shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 22nd May till 28th May

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Rod, CONRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!
9.gif

Lien, welcome to the group!!!!!

I haven''t had time to post, but this week has been great so far!. Rumba class and 10 minutes of abs yesterday and Boot Camp class today!. My instructor told me he was proud of me!
16.gif

In the food front I''m doing pretty good too!.

Tomorrow my little sister gets here and I told her to get ready, because there is no resting while she''s here!!!. She will be my MOH...and this Saturday I made an appointment to go try on wedding dresses for the first time!!!!! I am so excited!!!!.
36.gif
I wanted to wait a little longer to give my body more time to get fit, but I can''t pass the opportunity of having a family member here....so I''m going!...so it will be a strict week so I feel at my best for that moment! hehe

Have a great night guys!

M~

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you DeeJay! I truly don''t know what I''d do if I couldn''t get on the elliptical almost every day and push myself on it. Funny how you ended up doing 31 minutes so you could hit a certain amount of calories burned. I often do the same thing, like today for example. At 35 minutes, I was so close to 575 calories that I added one more minute to hit the 575 calories in 36 minutes. Not that the extra few calories really amount to anything, it''s all in our heads and it does make one feel better.

Thanks Mandarine for the congrats! Much appreciated.

So, I started walking at like 7:15 PM. And I was walking pretty fast and the next thing I knew it was 8:45, so I walked at a pretty darn quick pace for 1. 5 hours. I don''t really know how many miles I walked but am guessing around 5. And it was super breezy tonight. They said on the news that the breeze was in the 20 - 30 MPH range so at times it was a challenge. But it was fun because the wind was whipping water over the seawall and you never knew when you might get salt pray on you. People were dodging the spray and laughing all over the place. It was actually a lot of fun. I missed most of American Idol, but the wrapup seemed to show Jordan in the lead, at least that''s how it seemed?

Nite nite all!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been lurking and you all are amazing!

Congratulations on your job, Rod. My husband just started a new job after looking for about 5 months. It really is harrowing, the job search. Even if it wasn''t the position you hoped for, it''s a good position and the commission will be nice!

I''m not working out as much as you all are, but I''m coming from a less fit place, so my 2 miles on the treadmill 4-5 times a week is a lot for me. I also just started Weight Watchers and it looks like a really good plan. As you lose weight they account for it and you gradually reduce your food intake (regarding the plateau issues). Plus, you get to eat more when you''re active! That wasn''t part of the plan before, and I like it because instead of just "waiting" for things to happen, you get to be a lot more proactive.

Anyway, I''ll probably just lurk for the most part, but I wanted to tell you that you all are very inspiring!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2007 10:21:34 PM
Author: lumpkin
I''ve been lurking and you all are amazing!

Congratulations on your job, Rod. My husband just started a new job after looking for about 5 months. It really is harrowing, the job search. Even if it wasn''t the position you hoped for, it''s a good position and the commission will be nice!

I''m not working out as much as you all are, but I''m coming from a less fit place, so my 2 miles on the treadmill 4-5 times a week is a lot for me. I also just started Weight Watchers and it looks like a really good plan. As you lose weight they account for it and you gradually reduce your food intake (regarding the plateau issues). Plus, you get to eat more when you''re active! That wasn''t part of the plan before, and I like it because instead of just ''waiting'' for things to happen, you get to be a lot more proactive.

Anyway, I''ll probably just lurk for the most part, but I wanted to tell you that you all are very inspiring!
Why thank you Lumpkin. Yes, job searching is at best a harrowing experience. Please offer my congratulations to your husband too.

And don''t be a lurker. Sounds like you''re doing really well with your treadmill and Weight Watchers. Please feel free to join our healthy family here and if there''s anything we can help you with, don''t hesitate to ask or comment. This is a wonderful thread full of wonderful and caring people who are all interested in living healthier, longer, more fit lives. So, stick around and be an active participant. OK??!!
36.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi everyone! I completely blew my goal of eating healthy at dinner tonight. First of all, everyone was late and I was early so I began with a glass of wine while waiting. Then, it was so darn late before we ate that I had a bit of calamari and 2 (small) rolls b/c I was starving! I ordered a whole wheat pasta with chicken and veggies which was great!! but I ate more like 2/3 of it (or even more) instead of half which was my goal. At least I was moderate on the alcohol and I passed up dessert. I did go for a nice walk after and got fro yo from that 10 cal/oz place instead. Also, I am so sore from the trainer that I can hardly move, but I did go for a 30 min jog (slowly) to try and burn off a few cals. Also, I ate extremely light the rest of the day (which is probably why I was starving at dinner time!) Tomorrow is a new day... but I have plans to eat out at both lunch and dinner so I will have to be careful!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
evening everyone! kudos everyone to doing so fabulously today, lots of workouts, eating well...awesome. splurges are fun too. welcome again lien and also miss lumpkin!! good for you DJ on getting a 4th workout in. rod and DJ i also do the whole 'reach a certain calorie' thing on the elliptical...i always try to get to even numbers like 575 or 580 or something, i'm so silly like that.

