shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline is here !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a book excerpt that discusses brilliance, windows and extinction. I can sometimes tolerate a window, but I cannot tolerate extinction. Your tourmaline has absolutely no extinction since it''s very light and bright in color. Darker tourmalines tend to exhibit a lot of extinction, in particular if they have a closed c-axis where the table of the gem is often cut from.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 3:41:46 AM
Author: arjunajane
And it goes a lil pale in direct sun - but it does have alot of fire and brilliance. Infact, more than I expected.

All in all, very happy with my first one, thanks for looking!

It''s GORGEOUS!!! Look at that fire! I love the minty-aqua color. Can''t wait to see how you''re going to set that beauty. CONGRATS!!!
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 8:24:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
This is a book excerpt that discusses brilliance, windows and extinction. I can sometimes tolerate a window, but I cannot tolerate extinction. Your tourmaline has absolutely no extinction since it's very light and bright in color. Darker tourmalines tend to exhibit a lot of extinction, in particular if they have a closed c-axis where the table of the gem is often cut from.
Cool TL - where can I find the excerpt sorry?
And so can I expect the cushion umbalite to have some exctinction? And will bezeling it make this worse?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 9:01:04 PM
Author: platinumrock

And it goes a lil pale in direct sun - but it does have alot of fire and brilliance. Infact, more than I expected.

It''s GORGEOUS!!! Look at that fire! I love the minty-aqua color. Can''t wait to see how you''re going to set that beauty. CONGRATS!!!
36.gif
Thanks Platinumrock!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love your tourmaline Arjunajane! The colour is gorgeous, and it looks cut so well!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 9:25:31 PM

And so can I expect the cushion umbalite to have some exctinction? And will bezeling it make this worse?
Duh, I forgot to attach the link.

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/brilliance_windows_extinction.htm

Cup the stone''s girdle in your fingers, as you have the cutlet on a flat surface, and see if it looks too dark or if there is ample light return. That''s a good way of telling.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
What a great color on that stone, I love it!! That green is so beautiful, it makes me think of spas and tranquility - however you choose to set it, it will be a stunner!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 11:14:35 PM
Author: babysteps
What a great color on that stone, I love it!! That green is so beautiful, it makes me think of spas and tranquility - however you choose to set it, it will be a stunner!
This is exactly what it made me think of - a beautiful relaxing spa. I absolutely love it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:53:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/13/2009 9:25:31 PM

Duh, I forgot to attach the link.

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/brilliance_windows_extinction.htm

Cup the stone''s girdle in your fingers, as you have the cutlet on a flat surface, and see if it looks too dark or if there is ample light return. That''s a good way of telling.
Ha ha, thanks TL. I will probably ask everyone''s help again once I have the stone, as I doubt I know what I''m looking for, lol..I hope it will work, as I really have my heart set on a bezel for this one.

Thanks Lauren, your gorgeous collection has been some of my inspiration to venture over to the colourful side!

Thankyou so much Babysteps and EricaR, I think thats a fabulous description!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so thanks to the encouragement of some of the lovely ladies in the RIW thread, I have decided to go ahead with the acquisition of my my next pet rock -
its a 3.1ct umbalte garnet, 8.6mm, cut by the lovely Gene. I just adore this cut, and can't wait to see it in person!

I will be 100% working with Sally of Heart of Water Jewels (etsy), but haven't really nailed down a design yet.
I strongly would love a bezel, something pretty organic and natural looking (maybe some leafy or floral motif), but apart from that I'm pretty open.
I was kind of hesitant at first on the size, as I was only aiming for ~7mm, but I've decided what the heck! If anyone has pics of rather delicate looking bezel settings though, I would like to see them. I'd like to still keep the ring to a very wearable size if possible.
It will be in 18k yellow gold (unless anyone thinks thats a bad idea?).

I promise to post pics once I receive it - which hopefully will be sooner than later!
11.gif
9.gif

precision cushion umbalite.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Just to go back to the grey modifiers, you can maybe spot one (if there is one) by this "scientific method". On a sunny day take it outside and compare the color to that of a clear blue sky. It should be more green, but not more grey. Of course, if you live in a large, polluted city you''ll have to come up with something else
20.gif

Your new garnet is beautiful! 18 karat yellow gold sound like a great combination with that burgundy kind of color, it could really bring a lot of richness to the design. But I''m not sure about bezeling it, cause it could end up too dark. Wait until you see it in person. BTW, it looks to have a lot of life to it, which is great!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 4:05:07 AM
Author: ma re
Just to go back to the grey modifiers, you can maybe spot one (if there is one) by this ''scientific method''. On a sunny day take it outside and compare the color to that of a clear blue sky. It should be more green, but not more grey. Of course, if you live in a large, polluted city you''ll have to come up with something else
20.gif

Your new garnet is beautiful! 18 karat yellow gold sound like a great combination with that burgundy kind of color, it could really bring a lot of richness to the design. But I''m not sure about bezeling it, cause it could end up too dark. Wait until you see it in person. BTW, it looks to have a lot of life to it, which is great!
Hi ma re, thats great info thankyou! Luckily I live in a pretty clean city, so I will give that a go.

