shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline is here !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I have an idea that might work, but could require quite a bit of "finger space".

Take a look at THIS photo. See how the petals arch towards the center? Well, textured yellow gold petals could arch around your garnet to form a bezel, like a chrysanthemum that''s starting to open. It''s floral and it has a bezel. Of course, going into too much detail and sculpting all those petals spreading outwards isn''t necessary as it would make the setting quite big and also somewhat fragile, but I''m sure someone with more artistic sense than me could make something great out of this idea.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 3:28:50 AM
Author: ma re
I have an idea that might work, but could require quite a bit of ''finger space''.

Take a look at THIS photo. See how the petals arch towards the center? Well, textured yellow gold petals could arch around your garnet to form a bezel, like a chrysanthemum that''s starting to open. It''s floral and it has a bezel. Of course, going into too much detail and sculpting all those petals spreading outwards isn''t necessary as it would make the setting quite big and also somewhat fragile, but I''m sure someone with more artistic sense than me could make something great out of this idea.
That sounds really pretty ma re!
Linky doesn''t work though..? I want to see
5.gif

The artist I''m using does awesome engraving/carving and detail work, so it could very well work..

ma re

Ideal_Rock
HERE''s another similar photo
2.gif

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
very nize stone-jtv just released the material on tv on 1/15-exclusively mined from the umbal valley in africa-supposedly has a little spessartite & two other known garnets within the same material-a pretty & unique stone-enjoy...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 6:41:08 AM
HERE''s another similar photo
2.gif
Thanks ma re - ha ha, I was expecting a pic of a ring, lol!

Not sure if you have already seen this, but here is one of her "trademark" designs, the Lotus Blossom setting. I know its a different concept, but similiar feel to what you had in mind, no?

Very pretty, imho.

lotus etsy.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 6:54:03 AM
Author: m76steve
very nize stone-jtv just released the material on tv on 1/15-exclusively mined from the umbal valley in africa-supposedly has a little spessartite & two other known garnets within the same material-a pretty & unique stone-enjoy...
Hi steve, cheers for the info and compliment
5.gif
I''m pretty sure the cutter has had this rough for sometime, but I didn''t think to ask its origins. As long as its pretty, thats good enough for me.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 7:49:42 AM
Author: arjunajane

Not sure if you have already seen this, but here is one of her ''trademark'' designs, the Lotus Blossom setting. I know its a different concept, but similiar feel to what you had in mind, no?

Very pretty, imho.
Similar, but I had something more complicated in mind. Bezel would (go figure) go all around the stone as opposed to this ring, and it would be textured and shaped in a way that it resembles layers and layers of small petals. BTW, your stone being lower than the one in this photo would also make it easier to wear and the whole look would be more balanced IMO. Not to mention that a contrast of gold and garnet would be really something. It''d also be a challenge to the maker though...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 8:42:22 PM

ha ha! Thats ok El, I will be happy to be confused with Coats anyday, especially considering what great jewellery she has.!
Does that mean I get to wear her stuff ?
11.gif
9.gif

awww..look at that lil guy! here ya go..
console2.gif
Oooh, let me ask!
9.gif

Thanks for being so forgiving.
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 8:47:42 AM

Date: 1/16/2009 7:49:42 AM

Not sure if you have already seen this, but here is one of her ''trademark'' designs, the Lotus Blossom setting. I know its a different concept, but similiar feel to what you had in mind, no?

Very pretty, imho.
Similar, but I had something more complicated in mind. Bezel would (go figure) go all around the stone as opposed to this ring, and it would be textured and shaped in a way that it resembles layers and layers of small petals. BTW, your stone being lower than the one in this photo would also make it easier to wear and the whole look would be more balanced IMO. Not to mention that a contrast of gold and garnet would be really something. It''d also be a challenge to the maker though...
Hi again.
Oh yes, I get everything you are saying, and think it sounds like a lovely idea.
It definately sounds like a challenge though.
And yes, I much prefer lower settings, so that will be one of my requests.

I just spent a half hour on one of my fave sites collecting pics, so I think its coming together in my head.
I will keep your idea in mind, it would certainly be a sight to see!

thans ma re.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 9:30:10 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/15/2009 8:42:22 PM

ha ha! Thats ok El, I will be happy to be confused with Coats anyday, especially considering what great jewellery she has.!
Does that mean I get to wear her stuff ?
11.gif
9.gif

awww..look at that lil guy! here ya go..
console2.gif
Oooh, let me ask!
9.gif

Thanks for being so forgiving.
2.gif
Ha, then we will confuse everyone!

For you sweety? Always
5.gif
25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This is more what I''m thinking ma re, a lil simpler..

Of course my umbalite will be in the middle, the side stones will be diamonds, and most likely I would have the gold colours reversed (ie. YG shank and bezel, WG leaves).

Any opinions?

357_.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 9:46:15 AM

Any opinions?
Rose gold leaves?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:28:50 AM

Date: 1/16/2009 9:46:15 AM

Any opinions?
Rose gold leaves?
She doesn't work in rose yet
7.gif

Do you think all YG will provide enough contrast to make out the leaves etc?

Apart from that, what do you think? yay or nay?