we're getting ready to finish up packing and getting ready. finally able to watch desperate housewives while eating dinner. went to the gym after work and did 400 cals on the elliptical and then about 50 cals with arm weights for 10 minutes. came home, bathed myself and portia and put the TJ enchiladas into the oven. i love the black bean and corn ones...greg gets the chicken verde ones. the black bean and corn are 260 cals for 2 and they are definitely very filling. i put some 2% cheese on both of ours and let it melt over them...and some fresh cracked black pepper. we had fresh greens salad with shredded carrots and sweet corn with TJ's balsamic ff dressing....really tasty. dessert will probably be some chocolate and the rest of the sf AFC with strawberries. overall today i had another light calorie day at about 1150. i lost about 3 lbs in the last week or so according to the scale, so i figure when i put on about 5 lbs from the trip that i'll only have to lose another 2 to be back where i want to be. hehehe.

speaking of low calorie days, this frozen yogurt that i found yesterday, i am addicted. i went today and had pistachio with some chocolate sprinkles. the part i love about it is that it is actually very filling, but so low calorie and it feels like a real treat and takes me a while to eat. the last 2 days it has been really easy to not snack at work because i am so busy AND i know i am looking fwd to the yogurt. love it! and i am sure when we get back that i'll be taking advantage of it again after all those high calorie days we'll be racking up hehe. so anyway if anyone else tries the wow cow, let me know. pistachio was really tasty and creamy though i am not typically a pistachio ice cream fan, i am looking fwd to trying all the diff flavors.

anyhow, i probably won't be able to check in before we go...but i'm taking my laptop with us so we can check email and all that while we are gone so hopefully i can also check in with the WWT'ers and see how everything is going!! have a great next few days everyone and rod, i will def remember hamed and the screaming orgasm...we think we are getting sushi tomorrow night. we get into raleigh at 5ish so we figure we can make it over for dinner around 8ish or so...and i'd love to do sushi as a lighter dinner after a long day of traveling. so we'll see what happens. thanks again for the recommends and i will totally report back re: our thoughts and with pictures most likely later!!

have a great wednesday everyone!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greetings from Vancouver everyone!!!

Actually managed to get in a workout today...45 minutes on the elliptical, so it was short but better than nothing. It''s feels so odd here...almost 9 pm here and the sun has not set...it made me not hungry and have dinner kinda late!

Rod, a very belated congratulations on the job! I am so happy for you!!!
36.gif

Kimberly, thanks so much on the follow up on Mama''s! I''m glad it was as good as we hoped! I will definitely make a reservation now.

Mara, your post last week re: wine is so true. But man, sometimes I just need a glass. Like today...after sitting an hour and a half in customs! But when I did my alcohol fast, I did see that the pounds came off easier. Fortunately I have been able to cut down and have it only on weekends...except when I am traveling. Tee hee...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the welcome, Lorelei, Amber, Ellen and Mandarin. I really appreciate it.

Just abt to leave the house to go meet my best friend whom I haven''t seen for almost a year now, just thought I''d pop in to say hi. Just some update, I did manage to meet my exercise goal yesterday. I worked out for 2 hrs, 1 hr on cardio and the rest on weights, sit-ups, stretching. YAY!! In case I don''t manage to log in tonight for the Wednesday weigh-in, I''d like to tell ya''all that I''ve already lost 1lb, after just 2 work-out sessions!!
36.gif

Still had 2 glasses of wine last night. Had a very minor set-back, thought I was abt to have just the one, but something happened that stressed me out a little. Oh well
7.gif
... Better luck tonight.

