shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade thoughts?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The “tuck it away for a few days” suggestions make me smile. Then I thought about what great advice this really is.

If I have anything of value gone for a short time (out of town m, away from family - my primary car in the shop while I drive something else, etc..) I always LOVE The return. Try this “forced exile” and let us know how it goes :).

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly where I am! I want 10mm but I m scared that if I get there, what's next?

I feel like an addict.

Listen, I've dealt with a lot of addiction in my life with close friends and family. If you have to be addicted to something, this may be the priciest addiction you can have, but it sure beats the other options! :lol:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Priorities can change as we age too. Some of the material things that were so important to me in my 40s and 50s don’t have the same sway over me now. HOWEVER...it makes me sort out what I really want, and what I want to pay to have it. I’m also fickle and can change my mind in an instant! :roll2: It can also be a time to focus on ourselves as well. I love the pic of your gold band! I’ve been wearing mine a lot when I’m at home and find it rather carefree and liberating in a way. But make NO mistake, I’m happy to break out the bling again! I’m glad you opened this dialogue @ceg, we all can relate and share!

Last edited:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Priorities can change as we age too. Some of the material things that were so important to me in my 40s and 50s don’t have the same sway over me now. HOWEVER...it makes me sort out what I really want, and what I want to pay to have it. I’m also fickle and can change my mind in an instant! :roll2: It can also be a time to focus on ourselves as well. I love the pic of your gold band! I’ve been wearing mine a lot when I’m at home and find it rather carefree and liberating in a way. But make NO mistake, I’m happy to break out the bling again! I’m glad you opened this dialogue @ceg, we all can relate and share!

@Bonfire I have a hard time spending money on jewelry, but believe me, my "next dog" fund is progressing quite nicely. My husband would likely balk at spending big money on bling, but he knows not to even bother arguing when it comes to animals. He usually just sighs and says "whatever you want." @ceg maybe that's what I'M addicted to! :twirl:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely going to sit on this for a while. I do love my ring, sometimes I just think I want the excitement of upgrading. Lol, I probably need to find less expensive excitement. My ring is less than a year old!!!

Gold band for a while. Breathe and listen to wise psers!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late but I love your ring and think this is a good idea.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sympathize because I wrestle with it myself. I could have upgraded for my big birthday this year but I chose not to..I know I’m crazy...I purchased some really nice things and lots of in betweens...along with unmentionables that I can’t really talk about here. I will say I did purchase a 4 carat AV emerald cut moissanite to scratch my step cut itch. I would never buy an emerald cut diamond in that size because although I love them I’m more the round diamond girl..I’m going to get a really nice platinum setting made for it..Mixing things up with other styles definitely helps. You can still get a bling fix and put your diamond away for a bit and have a variety.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often feel the need for bling and tell my DH, I am craving sparklies. When I upgraded last I had to trade in the stone and I missed it! I don’t want to give up the stone I have now.

I’m not sure anyone on their deathbed says, darn I wish I would have bought more bling!
Ok, scratch that. Maybe a Pricescoper.

I think it’s a good idea to save the big upgrades for a big anniversary. Gives you time to plan, and a lot of the joy is in the planning. That what I am hoping to do for our upcoming 40th. Maybe a ruby or that sapphire ring I have been craving.
@ceg, we are all addicts!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ceg I want to be very clear. I’m in no way trying to influence your decision. I’m only speaking for myself. If an upgrade is what you desire, then by all means upgrade! :appl:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bonfire lol, I appreciate any and all advice! I need this to be final or at least for a looooong time though because I want it set in an Erika Winters. I really need to sit on it for a while. :P2

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bonfire lol, I appreciate any and all advice! I need this to be final or at least for a looooong time though because I want it set in an Erika Winters. I really need to sit on it for a while. :P2
Ooh something pretty has caught your eye!:love: Do show and tell :appl:
It’s fun to plan and dream!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you happy with your ering? Do you think it is/always will be the "one"?

