shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional cut diamond?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Its nice though! Any hints on where I can find it?

I can’t access LT from my phone. I’ll send you the info tomorrow from my desktop!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you have your own wish list and criteria, but in case it helps or anyone watching is curious, that expensive eBay stone will not look pretty in real life. I agree in that one photo the pattern looks nice, but I want to point out a couple images that show the negative effect of the way-too flat crown.

See how the center is bright in this image but the periphery of the diamond is dark? You will only get brightness and light return from those central facets. The entire surround that is duller and grey will just be dull and grey in real life in most lighting.

IMG_2233.png

This picture shows how it will likely look in most viewing. Just flat and grey with very little sparkle.

IMG_2232.png

Even in shitty eBay pictures for a nicely cut transitional you should see edge to edge brightness in a distance shot and in close ups too!

Hope this helps. It was way overpriced too lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you have your own wish list and criteria, but in case it helps or anyone watching is curious, that expensive eBay stone will not look pretty in real life. I agree in that one photo the pattern looks nice, but I want to point out a couple images that show the negative effect of the way-too flat crown.

See how the center is bright in this image but the periphery of the diamond is dark? You will only get brightness and light return from those central facets. The entire surround that is duller and grey will just be dull and grey in real life in most lighting.

IMG_2233.png

This picture shows how it will likely look in most viewing. Just flat and grey with very little sparkle.

IMG_2232.png

Even in shitty eBay pictures for a nicely cut transitional you should see edge to edge brightness in a distance shot and in close ups too!

Hope this helps. It was way overpriced too lol

Appreciate this insight!!!!

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
@Dreamer_D good info!
I am just beginning my education on/search for an old cut, not sure yet which kind, but thanks to @lovedogs for starting this thread I am more informed and luckily have not made any impulsive nonreturnable purchases:razz:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last one is gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
More eye candy

Screenshot_20240319_072056_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_072229_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_072159_eBay.jpg

Yes these are more promising! Stone 3 still has more darkness under the table than I like for that make, can make it over dark. Stone 1 I actually like a lot and would like more images. Stone 2 has nice colors but can’t say much more. A more distant photo will help you evaluate all three so you can see if the brightness is edge to edge. Also a side shot showing crown height and table size. They all look photoshopped, unfortunately, which is really common for these types of vendors. Makes it harder to judge because they have messed with the bright/dark. A video can really help if the vendor is willing to take one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listing for 1

Listing for 2:

Listing for 3

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Haha @lovedogs you have already have it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, after seeing the video, less impressed with 3. The first one is looking like a winner, E color! I also like the second but wonder if it will be too small for you. I am biased towards a transitional in yellow gold though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I hate that setting but dont' mind removing a stone from a setting. I just can't really see the faceting I might ask for a video from them though!

Yeah, I get it totally, maybe worth asking if it looks promising to you. Also check out Treanor House on IG and Etsy, very pretty rings and maybe you will find the facet pattern you’re looking for.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Number one has the best cut by far! It is technically a transitional bc the proportions are so close to an MRB but I actually think the faceting looks more like an OEC. Certainly when worn it will feel more OEC like. Not sure it’s what you are after but I’m guessing a lucky lurker will snap it up. I think the price is not bad given the color and lab report. Look at this edge to edge brightness!

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

Number two is very small. I have a couple 4mm diamonds and you can’t see faceting at all. I think if you want to appreciate the faceting you need at least 5mm and ideally over 6mm. Besides that these pictures are red flags for me. See how dark the center is? Terrible.
IMG_2238.jpeg

Number 3 has promise. For me it’s still too much dark in the center. But the patterning is pretty well distributed across the face of the diamond. It looks nice across lighting. I don’t like to buy bezelled stones bc who knows what’s under there. And the setting is probably a good amount of the price they are asking. Not good value to buy just for the stone as there likely isn’t much market for resale of the mount. I still think you can find a better cut than this one, and better value.

IMG_2240.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting may be too much for you but posting this in case you haven’t seen it:

This feels like an American cut to me, like my diamond. Fat arrows rather than quilt pattern. The cut is decent, but in this photo you can see that it has some leakage. The crown is too shallow and the table a bit too large for this make. I find this kind of angled photo really good for assessing leakage. You would see the impact of this mushy faceting in other situations too, not just at this angle. It’s just how I like to assess it when looking at photos like this. I also prefer super precision with this kind of make so the arrows are really clear, as that’s kind of what this style of transitional is known for. In person this diamond will just look like a modern round for the most part, and a modestly cut one at that, so it probably won’t feel different enough to satisfy you.

IMG_2242.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you remind me of your budget and desired specs? I hunt ebay daily because I'm looking for something, and I can keep my eye out for you. I haven't been saving transitionals up to now bc I already have one and I'm looking for early OECs right now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you remind me of your budget and desired specs? I hunt ebay daily because I'm looking for something, and I can keep my eye out for you. I haven't been saving transitionals up to now bc I already have one and I'm looking for early OECs right now.

Thanks! Hoping for at least 6mm, 2k is my budget for the stone (obviously could be more if there's a mount). Blue fluor would be a bonus

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You set on the quilty pattern or open to a more American cut like mine?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this one from ivy and rose is promising. I asked them for a video. My concern is that it might be too small to appreciate the faceting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs FWIW mine is smaller than this and I can see the faceting pretty well.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one from ivy and rose is promising. I asked them for a video. My concern is that it might be too small to appreciate the faceting.

Just remember, you save a little going through their website:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results