Have a good day, everyone. Be fit, eat well and above all, be happy!!
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your hols Mara

I got up early today and went to the gym for a Pump Class, which is all weights and stretching and stuff. I am so sore now!! Muscles I didnt know I even had are hurting, but I suppose it will all be worth it in the long run! Hope everyone has a good day!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lumpkins, please feel free to join in the fun rather than lurk, you are more than welcome! I have been fitting in the odd workout but I have been working like crazy outside on the land and the stables etc, but now most of that is done, I will be back to my normal routine. Funny thing I have noticed, I have been using the treadmill more than the elliptical as I change things around, my legs seem to have shrunk from this....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2007 7:46:36 AM
Author: Lorelei
Lumpkins, please feel free to join in the fun rather than lurk, you are more than welcome! I have been fitting in the odd workout but I have been working like crazy outside on the land and the stables etc, but now most of that is done, I will be back to my normal routine. Funny thing I have noticed, I have been using the treadmill more than the elliptical as I change things around, my legs seem to have shrunk from this....
Woohooo!!

Mara, have a good time!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2007 8:05:52 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/23/2007 7:46:36 AM
Woohooo!!

Mara, have a good time!
Cyd Charisse move over baby - showing me age!!

Mara enjoy your hols! Look forward to hearing about the grub!
37.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2007 8:06:54 AM

Cyd Charisse move over baby - showing me age!!
LOL!!
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

Rod
, I''m a hurtin'' unit this morning trying to transition back to the correct time. Hawaii is three hours ahead of here. I had a terrible night of sleep and am trying to gear up for a day with the kidlets. I think we''re going on a field trip...AH!!
TG, not a problem. If you want further recommendations I''d say skip David Paul''s, if of course you were considering going, and go to Gerard''s. The Hula Grill was really good as was the Lahaina Fish Co.

Hooray for working out on the elliptical, DeeJay! That must have felt so good!!

So it''s back to Wednesday Weigh In after a week of indulgences. Here we go:

Week 19 Week 21
Height: 5''5" Height: 5''5"
Weight: 125.4 Weight: 127.8
Bust: 32" Bust: 32"
Waist: 26" Waist: 26.25"
Lower Waist: 32" Lower Waist: 32.5"
Bicep: 11.5" Bicep: 12"
Hips: 36” Hips: 36”
Thigh: 20" Thigh: 20.5"

Not too terrible! I am swollen from the salty air and TTOTM so I don''t think it will take too much to get myself back where I belong.

Off to eat breakfast and start my day!

~K

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry Kim - I bet that is salt bloating and not fat!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, I agree, that''s nothing for weight gain. You''ll be fine. Glad you had such a good time, aren''t vacations great??

*sniff* I need one....

Hope you hold up with the kiddies!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday!

So despite the fact that I''m been pretty good foodwise this past week and I''ve gotten several workouts in the scale refuses to give me even 1/2 a pound off to offer up for this week''s weigh, so still down 17 lbs. (But I was down 17.5 yesterday morning--funny, I almost always weigh less on Tuesdays than I do on Wednesdays.) And last night I had the tiniest bit of chest pain, but I took two Aleve and got in bed early and as of this morning I think (hope!) I''m OK.

Hello Lumpkin!

Mara, I hope you and Greg have a wonderful trip!

Lien, good for you on the pound dropped already!

Bee, so funny about aches in muscles you didn''t even know you had, LOL.

Lorelei, interesting about the legs shrinking from the treadmill rather than the elliptical. Hmmm...

Kimberly, I''m sure you''re fabulous trip was worth every ounce, and you''ll be back down in no time.

TG, I''m so impressed that you can motiviate yourself to workout on the road. I used to have a job where I traveled five days a week, 48 weeks a year, and NOT ONCE did I ever set foot inside a gym...

Gail, even though you were a little bad yesterday, we all have to do that now and again. No worries; you''re back on the wagon!

Rod, your walk sounds like so much fun!!

Mandarine, I''m so excited for you about the dress shopping--you''re gonna have a ball!

Ellen, are you doing any strength training in anticipation of your trip? Big diamonds get HEAVY!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so many early morning posts today.

Mara and Greg have a wonderful time in NC and MD. Can''t wait to hear your foodgastic descriptions.

Kimberly, hope you get over the time difference. If you think 3 hours is tough, try 5 or more. And after all that food your measurements are absolutely fantastic. I''m betting you didn''t actually gain an ounce!!

Gail, I wouldn''t worry too much about your indulgence. Doesn''t sound like you really overdid to begin with.

TG, I have to agree with DeeJay, it''s most impressive working out while traveling. But then you''re a TravelingGal, Right!
28.gif
(Thanks for the congrats btw!)

Sorry your muscles are sore there bee*, but good job of getting going early. I am most definitely not an early person!

