shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help needed! 2 stones, pink!

m92371

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies I appreciate it.

I guess at this stage, I've got to pick on color.

I'm leaning towards the 2.99ct also,but currently all pictures don't look vivid at all. Very dark/dull.

For the 3.01ct I received a new video:

https://streamable.com/vv3r1

The seller has told me this pink classifies as a 6pp or 5pp....I'm not so sure? Seems very faint?

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the issue with the 2.99 looking significantly duller is that you're seemingly sourcing them from two different vendors and the vendor for the 3.01 is much better at photographing things in flattering lighting. If you could see them both at once it would be a lot easier to choose.

My worry with the 3.01 is that it will not be dark enough to look noticeably pink and will just look like a champagne diamond... whereas the 2.99 will obviously intentionally have color. I would suspect the 2.99 will go darker in some lighting but that's the tradeoff you get with most colored stones, and especially if you have limited choices.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I think the issue with the 2.99 looking significantly duller is that you're seemingly sourcing them from two different vendors and the vendor for the 3.01 is much better at photographing things in flattering lighting. If you could see them both at once it would be a lot easier to choose.

My worry with the 3.01 is that it will not be dark enough to look noticeably pink and will just look like a champagne diamond... whereas the 2.99 will obviously intentionally have color. I would suspect the 2.99 will go darker in some lighting but that's the tradeoff you get with most colored stones, and especially if you have limited choices.

That is what I was thinking.

I don't believe that the 3.01ct stone is a 5pp rating at all after looking up the pink color scale.

On the other hand, the professional video of the 2.99ct is extremely bright.

I'm really confused. What would you do? Should I request more pics of the 3.01?

The 3.01ct in the 10x video looks amazing and light pink. Yet in the most recent video (posted just above) it looks very faint.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is what I was thinking.

I don't believe that the 3.01ct stone is a 5pp rating at all after looking up the pink color scale.

On the other hand, the professional video of the 2.99ct is extremely bright.

I'm really confused. What would you do? Should I request more pics of the 3.01?

The 3.01ct in the 10x video looks amazing and light pink. Yet in the most recent video (posted just above) it looks very faint.

I would trust the recent video more than the studio 10x video. The recent one is more what a fancy light looks like in terms of color saturation, to me. If you request another video, I'd request of the 2.99 in a couple different lighting situations.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I would trust the recent video more than the studio 10x video. The recent one is more what a fancy light looks like in terms of color saturation, to me. If you request another video, I'd request of the 2.99 in a couple different lighting situations.

Ok I'll request another video of the 2.99ct stone in daylight conditions and make a decision based on that.

To me, the 3.01ct most recent video does indeed look champagne like. Hints of pink.

Would this still be noticeable pink in general daily life? Or just like an off white/champagne?

What stone would you go for?

m92371

Rough_Rock
For reference the 2.99 is from Newworlddiamonds

http://newworlddiamonds.com/

I know they are a new company. I just don't know much about them. They seem legitimate and have been responsive to all my messages and requests.

Their 2.99 stone has a valid IGI certificate and matches the IGI online lookup.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, the 2.99 has the 41.6 pavilion and is worse cut for light return than the 3.01 -- at least according to the proportions. My guess is some of the darkness you see is related to light leakage, not pure color difference.

By chance have you asked for an ASET or IS image? You're going to see leakage in both but it should identify what is being said.

m92371

Rough_Rock
FWIW, the 2.99 has the 41.6 pavilion and is worse cut for light return than the 3.01 -- at least according to the proportions. My guess is some of the darkness you see is related to light leakage, not pure color difference.

By chance have you asked for an ASET or IS image? You're going to see leakage in both but it should identify what is being said.

I haven't asked for that no.

I figured that for colored stones, it's best to get a good color grade as a first priority.

New world diamonds will send me a video of the 2.99ct in "real" lighting conditions shortly.

I'll make a decision within the next 12 hours - it is my deadline!

What would you go for of the two?

I'm finding the 3.01 look super.light in the last video compared to the 10x, where it had a great pink color

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is what I've been told by my jeweller over the phone just now.

So back to square 1. Which of the two stones above? 3.01 seems to have overall best specs apart from clarity. But my jeweller said vs2 and vvs2 are both eye clean, you won't tell.

From what he said to me:

The 2.99ct does not appear to look like it is truly vivid pink on the iphone photos ("not vibrant")
The 3.01ct looks fancy pink, in the sunlight video at least.
He believes the 3.01ct will be the best performing stone of the two in terms of pink eye color and sparkle.
Mentioned never to pick based on 10x videos as this is not how they appear in real life.

For reference, my jeweller is only setting the stone - he isnt selling it to me so he is as neutral third party as I can get.

