shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on warmer stone

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
While I love OECs, I can’t see this K as anything other than a TC should I recut :)

It’s a very good thing when you know what you want!
I’m sticking with recutting the K! 110%!!!!
I can’t wait to see one of Ashley’s recuts with a warm stone!!! It’s going to be fabulous!!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I guess it’s the best kind of dilemma LOL! It’s not that keeping both wouldn’t be an option, I just don’t think I want two projects with TCs. Plus, I have a few projects lined up already this year…like that rhodalite garnet from Premier Auctions :D :D :D because I make horrible decisions!

OMG this is where I am now, I have my original 2.5 OEC from Alex and its not that i can't keep both but I just feel like i am not going to wear it now... soooooo on to the preloved it goes! Thankfully i am not sentimental.

I'm trying to sell stuff I dont wear to fund projects, and then i go on preloved and want to buy things... I HAVE to stop hanging out here and go back to reading the reddit AITA forum... :lol-2:

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
OMG this is where I am now, I have my original 2.5 OEC from Alex and its not that i can't keep both but I just feel like i am not going to wear it now... soooooo on to the preloved it goes! Thankfully i am not sentimental.

I'm trying to sell stuff I dont wear to fund projects, and then i go on preloved and want to buy things... I HAVE to stop hanging out here and go back to reading the reddit AITA forum... :lol-2:

Really? Girl your ring is iconic, I am sure there will be a feeding frenzy if you sell it lol! But if I had your new stone, I probably wouldn’t wear anything else either! I’m not sentimental either - my husband is so used to me changing up my wedding set at this point (I won’t even tell you how many rings I’ve had hahaha).

I’m in the same boat! I have 4 projects in the queue and I need to sell to find them but then I come here and lose my mind and control :D

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Ok friends, I think I have a starting point for my new ring (I am 100% recutting my diamond)! This is not a perfect drawing, let’s just start there lol. I found an older ring that has details on the shank that I love. I want to make a few edits to the original picture to update the look a little. On the side view of the band, I want it to match my new tourmaline ring - I’m on a wheat design kick. What are your thoughts on this sketch? Attaching my tourmaline ring for band details and the inspiration picture for the shank :) IMG_1720.jpeg

Attachments

• 95934-4.jpeg
    95934-4.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1664.jpeg
    IMG_1664.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 27

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Dilemma time :lol-2:

When speaking to Ashely about cutting my stone, he said that I will lose some of the color in the recut. So now I have a decision to make! Do I keep the stone as is? I bought this stone because I loved the warmth…will it be as special to me if I recut it and it faces up whiter? Thoughts???

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
When speaking to Ashely about cutting my stone, he said that I will lose some of the color in the recut.
Can he predict how much whiter? How does that happen? It’s so interesting that a transitional cut would decrease the warmth. Or maybe it’s the loss of carat weight? Hmmmmmm …

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Can he predict how much whiter? How does that happen? It’s so interesting that a transitional cut would decrease the warmth. Or maybe it’s the loss of carat weight? Hmmmmmm …

He wasn’t able to say. It’s weird, I’ve searched online and can’t find why that would be a thing. They grade the color based on the side view, right? So maybe it’s the loss of carat weight?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
He wasn’t able to say. It’s weird, I’ve searched online and can’t find why that would be a thing. They grade the color based on the side view, right? So maybe it’s the loss of carat weight?

I just went to the 100-carat exhibit at the Natural History Museum here in LA, and they said that the number of facets affect color. That’s why the Olivene was cut with so few facets - in order to preserve the deep green.

Maybe that’s what would happen here. Some of the trade folk may know more.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I just went to the 100-carat exhibit at the Natural History Museum here in LA, and they said that the number of facets affect color. That’s why the Olivene was cut with so few facets - in order to preserve the deep green.

Maybe that’s what would happen here. Some of the trade folk may know more.

Hmmm that is very interesting!!! I’m sure there is a simple explanation =)2 I’m still on the fence about which route to go. Maybe I should cut another stone? I have one almost identical in size but much whiter already.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm that is very interesting!!! I’m sure there is a simple explanation =)2 I’m still on the fence about which route to go. Maybe I should cut another stone? I have one almost identical in size but much whiter already.
I Really like the warmth in this stone @jaqjaqjaq , would you consider keeping this one and the transitional one Ashley already cut. The one you bought from me? You won't get a stone that size cut for the price @Inked pay, or what you and I paid. Maybe sell the one that is much whiter? What size is the much whiter one?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I Really like the warmth in this stone @jaqjaqjaq , would you consider keeping this one and the transitional one Ashley already cut. The one you bought from me? You won't get a stone that size cut for the price @Inked pay, or what you and I paid. Maybe sell the one that is much whiter? What size is the much whiter one?