Also, does anyone know what size stones I would use for a similiar look/ratio to the pic? My cushion is 8.6mm...10 pointers? bigger?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, for the above I was referring to the side diamonds..too late to edit.
5.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:33:59 AM

She doesn''t work in rose yet
7.gif

Also, does anyone know what size stones I would use for a similiar look/ratio to the pic? My cushion is 8.6mm...10 pointers? bigger?
I''m not the one who should be answering that question
2.gif

It''s a bit on the unusual side for my taste and I prefer more complex designs, but if that''s what you like there''s no reason not to get it. I also like things that look more antique, so this is a bit contemporary and simplistic for me.

I''m not sure all yellow would do much for the leaves. Maybe if she could do some sort of combination of finishes (diamond-cut their edges or something)...

And about those accents, 10 pointers seem the right size to me.

And while I was writing that last sentence something hit me - why not set diamonds on the leaves so that they look like droplets of dew (hope I''m using the right word)? It would make them (both) more noticable!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 11:58:29 AM

Date: 1/16/2009 10:33:59 AM

She doesn''t work in rose yet
7.gif

I''m not the one who should be answering that question
2.gif

It''s a bit on the unusual side for my taste and I prefer more complex designs, but if that''s what you like there''s no reason not to get it. I also like things that look more antique, so this is a bit contemporary and simplistic for me.

I''m not sure all yellow would do much for the leaves. Maybe if she could do some sort of combination of finishes (diamond-cut their edges or something)...

And about those accents, 10 pointers seem the right size to me.

And while I was writing that last sentence something hit me - why not set diamonds on the leaves so that they look like droplets of dew (hope I''m using the right word)? It would make them (both) more noticable!
Good points, all of them
5.gif

Yeah, I''m a very simple, clean lines kinda girl. But I also really like vintage influences - if this were mine, I would have it softened abit, add milgrain to the bezel etc.

And I really like that last suggestion about the dew drops, that would be stunning if could make it work !

You sure have some nice ideas for a guy, Mr ma re, lol..

Ok, must sign off, after 2am here, g''nite
35.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello again,

ma re, (or anyone else that would like to help), what do you think about 14 pointers for the side stones?
I would prefer vintage stones but they''re not proving that easy to find.

I have found a matched pair of ideal cuts. Do you think ideal cuts would be too much next to the umbalite?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice. Good on you!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:15:51 PM
Author: Harriet
Nice. Good on you!
Cheers Harriet!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful stone; can''t wait to see it set!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:28:16 PM
Author: Skippy123
beautiful stone; can''t wait to see it set!
Thanks Skip! Do you have any opinion, side stones or no?
If I go without side stones, it will resemble closer to this design:
(but without the bezeled lil sapphs of course).

1278-link-1.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ I been in Noosa and missed this post Anyhoo I have a mint tourmaline and it a lot deeper in colour but I think it looks great in white gold.
I love this stone you did well.
How exciting!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 2:10:38 AM
Author: katebar
Hi AJ I been in Noosa and missed this post Anyhoo I have a mint tourmaline and it a lot deeper in colour but I think it looks great in white gold.
I love this stone you did well.
How exciting!!!!
Hey kate
35.gif

How was Noosa?

I love your mint tourm, gorgeous!

Did you see the second stone I purchased above? This is my main attraction, lol..

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Is there such a big diference between 10 pointers and 14 pointers (there wasn''t the last time I checked)?!
2.gif
But will they fit your stone or would ideal cuts be too much is all a matter of seeing the stones in person IMO. BTW, you said vintage, have you thought about single cuts (up to 10 points)? They''re quite vintage looking and have been used for centuries (they''re also quite easy to source and not overwhelmingly brilliant). That is if you choose to go with accents of course.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 3:33:27 AM
Is there such a big diference between 10 pointers and 14 pointers (there wasn''t the last time I checked)?!
2.gif
But will they fit your stone or would ideal cuts be too much is all a matter of seeing the stones in person IMO. BTW, you said vintage, have you thought about single cuts (up to 10 points)? They''re quite vintage looking and have been used for centuries (they''re also quite easy to source and not overwhelmingly brilliant). That is if you choose to go with accents of course.
Ya, good points as usual!
Hrmm..I guess I will just wait until I actually have the garnet, and then try to make some decisions.

In all honesty, I may be leaning toward the simplicity of the second setting I posted, without the accents.

Thanks for all your help!

claire909

Rough_Rock
wow! this looks so desirable...got to show it to my husband, and may be i will get lucky to have one in my possession!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 9:03:09 AM
Author: claire909
wow! this looks so desirable...got to show it to my husband, and may be i will get lucky to have one in my possession!
Hi Claire, thats very kind of you to say, cheers!
Are you looking to buy a gemstone?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane oh god I completely overlooked the garnet its stunning!!! I love colour and I am trying to think of of what colour it is. More magnolia than plum. But it is stunning. You have been a busy girl haven''t you.
I want to get a garnet as this is my beloved mothers birth stone but I was not a fan of the darker colour but boy this one is the bomb!
Noosa was the best I have seen it. Perfect weather great shopping and food but way to many of us there spending our summer break tin Australia instead of OS

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
AJ I love your new garnet -- and really like the sound of everything you are considering - can''t wait to see how it turns out - sounds like it will be spectacular!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s beautiful! What are you going to set it in?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results