shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help needed! 2 stones, pink!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Can I maybe just suggest at the point you should propose with a sapphire, morganite, spinel — anything pink but with a good return policy. When she gets it, explain it ain’t a diamond and you wanted her to have the ring of her dreams so you will return this one and she can pick out her own diamond? If she doesn’t know the pink ones are man made, she will be really disappointed when she finds out

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But come back and show us if you get one. I’m anxious to see the ring and hear what she thought of it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds because she prefers it :) can people tell the difference between a sapphire and diamond?!

I’m going to go out on a limb.
Yes you can tell.
Nothing good will come out of pretending otherwise.
It wasn’t mentioned as a stimulant possibility. Just an alternative.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to go out on a limb.
Yes you can tell.
Nothing good will come out of pretending otherwise.
It wasn’t mentioned as a stimulant possibility. Just an alternative.

I think it depends on how much knowledge of gemstones you have. Prior to PS, I would have assumed every color stone was not a diamond. There are very few stones I can look at and tell you what they are really.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth I have a pink tourmaline (no I don't recommend that because it's too soft for an engagement ring) set in a Victor Canera setting and everyone that sees it says is that a pink diamond.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth I have a pink tourmaline (no I don't recommend that because it's too soft for an engagement ring) set in a Victor Canera setting and everyone that sees it says is that a pink diamond.

I can’t help but think some do think that because of what your jewelry wardrobe consists of.;)2
Having a pink ring that some people ask if it’s a diamond, is a different concept than eluding to looking at purchasing a sapphire, because “some people can’t tell it’s not a diamond, right?”
That’s another whole TIFU thread!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I know that pink man made diamonds and ALL lab created diamonds are about to drop drastically in price in the next two to three years in a big way is there any reason why you couldn't get a enhanced pink diamond or a pink moissanite, save the money for something else, that way in a couple of years it's not wasted. I'm not against lab created diamonds, great for the environment, cool concept, I just know that they are currently overpriced and about to become mass produced and fall sharply in price so all I see is you taking a big hit here.

That's what we all see. You seem to want to buy either of these stones and are desperate to do so, and are rushing because of this timeline - so why ask our opinion at all because you don't want to take it. Your jeweller said the paler stone looks more realistic, I agree, the darker one is better cut, they are both exceptionally bad value and will greatly decrease in price. You want people on a diamond forum to hold your hand and enable you to buy a piece of garbage, that is a huge waste of money. No one here in good conscience is going to do that.

We will wish you well we will congratulate you on your purchase of either but you are asking us to tell you which out of two overpriced pieces of junk is better.
Thank you for explaining this. I feel like I tried to say this many times.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would 100% get a pink moissanite at this point vs a wildly overpriced and poorly cut lab stone that won't be worth much at all in a few years. If she really wants a lab diamond, get her a 1k moissanite now and wait for the prices to drop. Your rush is the issue. You aren't thinking locially bc you are so focused on getting something RIGHT NOW. But you can propose with a plain band, and buy something pink and sparkly for now while you wait. Like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/201614346/pink-moissanite-engagement-ring-rose

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just got me thinking. I don't want her to wear something that looks like costume jewelry that's all.

I really appreciate your input.

Would you consider the last stone looking clearly 'pink' in color at all?

https://streamable.com/gx07m

Soo... a large diamond that is "clearly pink in color" directly conflicts with "don't want her to wear something that looks like costume jewelry."

No, that diamond does NOT look clearly pink in color to me the way the 2.99 does. I suspect it will noticeably go brown in some lighting, whereas it looks like the 2.99 goes more mauve or light burgundy when in unfavorable lighting conditions. If you want a noticeably pink diamond, it will look more like costume jewelry than real jewelry, and that is just how it is and it's not a problem you are going to solve. You just need to decide which of those things is more important to you. Stop listening to other people's opinions and decide what YOU and YOUR FIANCEE value in the color of the stone.

eta: and yes, people can tell the difference between pink colored stones and pink diamonds. I have a bunch of pink stones and not once has anybody thought they were diamonds. They just think they're all sapphires.