I switch out multiple rings as erings and the OEC in my avatar is by far the one I wear the most. While I am very happy with this OEC and it is quite large, I do wish I saw less of my finger. I don’t think I would upgrade the diamond as I am not comfortable with that much money in one piece of jewelry. I sometimes wonder if it would look bigger if it were set higher, or maybe a tiny halo of single cuts to cover more finger area. I also wonder if a 1.5-2ct OEC 5 stone band to go with it would cover more of my finger and if that would look good or not (I see big eternity bands with big diamonds in MRBs but not so much OECs).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dream about Margot!

Her settings are gorgeous. :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: Being on here you get exposed to so many beautiful things and it's impossible to have them all. Maybe making it a milestone goal will help, you can plan for it and make sure your desires don't change over the next x years til the next big bday or anniversary.

I sometimes wish I'd never found these boards! I think I would have ended up with something more mainstream and never given it another thought :mrgreen2::lol-2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg I think that it's great to lust and dream big bling dreams. When the perfect WF upgrade comes into their inventory that hits your sweet spot with the balance of specs and pricing, you'll know it and go for it.

Right now, just keep studying and memorizing their inventory :lickout:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg But then what are friends for? https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4055562.htm

Go big or go home! On the other hand, it would mean a new setting too - ugh!

Just half heartedly kidding - your ring is gorgeous - I've seen it with my own eyes so stick with the 'put it away for a few days' plan - every week - lol! Only wear it on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. :lol::lol::wavey: Don't you just love me??

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But then what are friends for? https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4055562.htm

Go big or go home! On the other hand, it would mean a new setting too - ugh!

Just half heartedly kidding - your ring is gorgeous - I've seen it with my own eyes so stick with the 'put it away for a few days' plan - every week - lol! Only wear it on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. :lol::lol::wavey: Don't you just love me??

Wow, gorgeous stone!

I DO love you, MGR! But I am not sure DH would! :lol::lol::lol:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I am probably the easiest diamond buyer. Only 2 Cs for me - cut and carat. My color gauge is not too good. Plus I tend to like a creamier color anyway. And my close up vision is terrible! Really terrible.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely understand how you feel! I get WF updates for when they get new diamonds over 3 carats. It gets so tempting when something pops up. I don’t want to go up that much in size, just up to 9.5 mm but I’ve noticed the prices have gone up enough that it doesn’t seem worth it for such a small difference in mm size. Also, I would have to get a brand new setting, etc.
Believe me I’ve been tempted to upgrade, I even contacted WF three months ago about a potential diamond, but I then changed my mind. Why? Because I love my diamond and would only trade if I could get the same exact stats. I love the color, clarity and numbers. As is I don’t wear my diamond that much anyway and at times I’m embarrassed that it’s too big. It almost doesn’t match my lifestyle.
I think because I don’t wear it that much when I do wear it, it looks so big again. Then after a few days it looks just right. So I do think the idea of putting it away every now and then is good.
If you do go up to 10 mm will you be satisfied? I had the size I wanted before- I VS2 3.321 ACA and traded it for the smaller one I currently own. I’m much happier with the diamond I have now.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is crazy how our own eyes see things.

At the gtg, @leukolenos was trying on my ring. I got distracted because a lot was going on. When I looked over at her hand, I said something to the effect, "that diamond is big," not realizing it was my ring!!! I felt pretty stupid! And of course it shrunk the second I put it on my finger!!!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know the problem with a 10mm stone? Kid you not 6 months into it you think “ it isn’t that big why didn’t I go just a little bigger ? “

And what is scary is you are only half joking:eek2::eek2:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It really is crazy how our own eyes see things.

At the gtg, @leukolenos was trying on my ring. I got distracted because a lot was going on. When I looked over at her hand, I said something to the effect, "that diamond is big," not realizing it was my ring!!! I felt pretty stupid! And of course it shrunk the second I put it on my finger!!!

Girl because it IS big! I love it! :love:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know the problem with a 10mm stone? Kid you not 6 months into it you think “ it isn’t that big why didn’t I go just a little bigger ? “

And what is scary is you are only half joking:eek2::eek2:

Mine is over 10.5 and I’m totally disgusted with myself at how “normal” it looks on.

