shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Antique Cut Cushion Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
This lovely actual antique cut cushion is a little shy of 5 carats. There is no grading report but it is from a very reputable vendor (one that many PSers have been very happy with, and I have long admired some of their pieces). Normally I would always prefer for a stone to have a report, but I guess on this one, it is not the most important thing for now.

Please give your honest opinions on how you think it looks! My thoughts are that it is not the most symmetrically antique cut stone (my guess is that it might get only "fair from GIA, although it is hard to say). I can see a couple of small areas where I can tell it is not symmetric. However, I find it to be part of its charm. Also, I know the color is lower, and the warm color of this stone (an M) also seems charming although I have not decided whether or not I actually like really warm stones - I think it is on a stone by stone basis for me.

The stone does have a couple of nicks that I have been told can be polished out with minimal weight loss (only a few points). I can spot 2 nicks on the girdle, one of which is more obvious than the other. As I understand it, this is common for actual antique cuts, and I have been told by the vendor that it does not pose a durability issue. Part of the stone''s charm to me right now is that it is an actual antique cut and not a newly cut stone in the antique cut shape. I also love the chunky facets and flashes of sparkle that come from having the chunkier facets.

Given all of these factors - what do you guys think - is it a keeper? Do you think it has the old world charm? I am a little concerned about the nicks, and I think it is something that I will choose to have polished out in the future.

Kroshka

cushion_1.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very pretty... I will say though that from the top pic the top side of the diamond looks uneven. Is that just the pic? I guess it would depend on price for me... Here is a 5.02 ct M for about 31k... so there's a start...
I agree with tyou when you sam that some of its imperfections add to the charm. It looks very pretty to me... I don't thik I have ever seen an M in person though...

Can you send it off to an independent appraiser to make sure you're getting what you think you are. I don't think you need to have it certed, but you may as well confirm your suspicions. The bottom line it that you love it! Is it for an ering or just for fun?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
krosha, your information is indeed correct - the imperfections on the girdle and the symmetry all contribute to the authenticity of the stone''s provenance and a good appraiser will be more likely to feel it''s an actual antique stone with the qualities you mention. To me, the beauty of such stones is knowing they are indeed old souls. The stone shown looks very clear and limpid, which I personally love. If you can afford it and you love it, I''d send it to an appraiser like Dave Atlas for an appraisal before confirming the purchase. Most old stones don''t have paperwork unless they''ve been removed from their original settings and someone had the foresight to send them into GIA for grading. So it''s not at all unusual. Hence the need for an appraiser who specializes in old cuts.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 12:46:42 PM
Author: CrookedRock
It looks very pretty... I will say though that from the top pic the top side of the diamond looks uneven. Is that just the pic? I guess it would depend on price for me... Here is a 5.02 ct M for about 31k... so there''s a start...

I agree with you when you sam that some of its imperfections add to the charm. It looks very pretty to me... I don''t thik I have ever seen an M in person though...

Can you send it off to an independent appraiser to make sure you''re getting what you think you are. I don''t think you need to have it certed, but you may as well confirm your suspicions. The bottom line it that you love it! Is it for an ering or just for fun?

Hi CrookedRock,

Nope you are right it is a little uneven at the top ever so slightly. That is the reason I''m pretty sure it would only get a Fair grade in the symmetry department or maybe not even?

I guess it is one ering in a collection of more than one?
31.gif

Kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 12:54:50 PM
Author: surfgirl
krosha, your information is indeed correct - the imperfections on the girdle and the symmetry all contribute to the authenticity of the stone''s provenance and a good appraiser will be more likely to feel it''s an actual antique stone with the qualities you mention. To me, the beauty of such stones is knowing they are indeed old souls. The stone shown looks very clear and limpid, which I personally love. If you can afford it and you love it, I''d send it to an appraiser like Dave Atlas for an appraisal before confirming the purchase. Most old stones don''t have paperwork unless they''ve been removed from their original settings and someone had the foresight to send them into GIA for grading. So it''s not at all unusual. Hence the need for an appraiser who specializes in old cuts.