Seems funny that I don''t have to search the job boards. I did just to see if I had missed anything super, but of course had not. I''ll be heading out soon for coffee and lunch alone. Charlie is still with clients and even though I''m going back and could join them, I''m not an employee yet, and just don''t feel like it. So there.

This afternoon, I''ll have a nice long workout.

We decided to cancel the Ritz Carlton for this weekend. We were going there Sunday and returning Monday, but with me now leaving for Dallas on a 7 AM flight Tuesday morning, we decided it might be better to enjoy a night at the Ritz without a trip the next day looming. We''ll shoot for the 4th of July instead.

Have a great day everyone!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I''m happy to say that after reading this thread I am motivated to go try a strength training class I''ve been meaning to try. I''ve been doing ony cardio ''till now, but since I''m in the "home stretch" (10 more lbs to go), I figure its time to start adding in some weight training. So I''m going to try a class that''s supposed to be a combination of strength training and cardio. Should be a nice challenge for the body, hopefully. Wish me luck!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/23/2007 9:37:57 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Happy Wednesday!

So despite the fact that I''m been pretty good foodwise this past week and I''ve gotten several workouts in the scale refuses to give me even 1/2 a pound off to offer up for this week''s weigh, so still down 17 lbs. (But I was down 17.5 yesterday morning--funny, I almost always weigh less on Tuesdays than I do on Wednesdays.) And last night I had the tiniest bit of chest pain, but I took two Aleve and got in bed early and as of this morning I think (hope!) I''m OK.
Hey DeeJay!! You''re converting fat to muscle which weighs more and takes up less space... Not to fear!

Everyone sounds like they''re doing great. No weigh in for me today - I''d rather wait a couple of weeks in between so I see a difference... Hopefully in the right direction!!

Step was on Moday, Spin yesterday (my instructor said I looked strong - Yes!), and I''m about to do a weights/step circuit combo tape at home. The old adage about exercise helping to bring up your spirits has been so true for me. I''ve been much happier and less snippy the last few weeks. I daresay my quasi-depression is lifting. The beautiful weather sure helps things too.

Have a good day, all!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the welcome, Rod, Mara, Lorelei, Ellen and DeeJay! This whole group really has inspired me, and this is just the perfect time to get started. Nearly 2 weeks before the end of my son''s school year, preschool is over, fewer events and a little down time to start planning meals.

I''ve been doing my treadmill faithfully every day for between 35 min to an hour. I''m sweaty and defnintely getting a workout.

My first week on WW is proving to be challenging. I had my day all planned out yesterday and we went out to eat. The restaurant stopped serving its soup!!!! I had planned a soup (2 points) and salad, and then I ended up getting an entre (14 points!). I went over my daily points by 12 (yes I had it planned right down to the point, including the added activity points, LOL). That is not good. HOWEVER, I was REALLY hungry, not just wanting to be entertained or bored or emotional. My stomach was really empty. The sad thing is, even in going over it''s significantly less than what I normally was eating before. I can''t believe how fast the points add up. As I''m planning my day I''m amazed at how what I would have considered a snack before adds up to a meal, but it''s mostly about making a better choice than necessarily eating less (for me), and it doesn''t take long to get very savvy about what is "point worthy."

Thanks everyone, have a good workout and make great choices today!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
lumpkin, I do agree that as you learn about calories and nutrient content in food you do quickly learn what is point worthy or calorie worthy if you counting calories. I see my hubby do this daily since he''s the one really trying to lose. Also, he''s unintentionally just making heathier/better choices b/c the not so good for you foods add up too quickly and he wants to save his blow calories for something he''ll really enjoy and notice, not on mayo or a piece of cheese that is 80-90 calories and you can''t really even taste a huge difference. anyway, hang in there, your body will adjust and you''ll start figuring out the foods that keep you full. hubby loves those 100 calorie packs of popcorn. the portions are huge and very filling for a snack.

today was walking for me and then to the pool for swimming with the kiddo''s for a couple of hours. it''s been a light eating day which I need b/c the past couple of weekends were splurges and I like thinning out my eating during the week. tonight i''m making turkey burgers which were are always a big hit.

i hope everyone has a wonderful wed..

