shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor recommendation for setting a delicate, three stone ring

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS’ers,

I would like your recommendations for a vendor to set a three stone ring. I have the centre stone but need the vendor to source side diamonds, and design/give guidance on the ring design with my general instructions. Ideally, I’d like the vendor to help with recommendations regarding which side diamonds to purchase, and getting the proportions correct. I don’t think I can’t get what I want by just reviewing CADS and making other design decisions myself, because I don’t trust myself to know how a CAD design and the other disparate elements will come together as a final ring design.

I would love something set high, with a delicate band, shank and prongs, and minimal metal visible from the top.

For inspiration, I love the delicacy of this setting (but I would like it set higher than LM’s typical work):

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/...ng-colombian-emerald-trapezoid-diamond-detail

And the height/elegance of this setting:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/grace-3-stone-pears-platinum-5557p

I am located in New York but can work with a vendor in another location if needs be.

@mrs-b, @yssie and others gave me some wonderful advice in a previous threat I posted asking for profile shots of LM rings, but Leon has told me he doesn’t want to work with my stone because I bought it recently.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would reach out to Steven Kirsch. He does beautiful pieces and he was easy to work with. When he made my halo, I gave him lots of photos and notes (man has the patience of a saint) and he took it from there. He also had many sample settings to get a feel for different aspects of the ring. http://stevenkirsch.com

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
I would reach out to Steven Kirsch. He does beautiful pieces and he was easy to work with. When he made my halo, I gave him lots of photos and notes (man has the patience of a saint) and he took it from there. He also had many sample settings to get a feel for different aspects of the ring. http://stevenkirsch.com
Thank you! I’m more the type to give one or two pictures I source from here or Pinterest and point out what I like of each, and a general guideline for what I want the ring to look like: “delicate”, “slim”, etc. do you think he would work with my more laid-back style or is it easier to work with him if you really get involved?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ordinaryrainbow I mentioned multiple times in your prior thread to contact SK for your project. Not sure what the hesitation is, but no, he doesn’t need to be babysat to deliver on the final product and he is literally one of the nicest people to communicate with. I worked with him facilitating an e-ring project for a friend and he was always very prompt in his communication. He has a great eye for aesthetics and can source the side stones required. You don’t need to pay a retainer to meet with him.

David Klass is another recommendation, but you will need to provide him with more direction and approve CADs. PSers can help you with CAD analysis if that is the route you decide to go.

BGD also have great workmanship, but their work is not hand-forged, although they can handforge certain elements like the prongs for example.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@SimoneDi thanks very much for the recommendation. I suppose my initial hesitation was because I was already speaking with LM and I didn’t want to engage another vendor at the same time (and, truth be told, other than the low height setting I preferred the styles I saw on Leon’s webpage to what I saw on Steven’s webpage). But, since Leon seems to have changed his mind about working with me, I have reached out to SK as you and others recommend. He has responded already and, just as you say, he seems very nice. Thanks also for the additional information about his work style: very helpful.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i understand what you mean that they have a different aesthetic, but they are fairly strait forward settings in your inspiration photos. Just be very clear what you like and don't like about each. Maybe find a photo that has the proportions how you want them in terms of the center to the side stones. There are so many different flavors of this setting and it can really change the look of the ring if the proportions are off.

Best of luck! I can't wait to see the finished ring.

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
i understand what you mean that they have a different aesthetic, but they are fairly strait forward settings in your inspiration photos. Just be very clear what you like and don't like about each. Maybe find a photo that has the proportions how you want them in terms of the center to the side stones. There are so many different flavors of this setting and it can really change the look of the ring if the proportions are off.

Best of luck! I can't wait to see the finished ring.

Thank you! That’s helpful advice about being clear about what I like about each photo I pull. I’ll also be spending quite a bit of time looking at threads here, including for side stone proportions. (A fun project!). Thanks again.

Donnass117

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I recommend Maytal Hannah. Although I don't have a 3-stone ring, she did make me a few rings and because they are hand forged they are very delicate. When I visited her a while ago I saw different styles, and I remember seeing a beautiful 3 stone ring. She's very helpful and easy to work with. Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I've read here, I would never consider working with LM. He seems like an angry miserable person who is hell bent on making everyone else miserable too. See his nasty / snarky website for proof, and/or older threads.

SK seems lovely, as does Maytal Hannah and DK. If you don't want to have to give a lot of detailed directions then I think SK will be great.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you live in NYC -- and because Steven Kirsch does such lovely work, and by all accounts, is a pleasure to work with, I don't see any reason to ship your diamond out to CA to either Maytal Hannah or David Klass. Other NYC recommendations if you'd prefer to stay local, so you can visit them in person: Brilliantly Engaged (both cast and hand-forged) and Eternity by Yoni (but he does not do hand-forged).

Re proportions of side stones: unless you have very strong feelings about their size, I'd leave at least the initial recommendation of side stones to SK or whomever; they have a more informed eye than you or I as to what works best with a particular center stone & the rest of the wished-for ring mounting.

L

lydial

Thank you! I’m more the type to give one or two pictures I source from here or Pinterest and point out what I like of each, and a general guideline for what I want the ring to look like: “delicate”, “slim”, etc. do you think he would work with my more laid-back style or is it easier to work with him if you really get involved?

My recent SK cluster was a super laid back experience. I sent a few pics, he interpreted them, we made 1 slight cad change. Despite being “bespoke” my intricate setting is laser precise in proportion. Re design: I barely had to explain my idea. He just “gets” it because he has the wisdom of experience. I felt so respected and comfortable talking to him as well. And I agree with the comment that he has incredible patience. I also needed my shank adjusted and he was gracious to rush it, and he adjusted my other new ring as well. They both were too wide on the palm side but now they are comfy cozy. I would not say the process was speedy but I wasn’t in a rush which I made clear as well. Also I paid with a check and it took forever to clear due to “out of state”, send a wire! If you are in a rush I would communicate that.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-cluster.249142/#post-4553050

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs, @MollyMalone, @lydial - thank you! I reached out to S and he was very pleasant and clearly very knowledgeable, and I have decided to work with him. Thank you again for the recommendations and advice! I'm sure I will pepper you all with questions as the project progresses.

@lydial - your cluster ring is absolutely beautiful! You must be so pleased. And thank you for the tip regarding wire transfer rather than check, that is good to know.

@lovedogs - thanks for the insight about the old LM threads. I went back and looked at a couple that weren't flattering (to say the least) and I am now very happy Leon decided not to work with me - having read the threads, I take it now as an absolute blessing in disguise.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, @MollyMalone, @lydial - thank you! I reached out to S and he was very pleasant and clearly very knowledgeable, and I have decided to work with him. Thank you again for the recommendations and advice! I'm sure I will pepper you all with questions as the project progresses.

@lydial - your cluster ring is absolutely beautiful! You must be so pleased. And thank you for the tip regarding wire transfer rather than check, that is good to know.

@lovedogs - thanks for the insight about the old LM threads. I went back and looked at a couple that weren't flattering (to say the least) and I am now very happy Leon decided not to work with me - having read the threads, I take it now as an absolute blessing in disguise.
@ordinaryrainbow I'm so glad you are working with SK! Definitely a blessing is disguise that LM decided not to work with you. You'll have a much smoother experience this way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results