Hi surfgirl,

I really do appreciate knowing that it is an actual antique diamond. And despite it''s flaws, it really does have a special sparkle about it. I have to say I love your stone - it''s so beautiful!

Kroshka

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto. Personally, I really like it! But I''d want an appraisal first to make sure none of the nicks are a big deal and it is what they claim. Assuming it is a good PS vendor, I would think it''s fine, but always a good idea with something that isn''t certed at all.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2008 12:55:08 PM
Author: kroshka

Date: 4/12/2008 12:46:42 PM
Author: CrookedRock
It looks very pretty... I will say though that from the top pic the top side of the diamond looks uneven. Is that just the pic? I guess it would depend on price for me... Here is a 5.02 ct M for about 31k... so there''s a start...

I agree with you when you sam that some of its imperfections add to the charm. It looks very pretty to me... I don''t thik I have ever seen an M in person though...

Can you send it off to an independent appraiser to make sure you''re getting what you think you are. I don''t think you need to have it certed, but you may as well confirm your suspicions. The bottom line it that you love it! Is it for an ering or just for fun?

Hi CrookedRock,

Nope you are right it is a little uneven at the top ever so slightly. That is the reason I''m pretty sure it would only get a Fair grade in the symmetry department or maybe not even?

I guess it is one ering in a collection of more than one?
31.gif

Kroshka
Most genuine antique cuts are "fair" in symmetry..., its part of their character and beauty!
This Diamond looks like a beauty....

Minor nicks or chips are signs of antique authenticity! If not to badly chipped..., I would strongly suggest not to recut as you need a cutter with experience in the field or they may damage further!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your opinion DiaGem - it means a lot! I would never have it recut, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the nicks polished out. The vendor said it really isn''t a durability issue, but for peace of mind in the future do you think it would be a good idea?

Kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi neatfreak,

Yes I''m seriously considering getting an appraisal done. I wish someone like Dave Atlas was local!

Kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
A couple more pics - too bad this one is blurry
8.gif

cushion_hanging.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
This one shows the side clearer.

cushion_side.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2008 1:07:42 PM
Thanks for your opinion DiaGem - it means a lot! I would never have it recut, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the nicks polished out. The vendor said it really isn''t a durability issue, but for peace of mind in the future do you think it would be a good idea?

Kroshka
Kroshka..., nicks and chips are NOT polished out..., they must me cut out!
Most cutters just re-cut the girdle plane until they clean the chipped parts out..., and that is the wrong way to do it!

Be careful.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thanks for clarifying DiaGem - I didn''t know that..... One of the nicks is very minor and the other one is a bit larger and more noticeable, doesn''t look like I have to do something about it, but I think I will try to get a professional opinion on it. Now, if only I could photograph it properly to post.....

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say that stone and that setting are delightful!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the compliment pixley!

jewelrychic1

Rough_Rock
Old Miner''s cut stones don''t have the same sparkle as new age diamonds do. Does it appear yellowish? I''m not sure if its the picture or the stone.

I''d do a little more research on this. If you are looking for an old cut look, I must suggest a rose cut diamond. Check this out. I love their work.

http://www.bayco.com/

I have a friend who owns a 1.07ct rose cut and it is FABULOUS!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 2:43:26 PM
Author: jewelrychic1
Old Miner''s cut stones don''t have the same sparkle as new age diamonds do.
That''s right, they''re even better than modern cut stones (IMO)! More fire. More scintillation. Chunky faceting combined with the liquidity of step cuts. Ahhhhh.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 2:43:26 PM
Author: jewelrychic1
Old Miner''s cut stones don''t have the same sparkle as new age diamonds do. Does it appear yellowish? I''m not sure if its the picture or the stone.

I''d do a little more research on this. If you are looking for an old cut look, I must suggest a rose cut diamond. Check this out. I love their work.

http://www.bayco.com/

I have a friend who owns a 1.07ct rose cut and it is FABULOUS!