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
lumpkin - a belated welcome, and what a very astute observation. I was so frustrated before I began counting calories because I was eating all the "right" things (veggies, fruit, whole grains, low fat dairy, etc...), but not losing weight. When I actually started counting calories it was such a shock to really realize how little of some things you need to eat to stay within a calorie range. It has really given me a whole new perspective on what is and is not calorie-worthy. My eating habits have changed profoundly because of this, but it really does make all the difference in losing the weight vs. not. best of luck with your weight loss and get-healthy goals and I look forward to seeing you around here
1.gif

I''m happy to report that my strength-training class kicked my butt this morning. Its been so long since I''ve lifted weights that I didn''t realize how out of practice I''d gotten at it. It was a really good class though - we did cardio intervals spaced with rapid weight training intervals so my heart rate really stayed up for the whole hour and I was pouring sweat (sorry if TMI). I also added on about 40 minutes of cardio at the end on my own.

I''m happy to report that not only has my 3/4 lbs weight gain from Monday gone away but I''m down an additional 3/4 lbs. So I guess that speaks to both natural fluctuations and to not weighing myself quite so often. I''m going to try to cut down to twice a week at the most, and from there to just once a week - must. break. scale. addiction
3.gif

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
amber, good for you for trying a new class - sounds like it went well. i had a similar experience where i was eating all the right foods but not losing, and have had success with calorie counting as well. i''ve come up with a whole host of foods that are low calorie but keep me nice and full, and cut out alot of things that left me starving an hour later.

welcome to lumpkin and lien!

i did 50 minutes on the elliptical last night, then went home and made a big burrito with a la tortilla factory tortilla, fat-free refried beans, a small zucchini sauteed with garlic and oregano (inspired by the grilled veggie burritos at qdoba...) and a big spoonful of salsa. yum! for dessert i had about a cup of fresh sweet cherries and some fage. so happy to be able to eat my fage again - i have been missing it all week!

today i''ve had a pumpkin muffin for breakfast and a tuna wrap (made with just a touch of mayo, with lots of fresh spinach on a la tortilla) with a banana for lunch. i went for a walk with coworkers this afternoon, and they all got ice cream, but i passed and just had a cup of green tea at my desk. friends coming over for dinner tonight and will make roasted veggie sandwiches with fresh mozzarella and basil, yum! i also made some chocolate chip cookies from cooking light that are 90 cal per cookie, so i will put some of those out for dessert.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome lumpkin!!

Im feeling less sore now so I decided to measure myself again with the tape measure. The last measurements that I could find from posting on here were from the end of feb which were

weight 186 lbs
Arm 13"
Bust 36.5
Waist 29"
Thigh 23.5"
Lower Waist 37"
Hips 44"

and my new ones are

weight 168lbs
Arm 12"
Bust 34"
Waist 26.5"
Thigh 22"
Lower Waist 34"
Hips 40"

So after doing that Im feeling a whole lot better and am definitely looking forward to losing some more inches in the gym tomorrow. I weighed myself on Monday as Ive been stuck at 168 for a few weeks so Im not going to weigh myself until next monday and hopefully I'll have lost a bit more!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My husband (started the long process to) quit smoking today!

Any advice from former smokers? I know I should be understanding if he''s irritable.

Will he find it annoying not to have a hobby to do to waste a few minutes here and there, or will it mainly be physiological? He''s got the patch.

We''re getting him a new bike (road bike, he only has mountain bikes right now). He feels that having a new hobby will help him be motivated, and hopefully the fact that we spent a lot of money on the "I''m quitting smoking bike" will be an incentive not to relapse. It seems kind of backwards -- like we should have the bike be a reward if he reaches a certain amount of time -- but I understand how he feels. I think I''d want diamonds for my consolation prize. :)

I''m very glad that, as he says, my new healthy habits are rubbing off on him! Hurray! I know he might not succeed right away, but just going this far is a big step, and I''m sure he''ll kick it sooner or later.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Shortblonde, dinner sounds delish, can I come?

AG, way to go on the strength training! You''re such a champion.

A belated welcome, Lumpkin! So glad you''re joining us.

Don''t let plateauing get to you, bee. I read your other thread but didn''t respond as everyone had said what I would have and you didn''t need to be ranted at! You are doing an amazing job, keep up the good work and let your body take you where it (can and) will.

Phoenix, I''ll have been an ex-smoker three (or is it four? I''m so bad with time pereception!) years this August after smoking on and off for 10 years. At my worst I was a pack and a half a day smoker. Let him be crabby. Be supportive. Tell him to expect a bit of irritation and perhaps weight gain. If it''ll help, find a picture of a smokers lung and hang it where he would normally go to smoke so he can see it and be reminded why he quit. Fill the times he would have spent smoking with pleasant activities such as reading, going for a walk, etc. Send him sweet notes about how proud you are of him. When I quit John and I were LD, he sent me care packages in the mail that included the patch and funny reasons why I should keep on keepin'' on (they included pictures of an ex-roommate that I hated with bubbles over her head that said "I want Kim to smoke and die!" Sorta twisted but I hung them on my fridge and they gave me a good laugh when I was craving). It was so sweet and motivational.