Last edited:

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I have a strong feeling that you have probably already purchased one of these stones, but if you haven't I just think you should think about it a little bit more! $20,000 is so much money to spend on a stone, and if you have that much to spend, I really think that you should think about getting something that doesn't appear to be a simulant- as you may have read throughout this thread, you can purchase a 1ct pink lab diamond for under $1000 on lightbox, so $20,000 for 3 carats doesn't make much sense IMO.
I would strongly consider something like this https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/rings/tiffany-soleste-pink-sapphire-and-diamond-ring-GRP07304/ it is pink, it is round, it will give great finger coverage, it has the prestigious tiffany name, which I get the impression your GF would love, and you might not even have to liquidate your stocks to get it!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Regardless of what happens, I do hope you give a final update OP. I want to know how the story ends

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/3.93ct-ceylon-round-pink-sapphire-p3901-/

Found this.

Will it sparkle much like a diamond?

I have zero knowledge of how they even look in light.

The overall shape looks like an off round diamond but the color and sparkle online seems to match or exceed the lab diamonds
No, sapphires do not sparkle like diamonds. Also that company is awful and disreputable. You need to slow way down here and re assess your priorities. Trying to speed through this process will not help you. You need to talk to your GF honestly about lab diamonds, how they are going to quickly become very inexpensive, and that 3ct of a nice color/great cut isn't feasible right now within budget. See how she feels about either a smaller stone (like from LB), or a moissanite, or a regular white diamond. You could do a white diamond with pink melee and it will be gorgeous

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I mean at this point she obviously knows a proposal is coming. I think you need to stop and catch her up on things. It’s too much pressure on you— crazy amount of pressure. I honestly feel for you.

Tell her what you have learned and let her guide you about how she wants to deal with that.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Ive talked to her and this is what we (she) has decided - I need to make it work:

- Does not care if it is lab grown or not.
- Does not care of future value, no plans to sell and not important.
- Out of the 2.99ct and 3.01ct, she only wants the one that will look least costume-y to the average person.
- Will even consider Moissanite BUT, her questions:

1. Can you tell with a naked eye that a 3.01ct Moissanite is NOT a diamond (she explained she would hate having it give the impression it was not a diamond. She is happy to explain it to people if they wanted to know generally, but does not want it to look obviously fake. Must be naked eye indistinguishable)
2. Would be buying from charlesandcolvard as from what I see, seems to have the best rep for this kind of stone.
3. It would be set without a halo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive talked to her and this is what we (she) has decided - I need to make it work:

- Does not care if it is lab grown or not.
- Does not care of future value, no plans to sell and not important.
- Out of the 2.99ct and 3.01ct, she only wants the one that will look least costume-y to the average person.
- Will even consider Moissanite BUT, her questions:

1. Can you tell with a naked eye that a 3.01ct Moissanite is NOT a diamond (she explained she would hate having it give the impression it was not a diamond. She is happy to explain it to people if they wanted to know generally, but does not want it to look obviously fake. Must be naked eye indistinguishable)
2. Would be buying from charlesandcolvard as from what I see, seems to have the best rep for this kind of stone.
3. It would be set without a halo.
Naked indistinguishable to whom? Diamond experts, or the average person? The huge size is part of what will make it look "fake". Anyone who knows anythijg about diamonds will know that unless you have like 300-500k to spend on a ring that a 3ct stone isn't real.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also pretty confused about how and why either of you are ok with buying something for 20k that you could almost certainly buy for 5k in a few years. Even if you are rich, why throw money away? Why not buy a great cut and smaller size now in the meantime? I'm just totally lost about why these 2 stones (which aren't good at all) are the ones being considered.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I am also pretty confused about how and why either of you are ok with buying something for 20k that you could almost certainly buy for 5k in a few years. Even if you are rich, why throw money away? Why not buy a great cut and smaller size now in the meantime? I'm just totally lost about why these 2 stones (which aren't good at all) are the ones being considered.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Our money is not your concern. as mentioned above, it is not the issue. She wanted a nice pink looking stone that wouldn't look like costume jewelry but would have the brilliance of a diamond (which I guess only a diamond can do?), that is all. :)

It appears that to diamond aficionados - lab stuff sucks. That is totally fine. She does not care about that. It technically is a real diamond. Now, the question is really only, what color grade looks best or more natural - 2.99 or 3.01. I guess, general consensus is the 3.01ct.