I tried to rationalize it saying that I have large fingers but we all know the truth :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think that all diamonds shrink for their owners. Our eyes just get used to what we are seeing and it is hard to keep it in perspective! When I first came to PS, you would seldom see a two carat stone but they have grown exponentially since then. Large became normal and larger seemed like it could be realistic. In that context I don’t know that anyone would ever be totally satisfied! :angryfire:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me telling you that your ring is gorgeous probably won't scratch the itch, but it is gorgeous, like ring goals gorgeous.

PS is so great in so many ways but it can also give you a false sense of reality. Before I got my 1.25 I was rocking a whopping 1/3 carat in an illusion setting which is of course tiny by PS standards. However when we went to parent/teacher conferences I noticed that my bling was not that much smaller, the difference was the extra oomph the setting provided.

I think it's a great idea to give your daily driver a little vacay and then you will fall in love all over again when you put her back on. If not though feel free to send her on a little getaway to CT and I'll keep her safe for ya! :lol-2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @StephanieLynn! I think we see some of the best of the best (outside of celebrities and royalty, lol) here on ps. It definitely warps what is reality!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is over 10.5 and I’m totally disgusted with myself at how “normal” it looks on.

I tried to rationalize it saying that I have large fingers but we all know the truth :lol:

Lolololol! Stop beating yourself up! I think anything you wear frequently will start to look and feel normal. You know it's only diamonds that get this size hangup...10.5mm of a colored stone and no one cares! o_O:lol-2:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @StephanieLynn! I think we see some of the best of the best (outside of celebrities and royalty, lol) here on ps. It definitely warps what is reality!

That is so true....we are definitely in a parallel bling universe here! :lol:

Lolololol! Stop beating yourself up! I think anything you wear frequently will start to look and feel normal. You know it's only diamonds that get this size hangup...10.5mm of a colored stone and no one cares! o_O:lol-2:
You know, I hadn’t ever thought of it that way! It’s totally true though.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @ceg :wavey:

I find perpetually wanting to upgrade is a bit like being afraid you've left the iron on. There's a deep seated worry that you're missing out on something, y'know? Like - "What if I miss something? Something big? Shouldn't I be trying something else? Do I really have what I want the most - what if there's something better, and I'm missing it?? I haven't hit every style and cut yet! And what about that whole old cut thing? All I've got is mrb's! And - how about rubies?? I don't have a single ruby!!" This is, in my experience, complicated by age, in that, as time passes, I find myself thinking "How many more upgrades can I afford in the time I have? If I'm ever going to do this, I need to do it NOW. And that only takes care of the e-ring; what about that ruby??" It just goes on and on....

I absolutely love my 3 stone, but I think about upgrading all the time - so what does that tell me? It tells me I'm looking for more out of jewelry than just loving the ring I have. And if that's the case, I should probably be looking for something beyond jewelry.

I've made a hard rule for myself; the 3 stone stays. There is no doubt that I love it and it looks great on my hand. It truly is, in my opinion, the best of its kind 4.3 ctw of F/G ACAs in a style that is made specifically for my hand. It doesn't get any better than that...in this style.

So, I haven't said I can't get a bigger stone - I'm just telling myself that I can't get rid of the ring I already have. This is also helped by my husband, who said to me, "Mrs B, I want you to treat this ring with respect equal to the amount of work I had to do to get it." And that made all the sense in the world to me.

Knowing I won't be getting rid of this ring has cut the frenzy a lot for me. It's not the getting something new that bothers me - it's getting rid of all the previous rings I've owned that makes it all feel so frenetic. Having reached a place where I want to keep everything I own, there's not a lot to do except save and wait.

I had a 10.35mm ring and, before that a bit, I had an 11.3mm ring. At 11.3mm it just looked fake on me, and at 10.35 with a halo (12.6mm in total) it just looked wrong. On the other hand, I LOVED the 4.01ct stone I had as a solitaire - it was the halo that was a mistake - and I wanted something icy white. I hope to buy a 4ct ACA again at some point in the future, but that will be a forever ring also.

Having decided they're all forever rings from this point onwards, I tend to make SURE that what I get is truly what I want. I remind myself of that, often, when I think about upgrading. I already have my forever ring, and I truly do love it!

@ceg - I LOVE your e-ring - do keep it as it is!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results