So school let out 1/2 day today, there''s no school on Friday and I''ve been asked not to work tomorrow because the class is going on a field trip and only 4 kids are attending; if I worked there would be more aides than students which is quite silly. I''m bummed I won''t be making $$, but glad for the time to exercise and do school work.

John is making chicken, salad and grilled corn for dinner, should be yummy (and quite healthy after our week of splurges!).

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First let me say......Kimberly your advice to Phoenix was fabulous. I too was a pack a day smoker and I''m now going on two years since I quit. And the sad part is the cravings are still there. To this day, sometimes a craving comes over me like a wave and I think.......wow, I''d sure love a cigarette???!!! I''ve spoken to other reformed smokers and some have said the cravings have never left them and some have become allergic to the smell of smoke and don''t have any cravings. I''m not sure I''ll become allergic to it, nor am I sure the cravings will ever go away.

The best advice I can offer is do understand that this will be an incredibly emotional time for your husband. I don''t know if he''s going to use patches, or nicotine replacement, but I can tell you that did not work for me. What worked best was simply the old-fashioned quit cold turkey tried and true method. And in return, I walked around in a fog for about 3 weeks and often times I was very depressed. But, I had tried using patches so many times and while it did let me stop smoking during those times, I immediately went right back as soon as the patch was gone. Like Kimberly offered, be supportive. Let him get himself something he''s wanted as a reward for going through hell to be healthier. Encourage him to exercise with you. I truly believe exercise has been the catalyst for so many good changes in my life that were it not for exercise, I would probably still be a smoker. If there is a Bodies Exhibit near you. Go to it. There''s a real smokers lung sitting right next to a non-smokers lung and the visual is SO powerful.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Quitting smoking is one of the toughest things to do, period. I''ve heard it''s easier to give up crack cocaine or heroin than nicotine (not that I have ever had any experience with that, thank god). Also, if your hubby fails, it''s not uncommon. In fact it can take many many tries before someone makes it. So, if he falls off the wagon, let him know you still love him and will support him the next time he decides to quit.

Give him my congratulations on making a tough decision and let him know there are many of us out there who did it, even though it was pure hell to go through. One last thing. If he has any buddies who used to smoke and who have successfully quit, have him contact them and ask one of them to help him through some of the difficult cravings. I had a friend I could call who knew what I was experiencing and who I could call (like an AA sponsor - not that I''m a drinker either) if I needed some extra encouragement from someone who has been there.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, again this afternoon, I was like not wanting to go to the gym, but I dragged my sorry butt out the door and am I ever so grateful I did. I feel SO much better after a workout. I''m not sure what''s affecting my motivation these days, but I''m guessing the stress of being jobless and then getting a job and having to start all over again with my old company has something to do with it. Still, I pushed myself at the gym and now I feel just fantastic. I even hit a new milestone on the Elliptical. I managed to hit over 600 calories in 35 intense minutes. I believe I kept the RPM''s in the mid 90''s for the entire 35 minutes. But, I was so pooped afterwards. I do the elliptical after doing my core, my machine weights, my free weights and my unassisted chinups/dips (I''m up to 6 sets of 10 - 12 each of these). So, by the time I hit the elliptical, I''ve usually been working pretty hard for at least 1.5 hours, sometimes 2 hours and I''m already a bit tired. So, today''s elliptical run was a nice little victory. I''ll do a full workout again tomorrow, then just cardio on Friday.

Amber your new class sounded great! Good for you.

Shortblonde 50 minutes on the elliptical is great too!

Have a great evening everyone!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, Welcome back!! Rod, your unassisted chin ups are INSPIRING. I wish I could do one, much less all those!

I am still so darn sore from Monday's workout and I was short on time today so I didn't get to work out! Blah! Did pretty well on eating, considering. Had farewell lunch for a friend today who is moving away - ordered a risotto and ate half (which was plenty!) We split a dessert 3 ways, just enough for a few bites each and very satisfying. DH brought home takeout Indian tonight and it was very bready, and I wasn't that hungry, so I had a small portion. So, while the food choices were a little more fattening/carby than my usual selections, at least I did a great job with portion control! Yay!

Hope everyone has a good remainder of the week. I'm going to be really busy with some family events and might not have time to check in until early next week so.... enjoy the holiday weekend all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results