shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 16th July till 22nd July

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMBER YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great job!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
wow!!!! amber you look fabulous...and cute espadrilles
12.gif
. i love shoes!!!!! you have a great figure. sometimes people look too skinny--yes there IS such a thing. you have curves in the right spots. yay for you...and i bet a few ps gals will be comparing themselves to you now.
2.gif

rod its awesome that the insurance came through. men are always self conscious about their legs, but they let their guts "hang out" like a beached whale. whats up with that?

I love my legs. i inherited them from my grandmother and she had great legs.

Happy healthy tuesday all!
36.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Amber, you look so great! And see, I cannot believe that your BMI is still in the overweight range. I wouldn''t even call you zaftig if I were describing you (which means curvy and "pleasantly plump"). You look slender and perfectly proportioned. And look at your tiny little waist! I wouldn''t even look at those stupid calculators any more if I were you. I would never ever use the word overweight to describe you.

The difference in your before and after pictures is great! I didn''t realize the first one was a before picture at first, and I was thinking, "Oh gosh, she really is heavier than I thought she would be" but that was 40 pounds ago! Good for you!

BTW, I think one of the reasons why my BMI is so low at 20.4 is precisely because I have no chest. Sadly, my already less than an A cup girls got a little smaller when I lost my 17 pounds, but hey, an extra 17 pounds was not worth the slight increase in their size.
2.gif
And I honestly believe I was overweight when my BMI was 23.3 even though I was in the "normal range" because I have a petite frame and no chest.

I read that people who gain more than 5 pounds after the age of 20 increase their risk of heart disease and diabetes, and that this is a better predictor of your overall health (along with your waist measurement) than your BMI (assuming your weight at age 20 was healthy). And if you are only 15 pounds more than you were at the age of 14 I bet you''re within 5 pounds of your weight at age 20.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
amber, woman you look great! seriously, there is a huge visual difference going on there between your old and new pictures! you should be so proud. you look so cute and hip too, i love your sense of style. and i do agree that we end up working with whatever we have got...shape wise. and i also agree we are all so hard on ourselves typically...why is that?!

body image is such a hard thing for women i think...it seems like every woman i know struggles with it big time, regardless of what you look like or what size you are. my new coworker, i swear weighs less than a buck o'five and she is like 5'6". she had a baby and she is so incredibly tiny...she wore jeans the other day and i think she must be like a size 00 and/or size 25 in jeans. crazy small. i can't believe she ever pushed anything out through those tiny hips!! i feel like a serious heff next to her...but we are just built differently. and she told me she feels like she has areas she needs to work on too. i'm thinking what? making your stomach less concave? anyway, greg always has liked how he says i don't look like he could 'break' me if he hugged me too hard kind of thing. i'm a strong girl.
3.gif
and i think he got irritated when i got a little thinner and more strange/waiflike lol. he seems happier now that i added back those ~5lbs.

lol DJ re: them taking away your mailbox...that is soo funny...what timing hee hee. you probably almost had a coronary. and yes i hear you on hubby eating the odd sausage plate...greg always eats things i won't really eat like sausages, lamb, etc...so sometimes it's hard for us to share though sometimes we try to..i love sharing but i find that many times men don't like to share their food as much as women, isn't that funny?

oh and FYI ladies i hate house cleaning too!! we do it but i really want to start using the gal that my neighbor uses as she is really happy with her and she could just come over to our house after she does the neighbors!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Awww...thanks so much you guys - you are really too sweet!! I''m totally blushing here
12.gif
Seriously though, its so great to know that I''m not the only one who can see the difference.

DJ - I remember your pictures from a while back and that''s part of what inspired me to feel brave enough to post mine. I have a feeling that if we met in real life we''d be around the same size, because I''ve been wearing 4''s at AT lately too and I remember saying you were kind of a shorty like me (I''m 5''3"). Congrats BTW on your career change - I''m hoping to make one in a year or two when I''m done with grad school and its very inspiring to hear about others''

Lorelei - thank you so much, its such a continued motivation to hear that others really can see the change that I think I can see - you are such a wonderful starter for this thread every week and so motivational and supportive to everyone on it.

nyc - you are really too kind. What a sweet thing to say! You sound very petite from what you''ve said and I''m sure you are looking quite lovely these days - I''m jealous of being able to wear a bikini in public let alone feel good in it!! Way to go you - you should be so proud!!!

