% milk as the default for their drinks with milk in them. (You''ll still be able to get whole though.) Hmmm... as if I *need* another reason to go to Starbucks...

So I have a question. Breakfast is one of the hardest meals of the day for me because I really don''t like breakfast food (as you all might have noticed based on my early morning rounds with the leftovers!). I was thinking though that maybe some turkey burgers with salsa might be good because then I''ll get lots of filling protein too. Are there any MICROWAVEABLE turkey burgers that you think are good? What about Boca burgers or other vegetarian burger type things that can be microwaved? (My office doesn''t afford me the luxury of other types of cooking and I can''t BEAR the idea of getting up any earlier to cook at home... )

ETA: Holy cow, wait a minute! I was just on Boca''s website and they have a TON of different products! Please give feedback on any of the different kinds that you''ve tried.
DeeJay, I can tell you all about veggie burgers, just not the Boca brand because I like Morningstar''s goodies MUCH better too! (I''m a vegetarian so I''ve tried a lot of their offerings.)

One of my Morningstar must-haves is the Spicy Black Bean burgers. They''re 140 calories a patty, full of protein (the beans), and they taste SO good. They''re great for microwaving, in fact veggie burgers tend to be super dry if you broil them and with grilling you have to be super careful or they turn into cardboard, lol! Back to the SBB burger: I lilke to keep bagged mixed lettuce salad at home and I just make a salad with the burger and some salsa and maybe a little FF ranch dressing, you can even add sliced avocado or a little shredded cheese for a lunch that''s under 400 calories, it''s very filling and so good. Too bad I already ate dinner or I would make one right now!

My DH used a bag of the "meat" crumbles that is supposed to resemble hamburger when he made Hamburger Helper once (he loves that stuff for some reason, I cannot stand it), I didn''t get to try it but he said he didn''t care for it at all. Keep in mind, though, that he''s a meat eater and this meatless stuff takes some getting used to as far as texture... kind of like tofu if you''ve never used it as a meat substitute before.
9.gif
But even if you aren''t buying these products because you don''t eat meat you are still eating a product that''s much healthier as far as fat content and cholesterol, and calories. In fact, at most of the major baseball parks now (Wrigley and the Cell included) they offer Yves veggie dogs, which really do taste like the real thing (so real I almost spat out the first bite I ever took from one, lol) because so many people have high cholesterol and are looking for a junk food substitute.

So tonight the weather here is a little yucky with intermittent thunderstorms, I was going to brave the infestation and take the dogs for a walk but I think I''ll stay inside and work on my arms again since I''m not very sore from yesterday''s mini workout. I just tried on my favorite pair of JCrew white cuffed pants from last year and they fit well, although last summer I was probably 5 lbs lighter because i remember them stretching out once I had them on for an hour or so, but right now they fit perfect and I''m planning to wear them downtown Saturday night. DH is taking me out to King Crab because we decided we had a seafood craving a couple days ago. (yes, even though I''m vegetarian I get the occasional craving for oysters rockefeller or a small piece of mahi with fruity salsa, I eat fish maybe 5-6 times a year.) We were watching Deadliest Catch, his favorite show, the other night and he loves crab legs, so I asked him if watching the show didn''t trigger a craving for him and he said oh yeah, ha.
9.gif
I''m looking forward to it so much, we haven''t been out to dinner since the night before I had my oral surgery almost a month ago.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shortblond and Monnie, thanks for the advice on the "burgers." I'm going to scope some out this weekend and do a little taste testing!

Went to the gym (although I didn't *really* want to tonight). Did 15 minutes on the high bike, 15 minutes on the treadmill at the highest incline then 15 minutes with it flat, and a final 15 minutes on the lower bike. Total 415 cals. Whew! I've also been very good foodwise today; I should come it an 1295, barring any midnight trips to the candy bag (just kidding!). Tomorrow night though, no workout and the HH is making stuffed mushrooms and pasta for dinner--YUM!

Rod, are you home yet? And Mara, when is your trip over?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

Went for a nice walk with John for about 45 minutes this afternoon through the neighborhood. Had a mini peanut butter cup this afternoon (I managed to avoid enchiladas and cake brought in for a birthday celebration today so I figured it would be alright to eat it)> It''s almost dinner time and I''m hungry!

Have a wonderful evening.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi! I had a busy day today, but managed to get in a great workout circuit training. I picked up some sushi at the grocery for dinner and picked up a calorie counter sheet that they had. I was happy to see that my california roll had only 360 cals and 6g of fat! They make them pretty big around this calorie count is for 12 pieces. When I go out for sushi at my favorite restaurant, I order more than 1 roll, but each roll is smaller around and only 6 pieces. So, eating 3 rolls of 6 pieces each is about 540 cals, actually quite good for a meal out. Yay! And the fish rolls are even lower in calories, and I enjoy them as well.

But unfortunately, I topped off my healthy dinner with more sherbert than I should have. I love fruity desserts (sherbert, popsicles) in the summer!

I have been going around and around about what bezel setting to get... (can you believe it, this project has dragged out for like a month!) and finally decided the heck with it and get a martini set pendant!

PhoenixGirl, congrats on your weight loss. Two sizes is amazing!! KimberlyH, I am really impressed with your amazing weight loss and maintenance. Your eating plan sounds very sensible. Congrats!

I have been tracking my weight and measurements the past month and I have lost a couple inches (literally, like 2 total) and maintained my weight, which is a 19-20 lb loss total from my all time high. Some people would be frustrated to be at a plateau, but I am trying to be really happy about maintaining. I do hope to lose 20 lbs more, but for me it is just very slow. I am happy to eat in moderate portions but I refuse to give up foods I like or starve myself, because I want to have a sustainable plan. So, it might take me another year to lose the next 20 but I am OK with that!!

About the veggieburgers, I''ve been enjoying this great one called Portabella Burgers from Gardenburger company. They are very tasty and take exactly 1 minute to cook in the microwave, and have only 120 cals or 80 (can''t remember offhand). Great snack solo, or great meal on a bun with some lettuce and tomato and onion!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 1:25:08 PM
How exciting Lorelei!!! What''s her name? How old is she? Do you have any pics yet? I''m so very happy for you Lorelei!

Thanks Ellen for her fanfare, which she deserves! I hadn''t planned on getting another quite so soon, but fate had other ideas it seems! Her name is Jasmine and she is a black ( dark bay) 7 year old Thoroughbred cross mare! And she is beautiful! Pics to come when she gets here!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results