shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help needed! 2 stones, pink!

m92371

Rough_Rock
Ask for pictures in multiple light sources.
Indrect natural, incandescent, fluorescent-
I’m guessing some lighting will bring out the pink- some will bring out the brown.
That’s pretty brown tho. I agree it looks somewhat more believable than a cotton candy pink.

Apparently it's rated as "fancy light pink" with hint of orange + strong pink fluorescence.

The 2.99 is rated as fancy vivid pink + medium orange fluorescence

Would you rate the 2.99 (spinning video) looking totally unnatural?

No brown listed on either

Nobody told me diamonds were so complicated!

Edit: realized the spinning video quality is low.

Here is a screenshot

https://ibb.co/G2FFwKR
https://ibb.co/4jQzC6f
https://ibb.co/n8qRT3k

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I see on my monitor -
I can’t say that if I saw it in a ring, out in the wild, that I would ever think it to be a natural pink diamond. No.
But- hey - I’m in podunk Midwest USA.
Your locale may differ.

m92371

Rough_Rock
From what I see on my monitor -
I can’t say that if I saw it in a ring, out in the wild, that I would ever think it to be a natural pink diamond. No.
But- hey - I’m in podunk Midwest USA.
Your locale may differ.

The Midwest isn't bad!!!!

The original goal was something pink, without appearing as costume-y.

After googling vivid fancy pink diamonds, to me, some just look like.....dark sapphires/light rubies!!!!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 carat and super clean, and the cutting style has a lot to do with the believability factor.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people know very little about pink diamonds or lab diamonds so it’s likely you will get asked ‘what is it?’. I believe a solitaire will come off as less costume-y than a halo. When you get it you can see how it looks in plat or gold and what looks most pink to you.

m92371

Rough_Rock
3 carat and super clean, and the cutting style has a lot to do with the believability factor.

Out of the two, what would you go for?

The lighter color 3.01ct looks amazing at 10x but at normal viewing, I hardly see the same pinks.

The 2.99ct at 10x looks too orange pink, but at normal distance looks a little muted.

Originally I went with he 2.99. my jeweller is twisting my arm saying the 3.01 looks natural and pink - swap it out

m92371

Rough_Rock
Most people know very little about pink diamonds or lab diamonds so it’s likely you will get asked ‘what is it?’. I believe a solitaire will come off as less costume-y than a halo. When you get it you can see how it looks in plat or gold and what looks most pink to you.

Will rose gold claws holding the stone improve the pinkness of the 3.01ct?

It looks faint as heck to me.

Or for that matter improve the light pink of the 2.99

I have had the same thought. A halo may give the impression the stone is costume and you're trying to hide it/make up for it

m92371

Rough_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It often takes more than gold prongs to enhance color. You could try a rose gold cup (like this one in yellow to enhance a yellow diamond). Some people don’t like this as they find it harder to keep the diamond clean. The good news is that a solitaire setting won’t be too expensive so you can give it a try and if for some reason she doesn’t like it you can opt for a new setting in the future.
D8C108D1-CB19-43A2-A65E-89530888B028.jpeg

m92371

Rough_Rock
Great ideas and feedback guys I really appreciate it

I'm thinking maybe my jeweller may have a point - the 2.99 may be the wrong stone. But for the reason posted above - maybe it is super dark and they are hiding it with very bright lighting in the videos?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My unedumacated backside would never guess that’s the same stone.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this to say- why go for vivid?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“I” like it better than the other two
But still don’t think it looks believable as a natural mined diamond in everyday life, in any way.
Because as I stated before, the size, clarity and the facet cutting style.
Whether that matters to you/ your partner is what matters.

m92371

Rough_Rock
“I” like it better than the other two
But still don’t think it looks believable as a natural mined diamond in everyday life, in any way.
Because as I stated before, the size, clarity and the facet cutting style.
Whether that matters to you/ your partner is what matters.

That's fair.

I'd listen to my jeweller on the lighter pink 3.01 but I'm scared of it looking brown

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this doesn’t muddy the waters and this observation is my personal experience - not an expert. I just bought a pair of MMD pink earrings and they shift color in different lighting. Indoor pic looks more coppery, outside more rosy pink. I have a natural pink diamond, different shape, smaller, bezel set in WG - I have not noticed it shifting color like these MMD earrings. I don’t want to speculate and would love to know if an expert who has seen a lot of MMD and natural colored diamonds can explain if the color shift is unique to MMD.

51B4439D-08B0-4667-AFA5-0B6C563D2141.jpeg 040CF44A-6CD0-4595-82B6-DC71DBDFEBEA.jpeg

m92371

Rough_Rock
I hope this doesn’t muddy the waters and this observation is my personal experience - not an expert. I just bought a pair of MMD pink earrings and they shift color in different lighting. Indoor pic looks more coppery, outside more rosy pink. I have a natural pink diamond, different shape, smaller, bezel set in WG - I have not noticed it shifting color like these MMD earrings. I don’t want to speculate and would love to know if an expert who has seen a lot of MMD and natural colored diamonds can explain if the color shift is unique to MMD.