PG - too funny about the before picture. Yes, that was the scary picture, one of several that made me realize I really had to get it back under control. I''m definitely within 5 lbs of where I was at age 20 - I actually yo-yo''ed pretty dramatically through college though, due to some injuries and illnesses, and so I tend to think back to high school as being a better reference point, since I was pretty steady through high school. My BMI now is just barely in the overweight range - even when I was at my heaviest, all my health stuff was OK according to my Dr. - blood pressure, cholesterol, etc...were all nice and healthy and low. I have HUGE bones (like off the charts on some of those elbow measurement things) and as you can clearly see (and FYI I wear things that de-emphasize that part of my body as much as possible), I don''t have the problem of a flat chest (in fact I''d be happy to share, if only there was a non-surgical way
2.gif
).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks mara - I really can see a huge difference. We don''t take pictures of ourselves that often (me and my DH that is) and when I uploaded these ones from the trip to my computer I was curious, so I went back and opened some of the ones from London, and I was pretty amazed.

I agree that we are definitely hardest on ourselves. I have a whole group of gals my age that I hang out with, and I used to be the biggest among us - everyone in the group is very active and healthy. Now that I''ve lost weight, I''m not the biggest anymore, but instead of focusing on myself or even on the fact that I''m solidly in the middle, which is where I probably should be, I focus on how I''m still not as small as the smaller girls and feel bad about that. Obviously kind of counter-productive
3.gif

I used to do ballet with a lot of girls like that co-worker you describe - they could eat all day long too, and not gain an ounce. It was so frustrating to be around. But you''re right, we really have to work on focusing on what works for our own bodies, even though that clearly is easier said than done...

Thanks also to you and nyc for the fashion comments - I''ve started to get back into dressing cuter since I lost weight - suddenly things look cute again, which is a huge motivator (though not so easy on the checkbook hehe
3.gif
2.gif
). The espadrilles are Banana Republic, FYI for you nyc, and they were on sale and come in a bunch of colors (not that I''m enabling or anything...)
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AG, yep we are probably about the same size (although you are 3 inches taller than me -- no fair!!). And I''m right there with you about buying cuter things now! I went to the Talbots outlet on the 4th of July and bought two pairs of pants with CRAZY prints on them. I wore one to Michigan last weekend and the HH was like, wow, those pants make you look really thin. (BIG POINTS for the HH!). I also bought a shirt from Nordstroms Rack the other day that I would have never even looked at twice six months ago. Yay for fun clothes!

Mara, the timing was SO ironic about the stupid mailbox last night, but SEVERAL people from my office have called me this morning to tell me that it''s back, ha ha! (My whole career did flash in front of my eyes in that instant though
6.gif
!)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG those are the cutest shoes, i just got some of the espadrilles (the thin strappy version though i was tempted by yours too) from BR''s sale too...can''t wait til they arrive!! though 4 1/4" heels are kind of pushing it for me...the price we pay for fashion!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 1:12:48 PM
Author: Mara
AG those are the cutest shoes, i just got some of the espadrilles (the thin strappy version though i was tempted by yours too) from BR's sale too...can't wait til they arrive!! though 4 1/4' heels are kind of pushing it for me...the price we pay for fashion!!
Ditto, I love the shoes and you look awesome, kudos on your great work!!!!!
36.gif

KUDOS DeeJay on the slim pants and size 4
36.gif
36.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
WOW- so many posts to read and catch up on!

Sounds like everyone is doing great! A huge congrats to Amber. Girl, you are my inspiration! You look FABULOUS!

I was on the road last week, and am home this week. Still keeping up with the eating and exercise. I haven''t seen any results, and I know it''s because I just haven''t pushed myself when I do go the gym (I HATE the gym). So I''m not going anymore. I''m taking a page from Mara''s book and will hit the trails. I live very near the Santa Monica/Malibu mountains, and will take advantage of nature''s resources. It''s just a matter of timing, since it can get VERY hot here. So I''ll be going around 7:30p tonite and tomorrow. I just gotta locate my hiking boots, which haven''t seen daylight in about a year.