Hi jewelrychic1,

This is a warmer colored stone and in certain lights and angles it does have more of a tint to it. However, in this case it''s part of the charm of the stone as is it''s other flaws so to speak. Rose cuts are fabulous! Part of the reason this stone is more special in my eyes is because it is a true antique cushion stone, not a new stone cut in the antique cushion shape. Don''t get me wrong, I like both (and in the future may buy a new cut stone in an antique cut), but my fancy right now is to have an actual antique.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I''ve definitely seen some unattractive antique cut stones (actual antiques and newly cut). It really seems it is on a stone by stone basis, as so many on PScope have said.

Kroshka

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s STUNNING. I''m not an antique expert, but I love the facets, and the way the culet reflects in that one shot is awesome. I don''t think I''d mind the color for me, but sadly it''s not mine, so that doesn''t matter! The chips/nicks wouldn''t bother me either as long as they''re not a durability issue. I''d be worried about getting them cut out because I would imagine it could affect the look of the stone.

However, I do have one issue...I need to see a top down hand shot on the double!
3.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi thing2of2,

I wish the weather was nice today so I could go outside and do more hand shots, this is about the best one I have (and I''m so embarrassed because I really think I have ugly hands). Please excuse my fat index finger too - I squeezed those rings on there so I could have the rings separated but didn''t realize how gross it would make it look after the fact. The thing I do like about this shot though, is that it really puts "size" into perspective amongst all these pet rocks.

kroshka

megasizeme.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s a cute shot of it on my hubby''s pinky.....he has better looking hands than me :p

cushion_2.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really looks like an awesome Old-Mine Cut!
18.gif

Based on the image..., the face up looks bright..., any blue?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, that stone is amazing!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kroshka, your hands are not ugly at all! I can''t see the whole thing but they look pretty to me! And if you''re really worried about it, I think that STUNNING FIVE CARAT CUSHION will distract any viewers away from your hand and right to the rock!
9.gif

I love it, and it looks great on you. I don''t think I told you in my other post, but that setting is really great, too. I love the profile. YUM!

It''s just gorgeous, really. Perfectly imperfect, you know?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
*drool* that looks yummmy especially that last shot the facets look almost like running shiny liquid bubbles (I can''t think of a better way to describe it but I like it :D).

The colour in an old stone would not bother me I think as you said it adds a bit to the charm :) not sure about the nicks though but as surfgirl said get it appraised :).

That stone is really beautiful :)

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 5:10:52 PM
And here''s a cute shot of it on my hubby''s pinky.....he has better looking hands than me :p

Good lord I just fainted! This is a GORGEOUS stone! And the picture is fantastic!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Tell us more!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''m in lurrrrve!
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2008 1:02:49 PM

Hi surfgirl,

I really do appreciate knowing that it is an actual antique diamond. And despite it''s flaws, it really does have a special sparkle about it. I have to say I love your stone - it''s so beautiful!

Kroshka
Thanks for the nice compliment krosha! Having now seen the top down finger shots I''d have to say it looks like a really special stone and you should send it out for appraisal poste haste! I''d just send it to Dave Atlas and let him do your appraisal, or ask him for a recommendation for someone who''s antique-saavy closer to where you live. It looks like it has amazing life and scintillation...and fire, yes?!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
OMG . . .

I mean, really, OMG ! !

That picture just made my eyes cross and gave me the goosebumps.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT ! !

Do not be dissapointed at the slight assymetry of the shape or nicks, that is part of it''s charm. It''s been around a long time, has a long history and was cut way back when. I love those "imperfections" of the old cuts. I don''t think I''d want a "perfect" old cut.

I have a handmade setting that has slight lack of symmetry here and there. You can figure out that it was hand. I love that.

Can I ask who the Vendor is?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, look, kozibe effect too. How very cool.

Why can't they make them like this anymore? Sigh.

Does it have any flouresence?

And look at the crown on it, in the side shot.

Great setting too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results