51B4439D-08B0-4667-AFA5-0B6C563D2141.jpeg 040CF44A-6CD0-4595-82B6-DC71DBDFEBEA.jpeg

Very very interesting

You have experience with both mmd and real pinks then.

Ok with this in mind, would you go for the 2.99 or 3.01ct?

2.99:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdji2el2uvjygbx/LG11096910.MOV?dl=0
https://ibb.co/G2FFwKR
https://ibb.co/4jQzC6f
https://ibb.co/n8qRT3k

3.01:
https://streamable.com/9khbg
https://streamable.com/gx07m
(I know 10x is pointless but here: https://v360.in/diamondview.aspx?cid=uniq&d=E64-2)

Also: what are you MMD pinks rated at (i.e. fancy light orange pink etc). If you could share the specs of you MMD pinks that would help MASSIVE!

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The earrings don’t have any specs because they are from Lightbox. They were $500 so I’m fine with the color shift at that price point. I only got them two days ago so will keep trying to see them in different lighting to see what happens.

Since you asked, if it were me I would get a sapphire like this, but bigger because your budget allows :D, as I’m not usually a fan of brown modifiers. Some people like brown modifiers so the preference shouldn’t be seen as a good or bad thing as long as it is noted and priced accordingly. Just curious, why does it have to be a diamond; is it your or her preference, or a cultural necessity?
Between your two choices it is hard to say because the lighting isn’t the same in the pics/vids so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison. Because of that I’d probably choose the less expensive one or the one your jeweler recommends to see in person. It sounds like you have time to buy, return and then buy the other if it turns out you don’t like it, right?
2E86FE80-2648-4021-BC9B-B387BC33627E.jpeg

m92371

Rough_Rock
The earrings don’t have any specs because they are from Lightbox. They were $500 so I’m fine with the color shift at that price point. I only got them two days ago so will keep trying to see them in different lighting to see what happens.

Since you asked, if it were me I would get a sapphire like this, but bigger because your budget allows :D, as I’m not usually a fan of brown modifiers. Some people like brown modifiers so the preference shouldn’t be seen as a good or bad thing as long as it is noted and priced accordingly. Just curious, why does it have to be a diamond; is it your or her preference, or a cultural necessity?
Between your two choices it is hard to say because the lighting isn’t the same in the pics/vids so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison. Because of that I’d probably choose the less expensive one or the one your jeweler recommends to see in person. It sounds like you have time to buy, return and then buy the other if it turns out you don’t like it, right?
2E86FE80-2648-4021-BC9B-B387BC33627E.jpeg

Thanks for your reply!

Neither have brown modifiers according to their certificates.

Unfortunately short on time - hours at best!

Diamonds because she prefers it :) can people tell the difference between a sapphire and diamond?!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget their certificates we see brown in the stones, I see brown in the stones - I'm an Aussie and I've seen a LOT of Argyle pink diamonds, real ones, not fake ones.

Even though you probably are not going to listen, your jeweller is saying that the darker 2.99 looks fake because it's dark, most pinks are not that dark and if they are they are like half a million plus and rarely with the slightly orangey brown tint this stone has, that's why it looks fake because he is being polite and telling you everyone is going to know it's an enhanced or a fake pink diamond, because that is what it looks like.

The second stone is more realistic because it's paler in colour. I have Argyle browns here nearly the same colour they colour change from browns in some lighting to pink browns. You don't see brown but we all do, the real pinks (one of my best friend who is a lawyer has a $35 000+ real Argyle pink that is tiny) and it never looks brown always pink, as another posted pointed out that's the trade off. The average person who sees her ring isn't going to know that because the average person hasn't seen that many Argyles so that's why it in fact looks more like but not exactly like a real pink diamond. Yes it is browner or it has a funky undertone that many enhanced and man made diamonds have.

Next point in the next 2 to 3 years the price of man made diamonds is going to drop significantly because a couple of big diamond companies have bought rights to also control the manufacture and sale of man made diamonds. This means your $20 000 man made pink today is going to be worth $5000 or less than that in the future, possibly less. I personally would not be O.K with that.

She wants a big diamond, she wants to impress everyone we get it, but that's a big loss to take on one thing to make her happy. Something like a pink sapphire or a pink spinel which you could indeed get to sort of look like a pink diamond is going to hold it's value way more than a man made diamond in the future market.