OK, time for some fage. Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber, you should NOT be afraid of those pictures at all! You look gorgeous and it is just so amazing to see how far you''ve come. You really look fantastic and I can''t wait to meet you this weekend in person!
36.gif

It''s been a pretty good day or two here. Been exercising and eating pretty well. BUT I did **HAVE** (my dog forced me I swear) to make banana bread last night so that my bananas wouldn''t be wasted when I leave for San Francisco tomorrow. I tried to pawn off some of it at work, but alas, no one was around (summertime at a university), so I couldn''t. I did leave some in the coffee room...

Not only do I love to clean, but unfortunately I love to bake too. I try to only have a bit and then pawn the rest off on others, but I almost always eat more of it than I want to. It is just such a stress reliever for me, I can''t NOT do it. It''s much easier when FI is here because he can plow through it pretty quickly and he is one of those people we all hate who doesn''t gain weight ever.

Anyway, workouts are going well, thanks everyone for the encouragement on the lost inches. For anyone who isn''t actively measuring themselves, I highly recommend it. I think some of us tone up much more easily than we lose weight, so it''s really motivating to see results somewhere. I guess I''m not really in it to lose weight anyway, really just to tone up a LOT, so I''m pretty content.

I hope everyone is having a great day!!!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m emerging out of lurking to say

Amber you look absolutely amazing!!!! Seriously. so healthy and happy. good job.

as for what i''ve been up to...still working out, though mostly outdoor exercise now that it''s warm. between walking, running and biking i get a decent amount of cardio and i still do pilates. i keep mulling over the idea of taking pilates classes at a studio (right now i just use a DVD), but i can''t find a place that''s convenient enough. I''ve gotten about six lbs below my target and have been holding steady since about March or so. I''m not sure how i''m maintaining other than eating healthy food, reasonable portions and trying to maintain a regular exercise schedule. however, i still probably consume way too much wine/beer, especially with all the BBQs and summer fun.

everyone is sounding really great. so congratulations on all the personal achievements!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW Amber!!! You look ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! You go GIRL!!!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
amber if i run up my cc in banana i''m telling my dh its your fault for enabling my shoe habit
11.gif
. he knows i am veerrrryyy weak in that dept.
9.gif

cleaning is not sooo bad if you turn up the music and crack open a bottle of wine---it also helps if its rainy and no ones home. otherwise its not fun. now baking i am totally into--especially something chocolatey
18.gif

speaking of food---whats everyone making or having for dinner? i''m sick of bbq. i need some new summery food ideas that don''t include eating like a rabbit or a hawk---somewhere in between.
20.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
DJ - go HH! I love it when my DH says things like that. Although I think now that the major shock of the changes has worn off, and he's gotten sick of hearing me talk about weight and eating and working out, etc...the compliments are a little more sparse
3.gif
That is funny about us being about the same size - I have to say, even with the extra 3 inches, I feel like I got cheated, as my parents are 5'6" and 5'9"
23.gif
3.gif

Mara - I was seriously loving the BR shoes this year. I also got the cute metallic braided wedges with the wooden heel - I found out my friend got exactly the same ones though, so we'll have to make sure not to wear them to the same events! I was tempted by the strappy ones too, but the ones I got fit my (small but fat) feet better - I wear like a 6 or 6.5 wide haha
20.gif
They are actually pretty well padded, so the super high heels didn't really bug me as much as I thought they would.

Thanks so much chargergrrl - I think its great that you're going to try hiking. I think that exercise is totally about finding something you actually enjoy. For some people, that's the gym, but for others its definitely not. And it can change over time - I go through periods where I love the gym and periods where I prefer to exercise outside. But working around it and finding what works for you at that time in your life I think is a huge key to success, so kudos to you for keeping at it
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks neatfreak - I'm excited to meet you too. DH gave me kind of a strange look when I described what I was going to, but he seems to be Ok with the whole idea when he realized he wouldn't have to go ogle jewelry with me
25.gif
I'm actually not a big baker, which i think is a saving grace for me - I prefer to cook, and I usually enjoy cooking healthy stuff with lots of veggies, so that helps. Although I'm always up for eating other people's baked goods...
3.gif

thanks for emerging from lurkdom to say something so nice lulu - that's really sweet of you. It sounds like you have found a really great place to maintain (6 lbs below target - GO YOU!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
). You should totally try the classes - I just recently started taking weight lifting/circuit training classes, and its been really awesome for me. Its good to shake things up and keep your body on its toes
31.gif