EDIT: Im 50/50 on which now more than ever. The 2.99 on paper has better color, but looks flat in the iphone pics I was sent (could this just be bad photos?)

They all look brown to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at diamonds by Lauren.
I think the biggest issue is that OP simply won't find a well cut/outstanding color 3ct lab stone for 20k. So unless the budget or carat requirements change, he's stuck with sub par options.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the biggest issue is that OP simply won't find a well cut/outstanding color 3ct lab stone for 20k. So unless the budget or carat requirements change, he's stuck with sub par options.

I totally agree, and I agree with your idea of finding a well cut pink among lab pinks.

20k is a healthy budget but perhaps the lady has champagne tastes on a beer budget :?:

If I wanted pink, it would have to be pink and not brown. I’d take much smaller and double halo it, because also with fancy colors, color is more important than size.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.leibish.com/pink-diamonds

Leibish pinks. These are probably in Israel so likely don’t fit your timetable.

But you are also trying to do the impossible with the size and the budget so idk what to tell you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that they are colored diamonds, you can't really analyze the cut in the same way. They are NOT cut for light return because light return lightens or erases the color. The cuts are to intensify the color - just about the exact opposite of what this forum usually wants in terms of diamonds. It is going to be next to impossible to find a tolkowsky ideal cut in a colored diamond unless he can contact the vendor and have it custom cut, or buys one and has it recut - and then no guarantees in terms of what it will do to the color. Since he wants a PINK diamond, I would not pay any attention at all to the HCA. Since they are decently cut RBs, they will sparkle just fine.

I would get the one with the Fancy Vivid grading. I've seen some Fancy Vivids that look that light, but still got the grade, and it looks no lighter than a Fancy Intense to me. It does look to me to have a brown or orange modifier, but the Fancy Light also does, so that may just be how they come. I do not like the Brilliant Earth ones.

Right. BE has a lot of orangy pink and brown orangy pink. I would go smaller and choose a vivid pink.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Other options: A large pink sapphire or ruby would fit in the budget and get that "wow" color. Diamonds by Lauren has some of those too.

Last video reads champaign to me, too.

By the way, sorry - this must be very frustrating.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other options: A large pink sapphire or ruby would fit in the budget and get that "wow" color. Diamonds by Lauren has some of those too.

Last video reads champaign to me, too.

By the way, sorry - this must be very frustrating.

That’s a great ideal also.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Pressed for time, how about buying a stand-in until you and your fiancé can find the perfect stone together?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like strawrose’s suggestion. $20K is a lot to spend on something you don’t love. Make the proposal special and take a little more time to get a stone you are both happy with.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is better for you, since it will take a lot off your shoulders. You can also relax on vacation without worry about getting robbed.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm afraid the OP has stopped to beat his head against the wall. Poor guy, so much pressure.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest the same thing a ring pop or something that costs very little as a stand in and allow her input into helping to choose a diamond with the help of people here. You seem to think bigger = better, she also probably just wants a big stone. The people here, are trying to explain to you, that diamonds that are really well cut not only return more fire and sparkle to the eye they appear bigger and brighter to the eye. So a dull stone with less light return is going to appear smaller because it has less edge to edge brilliance.

Colour diamonds are cut for size and weight and colour, but unlike many of them, you are purchasing a round brilliant cut, therein lies the dilemma, you want something nicely cut AND a nice pink colour.

And one more thing worth mentioning, I have a couple of tiny real Argyle pink diamonds, some of them in some lighting are a brownish pink not a pink pink, so you need to avoid that across all lighting situations too.

Given all of those things I would not rush and spend $20 000 or more on a stone that you cannot see before you set it and that you cannot return. Photos and videos are fine, but you probably need to see it in person to make sure that it has enough fire and sparkle, and is a decent shade of pink with no brown to it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The doctor is 2 hours late, so I’ve got time to think about this.

Lab diamonds currently have zero resale value, so right now I absolutely would not spend 20K on a lab diamond. After the return period is over, you have lost 20k.

Really think about this. Really really think about it. Buyer beware.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The doctor is 2 hours late, so I’ve got time to think about this.

Lab diamonds currently have zero resale value, so right now I absolutely would not spend 20K on a lab diamond. After the return period is over, you have lost 20k.

Really think about this. Really really think about it. Buyer beware.

In addition, a 3 ct natural pink diamond is probably over 1 million dollars. This may cause people to question what she is wearing, unless you run in that set.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition, a 3 ct natural pink diamond is probably over 1 million dollars. This may cause people to question what she is wearing, unless you run in that set.

I think 99+% of people have no idea how expensive fancy colored diamonds are, so this would not be a worry for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results