You could also buy a nice white diamond for $20 000 halo it to make it look bigger and lose way way less money going forwards.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Forget their certificates we see brown in the stones, I see brown in the stones - I'm an Aussie and I've seen a LOT of Argyle pink diamonds, real ones, not fake ones.

Even though you probably are not going to listen, your jeweller is saying that the darker 2.99 looks fake because it's dark, most pinks are not that dark and if they are they are like half a million plus and rarely with the slightly orangey brown tint this stone has, that's why it looks fake because he is being polite and telling you everyone is going to know it's an enhanced or a fake pink diamond, because that is what it looks like.

The second stone is more realistic because it's paler in colour. I have Argyle browns here nearly the same colour they colour change from browns in some lighting to pink browns. You don't see brown but we all do, the real pinks (one of my best friend who is a lawyer has a $35 000+ real Argyle pink that is tiny) and it never looks brown always pink, as another posted pointed out that's the trade off. The average person who sees her ring isn't going to know that because the average person hasn't seen that many Argyles so that's why it in fact looks more like but not exactly like a real pink diamond. Yes it is browner or it has a funky undertone that many enhanced and man made diamonds have.

Next point in the next 2 to 3 years the price of man made diamonds is going to drop significantly because a couple of big diamond companies have bought rights to also control the manufacture and sale of man made diamonds. This means your $20 000 man made pink today is going to be worth $5000 or less than that in the future, possibly less. I personally would not be O.K with that.

She wants a big diamond, she wants to impress everyone we get it, but that's a big loss to take on one thing to make her happy. Something like a pink sapphire or a pink spinel which you could indeed get to sort of look like a pink diamond is going to hold it's value way more than a man made diamond in the future market.

You could also buy a nice white diamond for $20 000 halo it to make it look bigger and lose way way less money going forwards.

Thanks for the honest feedback

For reference, do you rate this higher/lower than the light pink 3.01ct mentioned above?
https://streamable.com/4bwb0
https://v360.in/diamondview.aspx?cid=uniq&d=B174-6

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if labs for MMD note modifiers so you raise an interesting point and I’d love to hear an expert answer. My understanding is that depending on MMD growth process it isn’t unusual for there to be a tone/modifier which is why some go through additional treatments to change the color.
Take a deep breath, think about your priorities, and think about your intended’s priorities. Is size the most important factor, or maybe color, or having a ring to propose with by XX date? If other people’s opinion is fairly important it would give me pause to buy a colored MMD at this point. Again, she will get ‘what is it?’ questions because it isn’t believable that she would have a million dollar natural pink diamond and people don’t know that pink MMDs are an option. Of course, this will change over time but who knows when.
If a sapphire is an option and because she loves diamonds I would halo the heck out of that sapphire:
5433CAAA-C632-44F0-A667-7C64BA1DEEE3.png AF198ECE-8E38-4AB4-8754-837C419A9B77.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I know that pink man made diamonds and ALL lab created diamonds are about to drop drastically in price in the next two to three years in a big way is there any reason why you couldn't get a enhanced pink diamond or a pink moissanite, save the money for something else, that way in a couple of years it's not wasted. I'm not against lab created diamonds, great for the environment, cool concept, I just know that they are currently overpriced and about to become mass produced and fall sharply in price so all I see is you taking a big hit here.

That's what we all see. You seem to want to buy either of these stones and are desperate to do so, and are rushing because of this timeline - so why ask our opinion at all because you don't want to take it. Your jeweller said the paler stone looks more realistic, I agree, the darker one is better cut, they are both exceptionally bad value and will greatly decrease in price. You want people on a diamond forum to hold your hand and enable you to buy a piece of garbage, that is a huge waste of money. No one here in good conscience is going to do that.

We will wish you well we will congratulate you on your purchase of either but you are asking us to tell you which out of two overpriced pieces of junk is better.

freyjuve

Rough_Rock
Literally created an account to tell you to listen to arkieb1. They offered really solid advice.

Don't rush into this - 20k is a TON of money. Not only should you never rush into dropping that kind of money but this is literally a ring she will wear for the rest of her life. Pace yourself. Pick something she'll love forever. Go back to the people who told you to look at spinel or sapphire and take their advice. Or listen to the person who suggested you propose with something cheap and then shop for a ring together. If she says no because you don't have a 20k lab diamond to offer then she isn't really someone you want to marry anyhow.

Don't rush. Don't drop that much money on something that isn't perfect. arkieb1 is right, they're brown and the ROI on lab diamonds is nonexistent. The prices are predicted to plummet just like what happened to moissanite.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about 2 rings, a beautiful diamond engagement ring for the left hand and a pink sapphire for the right?

I do think either of these choices will be disappointing and you should do a solitaire in case of a return.

The instant loss of value depreciation is unnerving. Just give one of us 20k if you are so willing to lose it lol. I’ll take it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results