Who is to say in the future, that lab diamonds - whilst certainly will drop in value - wont actually matter much? They are real diamonds. The only difference is once was made quicker than the other. Chemically they are the same thing. :)

I'm not trying to be rude, and have tried to remain as positive as possible to everyone here. I appreciate your and everyone's help.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Our money is not your concern. as mentioned above, it is not the issue. She wanted a nice pink looking stone that wouldn't look like costume jewelry but would have the brilliance of a diamond (which I guess only a diamond can do?), that is all. :)

It appears that to diamond aficionados - lab stuff sucks. That is totally fine. She does not care about that. It technically is a real diamond. Now, the question is really only, what color grade looks best or more natural - 2.99 or 3.01. I guess, general consensus is the 3.01ct.

Who is to say in the future, that lab diamonds - whilst certainly will drop in value - wont actually matter much? They are real diamonds. The only difference is once was made quicker than the other. Chemically they are the same thing. :)

I'm not trying to be rude, and have tried to remain as positive as possible to everyone here. I appreciate your and everyone's help.
I have no clue why you think our consensus is "lab stuff sucks". There are AMAZING lab diamonds, and I showed you some ideal cut ones. Unfortunately, you have chosen two that aren't good at all, and refuse to accept the fact that they arent good. If you insist on spending 20k on something that isn't very good that is your buisiness. We were trying to help you avoid that. Any flexibility on size would have allowed you to get a great cut AND good color. But, since you clearly refuse to listen to us, that is entirely up to you.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
I love fancy color lab diamonds but I’ve never been able to find a pink one I liked. Part of it is probably because they are all treated to get their color, causing less “natural” looking hues. Many of them do have that orange pink combination you mentioned. In contrast blue and yellow lab diamonds get their color during the growing process by the introduction of boron or nitrogen respectively. I really wanted to try a “brownish pink” stone but unfortunately the transaction fell through.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Not to be devils advocate but since lab diamonds are treated anyway to get their pink color have you considered natural diamonds that have been treated to become pink? That might open more possibilities. Just a thought.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Not to be devils advocate but since lab diamonds are treated anyway to get their pink color have you considered natural diamonds that have been treated to become pink? That might open more possibilities. Just a thought.

I have however they wanted over 70k and for that, I'm not going to go lab or treated :)

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Looking quickly it seems even the irradiated mined pinks are also orangey. I think what’s happening is the less appreciated lower grade white or light yellows are being used to make the pink rocks.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, the question is really only, what color grade looks best or more natural - 2.99 or 3.01. I guess, general consensus is the 3.01ct.

Just to be clear, "best" and "more natural" are not the same thing. I think the 2.99 looks the best. The 3.01 looks the most natural. I would prefer the 2.99 because that's a color I in no way could ever afford in a natural diamond, and I don't care if people think it is fake or not.

I would show your fiancee ALL the videos of the two stones, and let her pick. That way you are sure to choose one she likes. Why care what other people will think? Choose for yourselves instead of for random people who look at her hand.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Just to be clear, "best" and "more natural" are not the same thing. I think the 2.99 looks the best. The 3.01 looks the most natural. I would prefer the 2.99 because that's a color I in no way could ever afford in a natural diamond, and I don't care if people think it is fake or not.

I would show your fiancee ALL the videos of the two stones, and let her pick. That way you are sure to choose one she likes. Why care what other people will think? Choose for yourselves instead of for random people who look at her hand.

As long as it is eye pink she is happy.

We went with the 3.01ct. reason:

- Broker has it down as 5p in color, which is eye pink.
- Slightly better cut over the 2.99ct
- Our jeweller informed us that the 2.99ct is beautiful but that color is not natural at all, therefore yes even though nice, it's probably not going to go down well on that front. Whereas the 3.01ct is far more natural, less questions, less explaining, more comfort and still 5p-like eye color in person is not bad

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come back and show us the ring, you are right what you do with your money is none of our concern. I can only tell you what I would do or would have done. I personally would buy a 2 to 3 carat pink moissanite that looks very diamond like, set it how she wants and pass that off as her main ring. Will it look like a real diamond? To some people yes to some people no, probably not, neither will what you have purchased to some people.

Then I would have purchased a real or Antique or preloved white diamond something that is a nice cut lots of fire and sparkle in your budget and put a halo of real pink Argyle diamonds around it. Then she also has a real diamond ring that will hold it's value as a right hand ring/dress ring wear when she gets bored with the other ring.

I could do both for $20 000 and give you something that I think ticks all the boxes she has asked for and will not dramatically decrease as much in value.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also like to see the completed ring (and hand shots!!!}. It would be education for us all and people who come after you will surely be grateful for the knowledge.

Good luck and congratulations!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Would love to see hand shots!
Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results