Hi my friend! That’s not a bad idea at all! I could set the warmer stone as an ering like I had wanted to originally. I could then set the current TC into maybe a halo since it doesn’t have as much finger coverage as I would like? The much whiter stone is 4.10ct ct - it’s currently in a setting that I don’t often wear…so maybe this does all work out?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
**Takes "chief enabler hat" off @peppermintpatty 's head and puts on "Chief enabler hat"**

Oh! I like this idea of a halo on the trans!! And not like not a little airline halo, but maybe a chunky type halo?? OR maybe a 3 stone?? or a toi et moi or a cuff ring/between the finger ring?? Or a ballerina ring??

I do love the warmth of this and if you're going to lose it then maybe doing the original setting you wanted and giving up the 4 carat is better???

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
When speaking to Ashely about cutting my stone, he said that I will lose some of the color in the recut.

@Garry H (Cut Nut) @Karl_K @Rockdiamond @Wink, can any of you gentlemen explain why going from a MRB to a transitional would decrease the warmth of @jaqjaqjaq’s stone?

At the 100 ct exhibit in LA, they have a deep green Olivine which was purposely faceted minimally in order to keep the color. What’s the relationship between facet patterning and color? Thank you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe loss of depth specifically. Most of the recut is to the pavilion where they make the lower halves shorter to crate the chunky arrows.

I would leave her be. She is a lovely MRB.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Hi my friend! That’s not a bad idea at all! I could set the warmer stone as an ering like I had wanted to originally. I could then set the current TC into maybe a halo since it doesn’t have as much finger coverage as I would like? The much whiter stone is 4.10ct ct - it’s currently in a setting that I don’t often wear…so maybe this does all work out?

Hi @jaqjaqjaq Thanks! I'm trying to find a way for you to have what you love without taking a hit. If you do decide to go with a halo, maybe consider single cut diamonds with the TC. I think they would look lovely together! Perhaps it's not all bad to have one be closer to a 3ct and one a 4ct. You know what they say about variety ;-)
I'll be excited to see what you decide!!!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for weighing in and helping me solution this!

I was contacted this afternoon about the TC I had up for sale and decided to go forward so that is pending sale =)2

I am also going to leave my warm beauty as-is and set her with DK. I think I will go fairly simply on the design and do my first platinum project.

I think I will stay here for a little while and enjoy this process before jumping to anything new. Unless @Inked decides to influence me :lol-2:

I hope everyone was able to step away and enjoy the eclipse!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for weighing in and helping me solution this!

I was contacted this afternoon about the TC I had up for sale and decided to go forward so that is pending sale =)2

I am also going to leave my warm beauty as-is and set her with DK. I think I will go fairly simply on the design and do my first platinum project.

I think I will stay here for a little while and enjoy this process before jumping to anything new. Unless @Inked decides to influence me :lol-2:

I hope everyone was able to step away and enjoy the eclipse!

Well you see there’s this 4.1 ct OMC I might be selling…

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Welp, I ended up buying @Inked mine cut! So now I have the best of both worlds and my bank account does not :lol-2:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Welp, I ended up buying @Inked mine cut! So now I have the best of both worlds and my bank account does not :lol-2:

I refuse to be the only one with a diamond addiction!!!!! Now I have two 5 carat and you have two 4 carat.

And you know what that means?!?!?!

I need a 4 carat. You need a 5 carat. And @peppermintpatty has some catching up to do :P2

ashdawnp

Rough_Rock
I refuse to be the only one with a diamond addiction!!!!! Now I have two 5 carat and you have two 4 carat.

I need a 4 carat. You need a 5 carat. And @peppermintpatty has some catching up to do :P2

Dang I thought I had first dibs on that 4 carat omc

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Dang I thought I had first dibs on that 4 carat omc

Actually I think ScandiQueen beat you to it in the thread, but @jaqjaqjaq and I are actually friends "in real life" outside of here, LOL!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Fair fair but not haha

I’m so sorry! We actually have been talking about me buying it before she made her post =)2 I had the funds because my TC finally sold yesterday!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

I got the ruby french cut eternity ring, remember ;-) I'm doing just fine! Enjoying the two of you and all of your bling! Very happy and excited for both of you!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahaha you are going to cause my divorce next :lol-2: @peppermintpatty save yourself while you can!
I'm doing my best!!! I'm trying to be good! I don't want to have to do a major purge again. So I'm trying. I do have some fun pictures I need to take with my new ruby ring and with my larger diamond french cut eternity ring. I think that will keep me happy for the time being anyway :)

I'll try to be an innocent bystander to you and @Inked, it will not be easy lol!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I got the ruby french cut eternity ring, remember ;-) I'm doing just fine! Enjoying the two of you and all of your bling! Very happy and excited for both of you!!!

Awwww I was hoping you got that ring!!! It is stunning!!! If you ever sell it you better tell me first lol!!! Will you be stacking it with your current set?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results