shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help needed! 2 stones, pink!

m92371

Rough_Rock
Hope you are very happy and enjoy the stone. Once it's set, we'd love pictures!

Thank you.

I think it actually appears better than I gave it credit for.

You guys suggested the original iPhone pics and video seemed off, so I requested a sunlight video.

Seems to match the certificate looks better for sure.

Thanks to you guys I pushed.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I've requested an invoice from NewWorldDiamonds to finalize payment.

I'm certain this is going to be the more 'pink' coloured stone in daily life over the 3.01

m92371

Rough_Rock
For fun, I've used the HCA on this 2.99 and it returned a score of 4. I informed my Jeweller of this and he mentioned that is within good, normal ranges. It should still sparkle well in person.

He suggested surrounding the stone with a halo of small whites (16 to 30 whites). What do you think? He said it will bring out more sparkle and enhance the pink tones. Is he correct?

One more: He mentioned that colored stones (especially pinks) should not be chosen based on HCA or eliminated based on this method, but I could not understand his reasoning why (he explained - too technical for me unfortunately!). Any ideas?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What size ring does your girlfriend wear? Asking because a huge stone with a halo may take up considerable real estate.

m92371

Rough_Rock
What size ring does your girlfriend wear? Asking because a huge stone with a halo may take up considerable real estate.

She has longer fingers and is slim in build, around 5'9". We tried a 3.5ct ring at tiffany once and it was about right in size. So Im basing on this. I think her ring size is USA 5 and a half? or 5 and 3/4?

My Jeweller was using the halo as a way to enhance the pink tones in the stone (his words). He thinks it will bring out the pinks.

Also, he says to use a platinum 6-claw design. Originally if the stone was very light, he said to use rose-gold claws, but because this is vivid pink with medium orange fluorescence, platinum will enhance the pinks

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
What does she like?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
ahhh okay, sounds like a plan

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I think a halo would be beautiful!! Please post pics when complete! We’d love to see!

m92371

Rough_Rock
I just received an email from an independent broker who I messaged a while ago, who just responded regarding both stones:

" The 3ct stone is certainly pink, from what your merchant has said - they claim it is 5pp or a tad over on the PINK scale....I cant say for sure, but it does look more natural to me in the two videos....Being honest, compared to the 2.99ct stone - that looks like a 'lolly-stone', it does not at all look like an authentic vivid pink or fancy vivid pink stone at all. That is the honest opinion "

What do they mean regarding the 3.01ct color rating + what do they mean about the 2.99ct being fake looking? Does it really look that bad?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 2.9 looks coppery/orangy brown pink and not vivid pink, but you know these things are hard to tell.

I’m guessing your intended specifically said she wanted pink?

I also don’t like the 3 carat either.

You don’t have to, but it would help if you explain why it needs to be so big and why it has to be pink. Thanks.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I think the 2.9 looks coppery/orangy brown pink and not vivid pink, but you know these things are hard to tell.

I’m guessing your intended specifically said she wanted pink?

I also don’t like the 3 carat either.

You don’t have to, but it would help if you explain why it needs to be so big and why it has to be pink. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

The size - she has tried on 3ct and 3.5ct stones before, they suit her as she has long fingers. Pink, it is her favorite color. She wants a pink stone, does not care if it is a lab stone.

The comment from my independent jeweler saying the 2.99ct (above) has me overthinking. again!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume she understands how hard this is to find a large pink diamond? Or did she just say she wanted a pink diamond not knowing how hard this is?

Did she try on pink diamonds?

m92371

Rough_Rock
I assume she understands how hard this is to find a large pink diamond? Or did she just say she wanted a pink diamond not knowing how hard this is?

Did she try on pink diamonds?

She has no idea how hard it is to find one!

She has tried on a ring with a pink center stone, it was a 4p rated stone.

This is the latest video of the 2.99 in sunlight. It doesn't look that brown? Or am I not seeing something I should?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdji2el2uvjygbx/LG11096910.MOV?dl=0im

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m92371

Rough_Rock
They both have return policies but I'd rather stick with a decision :) good piece of mind though!

It seems so 50/50 and I guess that is the way it is.

My jeweller friend who has worked with argyle pinks has said the 2.99 fancy vivid looks fake in color, whereas the 3.01 has a more realistic color.

But, the rotating video of the 2.99 shows it being more muted pink, which is apparently more realistic then the sunlight video.

He admits he has no idea which to get personally (himself), would pick the 3.01 but it really does seem polarizing!

m92371

Rough_Rock
Update AGAIN!!!!!