I''m not quite ready to let go of the bezel idea yet - but I will definately consult the experts here again once I get it.
I''m glad you like the idea of the YG, I can''t wait to see this stone!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 3:30:33 AM
Ok, so thanks to the encouragement of some of the lovely ladies in the RIW thread, I have decided to go ahead with the acquisition of my my next pet rock -

its a 3.1ct umbalte garnet, 8.6mm, cut by the lovely Gene. I just adore this cut, and can''t wait to see it in person!

Adore your new pet!!
30.gif

It''s going to be smashing in 18k yellow--well done, Miss!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. Gene cut my mint tourmaline cushion in the exact same cut, and it really throws off light like it has electricity. I just love his cutting and his stones!! Congratulations on your acquisition, I hope you can post pictures when you get it.
31.gif
30.gif

Because of the way Gene cuts, you might be able to pull off a bezel with that stone, even though it's a garnet.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Umbalite Garnet is quite a bit darker than yours and has some extinction. I was really worried about setting it but I did, in w/gold and you don''t even see the extinction now - for some reason, it''s absolutely come alive and looks far better set than it did un-set. I don''t think you''re going to have any problems with darkness if the photos is a good representation of its colour.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello again!
35.gif

Thankyou Coats honey! I can''t wait to start working with Sally. She''s been great and we exchange messages nearly every day.
5.gif

Hi TL - yes, I saw this cut in his blog in a pink tourm and I absolutely fell in love, I had to have one! Of course I will post pictures, you betcha.
3.gif

Hi LD, that is very useful to know thankyou. I am glad you think it should be ok to bezel. The designer stated that in her experience, as long as we leave the sides/bottom open it won''t have any neg. effect on the stone (and like you said may even enhance it).

Now I just have to try to decide what to do !
Does anybody have any great ideas on how to incorporate the look a bezel *similiar* to Coati''s fabulous one, but with some kind of floral design, as in Kroshka''s lovely cushion?
Basically I would like to change it up enough that its not a "copy" of either.
5.gif

Here are my two main "inspiration" pics, I hope neither of the owners mind?

kroshka''s thread

Coati''s thread

kroshkas cushion_side.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
And of course "the gorgeous one", lol..
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoops, computer burp, sorry..

c bezel profile.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well woohooo missy!
30.gif

I think I''d be happy too. Congrats!
36.gif
And I can''t wait to see it set!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 7:15:20 PM
Author: Ellen

Well woohooo missy!
30.gif

I think I''d be happy too. Congrats!
36.gif
And I can''t wait to see it set!
Hi Ellen, good to see ya!

...have you seen my second one above.....?
11.gif
Things move quick in CS land, these gals are a bad influence, lol !

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Arjuna, that garnet''s beautiful! I''m so glad you decided to go with it - I can''t wait to see how it comes out!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 9:00:23 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Arjuna, that garnet''s beautiful! I''m so glad you decided to go with it - I can''t wait to see how it comes out!
Thanks BEG! I am slowly but surely getting addicted, lol..

Don''t suppose you have any suggestions for the setting?
5.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 7:30:02 PM

11.gif
6.gif
NO, I didn''t see that. Oh my, it''s gorgeous. So vibrant! Well aren''t you becoming quite the pet rock collector.
9.gif
Fun projects, congrats!

btw, how''s your fingie?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 7:16:52 AM

Date: 1/14/2009 7:30:02 PM

11.gif
6.gif
NO, I didn''t see that. Oh my, it''s gorgeous. So vibrant! Well aren''t you becoming quite the pet rock collector.
9.gif
Fun projects, congrats!

btw, how''s your fingie?
hmm?
33.gif

Yes, lots of fun playing over here, and lighter on my purse too! (well, slightly, lol)
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh aj, I am SO sorry. I don't know why, but sometimes I confuse you with coati. Not sure why I do that, although you both ARE really sweet and have great taste. That's no excuse though....

I'm sorry.
1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh that stone is beautiful! I looooooooove the color!!!!!!!!
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 12:03:45 PM
Oh aj, I am SO sorry. I don''t know why, but sometimes I confuse you with coati. Not sure why I do that, although you both ARE really sweet and have great taste. That''s no excuse though....

I''m sorry.
1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif
ha ha! Thats ok El, I will be happy to be confused with Coats anyday, especially considering what great jewellery she has.!
Does that mean I get to wear her stuff ?
11.gif
9.gif

awww..look at that lil guy! here ya go..
console2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 1:23:20 PM
Author: musey
Gosh that stone is beautiful! I looooooooove the color!!!!!!!!
30.gif
Thankyou musey - any bright ideas for the setting ladies?
5.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Arjunajane:

I just signed up with this placed and started a "blog" with picture of my peach tourmaline and the kinds of settings I have in mind. A consultant got back to me right away and they will be working on it. I think its pretty neat!

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/n_gallery3.asp

ETA: I believe the sapphire setting "Rosemarie" was designed by them.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 10:09:04 PM
Author: mochi
Arjunajane:

I just signed up with this placed and started a ''blog'' with picture of my peach tourmaline and the kinds of settings I have in mind. A consultant got back to me right away and they will be working on it. I think its pretty neat!

http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/n_gallery3.asp

ETA: I believe the sapphire setting ''Rosemarie'' was designed by them.
Hi Mochi! Thanks for the idea - I do like greenlake''s work alot.
I will be going with Sally from etsy for this one, but just not sure exactly what yet (got some ideas above).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results