Thanks Rod ::blush:: you are such a sweetie - I couldn't believe your before and after pictures when you posted them - what a transformation!!
6.gif
23.gif
And its so inspiring to hear how you keep working at it and continue to change your body - I hope to be able to maintain that kind of mindset over time as well.

nyc - I will take full responsibility, since I think I live too far away for your DH to do anything about it
31.gif
11.gif
27.gif
I pretty much have a weakness for all things shopping, so my DH feels your DH's pain. I'm probably eating a frozen TJ's burrito for dinner tonight, since I'll be at the lab until 9pm or so, so I'm not much help there. I did make a really yummy pasta a few nights ago though with low fat creamy cheese (goat cheese would work), fresh rosemary, oven-roasted broccoli (spray w/ olive oil, salt and pepper, clove of chopped garlic, 10 minutes or so in the oven at 425), and whole wheat pasta - it was very tasty
18.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
AG, you look great. Congrats again!
9.gif
Beautiful new pendant too

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Awww...thanks Skippy - you''re such a sweetheart - I am very pleased with both the weight loss and the new pendant, and all the lovely comments on here about both have really made my day (week?)
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 3:00:32 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Awww...thanks Skippy - you''re such a sweetheart - I am very pleased with both the weight loss and the new pendant, and all the lovely comments on here about both have really made my day (week?)
9.gif
You deserve both; you are a lovely beautiful lady!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A question for all those here:

How do you deal with the constant hunger while trying to loose weight? I eat breakfast at 8 am. By 11 am, I am starving. After lunch at noon, I get hungry again by 3 pm. Dinner is at 6 pm, but when I go to bed at 10 pm, my stomach is growling. I also wake up to an empty growling stomach. I have a small snack in the morning and in the afternoon (which by the way, does nothing to quell the hunger).

I am drinking somewhere around 150 oz of water a day. I am also nursing a baby. However, I need to lose 20 lbs to return to my pre-baby weight. I make sure to eat a good amount of protein to stave off the hunger but it doesn''t seem to be working. I do power walks for 30 minutes almost everyday and play 1 to 2 hours of tennis 2 to 3 times a week.

What am I doing wrong?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 3:15:53 PM
Author: Chrono
A question for all those here:

How do you deal with the constant hunger while trying to loose weight? I eat breakfast at 8 am. By 11 am, I am starving. After lunch at noon, I get hungry again by 3 pm. Dinner is at 6 pm, but when I go to bed at 10 pm, my stomach is growling. I also wake up to an empty growling stomach. I have a small snack in the morning and in the afternoon (which by the way, does nothing to quell the hunger).

I am drinking somewhere around 150 oz of water a day. I am also nursing a baby. However, I need to lose 20 lbs to return to my pre-baby weight. I make sure to eat a good amount of protein to stave off the hunger but it doesn''t seem to be working. I do power walks for 30 minutes almost everyday and play 1 to 2 hours of tennis 2 to 3 times a week.

What am I doing wrong?

How much ARE you eating? It''s very possible that you''re not eating enough! Between nursing and all your activity it is possible that you need to be eating more. Either more volume or more calories.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neatfreak,

I'm trying to loose weight, not gain!
9.gif
Shouldn't I eat less, not more?
33.gif
In any case, believe me when I say I think I'm eating enough. But the scale isn't going down and my waistline hasn't budged.

Here's an example of my diet:

Breakfast
4 slices of whole wheat bread w/1 deli meat (chicken) slice each & H20

Lunch
1 big cup of cooked rice with tons of sauteed veges and fish/chicken/pork/shrimp (protein)

Dinner
Same as lunch. Dessert of fried bananas or some other unhealthy stuff.
11.gif