My jeweller sent me a text - he says the 2.99ct seems good in the iphone rotating video (more muted pink, more natural) but in the sunlight appears like plastic.

He told me to buy the 3.01ct because it looks realistic in color.......I cant believe it!

My accounts havent cleared so technically I can change it but wow - totally up against it. Never ends. need sleep!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually looking “fake” in color means the color is too good. A 3 ct round brilliant with decent cut is astonishingly rare in a natural fancy vivid pink. I’ve never seen or heard of one. Most people who are savvy about colored diamonds will know it is “fake” right off. BUT if you want a sparkly pink stone - does it matter? He didn’t say it was ugly. Just that it didn’t look real. Which it doesn’t. But nothing you said previously indicated that authenticity was the point.

I have no idea what the pink ratings are, can’t help you there.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Usually looking “fake” in color means the color is too good. A 3 ct round brilliant with decent cut is astonishingly rare in a natural fancy vivid pink. I’ve never seen or heard of one. Most people who are savvy about colored diamonds will know it is “fake” right off. BUT if you want a sparkly pink stone - does it matter? He didn’t say it was ugly. Just that it didn’t look real. Which it doesn’t. But nothing you said previously indicated that authenticity was the point.

I have no idea what the pink ratings are, can’t help you there.

It just got me thinking. I don't want her to wear something that looks like costume jewelry that's all.

I really appreciate your input.

Would you consider the last stone looking clearly 'pink' in color at all?

https://streamable.com/gx07m

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be a diamond? Have you looked at pink sapphires? You might find a better “true” pink that doesn’t look fake/costume in a sapphire. Or spinel as WW mentioned above.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Does it have to be a diamond? Have you looked at pink sapphires? You might find a better “true” pink that doesn’t look fake/costume in a sapphire. Or spinel as WW mentioned above.

It does have to be a diamond, yes.

I think the Vivid pink stone (video of it shown with the grass in the background) seems over exposed. K highly doubt it will look that vibrant in person (color wise). At least that is what I'm telling myself for comfort!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it sounds like you are going with the 2.99, right? Can you talk to your intended about if she would prefer a solitaire or halo and what type of wedding band she would like? There isn’t a right or wrong answer, it comes down to what she would like.

m92371

Rough_Rock
So it sounds like you are going with the 2.99, right? Can you talk to your intended about if she would prefer a solitaire or halo and what type of wedding band she would like? There isn’t a right or wrong answer, it comes down to what she would like.

From what I've found out, she prefers minimal mess, so a halo on a 3ct (9.1mm across) may push the size out to a 11mm total across, maybe a tad big?

My jeweller has blown up my phone saying the 3.01ct looks more natural based on the last video (which to me looks like a 7p pink, not 5 or 4p as they claim) I sent (with the stone in the hand) and is telling me to get that last minute. Jesus.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry.
I can’t imagine dropping 20k on a lab diamond that for all purposes looks like a PinkIce (tm!).
Maybe they’ll look more convincing in color years from now.
I know we shouldn’t post suggestions after someone’s purchased - but I agree with WW. DiamondsByLauren. 2ct CBI with pink diamond halo or their pinkish ruby with antique pear halo.
Twenty Thousand Dollars.

The most important part tho-
Engagement? Congratulations to you and your intended!

m92371

Rough_Rock
I’m sorry.
I can’t imagine dropping 20k on a lab diamond that for all purposes looks like a PinkIce (tm!).
Maybe they’ll look more convincing in color years from now.
I know we shouldn’t post suggestions after someone’s purchased - but I agree with WW. DiamondsByLauren. 2ct CBI with pink diamond halo or their pinkish ruby with antique pear halo.
Twenty Thousand Dollars.

The most important part tho-
Engagement? Congratulations to you and your intended!

My jeweller rethinking it said I need to change my order to this:

https://streamable.com/gx07m

As according to him, it looks like a 5p or 4p maximum and also has a more natural color tone.

I personally can't see this at 5p let alone 4p.

But he is adamant it is a better more realistic stone compared to this:

https://streamable.com/qzj5q

This last second change in direction has me so confused.

I'm able to last minute make a change like this but it's been a rollercoaster so far. I'm a second guessing kind of person with these things so it doesn't help either! Reasoning: the 2.99 looks too perfect and the color is a mix of vivid pink and intense pink with orange modifier - apparently so rare it's crazy (his words)

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for pictures in multiple light sources.
Indrect natural, incandescent, fluorescent-
I’m guessing some lighting will bring out the pink- some will bring out the brown.
That’s pretty brown tho. I agree it looks somewhat more believable than a cotton candy pink.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results