Generous consumption of fruits.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly I would try to get an accurate idea of your daily calorie intake, then work out what you need especially as you are nursing to see if you are eating too much or too little. I remember Mara posted a link a while ago where you can enter your calorie intake and it does the work for you as to what you need. With the nursing your calorie intake might need increasing, but if not I would shuffle the meals around, reduce the amounts for main meals and increase the snack sizes so you are eating 6 smaller meals. I cope with hunger by not letting myself get too hungry, I have things such as cottage cheese, jello, and try not to go too long without food, otherwise I am sunk!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you guys asking me to eat more? To increase my caloric intake? How am I going to lose weight if my input goes up but my output remains the same?
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe when Mara or Monnie I think! see this they can post the link to that website Chronie, I am trying to think who it was that posted the site, it was a while ago. That way you can calculate your daily calorie intake and adjust accordingly. But yes, sometimes if you aren't eating enough, especially as you are nursing, the metabolism can slow up to conserve supplies and burn fat and calories more slowly, it goes into famine mode! So to avoid this, if it turns out you need an increase, add in more quality calories, it may not be much extra that is needed, perhaps only 100 - 200 cals extra a day, but sometimes that can make the difference and start the weight shifting. Opinions vary, but you could try with the power walks to maybe 45 mins for fat burning a day, but less often, maybe 4 or 5 days a week rather than 7 as this might help to kickstart things, often changing a routine can be a good catalyst to weight loss.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.......My biopsy is officially scheduled. Look's like it was this Friday, or August 17. Since I have too much on my plate to have an operation this Friday, I chose the 17th. Of course it means I have to wait another month, just to have the biopsy, but at least it's scheduled.

Chrono, it is often better when trying to lose weight to have six smaller meals throughout the day to keep the metabolism primed as opposed to just three. You are likely hungry because you may not be consuming enough and when that happens, the body thinks it may be in starvation mode and try to hold onto every single calorie it can. Now that said, if I were you, I'd rethink some of what you're eating as you published it. Four slices of bread for breakfast has a high glycemic index as does rice and you might want to end that Fried Bananas and just opt for fresh fruit instead. If you want to feel fuller and accomplish more, choose foods high in protein and fiber, but low in processed sugars and carbs and/or fats. I'm not sure what you published is really helping you have that balance. For snacks during the day, I have a tub of raw unprocessed almonds (not baked or salted - all natural) and raisins in my desk. In the morning around 10 AM, I have a couple handfulls, and then somewhere between 3 and 4 I either have more almond raisin mix, or I have a lower calorie protein bar. You didn't mention if you're including exercise as part of your overall weight reduction plan. Fitness makes a huge huge difference too!

Best wishes to you and I hope some of what I've written offers some benefit.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize you are nursing. I don't know if my advice is appropriate for someone who is nursing (I'm a guy). I would seek the help of a professional nutritionist if I were you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post with the advice for Chrono Rod, glad the biopsy is scheduled. Hey Rod, in 2 weeks it will be a year since I quit smoking, can you believe it????? How is it going for you Monnie with the non smoking?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 3:39:10 PM
Author: Chrono
Are you guys asking me to eat more? To increase my caloric intake? How am I going to lose weight if my input goes up but my output remains the same?
33.gif

Because when you eat too little (which you might actually be doing if that is all you're eating. You need to add up the cals and figure it out), your body goes into starvation mode. It drastically slows down your metabolism and basically your body holds onto any calories that come in and refuses to budge downward.

It's a well documented thing, so you should accurately calculate your caloric intake, output, and then go from there. I'll try and find the website too...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Chrono - try this website, sparkpeople - you can enter how much weight you want to lose, and how long you want to take to do it, and it will come back with a calorie range. They also have a tool you can use to track what you''re eating. I would say start with those two things, because ultimately, just from the information you gave, its hard to know if you are eating too much or too little, either of which could slow weight loss. Ultimately, counting calories is a great, concrete way to know exactly what you''re taking in. I would start by trying to stay at the bottom of the range sparkpeople gives you and see how that goes.

In terms of being hungry, I would try, like Lorelei said, spacing out your meals more to make them smaller. Also, maybe try adding in more fiber and variety - lentils, beans, whole grains like brown rice, barley, wheat berries, whatever are all good sources of fiber, and there are many others. Also maybe add some low-fat or non-fat dairy - its supposed to help with losing weight and I''m sure the calcium would be good for you as well. Make sure your whole wheat bread has whole wheat flour as the first ingredient - sometimes they don''t and then you''re not usually getting the health benefits.

Tracking with sparkpeople or another tool of your choice will give you a better handle on how much you are actually eating - your portion sizes may be distorted. And that, plus eating more fiber and possibly more protein and spreading your meals out may help with the hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results